Thread: Start-up Quest Line

Start-up Quest Line

Rerolled a couple of new toons recently, and as is my habit, I do all the ICC Shuttleport, Start-Up quest chain, and Living Cyber Armor quests.

Many people complain that the AO start-up experience is difficult and confusing, but if one goes through the process of doing all these quests, you end up with at a level in your mid-teens, a set of armor that you can wear into your 30's, enough credits to actually buy a few nanos, and a fairly good understanding of the game.

I have a couple of suggestions for these quests:

Since you get a 2-slot belt from the ICC Shuttleport quests, I suggest that the start-up quest chain gives out the lowest QL 3-slot belt. Having the next belt on hand is a great cost savings. Through in another NCU chip too, and a new player is equipped until their 40's or 50's. (A bit unfortunate for Keepers and Shades, as the Jobe start-up quest does not give out a belt -- other professions can start on ICC Shuttleport and then go back and do Jobe start-up quests.)

Increase the low end stats of the Living Cyber Armor, so that at QL 16, the Living Cyber Armor is immediately a better replacement choice over the sided Newcomer's armor. It would be really nice if the stats of the QL 50 Living Cyber Armor was also pushed up a little, but that's probably asking for too much.

Have the start-up quest line give out a profession appropriate QL25-35 cookie-cutter weapon. New players have no idea what weapons are worthwhile, and what isn't. This reward doesn't have to be fancy or OP. Just something noticeably better than the start-up weapon (which many new players hold onto for far too long). For instance, A QL 25ish Electronicum for pistol professions, or a Gripo-Com AKR 1K20 for agents, etc... (I'm guessing a Sharpened Kinetic Axe is probably a little OP for advys) It would be nice if AO somehow could look at the requirements of your currently wielded weapon and give you something appropriate, but barring that, giving those professions that have multiple cookie-cutter options (like advy's) a choice between their two choices would be a simply fallback. MA's should get something but I'm not sure what. I don't think there are any low QL bracers that buff Martial Arts, or add Melee Damage.

TL;DR

Start-up quest chain should give out 3-slot belt instead of 2-slot
    Boost the low end of the Living Cyber Armor's stats
    Give out a cookie-cutter appropriate weapon to replace start-up weapon.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

let mob boss loot table have old school buff armor and items like it first did ^_= dillion armor..etc.

a implant clinic too , would be nice.
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"