Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 20th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    I dont want to be that guy but, erm what have you been smoking and can i have some of it?

Im sorry but theres no "black opifexes" or nano mages, or troxes... no really, see erm.. The reason that theres black and white and asian etc etc Humans today (aka Solitus) is that we have developed in to different races over the last hundred of thousand of years or so, perfectly natural and its just the way it is, now the other 3 however have been genetically enhanced striving for perfection in what they are supposed to do, and with financial gain as a driving force as that, theres absolutely no reason for OT to actually sit down and make all those genetic changes to there template, just to be politically correct 20.000 years from now threw a slight minimal tone change in skin colour on there workmonkeys

Now dont get me wrong, Opis aint white ether, there Opifexes, and thats it, i think your just seeing things hat aint there...

Disclamer (always sem to need one of these for some stupid reason):
    When i say race above i mean it in a biological definition such as:
    "In biology, a race is any inbreeding group, including taxonomic subgroups such as subspecies, taxonomically subordinate to a species and superordinate to a subrace and marked by a pre-determined profile of latent factors of hereditary traits." - Wikipedia

And not in some bad nazi "master race" kind of way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    I personally thought all opifexes had the same skin colour, a sort of Grey with a hint of Blue, neither black nor white nor any other ethnicity found in the present day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    Yep. They're meant to be a unique race in their own right. If you want black/white/oriental features play Solitus.

I'll give examples of what I'm talking about (sorry they were from Stratics, so the images are small, but hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about):

Pure Opifex Female

Notice the pure whiteish gray skin, as though the face were carved from marble. The hair is white showing that pure breed Opifexes are probably naturally devoid of pigmentation of any kind due to their genetic profile. While some Opifex have colored hair, this was probably added later as a cosmetic touch.

White Opifex Female

Notice the slight pinkish tone to the skin. Also, bangs indicate naturally colored hair follicles even though hair in the back is dyed orange for cosmetic preference.

Asian Opifex Female

Notice the pinkish brown tone of the skin, coupled with the slight alteration in eye shape which is indicative of an Asian genetic heritage. Also, note that the hair is black which also harkens back to the idea that this Opifex was blended with Asian genetic markers. Further, the face has wispy eyebrows which are common among Asiatic people.

Black Opifex Female

Finally, notice the brownish gray tint to the skin and larger eyes which seem characteristic of an Earth African background. Again, hair is dark, and eyebrows are thicker than the other faces represented here. Lips are just barely fuller than the other models.

So, there absolutely IS a difference in genetic background for each of these Opifex models. It is probably the case that Opifex interbreed more commonly with Solitus which would lead to a wider variety of skin and facial features than are common for Nanomage (who may only be able to mate with other Nanomages) or Atrox (who, of course, cannot mate at all).
    Last edited by Amosco; Mar 21st, 2009 at 12:06:42.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    I'll give examples of what I'm talking about (sorry they were from Stratics, so the images are small, but hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about):

Pure Opifex Female

Notice the pure whiteish gray skin, as though the face were carved from marble. The hair is white showing that pure breed Opifexes are probably naturally devoid of pigmentation of any kind due to their genetic profile. While some Opifex have colored hair, this was probably added later as a cosmetic touch.

White Opifex Female

Notice the slight pinkish tone to the skin. Also, bangs indicate naturally colored hair follicles even though hair in the back is dyed orange for cosmetic preference.

Asian Opifex Female

Notice the pinkish brown tone of the skin, coupled with the slight alteration in eye shape which is indicative of an Asian genetic heritage. Also, note that the hair is black which also harkens back to the idea that this Opifex was blended with Asian genetic markers. Further, the face has wispy eyebrows which are common among Asiatic people.

Black Opifex Female

Finally, notice the brownish gray tint to the skin and larger eyes which seem characteristic of an Earth African background. Again, hair is dark, and eyebrows are thicker than the other faces represented here. Lips are just barely fuller than the other models.

So, there absolutely IS a difference in genetic background for each of these Opifex models. It is probably the case that Opifex interbreed more commonly with Solitus which would lead to a wider variety of skin and facial features than are common for Nanomage (who may only be able to mate with other Nanomages) or Atrox (who, of course, cannot mate at all).
    While im keen to agree i think its more a issue of "bad" textures, or rather the fact that the artists tried to wary themselves more, doubt theres anything more to it...

Opi girls ARE fun to fool around with th.... i have said to much -.^
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    Pure Opifex Female

White Opifex Female

Y'know.... if anything, you got those two mixed up. The "pure Opifex" looks whiter than the white. =P

Although, I see no differences other than bad texturing. >.> To be honest, I'd rather Opifex, Nanomage, and Atrox *not* have ethnic backgrounds...that's the Solitus' job. Opifex could have varieties with bigger ears... nanomages have different cyborg implants ... atroxes all pretty much look the same... :P

Quote Originally Posted by castaras View Post
    Although, I see no differences other than bad texturing. >.> To be honest, I'd rather Opifex, Nanomage, and Atrox *not* have ethnic backgrounds...that's the Solitus' job. Opifex could have varieties with bigger ears... nanomages have different cyborg implants ... atroxes all pretty much look the same... :P
    Why is ethnicity of Opifexes considered the result of "bad texturing" and not the result of original intent by the initial AO Devs?

It seems to make RP sense that Opifex and Solitus could mate, causing ethnically diverse Solitus-Opifex hybrids. And since Nanomage are unique and can only survive on RK it makes sense that they can only mate with each other. Atrox would have no ethnic diversity whatsoever because they cannot procreate. In fact, the only reason Atrox have different faces is probably so that the other races can differentiate them in some way from one another.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Someone is reading -far- too much into the whims of some designer who has probably long since left FC.

Opifexes are grey.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    While im keen to agree i think its more a issue of "bad" textures, or rather the fact that the artists tried to wary themselves more, doubt theres anything more to it...

Opi girls ARE fun to fool around with th.... i have said to much -.^
    I think they wanted to give the opifex some ethnicity, kinda like solitus are naturally. And I agree that way as it makes the breeds less two dimensional to have differences. I would have liked them to have slightly different body textures to complete it.

Nanomages and atrox have similar features, even if we can't link them to solitus kinds. It especially obvious among nanomages that there is very different styles and spirit among them. It is a good compromise imo between making an artificial created breed without an making it an army of clones.

Edit : in the far futures we would probably have completely new styles and cultures of solitus if you ask me, what about a planet where the sun isn't yellow heh?
    Last edited by Boltgun; Mar 21st, 2009 at 13:57:33.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Pure race models, RP possibilities of mating, ethnic diversities, wait, what? Someone is really taking this 3 steps too serious than it needs to be. I'm sure that trying to reverse engineer the fictional anthropology of Rubi-Ka human population would be a fascinating task, but you are trying to analise it on a lot more complicated level then propably original designers of these faces did.

They were created based on certain group of characteristics each breed was supposed to have (spiky ears, gray skin, sleek build , etc). Everything else just depended on limits of artist imagination, and in the end imagination, especially in case of face models, works on patterns existing in our society. This is the reason why you have asian-opifex, not because solitus was doing opisex or the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I'll be answering questions again as it has been awhile since we did that last. Feel free to include questions for others besides me.
    Well, as you asked for it this time, I won't feel too sorry :
    There were of recent several discussions about Neutrals, their issues, issues others had with them and most of all about the dangerous power gap that was widening between neutrals and sideds.
    For the records, the power issue rose with the recent release of Xan token boards, who basically ate the few original mods from Smuggled boards, becoming OPed in the process (at least in my eyes), in particular since the Off/Def boards in themselves can hardly be considered upgrades to Smuggled boards.
    Depending on the prof and breed, the gap between an endgame neut toon and an endgame sided toon is now comparable to 2 or even 3 more pieces of AI armor in favor of the sideds ofc, and it's not even taking into account the Run Speed issue or the High ql Towers issue. That's a bit too much and you were kind enough to acknowledge it and to assure us the issue wouldn't be "swept under the rug".

So, the question : is there anything coming sooner or later to tackle this issue? And if yes, will it be included into a wider review of Neutral place in the big picture?

Hail Means and Macrosun!
    Last edited by Shrubberyman; Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:27:28.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    So, the question : is there anything coming sooner or later to tackle this issue? And if yes, will it be included into a wider review of Neutral place in the big picture?
    Give them new application forms already, so they can finally chose appropriate side in this conflict.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Give them new application forms already, so they can finally chose appropriate side in this conflict.
    We have already chosen the appropriate faction and we did not even need to ask for permission using application forms to do so...

I certainly don't think dumbing the game down to mainstream MMO levels of having only two sides is beneficial for anyone, but those that can't seem to grasp shades other than red and blue.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    We have already chosen the appropriate faction and we did not even need to ask for permission using application forms to do so...

I certainly don't think dumbing the game down to mainstream MMO levels of having only two sides is beneficial for anyone, but those that can't seem to grasp shades other than red and blue.
    In that case, you are good as you are.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post

Yes, I think it would be more interesting if you actually became 3rd side in proper war with other 2, not to be able to join in with whichever fits you more in certain moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    Yes, I think it would be more interesting if you actually became 3rd side in proper war with other 2, not to be able to join in with whichever fits you more in certain moment.
    But neutrals aren't represented by any side they're just people from any kind of corp, area, belief, that don't side with omni or clan. The neutrals aren't a side, they're a motley crew of random people who don't take sides.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    But neutrals aren't represented by any side they're just people from any kind of corp, area, belief, that don't side with omni or clan. The neutrals aren't a side, they're a motley crew of random people who don't take sides.
    Outlaws?
    Dustbrigades

Never said I'm not...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    Outlaws?
    That would be clan scum.

Dustbrigades
    I believe they hate all "three" sides and they pursue their own, unique agenda. Whatever they are, they are most certainly not neutral.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

Lost battle Klod, get over it, Means already acknowledged the issue and said something was gonna be done to fix it. So, it will happen, question is when, in what form and if it will be some isolated change or part of a neutral "side" review.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    Lost battle Klod, get over it, Means already acknowledged the issue and said something was gonna be done to fix it. So, it will happen, question is when, in what form and if it will be some isolated change or part of a neutral "side" review.
    He said he's gonna send flying monkeys after me as well. Guess what.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

He said he's gonna send flying monkeys after me as well. Guess what.
    0o MEANS! I wanna see it happen!
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT

I believe they hate all "three" sides and they pursue their own, unique agenda. Whatever they are, they are most certainly not neutral.
    Well some of them neutrals could have almost fooled me up in BS.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast