Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 11th, 2009 - Video Q&A, Sceenies and Info-Nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    The problem with lowering SL XP, or bringing it closer to RK levels, is that beating a SL mob is so much harder than beating a similar level RK mob. That said, I do think they should increase the XP on RK mobs a bit, so that people are more willing to level on RK until they hit 200+.
    I wasn't thinking of lowering SL xp, I was thinking of raising RK xp, then raising it even more in some neglected areas. Then putting in an RK static designed from 100-150, since TL4 tends to be somewhat empty in the things to do besides grind out tokens department.

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    I did schole hecks while leveling Technogen, its really not that bad in a few spots, we were a team of 130-150s doing them solo which we couldn't do with ado hecks.

I'm still not seeing the reason why people have to rush to 220, making the exp more even would be the best thing for the population as new players don't rush to 220 get bored then quit. If there's more players working to level there will be more teams forming.

So how does letting players rush to 220 help anyone but vet players leveling an alt?
    If you think making the grind worse would improve the population then you've been playing AO so long that you've lost your sense of perspective. New players are getting bored and quitting long before 220.

question?!

ok, here is mine:

concerning ur fwm 10th of july, now theres 2 months of the said 3 months gone ... my feeling is that nothing happens in that direction :-(

when starting implement the chartransfer?

lots of ppl still waiting for that. they waiting for the deadline of the said three months, they wait for u, because u said, after the period u will discuss it again and perhaps do it.

let us join rk1/2!! again lots of ppl's cancelt... dnw is more empty than ever...

My experience is that new players are more likely to enjoy the game when they have a semi-experienced or better player around helping them out.

I don't mean just going around getting em stuff, though that is part of it.
    I mean actually spending time teamed with them socializing and the like.

Going into a place like Subway/ToTW/Foremans/IS and teaming the new players makes them more likely to stick around.
    As opposed to just running in with your twink, OD'ing them and meeping out.

A small amount of your time can go a long way.

When I first started I ran to the left, but I didn't notice cuz I rolled an MA xD
    Last edited by Esproc; Sep 13th, 2009 at 19:12:18. Reason: Anyone else get the feeling that there is a new meme in the making?
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

Here's a question for you Means:

What are the goals when designing new questlines? A lot of quests, in particular midlevel SL ones, require a lot higher level characters than what the rewards appear to be aimed at.

Scheol quests give nanos that can be used at late TL3 with some twinking, yet several parts of them (catacombs and firekeeper at least) are difficult even for a full TL4 team. Not to mention the insane amount of running from one scientist to another, most of the time without even having waypoints.

Adonis quests are even worse, the final reward can be used at level 132, but many mobs (ruins defenders, muddy dryad and tower keeper to mention a few) are just plain impossible unless you have TL7 support.

Pen quests are mostly okay, they're soloable by a TL5 and a team will plow through them with ease... Except for Alappaa, which again needs multiple TL7s to be completed. The rewards nanos can be easily used by a TL5 or TL4 depending on profession.

So, what exactly goes on in the designers' heads and meetings when making these quests? I'm sure others would like to hear about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
    I don't mean just going around getting em stuff, though that is part of it.
    I mean actually spending time teamed with them socializing and the like.

Going into a place like Subway/ToTW/Foremans/IS and teaming the new players makes them more likely to stick around.
    As opposed to just running in with your twink, OD'ing them and meeping out.
    Anarchy online is a very big place to travel around in. I have "guided" newcomers and not so newcomers around, interesting places, mobs and bits of the storyline. Most people really like it. I know I sound like my own dad, but everything is supposed to happen so quickly nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzelfamilie View Post
    question?!

ok, here is mine:

concerning ur fwm 10th of july, now theres 2 months of the said 3 months gone ... my feeling is that nothing happens in that direction :-(

when starting implement the chartransfer?

lots of ppl still waiting for that. they waiting for the deadline of the said three months, they wait for u, because u said, after the period u will discuss it again and perhaps do it.

let us join rk1/2!! again lots of ppl's cancelt... dnw is more empty than ever...

That is an important question. DNW is dying.... and the only way to have fun is to play on RK1 or RK2. That can´t be the great future of AO.

It would be better to make one big server for all players. I think it would be easier for you to concentrate on one big server.....

Chartransfer is the end of DNW and a reason for closing the server because most of the players would transfer to RK1 or RK2 I think.

The new engine is quite good but every day of waiting is one more day for players which are cancelling on DNW because DNW is empty .... dead... or whatever. That is the bad thing......

Wow, just wow.

I am not what you would call a serious forum troll, and its never been in me to really speak out on so many things, unless it has serious affectation on how myself or the bulk of my orgmates play.

That being said, after watching these installments I want to first thank Shadowgod for taping them. I got a much better (and positive) feeling about the direction of this game, even moreso than I did before. I'd also like to thank any and all people for participating in that, to the point where it honestly looks like people really are driving the game.

I wanna step back and bring up a certain something that was said and I quote, by Means himself: "We have over 300+ people coming to the game every day." I want to let people know this is in fact, quite true. In the past few months, my org has risen in size from 12 active players (about 100 alts++) and the new batch of recruits I feel quite positive about, and not to take them down a peg or brag about the number of new people in org, but most of them are very fresh and new to the game! They drown me in questions at times, and I am more than happy to help them out any way I can and still enjoy my own time. Players new and old are intermingling and I have never felt happier about things since Means and crew have started to really take the volume of bold steps to see this PASSION reach new heights. You guys are rockstars.

I realize that change takes time, even with a much larger staff, sometimes this cant always happen. Communication between team members can cause a rather proportionate amount of IRL lag, just as quickly as internet speed can become clogged up. So those of you who have had the patient and perseverance to understand wholly this perspective, be glad you have it. It helps more than you think.

For Kintaii. I am adding you to my heroes list. I am a long standing RPr' and I gotta say it takes a lot of mettle for an RPr like you or I to say "i wanna make PVP more exciting" I did get a nice chuckle out of that, because to most PVP'rs, you and I are the enemy. LOL With you at the reigns, I am really intrigued to see what sort of interesting ways youll make PVP for people like me.

I didn't see Nophex talk much, as most of the questions seem to be geared towards problems of the past and future, and not nearly about the engine that drives customer service. I was sort of interested in hearing something about it, but alas. I dont have much to add for that. More's the pity. I usually have had no much issues dealing with Customer Service, and all of my experiences in that range have yielded fruit within a few business days at most. So I guess, thank you for that.

I want to say, as I have said a few times before... the sort of player I am, everything that the game encompasses, I have been involved with. From walking into newbie island, to RP, to well run raids (and even a few crappy ones) to testing FFA, to PVP over the rainbow and back, the steps being taking affect players like me the most. I am not alone, and as you say the bulk of players in general dont post nearly as much as the serious forum trolls. So, it feels in some respect that you guys are representing my particular demographic. My status can be described overall as "Pleased, but eager". By saying that I am happy for the changes, and looking forward to more.

To address them in a general sense, id just like to say that biggest issue is that I seem to play toons that almost always have a hard time. I enjoy that at the same time, but none of them I can call particular uber. What pays off is the time in, for some people, perfecting their toons and their playstyles. Since I experiment with so much, including nanolines/perklines/etc etc.. I often find myself asking "so why CANT I be a melee energy enforcer?!" "Why cant I be a bow Advy or a bow agent, or a bow MA?!?" That leads me to alot of my choices in the game.

Whereas, the bulk of professions are becoming more and more streamlined in certain aspects. Remembering that its a player choice to be cookie cutter, I have to understand that cookie cutter is this way for a reason. Its in this that professional imbalancing really shows the most. I love having the freedom for options. More and more I have been seeing options arise, and for that I am glad I have had the patience to stick around through the dry spots. At the same time, its good to see the dry spots get further and further apart, on your hard work.

I dont generally post unless I feel it truly necessary, so I hope you guys can understand my particular point of view. I think the work that has been done is in our best interests, although many people would disagree or say outright that its just not fast enough. Well, people whom have been here for the past 5 years can tell you what the Dark Age of AO was like. Perspective. It helps. Good work, guys.

Oh and, IBT(TL;DR). Because I caretroll in your general direction.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Sep 14th, 2009 at 00:18:13.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Roommate: Hurry up and log in.

Me: Sec I'm on the forums.

Roommate: Hurry up.

Me: Sec!

Roommate: You take too long cuz you actually READ the TL;DR's!

Me: xD

I'd like to note that what little interaction I've had with customer service has been prompt and quite good.

Though I'm still always surprised to actually see Greeters and etc in game I am quite happy that it is happening much more often.
    Perhaps if the Arks made themselves a little more public such as answering questions on OOC or even just occasionally clicking a generic greeting macro
    Last edited by Esproc; Sep 13th, 2009 at 21:45:48.
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    If you think making the grind worse would improve the population then you've been playing AO so long that you've lost your sense of perspective. New players are getting bored and quitting long before 220.
    The population doesn't get bored from grinding exp, the population gets bored from grinding hecks.

Long ago the grind was much much worse, and guess what, long ago the population was much much more. So from that I'd say your collation of grind = less pop is wrong.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

The population doesn't get bored from grinding exp, the population gets bored from grinding hecks.

Long ago the grind was much much worse, and guess what, long ago the population was much much more. So from that I'd say your collation of grind = less pop is wrong.
    AO came out during a time when grind was the norm. The population dropped because Funcom failed to adapt, and people moved on to bigger and better things.

Oh, and the implication that people would suddenly enjoy grinding if it wasn't on hecklers is downright laughable.
    Last edited by drainbamage; Sep 13th, 2009 at 23:09:37.

Oh, and the implication that people would suddenly enjoy grinding if it wasn't on hecklers is downright laughable.
    The Monotony is what is boring, at least in my opinion, not the actual grind, the less monotonous the better, so if getting bored with the grind less means enjoying the grind more, then no, it's not really laughable.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

drainbamage: Why do you have to be 220/30/70? This is a serious question, if you look at my "How many 220s do you have, part 2." thread you'll notice that most of the people have low level chrs that they play a lot. So, why is it a grind since the only thing you grind is levels?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    The Monotony is what is boring, at least in my opinion, not the actual grind, the less monotonous the better, so if getting bored with the grind less means enjoying the grind more, then no, it's not really laughable.
    The grind is the monotony. Whether it's hecks or borgs or spirits or whatever. Same ****, different pile.
    drainbamage: Why do you have to be 220/30/70? This is a serious question, if you look at my "How many 220s do you have, part 2." thread you'll notice that most of the people have low level chrs that they play a lot. So, why is it a grind since the only thing you grind is levels?
    This attitude is a conceit of the veteran. If you're tired of the endgame and would rather throw creds at your twinks, that's your problem. I'd like to get there without dying of boredom in the process.

This attitude is a conceit of the veteran. If you're tired of the endgame and would rather throw creds at your twinks, that's your problem. I'd like to get there without dying of boredom in the process.
    Then let me tell you something as someone that's here, there's nothing there.

Up until LoX there was about 4 things to do; APF, Pande, City, and PvP. Now you have a few more things that are just part of the grind you were complaining about, they have nothing in them then loot at the end and XP.

<@Kintaii> L2P

The grind is the monotony. Whether it's hecks or borgs or spirits or whatever. Same ****, different pile.
    If you feel that way, why do you bother playing, why not find a game which lets you get max level with no effort whatsoever?
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Then let me tell you something as someone that's here, there's nothing there.

Up until LoX there was about 4 things to do; APF, Pande, City, and PvP. Now you have a few more things that are just part of the grind you were complaining about, they have nothing in them then loot at the end and XP.
    Again, the grumblings of a jaded veteran. Very easy for you to say there is nothing there after you've done it to death.
    If you feel that way, why do you bother playing, why not find a game which lets you get max level with no effort whatsoever?
    If the only thing you can equate with effort or challenge is mindlessly killing mobs for hours on end, then I have nothing to say to you.

If the only thing you can equate with effort or challenge is mindlessly killing mobs for hours on end, then I have nothing to say to you.
    That's pretty much what all RPG's are though, with various ways of disguising that fact, changing which mobs you bash being the most common one, the problem with Hecks, as I previously mentioned, is you bash them for sooooo long, that it get's monotonous, simply changing the scenery and mob type can go a long way to making things more interesting.

That's pretty much what all RPG's are though, with various ways of disguising that fact, changing which mobs you bash being the most common one, the problem with Hecks, as I previously mentioned, is you bash them for sooooo long, that it get's monotonous, simply changing the scenery and mob type can go a long way to making things more interesting.
    In all of the good RPGs I've played, combat was either interesting enough on it's own, or made up for by the story (or other elements).

Ok so, once again if players dont like AO's combat or XP system they wont stay, if those systems are changed the game's no longer AO so...

<@Kintaii> L2P

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast