Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Completely unsupported AO-On-Linux howto

thanks to this howto I managed to log on servers all right, but it won't let me pass loading screen. I can hear sounds indicating me that I must be in-game, byt I'm not getting any images other than AO logo from loading screen. The only thing I can do is ctrl+Alt+F1 and kill process.

note: I had to start AO fullscreen in order to go that far.

any ideas ?

edit: I'm using Wine lastest version 1.1.29
    Last edited by Gonido; Sep 23rd, 2009 at 21:45:41.
    Gonido - 220 MP - RK2
    Neutral - President of Harmony

Former French Fansite Manager
    http://ao.mondespersistants.com

Set Wine to run applications in a pre-defined window then open the Launcher, set it to run full-screen and then login. At least that way you can also alt-tab to other applications, duel-log, chat etc.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Thanks for the advise :-)
    I seem to have a problem with my graphical driver, so I still can't play
    Any ideas on a good driver for ATI Radeon 3650 ?
    Gonido - 220 MP - RK2
    Neutral - President of Harmony

Former French Fansite Manager
    http://ao.mondespersistants.com

The open driver for ATI is currently of low standard, but then again so is the company made driver.
    Main reason I'm still running NVidia Gfx cards is purely because of Linux support.

You could try the community driver and see if that works, otherwise try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    if you're running a debian system, otherwise yum or pacman (dependant on system and repo's)
    Then go to Applications > System Tools > EnvyNG
    Choose to install the ATI driver and follow the steps. This should install the ATI driver.

Hopefully that helps.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgiver View Post
    Why don't you contact the guys over at Transgaming to make sure Anarchy Online is and will always be running on Linux with Cedega.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Note that this [linux how-to] guide is COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED, Funcom support staff will NOT help you with anything related to this guide, or any problems you might encounter with the install while playing using this setup.
    this is why.
    plus, cedega isn't free open source as linux applications are ment to be; instead, it's a blatent corprate rip-off of wine with some added features and tweaks to get certain games to run correctly/smoothly.

Cedega should only be used as a last-resort desparation alternitive to wine itself when wine won't work.

Tho I do have a "free" copy of Cedega, I never found a reason to use it ever.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

just an add-on the the guide;

if you find yourself lagging badly in AO under linux with wine, try the following shell script modification:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash 
    cd ~/.wine-ao/drive_c/Program \Files/Funcom/Anarchy\Online

# renice fix
    echo renice needs sudo access.
    sudo echo sudo unlocked
    # end renice fix

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-ao/ie6
    wine Client.exe &> /dev/null && sudo renice -10 $!
    what this does is, gains root access to change the priority class of the pid that was executed before renice (wine in this case)
    to execute more often while redirecting wine's debug output to /dev/null (using an absolute redirect, "&>")
    (a WORN device)
    Last edited by Xyphos; Sep 26th, 2009 at 22:19:28.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Humn so this is the "unfizicall" linux AO thread now ?

I might as well chip in then for better performance i sometimes run it in a new X, harder to alt-tab stuffz but helps when ya whant the smoothest ride possible (for me atleast) oh and yeah just pipe all the output to /dev/null for better performance to ...

something like this ...

#!/bin/bash
    cd /home/mans/Anarchy\ Online/
    X :2 -ac -terminate &
    sleep 2
    DISPLAY=:2 nice -20 env WINEPREFIX="/home/mans/.wine" wine "Anarchy.exe" >/dev/null 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

After lots of twinking i made AO run on a debian system using this one as a script for starting it

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export WINEPREFIX=/home/spypower/.wine-ao
    cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Anarchy\ Online
    wine Anarchy.exe
    But my FPS is very low. veeeeery very low
    I tried the 2nd screen but, it goes black n cant do anything on this one but to kill it.

I used this one for 2nd screen (AO is on /home/spypower/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Anarchy Online/ )

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export WINEPREFIX=/home/spypower/.wine-ao
    cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Anarchy\ Online
    X :2 -ac -terminate &
    sleep 2
    DISPLAY=:2 nice -20 env WINEPREFIX="/home/spypower/.wine-ao" wine "Anarchy.exe" >/dev/null 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
    Whatz the error here?

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    yeah, supporting this as well, even if i see dark cloads over there ..
    still no AoC Linux client, so why on AO ?

WTB open source, im sure, the com will rip a client faster then the engine is released ...

...erm.. eww... the e-word ... sry
    Gief source and I'll port it, under an NDA and whatever if need be.

Just used this howto for a fresh install.
    All working good but just a tip if you got trouble to install ie4linux use:
    Code:
    ./ies4linux --no-gui
    No longer use of the oldpatcher.exe ftw!

Winetricks IEs4Linux install and other goodies.
    Note: Sometimes it bugs out so you have to install this twice. For more info http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks. Enjoy it while it lasts I am sure the new engine is going to be a pita for us for awhile... AO is the only reason I keep a winbox still around when I can't patch.

1) Get Winetricks and install IE6
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    sh winetricks ie6
    2) I snagged Xyphos script and just used my old AO install I have had for ages now in my home folder. This is what I use.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash 
    cd ~/Anarchy\Online

# renice fix
    echo renice needs sudo access.
    sudo echo sudo unlocked
    # end renice fix

wine Client.exe &> /dev/null && sudo renice -10 $!
    3) Settings - Rendering Device
    If you are experiencing lower FPS try using DirectDraw HAL - Wine D3D7 HAL instead of DirectDraw HAL - Wine D3D7 T&L HAL. Also if you are forcing Antialiasing I have found turning that down gives great results.

4) Advanced speed using tmpfs. Also known as RamDisk. This will speed things up allot if you are getting datebase slowness. Please be careful doing this. More info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMPFS
    Code:
    cd ~/Anarchy\ Online/cd_image/data
    mv db db-backup
    mkdir db
    sudo mount -t tmpfs tmpfs ~/Anarchy\Online/cd_image/data/db
    cp db-backup/* db
    5) Gnome movement bug fix. Character has a hard time moving because your keyboard has Key Repeat set to on. Before you run the game type this in terminal:
    Code:
    gnome-keyboard-properties
    Turn off repeat keys. When done turn back on.

6) AODuplicator.exe issues. I wasn't able to get mine to copy correctly so I just ran over to my winbox and did it. These were the files that seemed to not copy over right. Just figured it may help posting them here.

Testserver/cd_image/data/patcher/AnarchyPatcher.url
    Code:
    http://dtestserver.anarchy-online.com/live-dimensions/patch/patch.html
    Testserver/cd_image/data/launcher/dimensions.txt
    Code:
    # This file holds all the timelines available at this time.

# All lines starting with # is ignored by parser...

#

STARTINFO

description     =       US Test Server

displayname     =       US Test Server

connect         =       cm.dt.funcom.com

ports           =       7509

url             =       http://dimensions-qwest.anarchy-online.com/live-dimensions/launcher/index.html

version         =       18.2.1.0

ENDINFO
    Testserver/cd_image/data/launcher/DimensionServer.url
    Code:
    # This file conatins a list of loginhandlers that

# the Anarchy.exe will try to connect to.

# Do not edit this file unless explicitly explained

# to you by support@funcom.com.

# This file is for the Anarchy Online test-server.

dtestserver.anarchy-online.com:80/new-dimensions/dimensions_v2.txt

dtestserver.anarchy-online.com:7500/new-dimensions/dimensions_v2.txt
    Last edited by Frostsongr; Oct 17th, 2009 at 10:50:28. Reason: More data added.

Frostsongr Frostsongr Frostsongr Frostsongr Frostsongr Frostsongr Frostsongr

I noticed there are no Maintainers or Super Maintainers currently for Anarchy Online at the WineHQ website if anyone was up to it you should apply to become one.

Be a maintainer of Anarchy Online Internet Play

Be a Super Maintainer for Anarchy Online

Im using Windows 7 RC atm, but it's tempting format the hard drive and install Ubuntu 9.04.

Is it worth trying to play AO in Ubuntu?
    I remember I made it sometime before, but the camera was screwed up, but this was an older version of Ubuntu and an old computer.

Specs on laptop:
    Intel T3200 2ghz (dual core)
    3gb ram
    ATI 3470 256mb.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Frostsongr View Post
    I noticed there are no Maintainers or Super Maintainers currently for Anarchy Online at the WineHQ website if anyone was up to it you should apply to become one.

Be a maintainer of Anarchy Online Internet Play

Be a Super Maintainer for Anarchy Online
    That all happened cause..
    1. the lack of the original maintainer to spend even one minute on fixing things..
    2. the WineHQ team lacks interest in having an up-to-date AppDB, and..
    3. the latest maintainer thought it would be wise to erase my entry even though it contained the most informative stuff of all.

Apparently, that last guy, who eventually became supermaintainer, left for one or another reason too.. and i bet it had to do with the WineHQ staff.

Way to go, there. Put it in places the sun never shines. I advise everyone to keep the test results, tips and tricks here on these very forums.

Anyway, to add some interesting stuff.. my latest tests showed problems with walking ingame, as if you were running against a wall. A simple jump fixed that, and the problem spanned 3 Wine versions, though i don't remember which ones, as i currently don't run the game on Linux anymore.
    Last edited by Nensta; Oct 10th, 2009 at 03:49:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaliao View Post
    Is it worth trying to play AO in Ubuntu?
    Can't hurt to give it another go. You may want to wait until 9.10 is released since it is right around the corner. Which was supposed to have more support for webcams etc.

"October 29th, 2009 - Final release of Ubuntu 9.10" - I will be testing and tweaking with 9.10 at the end of the month myself since this does seem to be the most common Distro these days. I will make a full report of how things went and what I did. I am assuming it won't be any different.

AO's current state under Linux is about as good as it gets under windows until the new engine comes out. New Engine is gonna be a whole new can of worms to be tackled over most likely. Apparently last I heard the new AO engine has a hard time getting past the launcher just like Age of Conan does currently.

Below is about as far as people have been able to get Age of Conan working. This may be of use later when the new AO Engine is out. This may be all we need to do to get the new engine working when the time comes since they are different games.
    Code:
    Wine version: wine-1.0-178-gfb14064
    Windows version: Windows 2008

I've added the missing 2 DirectX dll's from Vista64 lib
    Startet the Game with AgeofConan.exe
    pacher comes up and run ( still don't see a thing)
    guess were the start button is (got some massage that I still use
    servicepack 1)
    then the intro video starts (Yes it runs on my machine)
    loggin worked but didn't see the char's
    than it crashed afer trying to play my HoX ...
    may I forgot to use shader 2.0 or 2.x

I will try further steps now if somthing new comes up I will post it her

sorry for the Spelling and gramma but I have only a low expierience in writing
    english ... I'am nativ german ... so sorry
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    that's the start line "wine AgeOfConan.exe -novidio"
    but sill cant loggin my any buddy come further than me
    the end of my log file

fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff7dec707
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderTarget Trying to set render target 0 to NULL
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderTarget Trying to set render target 0 to NULL
    fixme:faultrep:ReportFault 0x33f134 0x0 stub
    fixme:dbghelp:dump_system_info fill in CPU vendorID and feature set
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    xinput1_3.dll version 9.18.944.0
    d3dx9_36.dll version 9.19.949.2111

From SysWOW64 Vista64

I've copyed them to ~/.wine/c_drive/windows/system32

After the patcher(still blank) finnished paching and checking aoc you have to
    finde the play button somwere in the middle ca 1.5 cm from the bottom.
    Maybe you will have to accept the licence the button ist at the bottom a bit
    left from the middle( may wait 10 to 20 sec before its loaded)

now you shoud become a massage that its recomended to update SP1

select No

A new blank window appears (if started windowed or a blank screen if not).
    Direkly left-clic it. Now the funcom bic video my start to play.

but don't forget to start as windows2008 and with the -novideo option

As the videos are over (played or skiped) You will see the login screen.
    The login works so far but it has very low performance.
    After that I can choose my Chars but can' see them.
    Rigth after I've pressed play the game crashed.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=12101

Dual booting can always work too and easy to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nensta View Post
    Way to go, there. Put it in places the sun never shines. I advise everyone to keep the test results, tips and tricks here on these very forums.
    I agree posting it here seems to be the best place to put these ideas.

Overall I can say from testing three different Linux Flavors so far is it seems to pretty much be the same performance given you tell Linux to give priority to the game. That running bug usually has to do with "Repeat Keys" being on. Not sure if it was the same for you but turning that off fixed mine.

tl;dr: AO is working in Linux just as well as it does in Windows if you give it a little love to set it up correctly. Cross your fingers that getting the new engine to work will just be a little work around the client to get in game.
    Last edited by Frostsongr; Oct 10th, 2009 at 05:06:53.

I got the patcher working after some testing and failing.. I failed to understand the guide 100%, so I was testing out different ways until I read the guide again and made it.

Patching atm, hope it works to get ingame as well.

Edit: Lagging badly and no of the scripts above works
    Last edited by Xaliao; Oct 10th, 2009 at 12:47:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Nensta View Post
    Anyway, to add some interesting stuff.. my latest tests showed problems with walking ingame, as if you were running against a wall. A simple jump fixed that, and the problem spanned 3 Wine versions, though i don't remember which ones, as i currently don't run the game on Linux anymore.
    AO has been having trouble with keyboard autorepeat under Linux for a while. So far I haven't bothered to really find out if it's Wine's or AO's problem, but as a workaround, run "xset r off" to turn autorepeat off. After you're done with playing, run "xset r on" to get it back.

Pressing space (or any other key, really) works because it interrupts the autorepeat of the held-down key. Also autorun is not affected by the problem.

Confirming that the latest patching worked flawlessly with no fuss for me.

Live 18.2.2_EP1
    Test 18.2.2.2_EP1

Confirming that Age of Conan does work in Wine now. Things are looking very positive for the new AO Engine to be working as well in Wine.

Someone tested this under OSX and was able to get it to work. I tested this in Ubuntu using the latest wine with the same results as well.

Wine 1.1.31

Screenshot: http://appdb.winehq.org/appimage.php?iId=26836

Source: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=12101

Quote Originally Posted by Frostsongr View Post
    Confirming that Age of Conan does work in Wine now. Things are looking very positive for the new AO Engine to be working as well in Wine.

Someone tested this under OSX and was able to get it to work. I tested this in Ubuntu using the latest wine with the same results as well.
    Oh great, even more opportunity to be unproductive.
    Good news about AoC
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast