Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing/patching/playing AO on Windows Vista / 7

imtryin to install onto a friends pc who wants to play but i have encountered a weird error when installing brand new load. I have downloaded ao installer onto a new pc and it is giving an error message while installing the wav files. abort/retry/ignore... it is doing it with all the neutral wavs and im ignoring it to bypass them but im wondering if i should install small load and just patch manually? or if anyone has encountered this a faster way to get it done. its been installing for 2 days as it takes about 20min to get the error for each wav file and i have to sleep/work so im only able to progress with ignore when im home and i only get about 6-8 wavs per night :/

worse case ill copy all the patch files onto cd and manually install them...???
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I'd recommend getting the 18.1.1 full client (linked to in this thread) and install that.
    Also remember to follow the tips in this threads original post.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Can anyone please help me

I have tried all the suggestions listed in this post but nothing works. I am trying to run AO client on a Laptop running Vista and simply cannot connect to the login servers i.e. i suspect client is fine just cant connect to even login! if anyone has encountered this issue and has a fix i would greatly appreciate some help

issues extracting

Ive ran Ao for about 7yrs on several computers including this one. I just had a drive go bad and a stick of ram. Everything from old drive was put on this new one everything else was working but when i tried to run ao id hit accept and nothing. So i uninstalled loaded up the cd's same thing. I downloaded large client while extracting files I get a Cocreate failed code 0x80040154, class not registered error stumped here running XP pro dual core with 3 gig of ram it was installed c:/programs etc before ive installed it in c:/games this round

I followed the advice to copy the Anarchy Online directory in-whole to a new non-Program Files location. However, I've lost hotbars, bag arrangements, and other individual character configuration settings. I did copy the directory as a whole, so the Prefs subdirectory should be the same (and appears to be the same).

The start icon calls for starting in the new directory, also.

I tried reloading AO from a new download into a different directory, and copying the Prefs, which seems to partially work.

Anyone have ideas with this? Does AO plant config information outside of the directory somewhere?

This isn't too bad, but I'd rather not have to recreate a bunch of alts' setups from scratch if I can avoid it.

Because you had AO intalled in Program Files, Vista/Win7 did the courtesy of transparently messing with the Prefs folder, creating and using a copy of it instead of the one in the AO install folder.

According to this thread, the version of the Prefs folder that was actually used to store your client configuration should be here:

c:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\virtualstore\p rogram files\funcom\anarchy online\

If you move it to the folder where AO is now, everything should be restored.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Thanks very much, that did it.

And, @#$#@ to Microsoft, just by the way...

I have a found a fix with still allows you to run UAC with Win 7 and not having AO crash from dialogs.

Control Panel:
    System Security
    Under Action Center:
    Change User Account Control Settings

There move bar one notch down, AO shouldn't crash anymore from UAC dialogs...

I'm very glad I found this one finaly...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

still no fixes for those of us with the textcolor.xml bug
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

On Windows 7, you can bypass the need to install AO somewhere other than Program Files (if, for example, you like using the system of organization you've been using since Win 95) by simply choosing to Run As Administrator every time you run AO. Caveat: if you forget to do this even once, your settings will get baleeted.

This security "feature" is the only thing holding me back from being happy with Win 7. *sigh* too bad Macs are just plain garbage all around... and can't run AO.

file does not exist on server?

i have installed the latest version last night, tried patching and received this error:error getting file '/c/v18.1.1_EP1........ unknown error 0 (file does not exist on server?), i have vista and had played on this system once a few years back so i know it should work fine. any help would be appreciated, thanks,

have switched back to XP, still wont let me download patch, same error; File does not exist on server ? anyone ?
    Last edited by deadiebears; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:52:07.

Copying to a different OS might not work

I tried copying AO folder from Vista to XP. Starting AO froze the computer, and then it would not start (got stuck on windows logo), and subsequent testing revealed bad sectors on hard drive.
    It was a 7 year old machine, so maybe writing 3Gigs of data was the last drop that killed it, but it is still a tad su****ious. I now just reinstall and re-patch the AO when I move it to a new machine. And copy the Prefs folder.

Even running AO in a self made folder may run into situations in Windows7 where it can not right to it. I am not sure why most people still suggest "running as Admin" if they do not like having to do this all the time. The most simplest fix for this and I think it would even run fine in Program Files if you do this is to change the permission on the folder itself. Any other game I have installed I do this on and I never have problems.
    To do this, User an admin account, right click on the AO folder, go to Properties, click the Security tab at the top, Click the Edit button below the users, Highlight "Users" and click the check mark below for full permissions.
    There might be a progress meter that runs below, once it ends, OK out any left over windows and enjoy. You no longer have to worry about "running as admin" or not have read/write access to files and folders in the AO folder.
    RK1 - Omni
    Vakasha - Fixer | Transmutant - Meta-Physicist | Friska - Trader | Eagleclaw - MA | Xytech - NT | a few other alts.

No, you won't have trouble outside protected areas
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Just FYI - Security Tab is only on "professional" skus of Windows. Home Premium/Home don't have a security tab unless you go in and turn off Simple File Sharing.. and even then it doesn't work right all the time.

Just a bit of happy advise from your neighbourhood sysadmin

Quote Originally Posted by Raizelon View Post
    Just FYI - Security Tab is only on "professional" skus of Windows. Home Premium/Home don't have a security tab unless you go in and turn off Simple File Sharing.. and even then it doesn't work right all the time.

Just a bit of happy advise from your neighborhood sysadmin
    hah, Ok, I had not realized that. I never have bought a home version of windows before. I thought it only had to do with things like Comp Management and domain availability. Thanks for the heads up.
    RK1 - Omni
    Vakasha - Fixer | Transmutant - Meta-Physicist | Friska - Trader | Eagleclaw - MA | Xytech - NT | a few other alts.

Root.xml issues when patching

Root.XML is there however, patching will not complete and errors out.

I replaced the contents of \Anarchy Online\cd_image\gui\Default\OptionPanel\ from a working AO directory from another computer. AO on the affected computer patched and is running fine now. It took replacing both files in that directory for AO to work again.

maybe this will help.

AnarchyonlinePatcher crashes when updating 18.4.7 and onward when running it on a Windows 8 OS. For some strange reason it hands up itself and force closes just after downloading the RTP files and starting the actual update sequence.
    Florentino"Marlark" Suitt
    Master of the Universe of The Asylum

[Genesis] Marlark: First rule of Genesis, Blame canada for anything and everything with other words blame Rotender.
    [Tsunameh]: i just bought this acct on ebay and you're only friend on the friendslist. There's no creds, could i get some plx?
    [Genesis] Marlark: **** HAPPEN WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED!!!!!!
    [Nipntuck]: what org r u in

Originally Posted by "Thetweek" : yeah well its a big thing to do marlark is like god :> so hard to go against him hehe

Unhappy UAC problem

I recently updated to the 18.6.1 version, and suddenly I'm getting the error "Windows cannot find "C:Funcom\anarchy" make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Even when I navigate to the C:funcom\anarchy folder and launch (right click, run as administrator) it manually, it pops up two uac boxes, then quits with the same error. I did find out that if I turn the UAC off (not something I want to do, just to play AO) it will run.

I tried opening a tech support ticket, but I get 4 emails
    "Thank you for contacting Funcom Customer Service. We have deleted your ticket as per your request."
    3x then

Thank you for contacting Funcom Customer Service. We have received your request ticket and have given it the ID of "[Funcom Support #xxxxxx]". Please include this ID in all future correspondence regarding this ticket. If you have any additional information to add to your ticket, please reply to this email.

In most cases you will get a personal email response from one of our representatives within one business day.

But, when i check the status, it is in fact deleted. I think your automated ticket system needs kicked in the 010's.

Sounds like a case of some seriously messed up access priviledges and/or file ownership.

Unless you want to dig deep into what's needed to properly fix this, try the following:
    1. Temporarily turn UAC off
    2. Log in with the OS user you are normally using
    3. COPY the entire AO installation to some other location
    4. Turn UAC back on
    5. Try to run the new copy of AO on the OS user account you are normally using without running as admin

If it works, delete the old installation along with its entire path, then either recreate the path and move the copy back to the old location, or just run AO from the new location from now on. If it still doesn't, then there are even more serious issues than what I can think of...

And in the future stop messing with forced priviledge elevation (run as admin) and don't launch AO from different OS user accounts, use only the same one every time.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast