Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - January 23rd, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Synch Issues:

We have for some time been working on a more permanent solution to the "synch/lag" issues that seems to be randomly affecting players for some time. Within the next month we should have test dimensions up and running at another provider that will hopefully perform better during peak hours. Setting the game up itself isn't difficult, as we publish new servers etc all the time, it is the arcane art of monitoring/error reporting/billing/support tools for AO that is difficult. Either way I am very much looking forward to examining results from this new server/network environment. If all looks well we will move to the new environment as soon as humanly possible. Of course I will let you know when.

So you finally accepted my proposal to use the now empty AoC Servers?

Semi-ontopic:
    Here in germany AoC is now available for 6,99 EUR and you even get a physical disc etc.
    When will AO's price get cut and/or something like an AO budget version happen?

I'll be in Copenhagen again this weekend and the Skåne area. Thanks for all the Danes and Swedes who made last weekend so much fun. If anyone gets the chance to go to the Copenhagen Zoo it is fantastic...I haven't had that much fun in a long time. I'll be there again this Sunday so we can see the Elephants we missed last time.

Cheers,

Colin "Means" Cragg
    Screens of the Eles or it didn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    To the text in bold:
    If you somehow make it possible to buy the items in GMS from the GMS terminal (they spawn in your inventory, and is deleted from the target shop), this shouldn't be a problem. Just an idea.
    And yes, I know. It is SO much easier to say it, than to do it.
    This.

Removes the stupid time sink of travelling to a shop to get an item, IN THE YEAR 29483, where teleportation isn't a big deal at all. Makes perfect sense to get the item directly from the GMS.

I hope he succeeds with the city instancing.
    Neophyte "Ruberaa" 5/0 - lolequip

Just to clarify...

Instanced cities won't have player shops.

Cities that are already there will retain their player shops.

Got it.

I love the work you guys do for AO, but this one makes me wonder why it wasn't done earlier.

While it will do some much needed good for small clans out there, it's saddening to think of the number of clans that disbanded or merged because they couldn't get a city in the price range they could afford. Did the herd need thinning? Possibly...but the game lost some good people over it.

I think the correct term here is: Better late than never. At least city prices from the Real Estate "barons" out there will come down.

Means, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear about the possible provider change, and the hope that it will reduce the sync issues. However, I think at least one of the recent sync problems (the chest out of range, which lasts indefinitely regardless how long you stand right next to it) isn't related directly to network issues, but seems like a code issue. Can you let us know if you think it's a code or network issue, and whether anyone has or can look into it?

Thanks very much, the new content looks awesome.

New in the not so distant future:

Instanced Cities:

Macrosun has taken it upon himself to create the instanced cities that have been long requested by the player base. This will be difficult...but he feels he is making good progress. The instanced nature of these playfields will make it impossible to have player owned shops...but the city bonuses and alien attacks should now be available to everyone. This is a long way from completion but at least work has begun on this issue that has been with us for a long time. "Normal" cities will still retain value due to their size and their player shops...but more AI content will now be available to all. I'm hoping we can also grant fr00b access to the org HQ's at the same time.

Ah, does that mean RK1-RK3 will be merged in the near future?

Otherwise it wouldn't really make sense to implement such a system, esp. because there are more than enough empty cities available. And the argument, that small orgs couldn't affort cities doesn't really count, because the cities prices could just be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldiTwo View Post

Otherwise it wouldn't really make sense to implement such a system, esp. because there are more than enough empty cities available. And the argument, that small orgs couldn't affort cities doesn't really count, because the cities prices could just be reduced.
    At the moment at least on RK 1, there aren't enough cities to go around from what I've seen, every single one is taken, some people have farm orgs, just for AI raids and they would probably benefit more from an instanced city than a real one, additionally the smaller orgs that can't get a city spot because they're all taken would be able to partake of the action with an instanced city.

I am curious however how much an instanced city would cost to have, I'd assume less than a normal city since it doesn't have as many benefits, but what benefits would an instanced city have and will there be any limit to the number of Instanced cities available on a server?
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

PVP Nanos:
    Engineer Mines: currently being made by Metaing

Engineers will be able to place two mines at a time on the Battlestation. Mines will have a "Lifetime" of 8 minutes. The two mines that can be placed will be AOE snare (-2200 runspeed/30 seconds at 220) and AOE Nanodrain (-10000 at 220). Any combination of the two types can be placed. Mines will be visible by your own side, making it easier for other engineers to place theirs. Mines will be armed as soon as they are placed. I was hoping to take care of these myself but time has not allowed me to get to them. Any delay is entirely my fault. Metaing is now on it and we barely missed getting them into the version going to test this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of testing and feedback on this addition.
    Will the mines have a lockout time on them? And will they show up in the pet window so we can know when they go off. I really don't want to have to camp my mines to see when they went. (Or a marker to show where the mines were placed on the BS map)
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Hi Arrien, how nice that I get to post after you

Thank you for the information on the instanced cities, it is good to know in advance, as we are saving up.

Just one more info a lot of us would like:

Is it the description or the effect of Remedy Inhibitor that is bugged?
    Please fix one of them, to end all the discussions

I look forward to the Profession Balancing Act.
    When you are re-evaluating, could you then also re-evaluate old bans?
    You get shorter sentences for crimes in RL than cursing in AO.
    I agree that exploited accounts should stay like that, but behavior can change and mature over the years, that is the thought behind Nordic prisons at least.
    AO lives on and on, I fear some might have been forgotten, that would like to join again.
    AO has this page: Tips For Submitting A Petition
    Guildwars have this easily findable page:
    Conduct Breaches & Outcomes
    I think a more transparent punishment system will work for the better.
    Both so people that are offended know what is done with the offender (in broad terms, not specific)
    And the offender knows how the punishments will escalate.

Thank you for the feedback, and thank you for reading this and considering how old some of the game and forum bans are
    Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

hey means, thanks for the info. Have an decisions been made on AoE range on mines? or how fast we will be able to plant them? or if they are BS only? and can members of the same side accidentally step on them as well?
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrien View Post
    Means, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear about the possible provider change, and the hope that it will reduce the sync issues. However, I think at least one of the recent sync problems (the chest out of range, which lasts indefinitely regardless how long you stand right next to it) isn't related directly to network issues, but seems like a code issue. Can you let us know if you think it's a code or network issue, and whether anyone has or can look into it?

Thanks very much, the new content looks awesome.
    I agree it is code, there was a certain patch that made it worse than it already was. I believe it was the patch (if anyone remembers) when the mobs (I remember first trying to kite hecks during this) started ghosting. When they got out of range and reset their original location, if you went back into visual range, they all began just running on your screen, but were still in that original spot. Whatever was changed in that patch when that happen is what made sync even worse (if I am remembering correctly).

But to get it back to better than it was before that patch mishap, when it wasn't all that good either tbh, these changes are welcome as well, but I don't believe they will solve the problem.
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    At the moment at least on RK 1, there aren't enough cities to go around from what I've seen, every single one is taken, some people have farm orgs, just for AI raids and they would probably benefit more from an instanced city than a real one, additionally the smaller orgs that can't get a city spot because they're all taken would be able to partake of the action with an instanced city.

I am curious however how much an instanced city would cost to have, I'd assume less than a normal city since it doesn't have as many benefits, but what benefits would an instanced city have and will there be any limit to the number of Instanced cities available on a server?
    Good point, and how many members would an org need to get an instanced city?

Ah, does that mean RK1-RK3 will be merged in the near future?.
    No server merges are planned. Not at all.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

The implementation of the instanced cities would only hurt the people who have ownership of multiple cities and farm them continueously for the purpose of making credits from the sale of the loot.

You are spot on about the empty cities point. They are available now, it only happens when an org dies out and/or cant pay the rent. The sad thing is that its not a frequent occurance (If you want evidence of this, send me a PM ingame or on the forums). Any small org with people who know how to make money ingame from other methods than city bot farming can afford upkeep.

This is a welcome addition and would stabilise the game so that everyone has access to the content, just not the shops. It prepares the game for an influx of players and i think it'll do the world of good.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Today at 18:32:45.. Reason: constantly mistyping someone else's name in an attempt to belittle them in harassment

Any plans to add FUN stuff for mellee profesions ? (now that knockbacks were removed?)

Anything that SNARES ruins mellee FUN against ranged and lately we see more and more snares... (just something to think about when you guys are adding more snares)

I don t know if you have statistics on BS like: no of players prof on and who won and by how much, cause it could be a start for the balance issues. Currently in my experience one side pwn the other one BAD (happens a lot when low number of chars is on) and very rare (most of the time when many players are on) is balanced and fun. New players on BS are RARE and often are leaving fast in frustration if they are not the "right" profession. Somehow the nemessis professions design tends to ruin the FUN on BS . If your side doesn t have the right support you simply have no chance/fun.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SYNC ISSUE tests (nice job if it gets them fixed!)

Yep we are still dreamming about blunt perks improvements and it s nice to see that FC actually takes that into consideration.

No server merges are planned. Not at all.
    k, thank you for clarifying. But at least it would be a bit easier then - if planed.

Are you looking into revamping perks lines and be willing to change stuff like updating them to scale with today's damage or add new things to perks?
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Firstly, I was surprised that today's Friday was a real pickup even though new graphics engine and new booster were not mentioned at all - and I'm looking forward to both. That goes to show how good news these were.

Updates sound exciting. The move to eventually implement instanced cities is a righteous one. So is the engineer mines, even though I am horrified at the nano drain already (Eek!), here's hoping to root/snare resist working for those pesky mines

Synch and lag, well, personally I haven't been suffering from this very much but then again I only have one melee toon.

The profession balance review sounds exciting, and even more so because you're going to share the results with the playerbase. Below, a sneak peek into what's been discovered so far:

(edited out cause it wasn't that funny)

Anyway, having already wasted a minute from your life you'll never get back, I did have a question in my mind as well, concerning this profession balancing act: Is the scope of this balancing act only concerning the end game, or lower (title) levels as well?
    Last edited by eroz_c; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 22:52:30.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

thanks for the update means.
    love the instanced idea for cities.

im am really glad you guys are reviewing the professions and looking to make a balance.

i sincerly hope each professions forums are watched closely in the coming weeks/months as you plan to balance things out.

ps. do you think there will be a time when low level tower wars are made no osb's.

i dream of a day i can make a lvl 50 character and pvp for towers with just the tools at hand and a clever setup.instead of hp buffs and hots.big ask but no harm asking

Quote Originally Posted by Marlark View Post
    Was nice talking to you on the phone last weekend Colin.. this time we def need to meet up and go get a beer or something and talk some more
    You'r from Lund right? If so im game!

While you are busy with cities, could you also fix advantages being randomly down or up in some areas when CC is either full or below 10%? Same when you ld, if you relog immediately without waiting for the counter to get to 0, contracts/city will be down and you'll have to relog/zone.

Just to give you an example, I had city advantages down inside apf yesterday, I zone to 35 and they are up. Team disband, I'm teleported outside 35 with advs up, I zone back into 35 and they are down. Team disband again and I get warped back outside right into 35 fence (oh yeah another 'bug' to fix).
    blah

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast