Page 1 of 67 123456789101112131415161718192051 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Hi All,

I've been playing for close to 5 years now, and one thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way about AO is the reuse of the same inventory graphic and simply renaming it.. Look I found a Juggler's treat, errm wait it's an OT ring, no,.. it's an augmented OT ring, nooo, it's a Notum ring.. hmm they all look the same.. grrrrrrrr

I did some serious searching and found that there are only 29 unique 'Ring Graphics' in the game but several hundred different named rings in the game. I'm a gaming artist and it always bugged me that the little details like this get pushed aside and claims of it would take too long to fill in the blank Inventory item slots for 'reused graphics'. I say that's Horse Hockey! Today I decided to see how long it would take me to make 29 new rings for use as inventory graphics (matching the current number of rings graphics in the game).. just making rings off and on through the day, an estimated 6-7 hours of actual work and I got 29 new rings made.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...wAO_Rings1.jpg

AO rings on the left and the new rings I made on the right. (I included 2 larger renderings of rings so you can see the quality of the work)

I'd estimate that about a single week would be needed, and only one artist to finally put the reused graphics 'bug' to sleep once and for all. no more repetitive use of the same graphic in your inventory, no more accidently scraping your Biocomm processing what you thought was a monster part but actually was a half digested body part...

Funcon, please take care of the age old eyesore. fill in the holes in your items database.. for the love of AO, do it now!

Ok, I'm done venting, but seriously, you guys give us game artists a bad name. you either have the laziest artists in the industry, or all your artists have lost interest in the Anarchy Online Franchise.

Did I say I'm done venting? I am now.. Cheers!

EDIT: I've been asked to update this first post to give everyone a better idea of where I am at in the artwork, here goes...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s_Sample-1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Gem_Chart1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...olor_Test1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ff_Recap01.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ff_Recap02.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ng_Sample1.jpg

There are a bunch of other stuff for those who want to take the time to browse the thread, but the above samples give you a better idea of where I am at. The renderings of the new filigree rings are now like what you see in this backpack sample..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._TestFit01.jpg

That should be enough to encourage anyone to browse the whole thread.

Latest update is the finished Filigree Rings, Silver, Gold and Platinum, here's a sample of the final look..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ngs_Sample.jpg

Cheers!
    Last edited by Docaholic; Mar 2nd, 2010 at 16:21:47. Reason: Update my Work In Progress

I couldn't bump this more even if I drove my damned car into it.

All it ever showed me was a lack of depth & creativity which ruins, albeit a small part of the game play for me when they use the same goddamned textures for things. It's been a pet peeve of mine with AO for ages. Its more obvious with the newer stuff, you can easily spot where the creativity is lacking, for want of a better word.

Nice work on the rings btw, I liked those
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Whether it gets implemented or not, I just want to compliment you on your art.

Bump for this idea.

(wtb moar toe ringz!)

Nice work funcom should hire you

Very cool ring designs Not only would I support this, but some way to visibly display your rings would be even more awesome.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

In general, I agree with the OP, and it's not just the ring icons that are being constantly recycled like this, but a fair number of other things (actually, some of these ring icons themselves also double as "circlet" type of headwear, and even as bracelets in some cases).
    And the new rings designed and showcased in the OP indeed look very good, while staying within the generic feel and look of the "official" ring designs.

One reason I can think of for this kind of asset recycling aside possible the lack of creativity or time to do it properly is, or now rather only was, the limited DB size.
    Before the 18.x update line, Means said that the at that time current DB structure was running out of entry space so maybe they simply couldn't afford to add too many new assets because of that, and had to resort to reusing things that were already in the DB and just had to be linked to the new items.

However, since that's not the case any more, maybe (hopefully) we'll see some improvements in this regard.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Bump, that work is tremendous. I wouldnt even mind seeing the majority of those in game they're of such good quality, although FC does have alot 'else' to be doing - updating small things like this along the way helps the player feel like AO is still improving, going somewhere and is still perfecting.

/bump!

I'd gladly make more rings and stuff if Funcom asked. the only thing I'd need would be file specs for the bitmaps.. transparent gif? .png images with alpha chanel? .bmp with a mask? what size are the bitmaps? I guessed 48x48 but that was just a guess.

I'd also need to be able to see/edit the DB to plug the images in. hmmm.. maybe start a Community DB hunt.. spot the duplicate items (graphically speaking) and post them. then see if I and any other artists that play can make new artwork for Funcom's consideration.

But first we need the file specs.. Funcom? can you hear us?

Cheers, and thanks for the kind words about the rings.

P.S. here are some other things I did awhile back.. a few monster parts and gems..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...OPicWork01.png

Bump for you for good work.

[FC] Give him free play time for making graphics for you and just taking his ideas. Win-win for everyone. New textures for us, no real work on your side, and Doc gets compensated a bit
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Bump, the amount of laziness in using the same old models is amazing.
    --Clan "Howlin" Messiah

Howlin banned indefinitely by Gorafk Reason: Clan "Howlin" Messiah

If that large rendering on the left existed IRL, I would wear it. Damn that is hot!

That's some great work. And bump for more inventory graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I once got petitioned for "impersonating FC personal" for claiming I ran helpbot.

Bump for awesome graphics work, and more unique icons.

But, if you expect every icon/texture/etc to be unique, you should also expect your subscription fee to double. That's alot of work.
    Because Race Yalm

Well i think this is a very good idea and it would shine up ao a bit for the new engine, bumb

Some of those rings are bracers!
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Honorbound View Post
    One reason I can think of for this kind of asset recycling aside possible the lack of creativity or time to do it properly is, or now rather only was, the limited DB size.
    Before the 18.x update line, Means said that the at that time current DB structure was running out of entry space so maybe they simply couldn't afford to add too many new assets because of that, and had to resort to reusing things that were already in the DB and just had to be linked to the new items.

However, since that's not the case any more, maybe (hopefully) we'll see some improvements in this regard.
    I thought they didn't even know that was a problem until it almost became a problem?

Firstly they're called icons. 2ndly sorry if you actually have to read the description of the item to know what it is.

Funcom employee

Some really impressive stuff - Good job. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Page 1 of 67 123456789101112131415161718192051 ... LastLast