Thread: Fantasy VS Reality

Lightbulb Fantasy VS Reality

Here is an informational example for those of you that are having trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. There are two types of suggestion threads here, plausible, and implausable.

TYPE ONE: PLAUSIBLE
    Add a portable grid unit, maybe it's the next step up from a yalm, for 10million dollars you can get to the grid from anywhere!

this is a plausible suggestion because, the items necessary to implement it are allready in place in the engine and require minimal coding adjustments to get working.

TYPE TWO: IMPLAUSABLE (i'm not even sure if that's a word, but for the sake of argument, let's just state that IMPLAUSABLE is the opposite of plausible, okthankyou)

Make it so that you can wear a headset that attatches to your computer and when you talk into the headset people around you can hear what your saying! The louder that you talk into the headset the farther radius the sound is carried in the game! Then make it so that when the engine detects that you are talking into your headset the mouth on your character moves! and also make it so that you can change the sound of your voice to sound more like Darth Vader!

this is an implausable suggestion. Not because it is IMPOSSIBLE to do, it actually is quite possible. It's just never going to happen because FUNCOM would have to rewrite half the friggin code. Just because it's POSSIBLE does not make it PLAUSIBLE. It's actually POSSIBLE to go around the world and 3D scan the entire client base so that every character in the game bears a striking resemblance to the owner of that account, but it's not PLAUSIBLE.

Possible does not equal Plausible
    just keep repeating that till it sinks in.

-lano
    Taisha Lanowel Sedy
    Conquistador Coffe Inc
    The Leading Purveyor of Fine Coffees to Rubi-ka
    home to...
    The Rubi-Ka Boook of Haiku

Well, honestly- I hate to see people tell others that their suggestions are "too difficult to implement". These know-it-alls are not on FC's staff, and I'd be shocked to learn that any of them have ever worked in the game industry. I'd be surprised if they even worked in the mod community.

I majored in Graphic Design and Illustration in college, and there was always an unwritten rule:

When you're brainstorming, you do not dismiss ideas- ever.

Some things only sound stupid and impossible until you actually try them out. If you're the sort that shoots new ideas down immediately, you may satisfy your need to look smart for a minute (or to piss off someone you don't like), but you're setting the bar lower. Other, less restricted thinkers will always beat you.
    Last edited by Blue Cat; Oct 4th, 2002 at 16:07:10.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".