Thread: New uses of old stuff on RK

New uses of old stuff on RK

Continued from http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=608617
    specifically from http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...58&postcount=9

Quote Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
    Great ideas. Quest lines and camps would be nice additions to these vacant slabs of concrete! What about making them areas like parks with whom pahs and a few grid entry/exits. Interactive buildings. Lets get people back out into the wilderness! Just thinking out loud.
    I know that I am opening a can of worms and there is no chance that this will be implemented in the near future (all work goes into the new gfx engine first before any new stuff comes to RK).

I would not put whom-pahs or grid exits in those areas because they should be far away from civilization.

The point is to give people an incentive to GO THERE in the first place and STAY THERE for prolonged periods of time. At the moment there are only "mission hubs" on AO. People always come back to Borealis or Old Athen and then goes off to another mission.

Example:
    There is a daily mission to kill mobs around a camp in Wailing Wastes (maybe only available for neutrals or clan). Basically, you travel to WW by whom-pah and run east to that big crater. Kill 5 of these, 5 of those, rinse, repeat, get partial updates, and thus collect a huge amount of xp after you've killed all of them. You don't have to go back to the mission agency!

Which means: you are still in the area after you've finished your daily mission!
    So, why do you want to leave?

What if there were a follow-up mission which let you explore the crash site just a bit to the north of the crater? Why not visit the next camp to the north of that? What's going on in the Sentinel's base in the north-east of WW? How about a chat with Ergo in the south-west? (How many people know that there IS an Ergo here? How many people know about the items they found in the subway?) Can I explore the guard houses somehow?

There are a lot of dynabosses in WW (lvl 50-90). But it is not really possible to level up with mobs because there are too few of them around or too many of them in one place (and social too).

Missions (and mission chains, like in TSW) could give those areas a new purpose.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Yes!

Rubi-ka is a huuuuge place of which only a few percent is actually used actively for game play, which has always made me kinda sad.

Quest giving NPC's that wander the plains, maybe even handing out missions akin to the daily missions and so on would make for a compelling reason to actually get around exploring Rubi-ka.

Quest chains as you mention would be a great tool to make new and old(er) players alike more familiar with interesting places, different mobs, Dyna camps and so on.

Get a mission here, bring reward to an NPC there, who directs you to another NPC... so on and so forth. Depending on player level these NPC's could mention different places of interest as well as quests and NPC's. A player of level 20 might get some info about ToTW, while a lvl 140 player could hear about Inner Sanctum.

The possibilities are endless!
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Bump More player experience is needed. It also teaches you how to play you're profession better if you don't get power leveled all the way.

Might want to check out ao froobs, they have plenty of info on things to do on rk.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Might want to check out ao froobs, they have plenty of info on things to do on rk.
    The point of this thread is not to find things to do on RK but to enhance RK and give old stuff a new use. When I follow the info on aofroobs I can see only stuff that is already implemented in the game.

My ideas derive from my experience in TSW and pen and paper role playing games.

TSW got rid of the so called "mission hub", i.e., the place where you get mission AND run back to tell the mission NPC that you've done it.

In TSW you get a mission and when you've finished it you call your agency with your mobile and get your reward. BUT, you'll find ohter missions near the place where you have finshed the first mission! You don't have to run back. Depending on which of the new missions you chose you'll end up in a different area, find the next mission, etc.

This mission chain will lead you around the whole area and eventually back "to civilization", e.g., a place with major NPCs.

Just think about a streamlined Scheol quest.

No, honestly. Think about it!

You start with the mission from Dr. Jones in the south of Scheol. Find some beits. Kill some beits. But instead of running BACK to Dr. Jones you run north to get the Old Beit Bones. And after you've found them you give them directly to Technologist Frank Jobin who is conveniently located near the place where you found the bones instead of running south to Dr. Jones and back north.

There is also no need to spawn TWO pocket bosses at two DIFFERENT incarnators. Just let us spawn one boss at the west incarnator and go to Dr. Hestyia afterwards (instead of running back north and south again).

The point is to let the quest lead you through the whole playfield and give you something to do IN THE AREA where you ARE right NOW instead of sending you back and forth between two places.

Now imagine that you go to Newland Desert and talk to Stolt Jensenberg. He tells you about his troubles with poisoned waterholes. You follow his hints (aka your map and mission marker) and come to the small oasis to the south of the Whom-Pahs. You don't have to kill the Rhinomen on the way if you don't like but it doesn't hurt. At the oasis you investigate, try not to come to close to the dynamob because you are still low level (besides, you haven't seen dynamobs before at your level, have you? )

Your investigation leads you to the second oasis further south-east (the green one). This one IS poisened! Maybe the scorpoids in this area have something to do with it (there is a Scorpoid Poison in the AO database already). Maybe not but you've found hints about the activity of corrupt guards that lead you to the Guard Post in the south-east.

And so on and so on. After you've disabled the guards you might get a follow-up misison that leads you to the second guard post in the north-east. There is also another oasis over there, this time with Rhinomen.

What else is there in this zone? Another Rhinoman camp, a crash site, some nice buildings near the old AI city plots in the north-west, and even a complete hidden valley with Rhinomen!

If the mobs were adjusted a bit and those missions created you could level up in Newland Desert from lvl 20 to 30 easily and WITHOUT any grind or repeated content!
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

I really like your suggestions Alfora, and you are touching some really important subjects. Anarchy's quests constantly asking you to return to somewhere before, after and in between quest objectives is the largest contributor to many quests feeling boring and tedious. Just think of the Garden quests for instance, so much time is spent running back and forth and talking.

ok your talking about guild wars 2 here and new generation mmo were you just have to click on follow...
    they tried to make something like that on nooob island but the old game mechanic seem to make it hard to implement such thing.
    I not too sure why exactly.
    I think if I had to guess that it is the fresh code to integrate the old code that just seem to be hard to make it fit properly...
    like on that daily mish you have to hide inside a box remember? b_b
    I remember seeing obvious the code mechanic was clearly going way out of its capacity even if the idea behind it was somewhat simple.
    you can notice lots of imperfection showing how hard it is to make even a npc move on a specific moment.
    my point is that they just had to make it right before lunch.
    now all we can expect is bone throwing from time to time.
    take care man
    Last edited by algoreith; Dec 13th, 2013 at 14:17:17.
    In the subway goes the keepers

I love this idea!
    It's the main reason why I dislike daily missions and quests in AO. "Return to xx to get your reward".. It's super annoying - especially at lower levels when you have no rs whatsoever.

It really takes some effort for me to get myself up every day to do a 5minute thing as collecting alien plants and then be bored again. It's like starting from scratch every single time. With a continuing quest like you suggested it would be possible to just log out wherever you are and resume when you're back. It might be you won't see OA/Bore/Rome/Whatevercity for a couple days with that character.

Also, if this was added to several playfields, there wouldn't be any repetition at all. With your little crat you might go to Newland desert from 20-30 and with your little Fix you might be somewhere in Tir at the same lvl range etc pp.

So, .. absolutely loving this idea. I want it now!

Quote Originally Posted by algoreith View Post
    ok your talking about guild wars 2 here and new generation mmo were you just have to click on follow...
    they tried to make something like that on nooob island but the old game mechanic seem to make it hard to implement such thing.
    I don't know what you mean with "click on follow".

I also don't think that it is hard to implement such a thing. At the moment there already ARE a number of (daily) missions where you DON'T have to run back to the agency to get your reward.

There are also a number of quest lines where you get the next mission after you've talked to an NPC.

I mean, these ideas are nothing new and the mechanics behind them are also not new.

• talk to NPC A
    • move to an area
    • kill mobs, collect items, click on items
    • DON'T run BACK to NPC A (as in Scheol) but move forward to NPC B
    • talk to NPC B, give mission item to NPC B, done