Thread: [ALL] OTPC: Omni-Tek Research and Development report breakthroughs.

[ALL] OTPC: Omni-Tek Research and Development report breakthroughs.

OTPC: Omni-Tek Research and Development report breakthroughs.
    July 16, 29483 - [Global]

OTPC - Omni-Tek Research and Development report breakthroughs.

After a long period of silence the Omni-Tek R&D department have finally publicly released information on certain research.

While trying to get information on new technology after reports by directors our staff have been repeatedly turned down by the R&D department. However today we were contacted by them and informed that they have something much much more interesting to reveal.

Once our reporter arrived at the headquarters of R&D they where introduced to Professor Hadley head researcher in Project Rubi-Life. A rather scruffy Opifex in dire need of some fresh air, he seemed barely capable of containing his enthusiasm; as we moved to a private room to hear his report he kept bumping into furniture and walls and losing his place as he talked rapidly on how the latest breakthroughs from his department would change the universe of tomorrow.

Once he calmed down he began his report;

"As you know the people of Rubi-Ka are extremely lucky - With such an abundance of notum aiding technological advancement life has become rather easy, and indeed longer: Artificial body enhancements allow people to live longer and healthier, genetically-enhanced food delivers essential nutrients with low environmental impact, and of course the insurance system, ensuring a long, fruitful lifespan.

And indeed most of these advancements have been beneficial to the rest of the galaxy; Due to advancements in technology made on Rubi-Ka people across the universe are healthier, happier and over all better then ever.

There is, however, one advantage they do not have: The insurance system.

Though most still argue about the specific term, the existence of, for want of a better word, the "soul" was proven in the year 28906; Then, since the discovery of being able to transfer this life energy to cloned bodies in 28920, scientists have been trying to find a way to use this knowledge to stave off death, and indeed succeeded when the insurance system was perfected on Rubi-Ka in 29436. However, this system has the draw back of working exclusively on Rubi-Ka, where the key component for the transfer of a persons life force, notum, is widely abundant. All tests and experiments done off world have failed and drastically so, as an abundance of naturally-occurring notum is needed to insure transfer of a persons life force from their dying body to a new clone.

We here at Omni R&D tend to be tenacious, though, and even though we've been working quietly behind the scenes for some time we have never stopped searching for a solution. Our department, Project Rubi-Life, is one of these, however unlike the rest of the departments we have actually made some breakthroughs with the problems preventing insurance systems working off-planet.

There are numerous issues that need to be addressed for such systems to work:

(A) How much notum is needed to allow transference?
    (B) How does one keep the life force from dissipating while transferring to a new body?
    (C) What colour should we paint the clone pads?

We have tried to answer all of these, and we feel we may have done so perfectly!

The first issue was working out how much notum must be present to allow life energy to "travel" through the conduit: After experimentation our department can finally declare that it is, infact, very little. In fact just the waste notum produced by nanobot useage can be sufficient to allow a soul to pass through to a new host body; however, with such small amounts the force dissipates quite rapidly - Passing just a few micrometers takes an incredibly long time and the life force degenerates very rapidly. Due to not receiving the soul energy in time, the cloned body begins deteriorating and is quickly unsuitable for use as a host.

This is where the second question comes in: How do we speed this process up and keep the persons soul intact? After extensive research we have discovered that by utilizing a sequence of pattern reflectors inserted into recompiling units we could insure that we could essentially "trap" the life force in a recompilation loop within the augmented MoebiusScreens slowing down the dissipation once contained. This unfortunately does not completely solve the issue of life energy breakdown, nor does it remove the problems of ensuring that the energy reaches the host clone body in time.

What we really needed to solve was the speed of transference and ensuring energy containment during said transference, which is of course required to be done at a vast distance.

We found that certain frequencies projected at a dying individual would result in a cleaner transfer; certain frequencies contained in the ULF range of 300 Hz to 3 kHz appear to 'resonate' with the soul energy, enhancing the pattern strength. In our experiments we have attempted projecting a sympathetic ULF frequency across a wide area - Research indicates that this method does work in a limited fashion but still does not solve the issue of energy breakdown. In essence, it amounted to folding up a slice of leet pizza before attempting to eat it - The pizza's easier to hold and insert into your mouth, but it does nothing to aid with the speed of eating. Essentially, we were attempting to force an Atrox through a straw, and speed was our main stumbling block.

The solution came when one of the interns accidentally uploaded the sympathetic frequency program into the prototype containment system, creating an intense feedback loop which, after several thousands of generations itself created a strong sympathetic frequency within the chamber that could potentially span large distances. The origins of this method were a bit less than scientific, but after intense study from myself and fellow researchers we have been able to refine the process, discovering that not only does the intense sound wave aid in containing life force patterns but it also slightly excites notum particles containing said patterns. This results in an amplified returned wave emission, creating a constructive wave of energy that not only enhances the strength of the life force patterns but also allows the soul to travel at unexpected speeds through the notum channels. At the moment we believe this is caused by a wake-like occurrence when our specific frequency and wave strength is set up, connecting the notum to the centralized insurance system for near instantaneous transfer."

After all of this the professor seemed to be out of breath but I had to ask, what exactly does all this mean?

His response:

"What it means is that it may soon be possible for a person's soul to transfer to a new body in a low-notum environment, working on just trace amounts of notum refuse produced by the running of even the simplest nanoprogram - especially if they're one those flashy ones with all the lighting effects as part of them. Even a few pockets of notum dust in a planet's atmosphere could allow global insurance systems to be set up. And while this technology is really new, and extremely imperfect, it is getting better and better at detecting these very trace amounts of notum and setting up this connection.

Our main issue at the moment revolves around the frequency feedback loop - Containment of the soul energy is fairly difficult, and currently only occurs in highly-controlled environments. Without the recompilation of the MobeiusScreens the energy begins dissipating extremely rapidly, and we have yet to be able to recreate the feedback look wave needed for transfer within low-notum areas.

At the moment testing is limited to laboratory trials only, as there are still many, many issues needing to be ironed out before the technology is ready for public use. As it stands right now, general deployment for planets outside the Rubi-Ka solar system is still many - possibly hundreds - of years away. However, we are currently having great success in the laboratories with artificially saturating areas with trace notum, to see if performance can be increased without the need for the high-energy frequency feedback loop. Notions of carrying around a small block of notum to protect yourself from death are still rather far-fetched, mind you, and it will be quite some time before anything like that could actually work. But the research done so far gives us hope that some day, all planets could eventually benefit from the reclaim system."

Professor Hadley paused for a moment after this, a bit of a grin on his face as he continued.

"Oh and we still have to decide what colour to paint it. I personally voted for purple, but everyone has mostly just agreed to disagree with each other on this point."

The professor quickly excused himself after this, rushing from the room and down the corridors to where I can only assume the laboratory areas were located. This su****ion was reinforced by the sound of either a very loud bang or a very small explosion moments later.

Explosions and excitement aside, the Rubi-Life project shows great promise for the future, as Omni-R&D continues breaking new ground in scientific advancement. Though the wait has been long, if the joys of insurance technology can be spread to the corners of the galaxy then this reporter believes the wait has been well worth it.
    Last edited by Editor: OTPC; Jul 17th, 2009 at 16:21:42.

I hope I'm not the only who see's a terrifying and horrifc possibility for one of the findings here, if i understand correctly that is.

Apart from that it is impressive, to an extent...

I don't know if I foresee the same thing you do, but I can easily imagine the chosen few from Omni-Tek being granted insurance outside Rubi-Ka. Like, say, military? How convenient for OT to be able to raze down any trace of disagreement with minimal casualties on their side...

Well going by whats written in the history files, I very much doubt they'd be allowed to be the sole beneficers of this technology.

But then who knows, OT might have it working perfectly now and using it.

I lol'ed
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Holy Mother-Ka!

This means that us Nanomages may be able to leave the planet!?

- GorgeFodder
    GorgeFodder4 / Skeletawe
    Anti-Miner / Miner
    Omni-Mining / NLF Remnant?

This situation reminds me of an old Earth quotation I once heard....

"The only certain thing in life is Death and Taxes! And I hear that Omni-Tech is researching a fountain of youth!"
    Ben Franklin
    Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Corporal Officer, Omni-Pol Field Ops
    (Atlantean)

formerly
    T-Sgt1C, Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, Retired.

If I'm the Agent of Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?
    Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

They could very well already have it working...

after all the Unicorns discovered Shadowlands long before Jobe did, and they knew about the impending alien invasion also before first contact was even made.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletawe View Post
    Holy Mother-Ka!

This means that us Nanomages may be able to leave the planet!?
    Not without our support suits. Our problem offworld isn't lack of insurance, it's lack of available notum.

It doesn't matter if insurance works offworld when the environment will kill the clone anyhow.

While the long term possibilities of this research are quite far reaching, let's think about the short term applications. This might allow transfer of bodies not only on the surface itself, but maybe into the near RK orbit, where the influence and availability of ground-side notum is still strong enough.

The memories of my crashing arrival on RK coming from the space station are a strong reminder of how much this invention could make things easier.
    Aspirant of the Means Cult(tm)
    ---------------------------------------
    Bug Busters (Rk2)
    now Froob RK1

Quote Originally Posted by ninor View Post
    While the long term possibilities of this research are quite far reaching, let's think about the short term applications. This might allow transfer of bodies not only on the surface itself, but maybe into the near RK orbit, where the influence and availability of ground-side notum is still strong enough.

The memories of my crashing arrival on RK coming from the space station are a strong reminder of how much this invention could make things easier.
    The Insurance System already protects those in Orbit around Rubi-Ka. This is why when you die upon the Battle Stations, which are in Orbit, death is not permanent. The Problem with the 'crash landing' is that those who were never insured run a risk when they arrive on RK for the first time. However, once insured that risk is removed on or around the planet.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||