Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please implement more 'classic visual style' AO content- grittier and darker content

Please implement more 'classic visual style' AO content- grittier and darker content

I would really like to see an expansion or set of booster content , whatever, that is more of the 'classic style' of AO's look and feel

In my mind I see AO with two sort of content branches

Classic AO style ,
    foremans (biomare) dungeon ,
    the subway,
    smugglers den,
    Tarasque + camelot
    Otacutes (mercs) and the other EFP raids (fiery soldier / obediency enforcer/ notum soldier / diamondine soldier) ,
    The one,
    the pest,
    the trash king,
    Supply master Eel and Fredrickson,
    the dust brigade (nitrox/kronillis /vivyan) also Inside the machine and the dust brigade in the mantis hive in perpetual wastelands, even the LOX dust brigade feels like classic AO
    I think the unicorn guards and the Alien playfields of sector13/28/35 still have a pretty classic AO feel
    Notum wars and the towers

I think that the dreadloch bosses (clan/omni camps) , the mechs and lost eden were a logical step in the classic AO world as well

I also feel like pandemonium feels like the classic AO art direction, a very extreme version but it still feels like the same universe to me

weird style / new universe
    most of shadowlands
    the "xan " race in LOX
    temple of the three winds and the inner sanctum, maybe its all the implied magic? they just dont seem like they belong
    phazefront vehicles
    the alien invasion player cities
    alien invasion in general, the aliens are so shiny and kind of retro ,

some images might help

old style ao?
    http://www.gameguru.in/images/anarchy-online-1.jpg
    http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen002.jpg
    http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...0screen057.jpg

Alien invasion style
    http://www.gameogre.com/reviewdirect...y%20Online.jpg
    this is a rendering, the lights in the city look better in this than they do in game i think, maybe that will change when the new graphics engine is out

personally I think it would be great if it turned out more like this, and not any specifics, but the overall darker, grittier scifi rather than the sort of polished over 'retro scifi' look that alien invasion feels like to me.

http://editionsballard.files.wordpre...les-752153.jpg
    http://www.toyarchive.com/Aliens/Mov...dCloseUp1a.jpg

I guess in summary I want to see AO get a some content that looks and feels a little darker and grittier. Thats one of the reasons why I like AO, its not a soft edged like world of warcraft /everquest / toontown style

go go grittier content!

/supported
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

/baconed

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

bump.

Would also like to see old GUI back. Never known it as I joined a bit after SL launch, but I liked it alot from what I saw. Or at least, let us choose standard from the several "FC GUIs".

But this is just a bit off-topic.

Bump for OP.
    220 opi RK1 keeper § 220 opi RK1 Doc § 220 opi RK2 Fixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    We usually call it WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerolll View Post
    Well...when a momma envy and a daddy envy love each other very much...well...ask your parents.

thanks gais

I would also like to mention: Shadowlands blew my hat off when it was first introduced, like Wow with a capitol W.

I appreciate all of the new content very much. I just miss the old art direction and somewhat darker feel to the old world

More Sentinels ! More OTAF ! More Dust Brigade !

Thanks !

Bump. I drive the brown 'hammerhead' phasefront because it fits with the desert theme.

The AI citys are ugly as sin, and they make me feel like i'm playing Second Life

I wish they would move all cities to the instanced PF and remove the ones on RK completly. I dont need to feel like I am next to Las Vegas every time I turn about.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

bump x 5000

and, I'd be down for seeing another froob dungeon for levels 80-130. or one for 140-180 type level ranges.

With gritty content. Biomare/smugglers/old DB ftw.

Less monsters, more human(esque) enemies. More evidence of subterfuge/"anarchy"/treachery for the Omni-tech Corporation/ notum mining/

How about an underground notum running ring, run by some war harden neutrals? (Thinking like mad max or something...) Could introduce some decent mid game content for neutrals (specifically) in the TL4-6 range, usuable by all though... like a neutral neck item option?

or how about some oddball buffing/skill type items that froobs can use. And some decent options for mid game melee fighters to rival perenium line.

er, offtopic. Bump for OP!!!
    Last edited by noobastank; Jun 9th, 2009 at 23:54:00.

Bump,

Also dont forget the cyborgs, they used to be seen as a threat almost, now well they just get in the way.
    Agreed Ai cities are like las vagas everywhere! :/
    I would love more from the Dusties, borgs, sentinels,OT, etc etc thats the side of the game i enjoy most.

Rubi Ka rocks,
    Shadowlands? "Where's my noble steed, im off to slay some dragons!"

bump

was never big on sl, it should have been done like silent hill instead.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

let RK be RKish, and leave SL as it is. It's probably best level design i've ever seen in mmorpg..

Btw, guess OP have never read dialogs in quests and storyline, huh?
    :: Izolenta :: Kynopoc :: Dreamech :: Dreamchaser :: Batmobile ::

President of Molotoff Cocktail

Playing since 2002/06/26

bump for mas cyberpunk...

Bump!

(I like that blade runner like image, it would be a great path for AO..... or its successor)

bump. More Blade Runner-esque would be cool.
    Fishpaste - 220 Fixer (RK2)

bump for more ao-like and for a middle dungeon

i ant more cyborgs btw they should be dangerous for human, more than the leets they are now
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

Quote Originally Posted by Izolenta View Post
    let RK be RKish, and leave SL as it is. It's probably best level design i've ever seen in mmorpg..

Btw, guess OP have never read dialogs in quests and storyline, huh?
    I've read them, but reading how everything is connected, and visually feeling it is very different to me

its about art direction and visual style, not about theme of the content

I think its great aliens invaded RK, shadowlands is a cool idea

I just don't really feel they are visually connected

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    I wish they would move all cities to the instanced PF and remove the ones on RK completly. I dont need to feel like I am next to Las Vegas every time I turn about.
    This.

Remove all the cities and make them instanced. Those who paid billions for your "real" city, you get a free instanced city, an extra leet pet, and the good feeling of knowing that you have done your part in removing creds from the over-inflated economy. Also, if you are Atrox, you get a special edition pair of speedos.

As for the instance cities not having shops, it's about damn time the future caught up with the past. We need a Centralized Shopping Database ( a.k.a. auction house ) with automatic delivery of bought items.

An org bank, for items/armor that gets shared with org members.

And a shared bank for toons on same account.

*The last two suggestions ( org bank, shared bank ) are not related to the topic at hand, but are damn good ones so I'm stating 'em.*
    Last edited by Supwitjooman; Jun 12th, 2009 at 02:08:01.

bump for grittier darker ao
    FEAR ME I AM COMING FOR YOU
    - the anal avenger catcrab
    "i am pregnant with catcrab's babies"
    "catcrab has destroyed me. mentally, physically, spiritually. i don't want to live anymore."
    Means: catcrab is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    This.

Remove all the cities and make them instanced. Those who paid billions for your "real" city, you get a free instanced city, an extra leet pet, and the good feeling of knowing that you have done your part in removing creds from the over-inflated economy. Also, if you are Atrox, you get a special edition pair of speedos.

As for the instance cities not having shops, it's about damn time the future caught up with the past. We need a Centralized Shopping Database ( a.k.a. auction house ) with automatic delivery of bought items.

An org bank, for items/armor that gets shared with org members.

And a shared bank for toons on same account.

*The last two suggestions ( org bank, shared bank ) are not related to the topic at hand, but are damn good ones so I'm stating 'em.*
    You forget real cities gives shops to sell stuff, and I don't recall Means saying instanced cities giving buffs either, nor them having org contracts.

So, your suggestion is just a big nerf to those who got cities (well, only matters for orgs, not farmers).
    220 opi RK1 keeper § 220 opi RK1 Doc § 220 opi RK2 Fixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    We usually call it WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerolll View Post
    Well...when a momma envy and a daddy envy love each other very much...well...ask your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeventura View Post
    You forget real cities gives shops to sell stuff, and I don't recall Means saying instanced cities giving buffs either, nor them having org contracts.

So, your suggestion is just a big nerf to those who got cities (well, only matters for orgs, not farmers).
    Follow along closely now: Centralized Shopping Database, a.k.a. auction house, = SHOPS without having to run to to the far corners of the map. Why should only those with a city have shops, anyway? Most of the crap in the shops nowadays are overpriced leftover crap from people who no longer even play. And in case you haven't noticed the MAJORITY of the people left in this game don't even have AI, if they're even paying at all.

And why wouldn't instanced houses provide buffs? There's no dependence on being non-instanced to get contracts and/or buffs. And as far as what Means said, the only thing he mentioned the instanced cities NOT having were the shops, which need to be replaced with a real system anyway, as I already described.
    And what's special about the real" cities anyway? You don't like cities being removed because of buffs and contracts ( which the instanced ones will likely have )? fine.

Replace the cities with a single tower made only for buffs/contracts.

The buildings are useless. They serve no purpose other than to creat unnecessary lag and to sit empty in the middle of nowhere.
    Last edited by Siahanor; Jun 12th, 2009 at 08:35:28.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast