Thread: disconnected alot on 10/3? blame internet

disconnected alot on 10/3? blame internet

For those of you that were getting disconnected alot yesterday there was a problem with the internet.
    Specifically WorldCom and its' subsidiary UUnet had troubles all day yesterday on the long haul backbones which provide the majority of internet traffic.
    I don't have a link to a news story because I got the info from a friend who is a router tech.

Worldcom is involved in a corporate wrongdoing scandal that is so popular lately, and have, I heard, shut down their business. Which is a horrible thing since they own most of the internet backbone equipment and maintain it. Worldcom says "only" businesses should be effected. Ya right. Like businesses use a different internet than we do. All we can do is hope Worldcom gets replaced soon.
    • Shenhiroko: Martial Artist: RK1-OmniTek: Entropy Dawn Org
    • Codewitch: Nano Technician: RK1-Clan
    Main Profession: Explorer of Rubi-Ka
    Latest News:My NT is dual wielding Leet dolls until I can find Fazeka Crystal...Phear the Leets!

Originally posted by Shenhiroko
    Worldcom is involved in a corporate wrongdoing scandal that is so popular lately, and have, I heard, shut down their business. Which is a horrible thing since they own most of the internet backbone equipment and maintain it. Worldcom says "only" businesses should be effected. Ya right. Like businesses use a different internet than we do. All we can do is hope Worldcom gets replaced soon.
    Actually part of that's horribly inaccurate ... the outage had nothing to do with worldcom's accounting woes. The outage was caused by a mangled software upgrade on their routers, according to Worldcom, and those of us sitting on the wrong end of worldcom circuits had intermittent connectivity failures for most of an eight hour period. It didn't matter if you were a business customer or not. If you were trying to get anywhere across the worldcom backbone in the US, you might have had problems.

(there's also a rumor that it wasn't a software upgrade failure, but a change in their edge filtering policy that caused an overflow on their routing tables by flooding the boxes with too many routes for BGP and the available RAM to handle ... but nobody from worldcom PR has come out and said that. heh.)

Or maybe they cause these failures on purpose to show that the internet needs them, and since they declared banckruptcy they are hoping the govt. will bail them out.

Don't put anything past a megacorp.

Oh and this topic is really OT and should be moved to OT forum, yes?
    • Shenhiroko: Martial Artist: RK1-OmniTek: Entropy Dawn Org
    • Codewitch: Nano Technician: RK1-Clan
    Main Profession: Explorer of Rubi-Ka
    Latest News:My NT is dual wielding Leet dolls until I can find Fazeka Crystal...Phear the Leets!