Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Answer to Jim Salabim's explanation on range nerf

I don't think your solution would work. People could just step back and forth within range to get a few hits and thus get XP. Not to mention that having to take damage from a mob sorta ruins the whole point of root/nuke/calm tactics. Just cause someone's able to take down a mob without getting hit doesn't mean it didn't take a lot of effort and risk, and that should be rewarded.

The main issue for FC wasn't even the stationary mobs. It was being able to hit mobs beyond their field of perception and them thus being unable to strike back. I've yet to see this happen even once, but I'm willing to take FC's word on the fact the problem exists. The easiest solution would still be to simply break target lock if it's unable to target you back.

Another solution (if any is needed) has to be found for stationary mobs. But since that isn't a big issue, and it was there from day one without anybody making a deal out of it, I'd say just ignore it for now and reinstate range with the above mentioned fix.

Angry Additional ideas, not that FC is even paying attention to this thread anymore

I still believe the 'exploiting' of stationary mobs is what caused the range nerf. As many in this thread have shown and enumerated, mobs could and would attack them or chase them from well outside 40m distance. Perception range? Aggro range? I don't buy that answer. If mobs were responding to attacks from outside 40m, then they could do it.

Miir, it wasn't an 'exploit'. It was very poor design. Stationary mobs are by definition targets for ranged attacks. Ever hear the old phrase "like shooting fish in a barrel?" FC should have thought out how XP would be rewarded for stationary mobs and fixed THAT, rather than just capping every players range to an absurd and totally unrealistic value of 40m.

NT's and Agents suffer most from this. Agents possibly more than NT's, since once the mob reaches us, we don't have a whole lot we can do except keep shooting and hope. NT's can still nuke on their first shot, and continue to nuke. Agents only get ONE aimed shot. And it rarely crits (for me anyway.) Fix range nerf.

Or at least give Agents a crit multiplier on that singular aimed shot we get to start the combat. Which only works if we are undetected by the mob. And we are sneaking. That would help the Agents overcome not having the sniping range they were designed around.

NT's can calm. Agents can't.

Bring back proper range for AO. Ask anyone who has USED a rifle. 40m cap? Where are you, in a fog bank? No, I see. You've got your heads buried in the sand. No wonder you can't see.

Disgruntledly,
    • Lvl48 Agent on RK1
    • 3D Graphics Programmer IRL
    • FORMER Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Programmer & Platform Manager (ERDAS, Inc.)

Agents have root to use for escaping. Never played an agent so dunno if they get calm type nanos at some point or not.

Angry *bump*

BRING BACK RANGE!
    Cap at 79 if you must!
    *bump*
    ------------------------------------------
    "I do Not believe in these spooky actions at a distance"
    Albert Einstein

Agreed! *bumpitybump* *^_^*
    .:: Isocyanate Doc
    .:: Onigiri Eng
    .:: Myaku MP
    .:: Maitrize Misc
    .:: Moruhine. Pita. Kechi!

Originally posted by Mascot
    Agents have root to use for escaping. Never played an agent so dunno if they get calm type nanos at some point or not.
    We do, it's called Deaths Gaze. Have it, but cannot use it yet.
    Grupert
    RK1 L102 Agent

Post Long-winded analysis on Envisioned Board

For those that wish to read it, I have posted an rather lengthy analysis of the "Maximum Range" article on the Envisioned board:

Analysis of Maximum Range Nerf Explanation

It is technical and long. But you might find it interesting.

--------------------------

>mv flame* /dev/null

--------------------------
    • Lvl48 Agent on RK1
    • 3D Graphics Programmer IRL
    • FORMER Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Programmer & Platform Manager (ERDAS, Inc.)

Originally posted by Anisotropic

It's no rumor, Jim suggested that in order for agents to have the maxium range, they would LOWER the range of all the other non rifle guns.... some people misunderstood this but i sure didn't..

he means the cap at 40 will remain, and non rifles and so such would have LESS range then they do now, and then Spinning it to seem like agents now have super range <gets shovel out>

he said he would introduce more guns. . i get this feeling they are going to do something stupid like introduce Short range high power guns, while rifle stay at current power, basically forcing people to get the short ranged guns, instead of doing the right thing, and properly balancing mobs (at high end).
    if they "fix" the over equipping problems like they have mentioned, in other articles, they will HAVE to fix mob's as well, but if they Fix mobs, by introducing high powered low ranged guns, they are shooting themselves in the foot again
    *cough*Chem Mauusers*cough*

Talking Yupp... we got the "Gaze"...

Originally posted by Grupert

We do, it's called Deaths Gaze. Have it, but cannot use it yet.
    Grupert
    RK1 L102 Agent
    and it requires a meager 662 Psy Mod (means you can't quite cast it at lvl 20)... has a very short casting time of only 2.3 sec, with the lengthy duration of a brethtaking *gasp* 4.53 secs :-D

Something to envy for sure :-)

Just don't attempt to wait for a recharge.

(Sorry 'bout the sarcasm, Grupert... not aimed at you. I just find that NF so bloody irritating... just like Face Graft and our DoT's) :-D
    Buford Hitokage Matt

Explorer 73% | Socializer 66% | Achiever 33% | Killer 26%
    -

Don't fear the night...
    fear the ones hiding in it.
    -

"Jesus is coming - Look busy"
    -

"Im not Uber. Im your common joe. Im level 178 and untitled. I never had a title and I never really cared whether I got one. All I really wanted was to have fun, learn new stuff and put my creativity to some use." - PhiliosPhreak

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234