Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guard killing.

Guard killing.

There is a tread about this pity events and the main conclusion from it is to bring some logic in guard’s response. Almost every CRPG has a role: if you kill a guard or other officials (in some games even just an innocent citizen) your reputation drops down and everywhere in the game-world you will be attacked by other guards. This role keeps and order in the game and makes the life of evil characters more realistic. Is it possible to include such an option in to AO?

// Sorry for the flame if it was already suggested or planned.
    Last edited by LittleBee; Sep 28th, 2002 at 14:07:29.
    "... when faced with a problem you do not understand, do any part of it you do understand, then look at it again."

--------
    Clora "Littlebee" Villalba - Fixer (Rubika-1)

There is nothing more stupid for than some one killing a guard of his own side

To make a reputation system shoul not be too difficult, there is example on how it could work :

- every pc has a "bad reputation"
    - every one begin with 0
    - each time you kill a npc of your own side, you get 100 points in "bad reputation"
    - each time you kill a npc of the other side (clan for a omni, omni for a clan, and omni or clan for a neutral), your "bad reputation" drop by 1
    - if you have more than 500 point, people of your side are angry and will not sell you or speak to you (for quest)
    - If you have more than 1000 point, you are warning (can buy item for booth)
    - If you have more than 1500 point, you are wanted (attacked by guards...)
    - The "bad reputation" is betwen 0 and 3000
    - The "bad reputation" can works for EVERY side (someone with a every bad reputation will be attack everywhere...). The system can have a change for the neutral position : the limite can be 1000/2000/3000 for a omni/neutral or clan/neutral situation (i mean by that a omni in a neutral city or a neutral in a omni city, ...).
    - When you change side, the "bas reputation" will not be reset. If you have a "bad reputation" over 1500, you will have a repuration of 500 else 1000. (for agent, i can be allways 500)

This system is not perfect but it is better than nothing.
    If you have idea to make it better, don't hesitate to say it

// Same thing as Littlebe, i don't find a post about it

hm...acording to this proposal (correct me if i'm wrong) your bad reputation could translate into a good reputation on the oposite side. bad in OMNI = good in Clan?? that way after a sertain amount of bad reputaiton points a person is forced to switch to the other side?

Type quit to log out, but forget to press enter before typing quit. Just so happens I had a guard targetted. Attacked by mistake. Since the guard is of low level, and I'm fully buffed, I crit back to back to back and kill the guard. Now I have "bad rep" for make a simple mistake? And to top it off I have to kill 100 opposing guards to make up for a simple mistake?

Why not just make the guards a little more powerful and not so easy to kill instead?

Er but guard killing is my favorite sport! It's like killing leets! Don't take away my hobby! What am I going to do now? Kill omnis?
    Bill "Rudeboyz" Clinton Nobel Prize Winning Engineer, Crusader for Duct Tape and Reclaim Inspector General of Rubi-Ka Gear

Freshman Bob "Spookyrudy" Dole Buff Dispenser, Sexy Atrox, Master of The Atrox Monkey Love Arts

Not really sure a reputation system is the solution. It never stopped people from ganking guards in Everquest.

A bit of a side tangent...

...but maybe a faction/reputation system might be useful to give to Neutrals? Could help to shape them on a individual basis, since it doesn't appear that Funcom is planning to remove them, yet they aren't a third side, so to speak. This way, they could have Omni or Clan sympathies.

Just an idle thought, since a reputation system was suggested.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

Don't see the point here. People doing it are just bored. I don't see why they should put a reputation thingy because of that. Guard don't give xp or loot. No reasons to kill them except for boredom reason.
    Aguitha, Engineer
    Cratisha, Bureaucrat

many do it just to test weapons

Yes do it!!!

Introduce KARMA!!!!!

Let other players cast a maximum of 1 bad or good vote towards your character. Reputations rule!!!

Well,

1/ I have made a "bad reputation" not a "good reputation" to have allways a number > 0. It is more simple. But it is basicly the same thing. And i prefere to let the guy choose to swith sided (but if you have a very bad reputation, you better have to switch side)

2/ Guard of low lvl ? Well, i never meet a guard that is not at least orange for me. You kill 1 by mistake ? You will not have penality. If you do not kill guard to often, you will not be a bad guy. (you don't have to kill guard but npc)

3/ Rudeboyz, you are a bad guy... if you kill them again and again, why will they not be made at you ?

4/ It is may be not the better solution, but if there is nothing done against it... Neutral is a hard possition and make a lot of troubles for rules in the game. I hope they will never be remove.

5/ Like it is say in omni city : "try your new weapon on clan membres"

6/ Mook, "Karma" is another solution and it can work for looters, thief,... But there is other probleme : how can you limit vote ? too many and it means nothing, too few and you are frustrated

Doesn't really matter as the spawn time has been increased.

Albeit, don't see why you have to kill them, as they drop nothing nor do they give XP.

*sigh*

like I said in another thread... Give the guards a 1k-dmg shield... Think that would stop it quite easily. Harry has one, he takes out a Slayer in no time whatsoever... Think you can beat a Slayer easily? Sounds like the easiest viable solution to this pointless killing.
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled
    This account was cancelled at:
    2004-05-10 06:47:01
    It will remain playable until : 2004-09-20 08:20:45

Time for RL now

Meet Fluffy

You could always hit them in the stores. If someone kills guards, jack up the price they pay for things and lower the prices they get for selling. Sure, they could get someone else to do it for them, but at least they have to deal with the hassle..

or worse yet, what if you used an XP modifier.. the more same-side guards/npcs a player kills, the less XP they gain when doing other things. After X days of not killing guards, this would wear off.. now THAT would make people think twice about killing guards.. no one wants to get less XP when they play..

It bothered me some the other day that I was on a "mixed" team and they decided to attack a clan npc.. because we were a neutral team now, we got XP.. still, it bothered me that we attacked someone from our own side just because we knew we'd get a bit of XP that we could have gotten elsewhere..
    Last edited by Hodaka; Dec 20th, 2002 at 15:00:24.

Originally posted by LeLapin
    2/ Guard of low lvl ? Well, i never meet a guard that is not at least orange for me. You kill 1 by mistake ? You will not have penality. If you do not kill guard to often, you will not be a bad guy. (you don't have to kill guard but npc)
    I'm 190. The 'watchers' are level 90-110ish have been gray to me for some time.

Well I have to admit

that I have been irritated by guard killing at times myself. Not from an rp standpoint, mind you, but when trying to read the shopping channels

Seriously though, I had an "unfortunate incident" the other night.
    I had begun to log off when i decided to target a prison guard to see his level. About that time I was also typing "bye"- while my text bar was closed Luckily there was a backyard near.

Another interesting mistake. While in Greater Tir one day a friend of mine tried to heal a guard. To the best of my knowledge healing is an act of friendship, not an act of violence. But yet two guards attacked us. We killed the guards in self defense.

Now tell me exactly what we did wrong? Would you still give us a 'bad rep' for having defended ourselfs against guards, simply because they refused our help?

edit: fixed a mispelled word
    Last edited by Cemetarygate; Dec 20th, 2002 at 20:24:42.

people kill Guards for 2 reasons, 1/ being bordom and 2/ being to test out weaponry/equipment. As you can easy get to a guard, and they are always the same +/- verry little.

If it bothers you to se the chat get spamed, turn of "other vs other" in your meny...
    If some 1 is killing shopkeepers, and doing it more then once, petition.

Fatebound, you dont ever PvP do you?
    1k shield on guards is about 1 of the worst idea ever!

Basikly this is nothing but a roleplaying issue, how about fixeing the game mekaniks befor something like this? Lag, pet pathing, class balance, guild houseing ect ect ect....

This is but a minor problem to a few people. And considering how the list of what needs fixing looks, then guard killing realy dont matter
    OT Soldier: Sarv
    My little CH ho: Zitrix

Originally posted by Sarv

Basikly this is nothing but a roleplaying issue
    This is an MMORPG.
    This isn't a FPS like: Quake, Diable, etc.

RolePlaying matters.
    Realism matters.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

I still don't see what the issue is...

As sarv said, it's only a role playing issue.. and I shouldn't be forced to roleplay, now should I? A more serious offense to roleplaying would be ganking fellow clan members, but I rarely see people complain on the forums about that.

We kill guards because we're bored. It's a great time killer.

~Chris

What if the voices in my head tell me to kill guards? It really not my fault. Is it?
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast