Thread: Say hello to my little friend... (pulls out nerf stick)

Say hello to my little friend... (pulls out nerf stick)

Ah yes, winter is coming, and i feel people are still not quite into the nerfing spirit yet; sure, we've seen countless posts demanding nerfs of every aspect of this game... but you have to ask yourself, is this enough? should we stop at demands for nerfs on everything? surely there is SOMETHING else that can be nerfed... somewhere... somehow...

I have thought long and hard about this, and have come up with the following suggestions:

1: Nerf All chat abilities: Surely it's disconcerting how some people are able to coordinate attacks or sell things over trade channels better than others because their language skills are better than others. Therefore, in order to 'balance' the game, i suggest all chat functions should be removed from the game, or at least nerfed to the point where all chat is a random mix of letters and numbers, incomprehensable by all, after all, all the main talking goes on in the forums right?

2: Nerf All Human Mobs: Why is it Human mobs are so hard to kill? Surely if they had such vast power they could just march out of their little houses and take over the world.... Hence, it makes sense to make them as gimped as all the professions in AO claim to be.

Of course, the inclusion of an item or weapon players could use, actually called the "Nerf Stick", would make things very interesting indeed....... i suggest these things are looked over and considered carefully....
    more to follow, feel free to add to this list of NEEDED nerfs... and of course, don't take these points too seriously, they are only notes, hopefully the proper nerfs will be MUCH more severe.
    Last edited by Stoaty; Oct 2nd, 2002 at 03:59:33.

Talking Nerf the servers

Since different people have different connection speeds and different computer setups, something should be done to bring balance to PvP.

I'm running AO on a 1.64GHz, with 512 Ram a Ge-Force 4 and DSL connection. I have a huge advantage over my friend who is running it on a 400MHz 256 Ram Gee-Force2mx and dialup.
    So why not nerf the servers to even out these differences?

mmm, if you hadnt noticed, the servers are nerfed - Tir, BS, NL...
    no one is allowed a good connection.

then there is the memory leakage which keeps players with highend systems in the LD loop with all the less powerful systems out there. How much more balanced can things possibly be?

Continued:

3. Nerf Colours: As we all may know, but perhaps not think about to often, is the fact how important colours are in this game. It allows you to tell the difference between Nano and Med kits, whether a twink is wearing a Red, or Blue coat, and other such important factors. Now think to yourself, how would a person who is colourblind be able to properly play this game? Surely the fact that AO has any colour at all is MOCKING those poor individuals. Therefore i suggest that Funcom remove all colours from AO and keep things strictly black and white, afterall, it's the gameplay that matters right?

4. Nerf Nano Technicians: Now from what i've seen, the most down trodden profession out there is the Nano-Technician, and for all the cries for some love for this profession, i never saw anything done about it. Which made me think; what if this is the way Nano-Technicians were supposed to be? If these were the vermin of our fair Rubi-Ka. If this is the case, i think Funcom should nerf them, inthe sense that a nerf detracts from a professions ability to do what it was supposed to do; and if NT's were supposed to be crap, then a nerf on them would suggest a detraction of their ability to be crap, hence, making them a stronger profession, anyone see what i'm trying to say here?

5. Nerf Cloudeh: Plain and simple.

6. Nerf the word Nerf: Simply because i don't understand how someone suddenly came up with the idea to designate a word to the process of *chuckle* 'balancing' gameplay.

History of the word Nerf:

Player 1: "Damn this sucks, i got smacked, but i thought i was uber"
    PLayer 2: "Yeah, they should really nerf *insert profession/mob/nano/NPC here*"
    Player 1: "Nerf? Wow funky word, where did you come up with it?"
    Player 2: "I dunno, i went down to Funcom head office today and there were a bunch of kids standing outside chanting it"
    Player 1: "Cool, i want everything nerfed"
    Player 2: "Yeah, me too, maybe we should complain on the forums?"
    Player 1: "RIGHT ON! lets go!"

Re: Say hello to my little friend... (pulls out nerf stick)

Originally posted by Stoaty
    Ah yes, winter is coming, and i feel people are still not quite into the nerfing spirit yet; sure, we've seen countless posts demanding nerfs of every aspect of this game... but you have to ask yourself, is this enough? should we stop at demands for nerfs on everything? surely there is SOMETHING else that can be nerfed... somewhere... somehow...

I have thought long and hard about this, and have come up with the following suggestions:

1: Nerf All chat abilities: Surely it's disconcerting how some people are able to coordinate attacks or sell things over trade channels better than others because their language skills are better than others. Therefore, in order to 'balance' the game, i suggest all chat functions should be removed from the game, or at least nerfed to the point where all chat is a random mix of letters and numbers, incomprehensable by all, after all, all the main talking goes on in the forums right?

2: Nerf All Human Mobs: Why is it Human mobs are so hard to kill? Surely if they had such vast power they could just march out of their little houses and take over the world.... Hence, it makes sense to make them as gimped as all the professions in AO claim to be.

Of course, the inclusion of an item or weapon players could use, actually called the "Nerf Stick", would make things very interesting indeed....... i suggest these things are looked over and considered carefully....
    more to follow, feel free to add to this list of NEEDED nerfs... and of course, don't take these points too seriously, they are only notes, hopefully the proper nerfs will be MUCH more severe.
    LOL

uif 23 40--w=a';lksd9&(*-0

ack I've been nerfed
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Thumbs up

Since some professions still seem to be better at certain things,
    I suggest that we remove professions altogether from the game,
    and instead just have one profession,
    called borings,
    now there are no more balancing probs.

They should nerf everyone to look like the upsidedown pyramids in the grid. Also be sure to nerf every area including mission areas to 500% gas just to be sure noone can fight thus you achieve 110% balance in the game. Also nerf the pvp system so every soldier starts with a Grandmaster title that way they don't have to farm a title and cry for nerfs when another profession manages to kill them and lower their title.

Obviously, there's a simple solution. Just nerf damage.

If you do more to me than I do to you, I'm gonna die right? No fair!!

Have the attacker's damage effect both his target and him equally. That should pretty much blance out combat.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

7) Nerf doc heals.
    Both for pvp and pvm this would make players happy...
    If you give our heals a 15 second timer and a huge DoT... *ducks*

pvp: Clear and simple, players could easily defeat docs since we loose our big advantage,
    pvm: If you nerfed our heals players wouldnt look for a doc in the team, the teaming process would be much quicker and MA healing would be standard so nobody would really care after a time.

8) Nerf all professions except the MA and take them out of the game one patch later.
    Just excuse it with "Professions are now as intended" and "This was made due to balancing problems".

9) Make traders Divest/Plunder self only.
    Everybody would cancel their traders... Well like aaronb said it would maybe affect about 6 traders since not many more are left anyway. No trader nerf criers then...
    The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

a ql 1 nano that summons a nerf stick would kick butt.

it should be available to everyone but engies and NTs ( i'd include crats, but FC already forgot them ).

Nerf: tm a trademark name for a line of toy foam weapons.

Why do we use it?

Because we feel like we might as well be using a nerf weapon after they make the changes, because we've become as effective as those toys in combat.

Unless you're fighting aliens who are alergic to the Nerf foam......
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Nerfing galore

Terms that need to be nerfed:

Nerf: A soft football that I used to get hit in the head with because I couldn't catch it, but it didnt matter cause it was a nerf and it didn't hurt.

Farming: One of my most hated lingo. "I'm gonna go farm tokens" WTF? You Farm things like pigs, sheep, corn, tomatoes, and maybe a some hanibus if you're lucky, but you don't farm tokens; they dont take to the soil to well.

Camping: Camping usually involves pitching a tent, making a fire, roasting some hotdogs and marshmallows, maybe go fishing down by the bank. There is no camping in AO. Standing around waiting on some mob to spawn is not camping....which in turns brings me to my next hated 2 hated terms.

Mob: Yo, Lezzo, you knocked off that narc Pezzio yet? uhh...no boss, he slipped away into Olive Garden. bleep, bleep, Lezzo, I'm gonna bust ya azz, ya moron! The mob, thats the mob or something closely as sterotypical. And yes, I've played back to the MUD days, but mobs is still a dumb term. Commodore 64 and QuantumLink...what coulda been!

Spawn: Is "appear" a bad word? Is "show up" a bad 2 words? Or we such geeks that we have to use the word "spawn"? "that bad guy should re-appear more often because I'm tired of standing here". Good lord. Maybe it was just a bad comic book?

Which brings me to probably whats gonna happen to this post.

Flame: I guess the anaolgy is that you shoot a firey breath out of your mouth (or other orfice) that utterly turns me into a pile of ashes.....i.e. humilitates me to the point of, of, of, not being able to respond with my own firey breath..../me sighs. BTW, I hate using "/me" in posts since it doesnt really do anything, I also hate when people have to use BTW...just state your point first and you don't have to BTW.

Heh ya forgot about the NON word twink. Some retard had a typo of the word TWEAK one day and now other retards follow the path. Twink sounds utterly moronic. It's TWEAK not twink.

Nerf

Funcom needs to add a new suppression gas level, 65%, which allows Mobs to attack you while you cannot attack back. The message "take it easy" should be read upon attempt of attack. This modification is needed to prevent the massacre of countless mobs by uncaring and overpowerful PCs.

Re: Say hello to my little friend... (pulls out nerf stick)

Originally posted by Stoaty
    All chat abilities will be translated on a scale to come out as either; "LOL," "STFU N00B," "Ch3ck my ph@+ L007"

Conversation will now progress like this:
    Player A: "LOL"
    Translation: "Wanna Team?"
    Player B: "Ch3ck my ph@+ L007"
    Translation: "Sure, lets get a Healer first."
    Player A: "STFU N00B"
    Tranlastion: "Looking for a healer!"

The future is bright.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

bumpage.... why? because.... well, i gotta........ :P

Originally posted by Nyderach
    Nerf soccer.
    Are you mad? The refs do that as it is!
    Chaosengine : Still soldiering on..
    Equiptment Layout

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero...
    When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything right at all...

Our name is Legion for we are many..