Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 13th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    However, the most important thing here is, he's comparing his insanely high res model to a low res model intended for use in a game.
    This.

And now people, cut the crap about heads already (don't get me wrong, the difference between old and new model is huge and it's a nice change - if that's how it's gonna look in game) and feed us some info on body movement, idle animation and emote changes. These are ready for retirement and they should be changed as well.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Sculptured a sketch like atrox on blender just to test how i'd imagine them. I'm a total noob to 3d modelling, because i'm more of a 2d-guy, so i only am able to sculpture stuff from spheres.

My atrox!

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post

However, the most important thing here is, he's comparing his insanely high res model to a low res model intended for use in a game.
    Umm, no. The most important thing is, his model captures the spirit of old head, while the one we were showed , looks like cave gnome. I don't think anyone here was actually commenting about the how detailed that show is.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Umm, no. The most important thing is, his model captures the spirit of old head, while the one we were showed , looks like cave gnome. I don't think anyone here was actually commenting about the how detailed that show is.
    Ummm, his model is actually solitus model. There's nothing to capture there. I would like him to make an opi model first, before we jump to conclusions like this.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

Ummm, his model is actually solitus model. There's nothing to capture there. I would like him to make an opi model first, before we jump to conclusions like this.
    Sure, its easy to say there is nothing to capture, because despite light years of technological difference, they still look very similar. You can clearly see its the same head, unlike with gnome-opifex.

Then again, this is kind of futile discussion, not like they are going to insta-hire someone directily from forum based on one screenshot.

In any case, got to be very careful when making new versions of old heads. Hell, maybe its even better to just make new ones

You can clearly see its the same head, unlike with gnome-opifex.
    That's because solitus is actually easier to "capture", duh.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

That's because solitus is actually easier to "capture", duh.
    It is. That's however not what you said.

This.

And now people, cut the crap about heads already (don't get me wrong, the difference between old and new model is huge and it's a nice change - if that's how it's gonna look in game) and feed us some info on body movement, idle animation and emote changes. These are ready for retirement and they should be changed as well.

Modifying those is an order of magnitude more involving and $$$ then redoing heads and smoothing bodies. I think it is safe to say that such changes are not even on the radar.

It is. That's however not what you said.
    Yes it is.

@Junttius
    Nice work on opisex. Needs smaller ears IMO.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

This.

Something you don't seem to understand here is that, we don't want the SUPER high res model in the game... What we were commenting about on his model there was how it retained the look of the solitus female!
    The Opi female head they showed was a far cry from the original, with it's big eyes, and overly rounded features.

In other words, we wanted that person to be picked up by funcom because he's able to retain the original concepts of the models in his work, instead of drasticlly altering them.

Now, im all for altering certain features of the game... Namly combat stances, how characters move/flow, adding/changing some skill animations (keeper cleave not looking like your char clicks a button then suddely the mobs hurt by nanos, lol. maybe actually swinging in a special way....), but one of the things that this games got that beats out alot of other ones, is it's unique and eye pleasing faces!
    Sure, they look like cardboard cutouts atm, but they're still COOL looking! They simpy need to be brought up to speed in their graphical appearences, not completly altered to look like a diffrent face.

Yes it is.

@Junttius
    Smaller ears and less startled looking.

Opifexes aren't Gnomes/Elves or Vulcans nor are they constantly having something rammed up their posterior.

They're simply, grey skinned, sleek/slender, more agile Solitus types.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

On the 3d-modelling subject. Artists need some time to work well. I'd let them do their work, maybe they even give us some sneak peeks from time to time so we can give constructive feedback. I don't think that the situation is as worrying as some might think here.

@Junttius
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Junttius View Post
    Win! Wow so much talent here (Solstiare too), I'm impressed.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I actually think Junttius' opifex looks better than the one Means put up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Smaller ears and less startled looking.

Opifexes aren't Gnomes/Elves or Vulcans nor are they constantly having something rammed up their posterior.

They're simply, grey skinned, sleek/slender, more agile Solitus types.

hope this one looks a bit more opi

made ears smaller and eyes less "0.o"

Quote Originally Posted by Junttius View Post
    hope this one looks a bit more opi

made ears smaller and eyes less "0.o"
    That's pretty nice, very Opisexy.

I hope they make it so that hair looks less like a hat, or less like the wearer uses eight tons of hair gel in the morning.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Now, lets say that Soli's model has 20.000 polygons. That's a lot more polygons for your processor to calculate for each and every frame.
    10k-ish. That is just the head, the full model calcs out to the low 70,000's

No, my model is useless in AO, that shot took 2-3 min to render. My comment was directed at the TEXTUREMAP, not the model. That texturemap, shrunk by the 50% it would take for AO, surface blending dialed waaaayyy back, and the resoulution droped by a factor of 10...hmmm. ill toss something up later along those lines.

I'd also be interested in hearing which software he uses.
    I'm not saying he is, but I've seen quite some artwork floating around this forum which ended up being Poser renders with adjusted textures.
    If he modeled it himself, good job. But I wouldn't hire him based on that shot.
    Poser is for poseurs. Textures by THE GIMP and models/renders by BLENDER. I tried MAYA for a while, but my student copy puts a $@%ing watermark on everything. I am NOt paying 1k just to get rid of it either. Open-source ftw ^.^

@ the opi-freeks: ill show you a thing or two. later. I have errands to run. mehehehehehe!

@ Junttius: model the ears and hair separately, then stick them on, you get much better definition between them and the actual head.

@ klod: you are a boil on the ass of humanity.
    Last edited by Solstiare; Mar 15th, 2009 at 17:31:57.
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Solstiare View Post
    @ Junttius: model the ears and hair separately, then stick them on, you get much better definition between them and the actual head.
    Thanks, will do that in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Solstiare View Post
    @ klod: you are a boil on the ass of humanity.
    I <3 you too.

P.S.
    Now, go make one NM. For all the love sake between two of us.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast