Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Here is a new color test on the gems...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...olor_Test1.jpg

This is just for the gems with transparency. The solid gems like pearls and opals will have a smooth surface and no transparency. I'll get to them next.

I'm thinking that the #5 & 10, and #6 & 9 might be too close in color to use all 4, the 9-10 gems look a tad better in definition and color. the rest seem to be distinct enough to be able to be used for the variety of gems in AO. Adding the opals and pearls to the mix to fill out the holes, this would leave us with room for extra 'new' gems.

What do you all think?

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Looks pretty good...it actually almost makes me wonder if the icon would be better looking something like that instead of showing the full ring...but that's just me
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

Quote Originally Posted by gimpmasta View Post
    ...it actually almost makes me wonder if the icon would be better looking something like that instead of showing the full ring...
    I was thinking of the exact same thing when I saw those, maybe zoomed out just a slight bit so you see a little more of the ring. Not sure how it would work, it's nice to have the basic ring and the set ring have almost the same icon for easier refferance...

But what bothers me most... Rings arn't showed on charracter so I can't wear these beauties

Great work!

Yes, using those "closeups" on rings that has a gem would be perfect IMHO. You can see the silver/gold/platnium base and the gem is "lifted" up. And since it is the part that makes the type of ring...
    Well I guess you get my point

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    Here is a new color test on the gems...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...olor_Test1.jpg

What do you all think?

Cheers!
    I hate to be pedantic and suggest more work for you, but I believe different gem types have different cuts, so basically different coloured gemstones could look different, would make the ones that are similar in colour more easily identifiable as well.

I'm no expert but Gem cuts or even Popular Cuts

Might give some ideas.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    I hate to be pedantic and suggest more work for you, but I believe different gem types have different cuts, so basically different coloured gemstones could look different, would make the ones that are similar in colour more easily identifiable as well.

Might give some ideas.
    He's already created better looking icons than the devs ever have, so I don't think he needs to improve much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post

Might give some ideas.
    Hi there, I fully understand that different gems have different cuts, and that the final 'cuts' are not limited by the gem. That's why they are cut. the idea of these rings is to be able to distinguish between the different gems once mounted. I'm giving the 'raw' and 'cut gems' a variety of different 'cuts' for some visual eye candy, but for the 'mounted' gems there are several full sets that need to be made. Being a long time veteran of doing game art, sometimes (and this is one of those times) keeping it simple will be more than addequite for the game needs. The idea is to make it easier to identify the different rings when a gem is added. I'm not even planning to make a different mount/gem style for the 'regular gem' and the 'perfectly cut' versions. Just using a version of the ring with and without a gem will see me making over 300 new rings for AO. a slight improvement over the 4 or 5 rings being used now for all those rings. I think using the 'color' as the main identifier will be fine. I will be making many other rings on top of these 'gemed' filigree and basic rings. I'll estimate about 500-600 new rings for the game. a deffinate improvement over the 34 rings (total) currently in the game.

But you are right, different gem types have different cuts. I'm just not going to go into that kind of detail. It's a question of balance between the time to make them all different, and making the batch look good and get them done fast.

Cheers!

Actually.

Any gemstone type can be cut in any style. There has been, traditionally, some cuts associated with some gemstones. But nowadays it is not what happens. Cuts are adapted and modified to minimize weight loss when cutting gems, because they are sold by weight (cut stones not mounted). I would suggest the use of some simple cuts, with less facets (thats the flat surfaces around the gem) to reduce both the amount of your work and make them easier to distinguish in the reduced image. The use of one cut only in the mounted ring seems logical, but it may require some care in the choice of colors for the gems. Most gemstones have a wide range of colors they show. But even those have normally a specific color that is considered the best and most distinct. For example, emerald is a slightly dark bluish green, while peridot is a lighter yellowish green color. I think you could maybe use those distinctions to distinguish between the different stones. Just an idea.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    I would suggest the use of some simple cuts, with less facets (thats the flat surfaces around the gem) to reduce both the amount of your work and make them easier to distinguish in the reduced image.
    This.

I agree that we don't need different cuts, but for the one cut I would also prefer something a little simpler and more gem-y. Personally, I would like to see something less round with fewer facets.

The idea to leave the rings as in your last example, zoomed in on the stone, is great too. It wouldn't be entirely canonical I think (any icons like that in the DB at all?), but it works well. If you need to or want to stick with the whole ring, maybe you could try showing them at a near top angle? That would leave the focus on the stone.

Love the rings in general, btw, and can't wait to see them in-game. Not sure if you have enough designs already, but I'd be excited to see more like the early ones (although I understand that there are loads of similar gem rings you want to get sorted out)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballux View Post
    If you need to or want to stick with the whole ring, maybe you could try showing them at a near top angle? That would leave the focus on the stone.
    i agree with Ballux here. By changing the angle a bit so the stone comes more in front, it will both make sure everyone can recognize it as a ring + recognize the stone better.

My time got hijacked these past few days, here is a sample with a few new icons for robot junk, I inserted a few of the new rings and a new angled and cropped version of the filigree ring with gem..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._TestFit01.jpg

Let me know if you think this style for the 'gemmed rings' will work? I think it helps to make the gem more visible, and the 'filigree' part of the ring is easier to see.

Cheers!

My time got hijacked these past few days, here is a sample with a few new icons for robot junk, I inserted a few of the new rings and a new angled and cropped version of the filigree ring with gem..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._TestFit01.jpg

Let me know if you think this style for the 'gemmed rings' will work? I think it helps to make the gem more visible, and the 'filigree' part of the ring is easier to see.

Cheers!
    Good work with the "gemmed rings" looks so good a bit more zoomed then the actual ratio...

After seeing your rings my gf decided AO might be good enough after all and upgraded her froob account instead of renewing WoW.

How about this for the Kyr'Ozch Data Core,. it's smooth, it's blue and it resonates data...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rDataCore1.jpg

it's a transparent blue sphere with second a data sphere inside, so the inner texture is easy to change if variations are needed.

Cheers!
    Well, like said above, all alien things are generally green-tinted. And the icon is rather small and unclear. Not good to put too much fine detail in there, but not sure if the icon size is the size it can max be, or smaller... as in, are the boxes you use to portray the things 48x48 (too lazy to check ), cause if they are, it's too small. And not green enough
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I think.

We are in business. Fo sure.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Sentient Cold Stone

So, a suggestion for more work (bear with me, please)

You've redone the Cold Stone, another item associated with it is the Sentient Cold Stone (tradeskilled from the original Cold Stone by using a Nano Programming Interface) which could use a makeover as well - even though it should probably be a very subtle one compared to the original one.

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=203648
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Well, like said above, all alien things are generally green-tinted. And the icon is rather small and unclear. Not good to put too much fine detail in there, but not sure if the icon size is the size it can max be, or smaller... as in, are the boxes you use to portray the things 48x48 (too lazy to check ), cause if they are, it's too small. And not green enough
    As I said way back in the beginning of all this.. I 'guessed' that the final icon size is 48x48..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rlay_Size1.jpg

If you look at this image, the Underlay I made is a 48x48 gradient filled box with a 1 pixel border and the outer corner pixel of the 48x48 box is colored to match the border. This gives a quick 'rounded' corner look to the box.

Beside it is an actual inventory underlay icon from AO. it is 54x54 in size. I took a 48x48 size box and stamped it centered on the AO icon. the 48x48 icon seemed a perfect fit. So, I guessed that the actual icon sizes used in AO are 48x48.

I also noticed that all the icon images at Auno.org or the aodb site are 48x48 .gif images. Scanning screen shots of the game with many backpacks open (zooming in) seemed to support that the icons in AO are using a 256 color 8-bit palette.

That is how I arrived at the 'Guess' of the final icon size being 48x48 in AO.

That said, I am still waiting for replies to my Inquiries about the 'official' icon size and file format. (I sure hope they can use .png images in the new engine with proper alpha channel transparencies) I can make my icons 256 color .gif with a transparency, I got the tools to do it. But my fingers are crossed for .png support in the new engine.

There it is in a nutshell, everything I know about the AO icons.

Cheers!

P.S. I added a 4th icon that I made based on the current AO Underlay, using the AO colors but upgrading the gradient fill and icon to 24 bit color.

Needs more grime!
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    So, a suggestion for more work (bear with me, please)

You've redone the Cold Stone, another item associated with it is the Sentient Cold Stone (tradeskilled from the original Cold Stone by using a Nano Programming Interface) which could use a makeover as well - even though it should probably be a very subtle one compared to the original one.

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=203648
    Earlier in the thread there was a similar request regarding the JAME blaster.Prototype.. I made some quick examples of how simply recoloring the existing models could help distinguish some of the 'reused' items in the game..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._Prog_Int1.jpg

I did this quick adjustment to the Nano Programming Interface, is the change too subtle? or is this the type of thing you had in mind?..

Cheers!

Likee new angle on gemmed rings + robot junk!

Your concept of changing a few parts of existing icons for improved versions seems to work well, too. If we get moah new icons that way, I'm all for it!

Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast