Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 13th, 2009

All this fighting over the face models, hell I'm just happy that all the talk about the new engine is showing some forward progress.

Lets not make the dev's regret showing us a sample otherwise they may be less open to suggestion and more likely to just drop the final package in our lap.

Nanomage

my last 3d-model in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebie View Post
    ... What we were commenting about on his model there was how it retained the look of the solitus female!
    The Opi female head they showed was a far cry from the original, with it's big eyes, and overly rounded features.
    What Trebie said.

Personally, I think the feedback about retaining the look of the breeds is extremely valuable. Far better for FC to hear it now, than to hear it after all the work on the new heads is completed.
    Last edited by tiralee; Mar 15th, 2009 at 21:29:30. Reason: Typo

Someone wanted a Leet.. I present the 10 minute plush leet. I was bored.....
    No he isnt rigged yet LW is being a royal pain in the butt at the moment and I am tired of fighting with it for now.
    TTR about 1.20m

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...y-btz/leet.jpg

His fur is 38 million individual fibers, for reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Junttius View Post
    Nanomage

You made me look phat.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

You made me look phat.
    Thats because you are. He was going for realism.
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Thats because you are. He was going for realism.
    No, I'm not. I'm just... Big boned. -.-

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

hope this one looks a bit more opi

made ears smaller and eyes less "0.o"
    Hm looks like some alien from Star Trek Vulcans I think
    Originally Posted by Technogen:
    Shen Stick + Dshark + Remod = Quantum Nutcracker (No Prof Lock)

Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Someone wanted a Leet.. I present the 10 minute plush leet. I was bored.....
    No he isnt rigged yet LW is being a royal pain in the butt at the moment and I am tired of fighting with it for now.
    TTR about 1.20m

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...y-btz/leet.jpg

His fur is 38 million individual fibers, for reference.
    Nice leet
    Originally Posted by Technogen:
    Shen Stick + Dshark + Remod = Quantum Nutcracker (No Prof Lock)

Priceless

he's modeled to be rigable but the damn LW/OPENGL/Vista32 problem has me completly stymied.

This.

And now people, cut the crap about heads already (don't get me wrong, the difference between old and new model is huge and it's a nice change - if that's how it's gonna look in game) and feed us some info on body movement, idle animation and emote changes. These are ready for retirement and they should be changed as well.
    Bump. Heads and such are all fine and dandy, recent games I've played having 1000 sliders for changing the way your eyes tilt and how long your nose is. Things that NOONE, including yourself, will ever see because they're all playing in 3rd person, or head is helmeted, and so on. You may see it like once in a blue moon, but other than that... meh. Idle animations, movement and so on, that's what's really important. You look at that stuff all the time, and good animations can bring life to even the worst of models.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

[QUOTE=Solstiare;5463670]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Bump. Heads and such are all fine and dandy, recent games I've played having 1000 sliders for changing the way your eyes tilt and how long your nose is. Things that NOONE, including yourself, will ever see because they're all playing in 3rd person, or head is helmeted, and so on. You may see it like once in a blue moon, but other than that... meh. Idle animations, movement and so on, that's what's really important. You look at that stuff all the time, and good animations can bring life to even the worst of models.
    I like heads, but the above here is well worth reading. Textures for faces in AO are actually really, really, really damn good for their age. If there is one thing I trust in Funcom (and there aint a lot..) it's art and music. That is where they really know their stuff.

As for animations - Look at GTA 3, and its variants. The models used in GTA:SA for example nowadays are terrible compared to say, GTA4 - But they still remain lively and full of life and engaging because their animations and personas are so well detailed through animations (and sound).

It makes a huge difference whether your manniquin moves like a mannequin, or your stick man moves like a real human being. Most people prefer the latter when they play the character.
    I'm casting "Physical Dominance" on you as a kind of kinky thing
    ... also quite proud of being suspended from Lemmingnet.. for... not slacking?
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

About idle animations...

Something like this, pretty please.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

The only thing that worries me about new heads is if the old ones *are* removed from character creation, and how that might affect Face Graft for us agents.

I'm quite fond of switching faces now and again, but always like having my old one to go back to. Especially as my regular face has three hairstyle variants which I switch between depending on my mood.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

About idle animations...

Something like this, pretty please.
    I hope that was a female character underneath all that armor, because that idle animation was the most effeminate looking thing I've ever seen.

And, as to the detail on the heads, granted, we won't see it all the time, but now that we have social tab I have noticed alot of people walk around without helmets much of the time. Plus, we are human. Humans have a psychological predisposition toward identifying faces. This is why we tend to see smiley faces in naturally occurring rock formations, or why we see the fronts of cars and think they look like faces.

Faces are very important to us as a species. If they weren't, all of our characters could just have a solid blue dot for a face and we wouldn't care. I know, from an animation point of view a face seems pointless, but from an immersion point of view faces are very important for how we identify with our characters and the characters around us.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    The only thing that worries me about new heads is if the old ones *are* removed from character creation, and how that might affect Face Graft for us agents.

I'm quite fond of switching faces now and again, but always like having my old one to go back to. Especially as my regular face has three hairstyle variants which I switch between depending on my mood.
    Well I would assume that they would replace the heads with the same ID, thus after the change they new heads would in fact replace them and upon login your new head will display in place of the old one.

Face Graft wouldn't be affected, the nano just switched available breed faces. The nano won't change, what changes are the available new faces.

I think this is a good step in the change of the game, new graphics engine, new faces, etc.

I'm still hoping for a more flexible avatar creation process which allows a better custom made face, hair color & body. The way things are developing (and how Macrosun is also to work with the code) I think there is a shot at this actually happening, I wouldn't bet on it, but after doing a little research on Ogre, it seems to be very powerful and flexible engine.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    I hope that was a female character underneath all that armor, because that idle animation was the most effeminate looking thing I've ever seen.
    It was.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

Nanomage

kinda model is ok but its chin is 2 big and u r missing textures.

Edit: U cant risk a High poly faces in a MMORPG it will be a hell when 10 ppl gather together, so sadly the models should be as low poly as possible, just my opinion tho, the models some ppl posted are great, ........ for a offline game or sumting but for mmo with that much polys im not quite sure.
    Last edited by ajukusoja; Mar 16th, 2009 at 09:56:06.
    ◄ Ajukusoja 220/30 | Stabby 220/24 ►
    ◄ Peyotes 165/14 | Sekacha 150/19 ►
    [All Retired]

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Well I would assume that they would replace the heads with the same ID, thus after the change they new heads would in fact replace them and upon login your new head will display in place of the old one.

Face Graft wouldn't be affected, the nano just switched available breed faces. The nano won't change, what changes are the available new faces.

Yes, this is the PROBLEM I have.

Means said they'd leave the old faces for those of us who want to keep them, but make them unavailable to choose from.

If this meant Face Graft would stop having the old ones available it would upset me quite a bit, as I use the nano to keep my existing face, while cycling through the hairstyles.
    I like my face and would definitely choose to keep it, but it would be a shame to lose the ability to cycle back to it, effectively meaning I'd never use the nano again. (In which case I'd also want the ability to delete nanos from our list restored - so I could prevent accidentally using it)
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    Yes, this is the PROBLEM I have.

Means said they'd leave the old faces for those of us who want to keep them, but make them unavailable to choose from.

If this meant Face Graft would stop having the old ones available it would upset me quite a bit, as I use the nano to keep my existing face, while cycling through the hairstyles.
    I like my face and would definitely choose to keep it, but it would be a shame to lose the ability to cycle back to it, effectively meaning I'd never use the nano again. (In which case I'd also want the ability to delete nanos from our list restored - so I could prevent accidentally using it)
    Remove from shortcut bar, nobody really using the nano menu that stores all except maybe he favorites tab, in which case you can remove from that tab back to the original one.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast