Thread: Why are there NODROPs on Mobs that take more then 1 Team to Kill?

Why are there NODROPs on Mobs that take more then 1 Team to Kill?

How exactly does this make sense? Why is it that MOBs such as Tarasque or the new q300 Mobs drop items that are NODROP, yet it takes 3-8 teams to kill these mobs?

How does that make any sense? When there are 30 people involved to kill a mob, usually loot is taken by the most trustworthy member of the looting team, and divided up (usually by raffle). Yet, Nodrops throw a monkey wrench in there because they are impossible to raffle for in such a short amount of time giving non-looting teams to NINJA the loot.

Cz, why exactly does this happen?

Its because if the items were droppable, people wouldn't ever have to go kill the tough monster to get his items. Its a rite of passage and anyone wearing the nodrop item is a member of the club that can say "I came, I saw, and I kicked his mule!"

If you could buy every item there would be nothing to set the truly uber player apart from the guy that bought the uber item on the shopping channel. If you can't ever be better than the next guy no matter what you do or how much work you put out, that really spoils the competitive nature of the game.

"I came, I saw, and I ninja the p4at l3wt!"

Anyway, would be cool if the NODROP items wouldn't be NODROP for the first 15 min after the kill.

Originally posted by Nianna
    Its because if the items were droppable, people wouldn't ever have to go kill the tough monster to get his items. Its a rite of passage and anyone wearing the nodrop item is a member of the club that can say "I came, I saw, and I kicked his mule!"

If you could buy every item there would be nothing to set the truly uber player apart from the guy that bought the uber item on the shopping channel. If you can't ever be better than the next guy no matter what you do or how much work you put out, that really spoils the competitive nature of the game.
    But the problem lies when there are 25 people who killed the boss. It them poses problems when you decide who gets the loot.

Since you seem to love the idea, why don't you come up with a workable idea to raffle and loot accordingly a Nodrop item when there are 17 people raffling for it?

So let me get this straight, you think that allowing ninja looters to sell everything they manage to ninja loot will discourage ninja looting?

I would not call what we have ideal. We need to be able to see what people loot from corpses so we can detect ninja looting when it happens and we need a way for the server to roll a random number for us so we can decide who gets the loot.

Still, even after we have all that, there will be ninja looters. You simply cannot have a npc that is supposed to be so hard that people will almost never kill it and not have ninja looters. That one and only time that people get together to kill the monster, everyone is going to know that this is the only chance to get the item so some people are going to try to up their odds by trying to snatch the loot since they may not ever get a shot at it again and probably not the 50 or so times they'd have to do it in order to have a good chance of getting the item. Its simple personal greed.

The only way to completely insulate players from that greed is to make it so that every item can be obtained by every player solo so that they'll never have to share with a group of potential ninja looters, but then the game will be so easy for groups that by level 120 everyone will have every item in the game, or at least every item that doesn't come from an npc with an 18 hour spawn that is camped by 4 groups of people waiting to steal the kill from each other.

Future idea

************** Future Idea *******************
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the future maybe there could be implemented some sort of multi-group code to enable teams to associate with each other into a corps or something (a multi-group group) and have the loot table on boss, special, or ultra-rare monsters actually specify a random person from all the people in the corps that gets the kill to have looting rights for each item. (If there's more than one corps, only the one doing the most damage gets a chance at the loot.) Everyone could try to loot the corpse individually and see what, if anything, they were lucky enough to have randomly won from the contents of the corpse. A player that won an item would see only the item he won in the corpse and one that didn't would not see anything in the corpse when he loots. No one could have any possibility of looting the loot that belongs to another person. For class restricted items you would either make the server smart enough to lotto that item only between the classes that actually can use it or you just increase the drop rate of the class-specific items to compensate for the fact that many times a person that cannot actually use the item would get it making it a wasted souvenir.

I think something like this would more or less solve the loot problem completely, but it requires a significant amount of new programming.

Everquest has this same problem.
    They, at least, have notification of who looted what in chat.

*shrug*

There doesn't seem to be a good fix for this that doesn't involve large changes in game mechanics.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Why are there nodrops? I mean, from a basic realism point of view, how are you going to find something that you can pick up off the ground and then never put it back down? It sounds really stupid to me.

I'm still rather new to the whole situation, but I've had a thought on uber NODROP items. It may add a more sinister but useful reason to PvP attack.

Make the NODROP items also exempt from what I understand as the "Can loot 1 item from the player since the last save". If I understand it correctly, anything you've saved before hand, is safe, but anything new you pick up since that last save is vulnerable. Sure that means that usually you're vulnerable right after you complete that mission and just before you save from that last mission, but if you make those NODROP items exempt from the usual safe-protection, you could setup situations where, if you think someone ninja'd the gear you wanted. Whack em. Even if the item is NODROP you can possibly get it, regardless of when the guy last saved.

Just a thought. As I mentioned, I haven't really gotten to the point where I can PvP or get uberloot, but it'd add a challenge down the line.