Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Bring back looting in pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Matammyr View Post
    Are people seriously suggesting there is going to be a guy in conceal waiting days, weeks, months, maybe even years in one remote spot on RK in the hopes someone in his pvp range will just stroll on by so he can kill him?
    That depends. Do you figure people are going to stay out of cities that long?

Why go to the prey when the prey comes to you. Someone with their unsaved loot will have to enter a city eventually to save, ganker can hide right there and get them.

@ thread supporters:

Restrict it to areans or make it optional (check box "you can be looted in PvP if you check this" in the f10 menu) or don't implement it at all. If you want to play to loot phats off a player then do so. If I don't want to it is not your place to force me.

Why don't I go and suggest the removal of dying in PvP. It would all just be like /duel except no PvP score. Would you like that? You wouldn't? Tough, I want it to happen because I want a specific play style and your dislike for that play style is no reason not to accommodate me. No work around or alternate method to achieve what I want is acceptable I must have what I asked for.

Sound about right?

That's exactly what this thread is asking for. The (re)introduction of a mechanic that will force people to either deal with rules they don't want to or quit a portion of the game all together. The same way me wanting to remove death in PvP would force you to deal with new rules (no dying in PvP) or quit PvPing. Do you think that's a reasonable thing to request of people?

If so, you may want to grab a dictionary and look up the word "arrogant".
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

I could be wrong about this, but is there any approach to any major city that is a pvp zone? Further still, is there any approach to a major city with an oft-traveled bottleneck to even allow such traffic?

Have you been in the wilderness of RK lately? You can't possibly warp the reality of the situation, or the language you choose to describe it, into "being forced" to pvp anymore than you are "being forced" to watch a band you don't like if you are standing in an empty venue a week after the concert is over.

I could be wrong about this, but is there any approach to any major city that is a pvp zone? Further still, is there any approach to a major city with an oft-traveled bottleneck to even allow such traffic?
    So does this mean I can get support for removing all death from PvP?
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

So long as I can still loot their "corpse", I don't really care if that person has to be in rezz for five minutes or not.

to everyone whining about me trying to get "free phatz" you are crazy.

this system was in place for 3 or 4 years, the best thing I ever looted was a VTE, even in 2003-2004 they were basically trash loot

How about this instead :

a "wager window" you could open in a duel situation

this would allow each player to place an item inside the window, they duel would not start until both players pressed "agree" and agreed upon the items being of equal value or equally acceptable as a duel wager. Whoever won the duel would get to keep both items , so you get your item back, plus their wager.
    In that scenario, nobody is a 'victim' , there's no 'ganking' or 'phatz' being 'stolen'

would that be so bad?

and let me repeat myself again,

Quote Originally Posted by ninj00
    I really don't want this to be implemented because I expect to be looting this huge pile of hard to obtain items, the average loot you would get in most cases IF ANY were some bullets or a medical kit. I just want there to be a sense of risk, excitement, I posted beneath that its like playing poker with your grandma. I would rather wager even $0.25 cents per poker chip, than peanuts. When there's nothing to gain and nothing to loose, the risk is gone, the thrill just isn't there....
    Last edited by Ninj00; Nov 15th, 2009 at 20:47:06.

I'm getting the very real impression that no one other than myself is reading your posts.

I think most people skim over some of it and react angrily before actually considering the suggestions, yeah

there's been what, 8-10 pages of that so far?

I would really like to see something added to "****e up pvp" again, a wager, something to lose

I was a big fan of the looting system of old, but there are better alternatives that protect the unwilling and still add an element of risk that is missing from pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Ninj00 View Post
    to everyone whining about me trying to get "free phatz" you are crazy.

this system was in place for 3 or 4 years, the best thing I ever looted was a VTE, even in 2003-2004 they were basically trash loot
    I'm sure there was a lot of things in place 3 or 4 years ago that were removed. Is that merit enough to return them?

If you want an element of risk to PvP then you can easily generate one for yourself. That you don't know and want Funcom to force it on you and everyone else sounds more like some other goal in mind. As I said you could easily just delete/trade an item to the guy who killed you if you want looting in PvP. Sure it takes a bit more effort but look: you got risk in PvP that you can enjoy.

But that isn't good enough for you. You want to not only have risk but ruin other peoples enjoyment of the game at the same time by forcing them to play by your desired rules. As I said, you should grab a dictionary and look up the word "arrogant".

If you want to do it by wagers (a new suggestion, just to be sure to people who may try to act as if it's from the original post) then so be it so long as you can both accept blank wager windows if both should choose to do so. That kind of suggestion I can support because it gives people the option to PvP for fun or for gain and doesn't force either situation on anyone.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    But that isn't good enough for you. You want to not only have risk but ruin other peoples enjoyment of the game at the same time by forcing them to play by your desired rules. As I said, you should grab a dictionary and look up the word "arrogant".
    actually , if you had read my 2nd or 3rd reply in this thread six months ago in our original debate, I thought I made it really clear:

I'm not interested in forcing anyone to participate in anything they don't want to

I think there should be a system in place, that you can opt into, that would create some sense of loss in pvp. However that mechanism works, it should be there.

I think its very reasonable to not want to lose anything to pvp, also reasonable to not want to pvp at all. That's fine.

But for anyone interested, there should be a 'harder' pvp system you can opt into.

If you want to do it by wagers (a new suggestion, just to be sure to people who may try to act as if it's from the original post) then so be it so long as you can both accept blank wager windows if both should choose to do so. That kind of suggestion I can support because it gives people the option to PvP for fun or for gain and doesn't force either situation on anyone.
    Yeah pvping should be for fun, but also "for keeps" if you want it to.

Thats why so many people miss the old pvp titles, sure people farmed them and they didn't really mean anything. But to die and lose something made pvp exciting, even if it was just a stupid title.

its like playing poker with your grandma. I would rather wager even $0.25 cents per poker chip, than nothing. When there's nothing to gain and nothing to loose, the game is less exciting because you have nothing invested in it.

If you're entire point is that you are "forced" into this, you really need to take a good look at that band/venue analogy I gave.

Remember, there is a completely improbable chain of events that have to occur where you'd actually lose items (other than consumables) anyway. It's not like you have to leave all your valuables in your bank just in case someone kills you and LOOTS YOU DEAD!

its like playing poker with your grandma. I would rather wager even $0.25 cents per poker chip, than nothing. When there's nothing to gain and nothing to loose, the game is less exciting because you have nothing invested in it.
    That is opinion. I myself have great fun playing something like poker for absolutely nothing manly because I'm playing it to pass time, spend time with friends/family, have fun, talk/joke, etc.

Not everything in life needs a price tag stapled to it to make it worth doing.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

If you're entire point is that you are "forced" into this, you really need to take a good look at that band/venue analogy I gave.

Remember, there is a completely improbable chain of events that have to occur where you'd actually lose items (other than consumables) anyway. It's not like you have to leave all your valuables in your bank just in case someone kills you and LOOTS YOU DEAD!
    like I said before, this would have to be an opt-in system of some kind,

Even if it were improbable it would cause problems, and after several years of that system they removed it sadly , but never really fixed it. There should have been an "opt-out" feature rather than removing the feature all together. And that is the real issue.

That is opinion. I myself have great fun playing something like poker for absolutely nothing manly because I'm playing it to pass time, spend time with friends/family, have fun, talk/joke, etc.

Not everything in life needs a price tag stapled to it to make it worth doing.
    That is also an opinion. Not everything needs it, but I'd like to have the choice to risk something, if you don't want to that's peachy.

Nothing I'm suggesting is putting you at risk. Please contribute to suggestions or stop trying to argue with me.

While I would have been in support of the proposed "wager" system, it'll never happen. Simply because it would be construed as ingame gambling and would get AO locked out of many countries/states.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    While I would have been in support of the proposed "wager" system, it'll never happen. Simply because it would be construed as ingame gambling and would get AO locked out of many countries/states.
    Skill games are allowed.
    Only wagers on lotteries / random things are illegal.
    further more it is only lotteries of legal tender that is the issue.
    Meaning: you can gamble with fake money, that can not be exchanged to real currency.
    Like the credits and items in Anarchy Online.
    and on top of that, I would call PVP a skill based game, not a lottery.

so no, you can not use that argument Phixalicious

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    Skill games are allowed.
    Only wagers on lotteries / random things are illegal.
    further more it is only lotteries of legal tender that is the issue.
    Meaning: you can gamble with fake money, that can not be exchanged to real currency.
    Like the credits and items in Anarchy Online.
    and on top of that, I would call PVP a skill based game, not a lottery.

so no, you can not use that argument Phixalicious

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    If this is true and it can be done legally, then as I said I have no problem with it at all.

Nothing I'm suggesting is putting you at risk.
    What you were suggesting had nothing to do with optional originally. So yes, you were putting me "at risk" (by forcing me to either quit PvP or play by your rules).

I have no issue supporting something like a wager/op-in system but that was not the original point of this thread.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

....but that was not the original point of this thread.
    these are all replies I made on the first page of this thread six months ago..... you just want to be argumentative and reactionary.

yeah even those (joker) glyphs were sweet,
    more stuff like that would be just as good as my original suggestion

hows that mr "i dont wana loose my phats" would that be ok?
    I'd love to hear any more suggestions as to how we can bring that element of loss back, it has nothing to with gaining something in my opinion, or Epenis as someone said.

Its about an element of risk that adds ****e and flavor to an otherwise bland sandwich.
    actually I'm just going to close this thread and open another one because people cant seem to read past the title of the thread

Closed by request
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789