Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sign here if you would like a pure PvE server

PvP in a MMORPG = dumb. You wanna pay $13 a month to kill another player in a virtual manner? Especially in a poorly thought out and unbalanced manner. Then you're a sucker and you're being ripped off. The first-person shooters make you sick with vertigo, do they?

Companies that have this brainless idea that people want a PvP MMORPG have no clue. Look at the MMORPG's in existence. They're engineered, for the most part, toward teaming and social goal-setting. Even the Ubermeister of all PvP MMORPG's, UO, bowed to reality and made their game pro-PvE (or pro-tradeskill).
    Um.. k?

I've been playing UO since Sept '97, and PvP is - and has always been - the best thing about that game (well, maybe not so much is as was.. but still). I can tell you that the majority player base of the dedicated UO players were all PvPers.. until they nerfed precasting anyway. AC? Darktide was one of the most active servers around. DAoC? That whole game is based around large-scale PvP. Shadowbane? That's going to have an enormous focus on PvP, as well.

And yeah, I'd rather pay $13 a month to kill another player and actually get some satisfaction out of the fact that I put some effort into it instead of paying $13 a month to sit there and kill the same brainless mobs, day after day.

FPSs? Yeah, I've been playing CS since beta 2.. and hldm for years. If you're even trying to compare that kind of 'pvp' to pvp in mmorpgs, then damn.. =x

thats a cool idea

that would be great, since i don't pvp... /shrug

but it goes agains the whole North South idea of AO.
    Healios clan Doctor
    Megawattz clan Enforcer
    Gaspard clan Adventurer

Bump for a PvE server. but... introduce ideas such as "Guild War" and "Dual Mode". that way, people can still fight one-on-one if they want, or have thier whole guild be PvPable to another guild. Controlled PvP heh
    ~Ralakan
    w0t0 Guild leader (No longer Retired )
    Chief Engineer, RK2

Originally posted by Ralakan
    Bump for a PvE server. but... introduce ideas such as "Guild War" and "Dual Mode". that way, people can still fight one-on-one if they want, or have thier whole guild be PvPable to another guild. Controlled PvP heh
    read: I am confused and dont know what pve means

PvP in a MMORPG = dumb. You wanna pay $13 a month to kill another player in a virtual manner? Especially in a poorly thought out and unbalanced manner. Then you're a sucker and you're being ripped off. The first-person shooters make you sick with vertigo, do they?

Companies that have this brainless idea that people want a PvP MMORPG have no clue. Look at the MMORPG's in existence. They're engineered, for the most part, toward teaming and social goal-setting. Even the Ubermeister of all PvP MMORPG's, UO, bowed to reality and made their game pro-PvE (or pro-tradeskill).

Shadowbane is doomed to fail 'cos of this idea.

It's quite simple. There are a plethora of FPS's out there that'll give you all the giggles you can have. Most of them have well made and diversified methods to waste your opponent and provide endless hours of after-work catharsis.

More importantly, they give you this all for the price of the game itself and your ISP. AO and other "red" MMORPG's, can't give you that. You're paying above and beyond for something that is sorely lacking in execution.

1) Every MMORPG EVER has had pvp in it
    2) I play both fps and mmorpg
    3) killing AI is just a matter of knowing the recipy, ai is stupid, people (well most) arent.
    4) Shadowbane will die not because of its pvp roots, but because it sucks (I am a beta tester).
    5) you are the trolliest care bear I ever seen
    6) UO has always had pve, pvp AND tradeskills, as a matter of fact they just changed the rules *again* and I can kill you 98567834985743985734985743 times without stat loss now.
    7) many eq people get bored on their carebear servers and are paying to be moved to pvp servers.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

HEY CARE BEARS

Look right here!!

Take a close look at the zones in the game !!

There is only 1 mayham and 3 zones whice are 25% !!
    The rest of the server is opened 75% or 100%.
    So yes, you carebears have won!! The current game blows for pvp. What are you whining bout ? Let me guess.
    You went into 2h0 and forgot to scan!!

The reason players pvp is for the challenge that an npc does not give! To judge people for enjoying that challege is wrong!!

I'll be interrested to see the game state of ao in four months!

Originally posted by Paxton

*whistles* trollin trollin trollin

I'm sort of in a good mood today I'll explain it to you: I put absolutely no passion in my statements, but I got a lot out of you. Sort of a little game I play...
    lol you put very passionate words in your statements and then say there is no passion in them. Then when someone else uses passionate words you assume there is passion in it. lol

you funny guy

the odds of anything in this thread having any value at all are about .000000000001 in 1000000000000

only about 3 people on the boards know how to "push my buttons" and you aint one of them.

hehe

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

PvP is bringing a new form of AI to a game, that of a player, with better skill than an NPC that has 100x normal HP spinning in circles because its target is standing on the edge of the room.

FYI ... AI = artifical inteligence

People are not ai... thank you please drive through

what a fun little thread, trolls and idiots everywhere!

(and yes I know some of you think I am one or both of those roflol)

ROFLOL

Originally posted by Yazule

FYI ... AI = artifical inteligence

People are not ai... thank you please drive through

what a fun little thread, trolls and idiots everywhere!

(and yes I know some of you think I am one or both of those roflol)
    No, not AI, but in some cases NI.
    I grouped with a few people who exhibited astounding NI this morning.

As for a 'No PvP server'....
    You can experience 99% of the game without ever taking part in non-consensual PvP.

Originally posted by Miir

No, not AI, but in some cases NI.
    I grouped with a few people who exhibited astounding NI this morning.

As for a 'No PvP server'....
    You can experience 99% of the game without ever taking part in non-consensual PvP.

roflol

ROFLOL

Peisinoe writes:

Seeing as they are the transient population, I find their needs and wants neglible.
    Seeing as how they have the non-transient population hooked, and need the trasients for cash flow, FC would be better served by ignoring the non-transients. Besides, your attitude is antisocial in the extreme.

My personal ethics forbid my participation in PvP. At any level. I would sooner quit AO than take part in attacking even the avatar of another human being. I can hunt mobs because a servers AI doesn't fall under my definition of intelligent life. Every person who logs into the game does, even the immature grief killers.

Everyone who enjoys PKing (I can understand consenting PvP) should have to look down the wrong end of a gun in RL, or work with a sociopathic ex-con who would kill you for your paycheck if he ran short on cash. Value your humanity. There are plenty of people who don't.

Yes, humanity has a dark side. I refuse to be part of it.

Originally posted by DocSmock
    Peisinoe writes:

Seeing as how they have the non-transient population hooked, and need the trasients for cash flow, FC would be better served by ignoring the non-transients. Besides, your attitude is antisocial in the extreme.

My personal ethics forbid my participation in PvP. At any level. I would sooner quit AO than take part in attacking even the avatar of another human being. I can hunt mobs because a servers AI doesn't fall under my definition of intelligent life. Every person who logs into the game does, even the immature grief killers.

Everyone who enjoys PKing (I can understand consenting PvP) should have to look down the wrong end of a gun in RL, or work with a sociopathic ex-con who would kill you for your paycheck if he ran short on cash. Value your humanity. There are plenty of people who don't.

<<< pacifist irl
    <<< knows that everyone needs to vent agression
    <<< loves pvp

ROFLOL

PvP server would be a great idea

a PvP server would rock but there is 1 thing that would become difficult. Try to gain lvl while some1 is shooting at u
    Last edited by Rycho; Oct 9th, 2002 at 09:09:43.
    Rycho - 205 NT *lost soul*

My thingys

What's my name?

Ok, Care Bears I know this may be a foreign concept, but it's called "reading comprehension"....

The name of the game is Anarchy Online, not coddle me so I can be a non-impacted, never having to face any kind of danger, hope I can level with my team of 6 vs. 1 MOB, player!

Anarchy
    an·ar·chy Pronunciation Key (nr-k)
    n. pl. an·ar·chies
    1.)Absence of any form of political authority.
    2.)Political disorder and confusion.
    3.)Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

The game is based on conflict. It's core principle is 2 sides fighting against one another.

If you don't appreciate this, comprehend it, or understand the principles of words like struggle, oppression, WAR, or ANARCHY...
    please move on and "Have a nice day".

Coag
    So, it's sorta social, Demented and SAD, but social.
    (The Breakfast Club)
    Coagulator - General of the Professionals

D

LOL

Re: D

Originally posted by LittleTotem

LOL

ROFLOL

Originally posted by DocSmock
    Peisinoe writes:

I pvp and have had a loaded gun put in my face irl (twice), and your point is?
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Cutting thru the posts:

I used to hate PvP, and wanted a server just like you do now.

Then I realised "hey, this is war, it happens, I better be more careful"

Then I was introduced, gently, into PvP by fellow guildies. Sure, its only PvP duels against members of the same guild, but its fun! I am looking forward to getting involved in full-scale battles.

Oh, and yes, ganking sucks. I'd suggest you consider solutions to ganking, not separating the players between servers. The best solution so far is to remove the PvP titles. I see no point to them anyway, they mean, prove and add nothing. As this is war, its all about capturing and keeping land.

Hopefully the booster will fix many issues, and will ease the ganking issues you have been involved in. On can only hope, eh?
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

The proof is in the pudding...

The simple fact is that EQ (and love it or hate it, it's the most popular game with the highest subscriber counts by far) showed definitivly that the majority of players do not want PVP.

EQ has what... 40ish servers. Of those you could count all of the PVP servers and racewar servers on one hand.

Simple fact: majority of users prefer no PVP.

Despite the vocality of the PVP crowd, they do not represent the majority.

There's no need to explain why most people would prefer no PVP because most people already understand.

I for one would love to see an AO server that has no PVP. Put it in place with the clear understanding that after 6 months, if subscriptions/attendance is low on that server that it will be converted back to standard.

Oh and please provide transfers to this server because if everyone starts out on new server together it will be massive crowding in non-mission hunting areas for under 50 for the first month.

Well, gee

Really, AO is pretty much non-pvp!! Like I have said BEFORE there are very few zones to really PvP! GANKING is not pvp. Ganking is a cowardly action taken by another player who jumps in the middle of a duel and takes out 1 or both of the people dueling. (My opinion)

Now, the people that do pvp are players who take allot of time and care in their character. Look at their character like a model car. They test and tweak to get the best performance they can.
    Then they head off to battle. Most of the good pvp players are not mean or rude there just having fun with their model!! I sit in 2h0 with my agent (silentfrost) all the time. I'm just looking for a target, any target. If I attack it is nothing personal but I meant to do it! I'm not mean or rude if I die. Now, I get tells the entire time bout how evil I’ am. I just laugh it off.

Look no one likes to die, that is a given. The game is based on a conflict (hence the storyline) so be prepared as needed.

I really don't see funcom making another server for pve but if they do that is fine enjoy it. I'll stay on RK2 till another game comes around hunting with my agent in 2h0 not leveling!

Re: The proof is in the pudding...

Originally posted by Ofbac
    The simple fact is that EQ (and love it or hate it, it's the most popular game with the highest subscriber counts by far) showed definitivly that the majority of players do not want PVP.

EQ has what... 40ish servers. Of those you could count all of the PVP servers and racewar servers on one hand.

Simple fact: majority of users prefer no PVP.

Despite the vocality of the PVP crowd, they do not represent the majority.

There's no need to explain why most people would prefer no PVP because most people already understand.

I for one would love to see an AO server that has no PVP. Put it in place with the clear understanding that after 6 months, if subscriptions/attendance is low on that server that it will be converted back to standard.

Oh and please provide transfers to this server because if everyone starts out on new server together it will be massive crowding in non-mission hunting areas for under 50 for the first month.
    So basically, you want EQ Version 2.0 here. If you don't like PvP so badly, then why did you sign up for AO in the first place? The very premise of AO is the conflict between Omni vs. Clan.

I agree that it's not exactly implemented well, or even correctly for that matter, but the conflict is whole point of the game.

It may be broken, it may be aggravating, but it's part and parcel of the nature of AO. If you remove that, well, let's just have a Sci-Fi EQ then.
    Captain Sparkyd Kirk

Proud Unit Commander of Band of Brothers
    Über® Equipment - Courtesy of Auno.org

An agent with a GPH?? WTH, since when do you even cast nanos?? - Random tell

No longer playing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast