Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Tricks in the AO GUI

Lightbulb Tips & Tricks in the AO GUI

i kid

but never read about this tip so I figured i'd share.
    after a full ipr, or just maxing a line, at higher levels it can take maybe a min or so per line.

while on my 69 nt yesterday, decided i wanted to max nr because those spirts were ruining my life.

so while clicking on the + sign, i hit the alt button and voila.
    bar maxed.

i tried with dodge range, and it maxed it to bout half since i was out of ip.

finally precious minutes saved
    Brutalthug16 - Resident Testlive Noobie
    Hellrule - RK1 crat
    Hellhealer - RK1 doc

I'll have to try this hmm

Oh heh wow it works lol thanks! Quite a nifty find

you didnt know this? :P I use Ctrl+click

<3 it, makes leveling at low levels that much more bearable
    Proud member of JVC and HoBS
    Uptheadvy(214/14 Opi Adventurer)*Teh Main*
    Plix(177/?? NM Crat) *Teh RoleModel*
    Pureuncut(169/5 Soli Nano-Tech) *Teh Kitezors*
    Keepemded(150/10 Trox Keeper) *Teh s10 twink*
    Rawkinbots(150/?? Soli Engineer) *Teh Tradeskiller*

Nice one, think we can get some ARKs attention and move this to knowledge section or something?
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Hehe yeah, there are many shortcuts like this in AO that most people don't even know about.

I myself used to take my hand off the mouse and then press 0 on the key-pad in order to turn on auto-run. While doing this, I had to stop running for a split second while turning on the autorun. Then, maaaany YEARS later, I found out that all I had to do was to run forward like I always do by pressing W, then hold down the left shift button with my pinky and let go of the W-button to turn on auto run (and then let go of shift). My char would also not stop briefly while this was done but instead keep running.

The shift+W trick takes 0.1 sec to do and you don't have to take your hands or even fingers off any buttons or the mouse to do it and your character never stops running in the process. It's so much better.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 5th, 2009 at 20:35:19.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Hehe yeah, there are many shortcuts like this in AO that most people don't even know about.

I myself used to take my hand off the mouse and then press 0 on the key-pad in order to turn on auto-run. While doing this, I had to stop running for a split second while turning on the autorun. Then, maaaany YEARS later, I found out that all I had to do was to run forward like I always do by pressing W, then hold down the left shift button with my pinky and let go of the W-button to turn on auto run (and then let go of shift). My char would also not stop briefly while this was done but instead keep running.

The shift+W trick takes 0.1 sec to do and you don't have to take your hands or even fingers off any buttons or the mouse to do it and your character never stops running in the process. It's so much better.
    I knew the maxing a line of skill but never knew the run thing, sweet!

Everyone share their possibly obscure shortcuts here!
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Most people probably know about these two (or 3) but I'll post em anyway.

If you hit enter (to start typing a message) and then hold down shift, you can press up and down buttons to scroll through previous messages. So if you want to say something twice, you can hit enter, press shift+up and then hit enter to send that message again. You can scroll back through loooooads of messages as the buffer seems to be quite large. It even seems the buffer retains messages from the last time you were online.

Edit: I edited out the tip about cycling through tell messages as I can't seem to get it to work any more. Maybe I remembered wrong but I was so sure it was possible to do this. I'll re-edit this if I remember how this was done, if it really was possible in the first place.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 6th, 2009 at 00:36:58.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Most people probably know this already but I actually only found out about it recently-ish, all your perk actions can be found inthe controls window by pressing ctrl+2, Then scrolling down (lol I never really used this window much so I never found out about it)

I used to actually go into the long route and click on menu > actions > perk actions and select them from there :S

Quote Originally Posted by navycut View Post
    Most people probably know this already but I actually only found out about it recently-ish, all your perk actions can be found inthe controls window by pressing ctrl+2, Then scrolling down (lol I never really used this window much so I never found out about it)

I used to actually go into the long route and click on menu > actions > perk actions and select them from there :S
    haha I only discovered that, after years of playing, when I had to petition from a mates pc as I couldn't see the proper list on the tiny screen. -1 for being dumb on that one I felt lol
    On a plus side, i already knew all the other shortcuts posted lol
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Most people probably know about these two (or 3) but I'll post em anyway.

If you hit enter (to start typing a message) and then hold down shift, you can press up and down buttons to scroll through previous messages. So if you want to say something twice, you can hit enter, press shift+up and then hit enter to send that message again. You can scroll back through loooooads of messages as the buffer seems to be quite large. It even seems the buffer retains messages from the last time you were online.

Also, if you hit shift+R to automatically start a reply in tells to the last person that sent you a tell, you can hold down shift and press up or down to cycle through all the tells messages you have done lately. Same as with the normal messages thing I posted above but this one only shows you the tells you have done.
    These two I knew about. The first one has come in handy for me whenever I have had to do a shout-out multiple times at a party and I'm too lazy to make a button. Best example would be an impromptu contest. The second one I stopped using because it can lead to some really bad mistells (if someone else sends you a tell before you hit enter and you don't notice, it will go to that new person rather than the person you are supposed to be responding to).
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Quote Originally Posted by vallikat View Post
    These two I knew about. The first one has come in handy for me whenever I have had to do a shout-out multiple times at a party and I'm too lazy to make a button. Best example would be an impromptu contest. The second one I stopped using because it can lead to some really bad mistells (if someone else sends you a tell before you hit enter and you don't notice, it will go to that new person rather than the person you are supposed to be responding to).
    Unless they've changed it since I last logged into game, shift+r actually puts the individual's name who you're about to send a tell to in the chat bar, a'la /tell *so and so*. You're thinking of just typing /r ... which yes, has led me into some strange messages to try to explain.
    Villagebike - 220/22 Metaphysicist - Rebuilding
    Fyxi - 220/25 Fixer - Schtuff
    Nullnvoid - 164/6 Keeper - Supahgimp
    Skrappy - 150/2() Agent - wtb axpeh pl0x
    Irolldadvlol - 60/2 Adventurer - Ubahgimp

Quote Originally Posted by Means
    "FC Nerfsquad" When I have that made into a t-shirt I'll give you full credit.
    Join Primal Instinct in Age of Conan
    give it some love

Funcom employee

Title changed and moved to Knowledge Database. Nice to have a collection of little tips/tricks for the game that others may not be aware of. =) If the thread grows, I'll either sticky it or add it to the 'bookmarks' sticky-thread.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Possibly also fairly well known but somewhat related to Wrangeline's tip:

When having a window active (by pressing enter or clicking in the input bar) you can scroll through your windows (including tabbed ones) by pressing Alt+Enter. Alt+Shift+Enter does the same thing but in the opposite "direction"
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Some more well known ones:

Click someones name when they appear in your chat window (because they said something in vicinity, OOC, shopping channel or such) to send them a tell. This way you don't have to write /tell NAME.

Click on the name of a channel in your chat window (just like with characters names) such as raid, OOC, shopping channel, guild chat or so on in order to switch to that channel. That way you don't have to right click the chat window and navigate menus to switch channel.

Right click someones name in chat window and select "ignore". This way you don't have to type /ignore NAME.

When you wish to set up your chat windows more effectively, you can right click one of the open chat windows and select "chat configuration". This will open up a pop-up-window that contains the names of all your windows and a list of all the channels available for each window. Here you can turn on and off channels for each window without having to right click a window, navigate menus to subscribe/unsubscribe individual channels 1 by 1.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 6th, 2009 at 00:30:37.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Edited my previous post to remove a tip that apparently doesn't work. (Post #8)
    Veteran of Equilibrium

switching hotbars

You can switch hotbars by pressing Alt+1, Alt+2 etc etc.

Scrolling hotbars

Holding shift+1, shift+2 etc you can 'scroll' through your hotbar.

here's a neat trick:

when you open trade with me and give me all your credits, i'll /disco \n /slap.

:P

had ta
    RK1
    "Send Pics Plz". Meta-Wha? Noodz plz. 83/8.
    "Eye Makeshiz Foryou". Pimpin' Eng Of Doom. he's the SHIZ. 174/18.
    "Jack Grafter Torrence". I Like To Boom Boom Booooom. 220/zomg. AI30! .

RK2
    "Perk Grafter Reset". 216/22. RK2's Retired Bukkake Doc. idle since 2007.
    "Perk Graftor Reset". 142/15. RK2's Retired Pvp Doc idle since 2006

my thread title nerfed!
    some nice goodies though.

bump
    Brutalthug16 - Resident Testlive Noobie
    Hellrule - RK1 crat
    Hellhealer - RK1 doc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast