Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Completely unsupported AO-On-Linux howto

Quote Originally Posted by Flipyap View Post
    Hmm. Tried this, and I manage to login. But when I've logged in, anarchy opens with a black screen, and crashes after a while. Any suggestions?

(It's installed on a netbook, and it's not that important for me to run it. Just testing it :P)
    It seems that the cheapy integrated graphics chips just don't cut it with linux. I have same problem with my laptop that uses intel's chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipyap View Post
    Hmm. Tried this, and I manage to login. But when I've logged in, anarchy opens with a black screen, and crashes after a while. Any suggestions?

(It's installed on a netbook, and it's not that important for me to run it. Just testing it :P)
    Aye I can confirm that, Intel GMA graphics drivers are pretty **** for Linux systems and AO will not work with them (whereas on Windows it will *barely* run AO with a very low FPS).
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Using the latest ATI drivers and many different versions of wine, the graphics are messed up. It draws the world and the characters great, but the interface is missing lots of stuff (no buttons until you mouse over them, compass looks weird)...

I'm about to go nuts.

Update: swapped to a nvidia card and it now runs smooth as silk.
    Last edited by jtmace; Oct 1st, 2010 at 22:07:22.

Mmh.. Am I the only one being unable to start the game with the 18.4 update ?

I get a crash after selecting the character (and before seeing the splash screen) with the following error:
    Exception code: 80000003 BREAKPOINT
    Fault address: 00F8AFF0 01:008A9FF0 C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\Awesomium.dll

(this file was updated with today's patch)

I've started a thread under the 18.4 Update Forum regarding this.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=583990

It seems the new in-game browser requires an external program Awesomium. From what I've googled, Awesomium doesn't run in linux (yet i hope).

Yup, same here. Seems all WINE/Crossover peeps have been locked out.

Oh, I am a Mac, btw ...
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

http://aodevs.com/index.php/topic,852.0.html

Posting here for those not watching the Linux-Awesomium thread.

Crosspost for getting AO 18.4.xx working in Wine: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...3&postcount=47
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Does this work for all Linux versions such as Ubuntu?

Manually building Wine *should* work for any flavor of Linux (there are of course many other issues like making sure you have all the dependencies, a graphics card that can support OpenGL, etc...), but Ubuntu is one of the major distributions, and is already known to work.

I tried Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10, several wine versions (1.3.8, 1.3.18 because it used to work till last patch, 1.3.25 and 1.3.30) and crossover games in a trial version. AO currently not working on any of them for me.

AO will not work in Crossover, as they're back around version Wine 1.3.9.

AO will not work in Wine before about Wine 1.3.13 when the fix for Awesomium made it into the build. AO will not work in Wine 1.3.27 due to a broken manifest that will cause wine to crash when the native MS Visual Studio runtime is installed.

For all other versions of Wine (1.2.3 and 1.3.13-1.3.26, 1.3.28-1.3.31) you still need to install a patch to get the mouse to work, which means manually compiling wine rather than just using a package manager to install Wine for you.

Finally, providing more details on what you mean by, "AO currently not working" will help alot. Does it crash on startup or do you end up with a black screen/window? Did you try to delete your WINEPREFIX and start with a clean one? (You can preserve your AO install directory by moving it out before deleting your WINEPREFIX and put it back after you create a fresh one.)

I am very new to linux. In Crossover i made it trough the launcher but ao crashed at the loading screen (i guess thats the problem with awesomnium, i had the same issue on a previous setup where i got it working). with the wine versions i tried i did not get any usable data back except the notice that ao had crashed even before displaying the eula.
    i heard of that mousefix but for now i just want to get it "working" and my linux knowledge is not good enough to compile my own versions (i still don't have a clue where to see what dependencies it has and where to get them).

When running Wine, you might consider turning on all debug. In the console window you'd run wine sorta like this:

WINEDEBUG=-all wine /path/to/Anarchy.exe

If you've been using a WINEPREFIX (/your/home/directory/.wine) from previous versions of wine, the first thing I'd recommend is deleting it (making sure to move your AO directory out of there if that's where your AO directory lives) and creating a fresh WINEPREFIX for the version of Wine you are testing.

Then make sure you've installed some necessary native packages. For me I always install: IE6 and MS Visual Studio runtime 2005. You can do that by downloading winetricks (http://winetricks.org/winetricks) and using the following command:

winetricks corefonts fontfix ie6 vcrun2005

(I always throw in corefonts and fontfix -- I forget what they fix)

Garremp, AO will work in Wine under Ubuntu - I'm playing and I'm using Ubuntu 11.10.
    Just follow this guide: http://insomnia-gravis.org/forum/vie...hp?f=10&t=1431

Thanks for all that tips and that guide, got it working. 1.3.30+ seems to fubar things again since mouselook patch seems not to be usable and ao is mirrored upside down.

Strange. I've updated recently to 1.3.33 and the mouse patch works for me. The vertical flip thing might be fixable. You might try downloading winetricks and see if:

Code:
    winetricks orm=backbuffer
    or

Code:
    winetricks orm=fbo
    makes any difference on the vertical flip. The latter is the current default setting, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere once that some other game was flipped vertically when the Off-Scree Rendering mode was changed.

For all those that update to the latest version of wine each time the dev team puts out a new release: I recommend staying with 1.3.33 and not updating to 1.3.34. There was a commit between 1.3.33 and 1.3.34 that causes AO to crash every or every other time I zone.

Applied mousefix patch to 1.3.35 and it is a good build. no crash while zoning, no upside down and pretty good fps on my machine.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast