Thread: NT Frequently Asked Questions

NT Frequently Asked Questions

I decided to comply a small Questions and Answers about the NT profession, for those who recently started, or plan to start an NT toon.
    Also I hope this is read by the NT hater trolls out there, revealing some misconceptions about this profession.

Any more Q&A article I have forgotten to add is welcome.

General

1) Q: I have an advy/keeper/ma/enforcer/soldier and I want to make an NT toon. Is it wise?
    A: Of course! NT is a great profession, with unique abilities, but note, that NT playstyle is much different, more difficult than the above professions and you will be a potential target of NT haters.

2) Q: What is an NT hater?
    A: They are people who never had and never will have an NT (maybe only for kiting) and maintain the misconceptions dicussed later here.

3) Q: I want to make a pocket kiter. Any tips? Setups? What is the best level to kite efficiently but allow me the lowest possible levels to invite so I can reap better revenue?
    A: The NT community does not help in making of pocket kiters. You can certainly do that, but do not expect us to welcome you, if you do not play this profession because you like it.

4) Q: What is the community's opinion about kiting?
    A: We have no problems with it being an important part of the NT toolset, but we do have problems with those that abuse it. Try to kite ethically without harassing other people or making a drama in Elysium. Try not to be greedy, accept the tips, but do not enforce it.

6) Q: I'm looking for some decent pvp setups. Where can I find one?
    A: For TL5, check mine which is a slightly cheaper setup. If you can afford better equip, check Racscane or Wiktorja
    For TL7, you can grab some ideas from Mastablasta, Najade or Graftmage.
    Remember: Setups alone will not make you uber. Do not copy setups if you do not know what you are doing.

7) Q: Why NTs whine about Grand Theft Humidity?
    A: Because NT is the one and only profession that (when using the setup currently supported by FC == cyberdeck) completely relies on nano. Protection comes from nano, debuffs come from nano, damage comes from nano. GTH strips NTs from nano, reducing it to zero in a very short time and keeps it zero through periodic drains and negative nanodelta (every nanodelta tick reduces nanopool instead of filling it). This makes every victim NT completely useless/defenceless for 1 minute, the duration of the drain.

8) Q: Does nano damage modifier affect damage dealing ShadowBreeds?
    A: Yes.

Misconceptions

1) Q: Do any of the above setups make me ubar?
    A: As was said above: No. There are many things that cannot be shown in an Auno setup but are vital to NTs. Experience with your profession is also very important.

2) Q: But I have LE nukes. That should be enough.
    A: NO!! LE nukes alone will not let you kill anybody. You will be killed quicker than you can cast them twice. Believe it or not.

3) Q: Tripple seems pretty OP?
    A: Firstly: it is called Triple. One "p". Secondly: triple is a good ending nuke, but apart from it it is good for nothing. It is very slow and if it does not kill the NT's opponent, usually the NT dies.

4) Q: An NT hit for full damage through my AMS!!! Sploit!!!
    A: No. LE nukes carry a 100% chance proc that reduces the target's reflects by 100%. That means that LE nukes go through any reflect shields.

5) Q: But NTs got non-piercable reflects!!!!
    A: Nanobot Shelters, Nanobot Guard and Nanobot Shielding are not reflects. They simply transfer a portion of the dmg to the target's nanopool, reducing it instead of hp.

6) Q: Aren't NTs created for kiting?
    A: It is a part of our toolset, but not a reason for our existence. NTs are not kite-machines.

7) Q: I possess the I-WIN BUTTON. Now I'm gonna kill everyone on BS?
    A: Low-hp toons, yes. Most probably. But if your setup is inferior to them, you still don't have a chance. Good enforcers/docs/etc you will NEVER kill with LE nukes (alone)

8) Q: Are we really unperkable?
    A: No. With extreme AAD/evade setup the amount of people that are able to perk you is greatly reduced. AR twink people will still hit/perk you so do not believe in godlike defence.

9) Q: NTs have damage-to-nano shields. But NTs' nanopool is endless. Isn't it OP by far?
    A: That's not true. Damage-to-nano shields suck our nano pretty quick and at lower levels even nuking sucks our nano greatly.

Perks

1) Q: How much NanoInit does the Flim Focus perk action (Ancient Matrix perkline) add?
    A: It adds the 10% of the IP cost of the next point in your NanoInit skill. If you need 500 IP to increase NanoInit by one point, Flim Focus will buff 50 NanoInit. Sounds weird and in fact, it is.

2) Q: Are damage dealing perks affected by nano damage modifiers?
    A: Most of them are not.
    Last edited by rimorsimon; Sep 17th, 2008 at 06:16:49.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Nanos

Note that some of the explanations are not based on my experiences but on others.

1) Q: How does Nanobot Shelter work?
    A: Nanobot Shelter, Greater Nanobot Shelter and Superior Nanobot Shelter are NOT reflects (see misconceptions part). They are the same nano line as reflects though, meaning you can't stack it with for example RRFE. But has nothing to do with reflects. Shelter absorbs a portion of the damage dealt on you (20%, 22% and 25% respectively) and transfers the damage to your nanopool. This means that if you got hit, you receive less damage, but your nanobots are drained with an amount that is depending on the absolute amount of damage it absorbs.
    This dependence is related to your breed.
    This table shows, by how much your nano will be drained, if Shelter absorbs 100 points of damage:
    Code:
    				Solitus/Opifex	Atrox	Nanomage

Nanobot Shelter			     130	 140	  120
    Greater Nanobot Shelter		     120	 130	  110
    Superior Nanobot Shelter	     115	 130	  100
    Nanobot Shelters (unlike reflects) reduce damage AFTER the 30% damage cap. This means that an NT with Shelter up will never be hit for capped, provided he/she has enough nano.

2) Q: How does Nanobot Guard/Shielding work?
    A: Nanobot Guard and Nanobot Shielding are almost the same, only that Nanobot Shielding gives 1000 nanoinit, adds 75 to all damage types (lol who cares), increases the cost of every nano by 55% and increases nano damage to 200% (meaning that all nukes will hit 2x as big). The damage modifier does not add more hits, but actually increases the amount of damage done by the initial nano. However, Nanobot Shielding can only be used every 30 minutes. Note, that using NBG locks out NBS for 15 minutes, but not itself. NBS locks out both NBS and NBG for 30 minutes. This means NBG can be used more often, as long as the NT has the nano.

Both NBG and NBS works the same as Nanobot Shelters, but with some differences in values. Both NBG and NBS converts damage to nano, but at a larger scale, depending on breed. The amount of nano sucked by absorbing damage is also breed-dependant.
    The following table shows what happens if you are hit with 100 points of damage.
    Code:
    			Solitus/Opifex	Atrox	Nanomage
    Damage absorbed		      85	 80	  90
    Amount of nano drained*	     149        160       135

*calculation: damage absorbed × breed modifier = nano drained
    breed modifiers:             1.75       2.00      1.50
    Both NBS and NBG lasts for 25 seconds. After this duration a nano comes in your NCU that drains your nanopool to zero and attempts to hold it at zero every 5 seconds, virtually disabling the NT during this period. NBG nano depletion lasts for 1 minute, after which NBG can be cast again (if the NT has been able to rebuild his/nano pool sufficiently). The NBS version of Nanobot Depletion lasts for 2 minutes, after which neither NBS or NBG can be cast for the next 30 minutes.

3) Q: How do layers work?
    A: Layers absorb the indicated value in the nano's description from each damage type. For example, Superior Fleeting Immunity absorbs 1334 damage from ALL damage types. This means that if you are hit with various damage types, the nano saves you from a total 10672 damage. If you are only hit with the same damage type, it only saves you from 1334 damage without recasting.
    Note that currently layers are calculated BEFORE 30% cap. That means, one AS from a rifle having projectile damage will nullify the absorb value for projectile damage, and you will still be hit for capped. Otherwise it would make extreme lowhp toons immortal.

4) Q: How does Nullity Sphere work?
    A: Nullity Sphere and Nullity Sphere MK II are REFLECTS. Both of them gives the caster 100% reflect to all damage types making the NT invulnerable to everything except those players/mobs that are capable to either hit through it (NTs' LE nukes) or reduce reflects (dynaboss mobs, or engineer nano Null Space Disruptor for example). NS1 has a 14 sec duration but a 6 sec recharge, which means that it protects for 14 seconds, but you can only cast nukes for 8 seconds. NS2 has 19s duration and 2s recharge, so the NT can cast nanos for 17 seconds under protection.
    Both programs prevent you from moving during protection.
    Both Nullity Spheres locks themselves (and each other) out for 1 minute.
    Both nanos activate Defensive Focus.

5) Q: What is Defensive Focus/Offensive Focus? Why NTs whine about it?
    A: Both Offensive and Defensive Focus are unremovable (even upon death) hostile nanos with 30 minutes duration. Offensive Focus appears in our NCUs when we cast LE nukes (including LE AoE nukes), Defensive Focus appears in our NCUs when we cast Nullity Sphere/Nullity Sphere MK II. Defensive Focus locks out ALL LE nukes for its duration while Offensive Focus locks out Nullity Spheres. You have to decide which would you want to use, because you cannot cast LE nukes under the protection of a Nullity Sphere. NTs whine about the long duration of the lockout, and that it renews anytime you use one of the nanos that trigger them. The long lockout time disables NTs to adapt to a changed environment.

6) Q: How do Alien DoTs work? How are they related to the Ancient Matrix perkline?
    A: A common misinterpretation of these nanos' description, that after training Ancient Matrix, it will tick for more damage. That is not true. AI DoTs always tick for the same damage (not even affected by damage modifiers), but they land an additional nuke that is depending on your AM level. Here's a comprehensive table which DoT does what. (Only minimum damage values are indcated)

Code:
    		Cellular Res. |	Poisoned Th. |	Frost Blades |	Magma Cover. |	Self Illumi.
    AM level	Nuke	Tick  |	Nuke	Tick |	Nuke	Tick |	Nuke	Tick |	Nuke	Tick

AM < 8		460	460	513	513	630	630	741	741	830	830
    AM8		920	460	1026	513	1260	630	1482	741	1660	830
    AM9		1380	460	1539	513	1890	630	2223	741	2490	830
    AM10		1840	460	2053	513	2520	630	2964	741	3220	830
    Last edited by rimorsimon; Sep 15th, 2008 at 08:21:13. Reason: Minor corrections

Devil Inside

But I Hev Tripple Button!
    since 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    FYI: Cola burns when it comes out your nose...I now know this because of you.

Q1 should be "Is this guide worth reading further?"

The answer should be "no".
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

looks like you are not keen on sarcasm...
    nevertheless, the misconceptions are unfortunately true

Devil Inside

unperkable? hell no

You might want to explain in detail how Nanobot Shelter, Guard and Shielding work. I saw, that there is no thread about it stickied yet, or in the "useful thread collection", and I know quite a large number of fellows who rolled a nt, got the nanos and know nothing of them. Its rather sad if a 210ish NT is asking you if he should use shelter or shielding...

And what the offensive and defensive focus are about. That seems to confuse a lot of folks as well.

keep it up, dont let nanofox get you down. s/he is just bitter
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sannz View Post
    unperkable? hell no
    There are very few people that can perk me on my NT unless they use MR or focus on an AR build.

So yeah unperkable isn't something so far fetched.
    Dark Front
    (220/23) NM Nanotechnician Nukej00 · Orlyj00 - Solitus Doctor (220/20)
    .....(175/11) Opifex Soldier Alphaj00 · Emoj00 - Opifex Trader (165/14)
    .......(150/13) Opifex MA Baterj00 · Boinkj00 - Opifex Agent (31/2)

I put this into our list of Important NT Threads. list.

I did correct something though- Nanobot Shielding may have a 200% nano damage modifier, but that doesn't mean it adds that to the damage we already do for a total of 300%. It may be possible that as a result of certain caps associated with certain mobs, you could do more damage than expected, but it's the result of some other factor and not the mutiplier associated with NBS.

Perfect example-- when I use Death (Nanomage SB3) on Inferno Spirits, I do an AoE of 10,000 points of damage Technically, I should be doing at least 12,000 points of damage, with the various nano damage buffing items I have equipped... But if I use Nanobot Shielding first, it increases to 24,000 points of damage. That's more like a 240% difference, compared to the actual damage I do without NBS. Considering what I should be doing with all my nano damage buffing items, there must be some cap I'm hitting initially, which isn't calculated in when the damage is modified by NBS.

Oh and because I'm such a spelling nazi, I fixed a few other things I found
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

hehe your explanation has some mistakes

Nanomage omni sb hits for 8000 aoe. without any modifiers, you have 100% nanodamage. Not nanodamage modifier, just nanodamage. NBS overrides all nanodamage modifiers, and sets the modifier to 200%, meaning you will hit for 200% more and your total nanodamage output will be 300% (100+200 = 300). That's why you hit 24000 with NBS up (3 times as big as you originally would)(8*3 = 24).
    The reason why you are hitting for 10000 instead of 12k... i dunno

Someone pls try this out with Candycane

nevertheless, corrections are welcome

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by rimorsimon View Post
    hehe your explanation has some mistakes

Nanomage omni sb hits for 8000 aoe. without any modifiers, you have 100% nanodamage. Not nanodamage modifier, just nanodamage. NBS overrides all nanodamage modifiers, and sets the modifier to 200%, meaning you will hit for 200% more and your total nanodamage output will be 300% (100+200 = 300). That's why you hit 24000 with NBS up (3 times as big as you originally would)(8*3 = 24).
    The reason why you are hitting for 10000 instead of 12k... i dunno

Someone pls try this out with Candycane

nevertheless, corrections are welcome

Your math is flawed.

You are saying without damage mods you do 100% 'basic' nanodamage, that is right.

You say NBS overwrites other nanodamage mods and sets your nanodamage to 200%, that is right.

But that 100% and 200% don't get added together. The 200% includes the 100% 'basic' damage.
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Lightbulb

ahh its clear now!

Devil Inside

job well done
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

It's possible that another one of those "overrides" that Nanofox1 mentioned is affecting my SB3.... It wouldn't surprise me if there was a "built in" cap that limited the amount of damage I can do with "Death" no matter how much nano damage buffing I had... But even so, I also do a 24K AoE with Nanomage SB3 + Nanobot Shielding while in Pandemonium.
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

added the question that emerged in the 17.10 forum, namely that how much NI does Flim Focus add

thanks Masta for the info

edit: does nanodamage mods affect dd perks (eg. CoNC perks) as well?
    Last edited by rimorsimon; Sep 16th, 2008 at 21:30:11.

Devil Inside

nope, conc perks are not affected, however, some seem to be
    keep smiling

A very brief test says no.

I used NBS and followed through every damage perk I had, none of which had damage outside of it's typical range.

Now mods on the other hand could be handled differently than the NBS +Dam mods, but after 30 seconds, all signs point to no.
    Dark Front
    (220/23) NM Nanotechnician Nukej00 · Orlyj00 - Solitus Doctor (220/20)
    .....(175/11) Opifex Soldier Alphaj00 · Emoj00 - Opifex Trader (165/14)
    .......(150/13) Opifex MA Baterj00 · Boinkj00 - Opifex Agent (31/2)

thanks for the help

ps: omg just realized that i have been misspelling the word "environment" as "enviroment" since ive been writing things in English....
    thanks cris for being a "spelling nazi"

Devil Inside

2) Q: Are damage dealing perks affected by nano damage modifiers?
    A: It seems that they aren't.
    bot confinement seems to be affected by your nano damage modifier, nano feast, however, is not. So I guess you can't say for sure
    Techno "Calamite" Witch -- 220/22 soli crat
    Hbar -- 220/28 nano NT
    Electropanic -- 170/17 opi NT
    Insanenomore - 174/17 soli engi
    Darksmile -- 220/21 nano enf
    Drifting -- 150/8 nano MP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    got more, but don't remember their names