Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 8th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Katrae View Post
    Power Overwhelming would love to help you, just give us a shout
    Boo don't sign us up when my accounts are frozen

Lol. Do you need an active account to play on test?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    /facepalm

See? That one is coming in handy already.

Part of the hazard of being in game design is you tend to use the "standard" words (rather than the right ones) for in-game concepts. Class and Guild are pretty standard in the industry now and have been for a long long time. If I speak with other designers and use "org" and "profession" they generally have no idea what I am talking about.

That being said you are absolutely right. Shamefull. I'll try not to let it happen again.

ps. Nobody was going to notice...I was going to totally get away with that one...but NOOO you had to go and spoil it. Thus:

Dirty Underpants of Bungerman

Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

I love the little opportunities to be creative that come along on a daily basis.
    haha this is glorious! Thanks for the utter annihilation. Oh, and pleeeeease put those in game, they have got to be there, even if merely social, I will rock them with pride. Just make it Dirty Underpants of Imoonderman (since my forum name is not the same) and I'll be famou...err infamous! Paying RL credits, pst.

If I were to be any kind of serious at all, I would say, your goal should be to make the industry standard conform to AO's ways, not the other way around! Oh and thanks for the new siggy.
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Boo don't sign us up when my accounts are frozen

Lol. Do you need an active account to play on test?
    you're just the org forum troll... back under the bridge with you!! back!!!!
    Calida Solitus Pistol Adventurer - 220/30/70 RK2 - General & Recruitment Director of -= Power Overwhelming =-
    Means: The leets do my secret evil bidding. Sort of the Oompa-Loompas of Anarchy Online.
    Means: Oh come on...that felt "phoned in". Was that written by some guy in India you pay to troll for you?
    Means: The US office assures me that this person will be beaten soundly, denied rations, and not let of their cage for exercise period this week....and worst of all will be forced to continue working for us for the forseeable future.
    Venachar: Where's the 'Close Thread' button......Wait. There it is.
    Mostadio: Noobs should wander through a forest in the dark going "WTF dood I cannot see! amg I hear rollerrat runz!!"
    Kintaii: A pirate walks into a bar. There's a wheel attached to his crotch. yadda yadda arrr its drivin' me nuts yarr yarr

i wanna know if they're ever gonna fix the land control areas in SL.
    Nanomage Meta-Physicist : Squad Commander [Famous Last Words] [RK2]
    Interested in applying? [Click Here]

Quote Originally Posted by windcaster View Post
    i wanna know if they're ever gonna fix the land control areas in SL.
    If I recall right, there was a problem with land control inside the Shadowlands that created a serious coding problem, and the devs decided to scratch that feature before the expansion was launched.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrae View Post
    you're just the org forum troll... back under the bridge with you!! back!!!!
    /me pouts. It's dirty under there...

I think Means could come up with an evil way to use leets (if needed) to get SL tower fields to work
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

I still have, in storage the first hard drive I ever owned. Though to be fair it was my mothers, as I was just six years old. It still has an old side scrolling plane game on it. Sopwith as I recall its name being.

2 Megabytes. As the guy at Tandy promised us, we never did fill it. It was simply too enormous.

Edit: Already transfered a whole bunch of toons over on several accounts to be as helpful as possible. Hopefully something will be announced, so we can get a serious group on testlive.

Also, I have a question. Your post is in a mix of tense. Is the C-tree drama start-to-finish in the last seven days, and now AO is currently working with a panic free future, or is there still work to be done, but the solution is clear?
    Last edited by egadsrk2; May 9th, 2009 at 07:53:17.

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    I still have, in storage the first hard drive I ever owned. Though to be fair it was my mothers, as I was just six years old. It still has an old side scrolling plane game on it. Sopwith as I recall its name being.
    Ah sopwith, I used to play that too! Play it again, here.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thumbs up Ty Means

I want to say thanks to Means and the team for what effort they have put into all of these patches and at last, finally, unravelling many of the code based problems/issues and also including ideas from third parties and the player base.

For me, a player since 2002 I have witnessed a lot of the nonsense and corporate speak that detracts from game play and hampers development it has been a pleasure to see such openness and passion for the game. AO is unique in many ways, definitely greater than the sum of its parts; it’s the passion, the player relationships’ and the depth of the game. Nowadays persistent worlds have no back story, no options and nothing to engage other than to level. I am not surprised that the DB rip is close to 2Gb limit,. I am surprised it didn’t reach it sooner. I only hope that the issues with the earlier C-Tree doesn’t resurface, much as though I would like complete VT eggs dropping off mobs

I also want to say, from the heart, bangs chest with fist – damn Gumboils – removes armour and gets hose out . Keep up the good work making us aware of both the good and bad which goes with the running of a customer facing business and fighting for better servers, better communication and more resources. Btw I wonder if the “raid” on the former employee’s home office uncovered anything else – like what s in the chests in CoH – sorry couldn’t resist that

While I am thinking about AO one of the things I would like maybe would be a gallery option in game, if that was possible, maybe in a Guild- oops I mean Org HQ where players could see screenies of guild events and also maybe leader/generals so we can throw darts or draw moustaches on , come to think of it a marker pen would be a nice option, after all the pen is mightier than the sword, but not more than a Full Auto from a hairdryer .

Regards

Klanbear and his posse...
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    If I recall right, there was a problem with land control inside the Shadowlands that created a serious coding problem, and the devs decided to scratch that feature before the expansion was launched.
    If i recall it right it was due to the potentional lag that would make PvP there almost impossible, might be worth looking in to it after the new graphic engine...
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Pretty much infinitely scaleable...Not making that mistake again.
    Presumably that will mean multiple RDB files then?
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    If i recall it right it was due to the potentional lag that would make PvP there almost impossible, might be worth looking in to it after the new graphic engine...
    Not to mention some epic heckler trains ^^
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Quilluck View Post
    Not to mention some epic heckler trains ^^
    ...and the unsolved problems how toons will get there in time and stuff ^^
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

This was an "interesting" week. "Interesting" is going to have to be the word of choice as anything else would possibly being sensored by my own moderators.
    Just because a few people around the forums accuse me of being an overly enthusiastic forums nazi doesn't mean I have a death wish, you know.....
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Just because a few people around the forums accuse me of being an overly enthusiastic forums nazi doesn't mean I have a death wish, you know.....
    A taste of what could happen....

"You didn't fall...you were pushed!"
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0 View Post
    ...and the unsolved problems how toons will get there in time and stuff ^^
    Thats solved TBH, there is a transport meant to take you there in each garden that works like the one in the grid for RK towers BUT; the issue is, how do you level lock so people thats level 50 don't step up on it and travels to the orgs inferno base? -.^

And seriously, Tower wars with heckler trains would ROCK.....
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Pretty much infinitely scaleable...Not making that mistake again.
    Wel,, I don't think it's fair to characterize the decisions made in regard to the db 10 years ago as a 'mistake'. That would be like saying the Mars Exploration Rovers Spirit and Opportunity were poorly designed because, after 5 years on Mars, they have a few broken parts.
    I am Dagget

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Means is questioning moderation, isn't that against the rules?
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

""c-tree Plus has proven very robust, and easy to modify to fulfill our needs for database technology."

Pål Frogner Hansen
    Project Manager, Funcom"

Current quote, or from the old days?
    I am Dagget

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisfix View Post
    Means is questioning moderation, isn't that against the rules?
    Indeed it is! Infraction time!

/hides

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast