Thread: City Controller and city alien raids

City Controller and city alien raids

Ever since I learnt how AI raids work in player cities (2005), I've felt that there's something wrong with that system - aliens only come to city when you disable cloak or when you fill CC at least to 50% (random attack chance increases). I think it should work instead like this:

City Controller point system

City Controller CRU bar will be changed from 0-100% to 0-100 000 points system. Each CRU adds the ql amount of points to the bar ie. 100% CRU adds 100 points to CC. This means that you need 1000 x 100% CRUs to fully fill the City Controller. By each day the CC uses 1000 points of CRU to keep the city cloak active ie. the CRUs work as "fuel". So full CC will last for about 3.3 months (100 days).

Alien threat level bar and random attacks

Now there will be 2nd bar in CC that shows the alien threat level on 0-100% scale. Aliens want to take out the player cities and for this purpose there are random attacks, so by each hour the threat level is increased by 1% which means that in 100hours (~4.25 days) random alien attack will occur. If city has no defenders when random attack occurs, the Hacker'Uris will do 10 000 points worth of damage to City Controller before they are called back to mothership ie. 10x more damage than city uses CRUs as "fuel" per day so it's important that random city attack is deflected by killing the aliens. First random attack reduces threat level to 50% (there's so many player cities for aliens to attack...), second to 75% and third to 90% and to 90% all random attacks from then on (if there's no defenders, wouldn't you increase the rate at which you attack the same target? That's what this system will do), which also means that city will get random attack every 10 hours.

Starting city raids

To reduce threat level back to 0% the city cloak system needs to be "rebooted" (ie. disabled) which takes an hour. During this time aliens will attack the city because city cloak is disabled ie. this is the same system as currently is for city alien raids. During raid the Hacker'Uris can only do max 100 points of damage to City Controller (it's in secure, controlled reboot sequence). The cloak gets re-enabled automatcially after the 1 hour downtime and can be disabled again after 1h it was re-enabled (like it's now). One alien city raid per 4 days is enough to keep the random attacks from happening.

Alien orbital bombardments and destroyed buildings

CRU amount in City Controller does not affect how often the random attacks will occur but if city had full City Controller (100 000 points) and gets 10 random attacks so that the CC's "fuel" is reduced to 0 your organization's city cloak will be disabled and the city will be open for alien orbital bombardments/strikes - these bombardments will have a chance to destroy city buildings. They would destroy the buildings in certain order (less valuable first) and if the last building, ie. HQ is destroyed, your org will loose the city. Note that since CRUs no longer increase the random attack chance, you can safely dump all your CRUs to City Controller (or sell to others who need them).

CRU demand and availability

Because CRU demand would increase a lot, perhaps the CRU missions should be adjusted (yes, there's such missions, for clans the npc is at Tir whompa) and give QL 100 CRU as mission reward. Some new CRUs could be added to Trader/Fixer shops (prices adjusted too) ie. fixer shop could sell QL 50-75 CRUs and Trader shop QL 65-85 CRUs. Since CRUs aren't needed anymore for starting the raid, those shops could sell them. Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics Upgrade could be changed to QL 200 so it would fill up 200 points to City Controller (drops in all alien sectors) which means that 5 of these items is enough for CC's daily need. If lots of CRUs are bought from shops, it also acts as a new credits sink... Probably more people would also raid alien sectors or team RK missions... So drop rate should be adjusted as well for Intrusion/CRU items.

Numbers used in this suggestion are just example values and should be adjusted so that it's not too difficult to keep the City Controller filled and not too easy either. For 10 or so org members it should be pretty simple task to keep the city controller filled.
    [220/30/70] Fixer, [199/24] Shade, [150/20] Trader, [150/19] Crat, [136] Fixer, [71/6]Agent, [60/6]Enforcer + bunch of other alts

sounds nice so far.

but destroyed buildings uh i don´t know, but it would add a new component and a reason to fight them back.

If it would be changed this way i would welcome a warning system of random attacks, like 1 hour before a chat message that an alien fleet is incoming to the sector and the city could be one of the targets, so people can finish what they are doing at the moment and go to the city to defend it.

I liked it until the destroyed buildings part

If it ran like that then you would lose your city in less then 2 weeks of being inactive
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

Thumbs up

Damn, the OP makes perfect sense from all aspects. I also was always bothered by AI actually meaning "alien invitation", but changing it to this mechanic sounds just spot on to me. Especially the "need to reboot the CC" idea. The numbers might need some tweaking, but as a concept, I like this.
    Even with the part about the city getting potentially demolished by alien attacks... Which only can happen if no one cares to do a single raid for at least four days (or is it even more, since the bombardment only starts when the CC is drained by subsequent random attacks first, which only start after 4 days without raids?).

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisfix View Post

If it ran like that then you would lose your city in less then 2 weeks of being inactive
    ... if you are the only actual player in a farming org. Two birds with one stone. Even better.
    Last edited by Honorbound; Jun 22nd, 2010 at 21:39:31.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I think the aliens should just keep reducing the CC. If it sits on 0 long enough aliens will keep spawning or not ... but with that 0 CC you can have a timer.

This mechanic could be used to open up the city plot to other orgs. It shows an inactive or dead org with a big bank.

CRU would have a value again and fr00bs (future subscribers) might have some credits to equip after they make the change.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

Um, you want every org to have to pour 10 ICE into the CC every day, and if the aliens just happen to arrive in the middle of the night and nobody's online, whoops, there goes 100 ICEs?

Yeah, that'll make nobody want to own a city.

Is the intention here to make people cluster up into fewer, larger orgs?
    Famous "Azzamis" Pants -- 220/30/68 Soldier -- Retired

CosmicOsmo #465 -- N.A. Starcraft 2 -- sc2ranks
    Daesis Wrack -- EVE Online -- killboard

This is one of those "Let's make simple things much more complicated because I'm bored" threads. City raid mechanics are fine the way they are now, so no, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JenShay
    CRU would have a value again and fr00bs (future subscribers) might have some credits to equip after they make the change.
    Most of the CRU on the market comes as (backpacks of) ICE from S10, froobs have nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisfix View Post

I think I mentioned in 1st post that there would be a chance that buildings get destroyed - the chance could be a real low. Or the buildings could have Structural Hitpoints which decreases during each bombardment. The values should be tweaked so that you won't loose the city in 2 weeks - but there would be certain risk to loose buildings if you fail to keep the city controller active. So the question is how long it takes from aliens to destroy a single player city... couple months, half a year? The numbers I used above were just put there to descbribe this idea - the real values would have to be carefully chosen if anything like this gets ever implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Azza View Post
    Um, you want every org to have to pour 10 ICE into the CC every day, and if the aliens just happen to arrive in the middle of the night and nobody's online, whoops, there goes 100 ICEs?

Yeah, that'll make nobody want to own a city.

Is the intention here to make people cluster up into fewer, larger orgs?
    Again, the values I used where just there to describe the idea. How would you set the point amount for CC and how much each CRU would fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by drops View Post
    This is one of those "Let's make simple things much more complicated because I'm bored" threads. City raid mechanics are fine the way they are now, so no, thanks.

Most of the CRU on the market comes as (backpacks of) ICE from S10, froobs have nothing to do with it.
    Froobs can loot them from RK team missions or do the CRU missions which has guaranteed CRU reward - and I suggested changes to these as well in the 1st post.

I'm not bored I just think that game elements that work in non-logical way should be "fixed" or improved. And there should be certain risks in owning property in game world. Above idea isn't that complex, city raids would function the same way as now and you could add all your CRUs to CC without fear of triggering random attack (going above 50% fill amount) - it's simpler with this idea! Sure you would have to pay attention that there's some CRU in CC but that's how it's even now, you must have at least 10% CRU in CC or you city bonuses go offline. The change that CC must be reboteed would make people do more city raids - I've seen the cities go unused for weeks or for months due to org members being bit "lazy at organizing raids". About the reboot interval, I used 1% increase per 1 hour as example, it could be 1% per 2hours so then the reboot would have to be done once per 8.5 days - one raid per week! Surely any org can make one raid per week... not that difficult to solo city raid either.
    [220/30/70] Fixer, [199/24] Shade, [150/20] Trader, [150/19] Crat, [136] Fixer, [71/6]Agent, [60/6]Enforcer + bunch of other alts

Quote Originally Posted by Galilei
    I'm not bored I just think that game elements that work in non-logical way should be "fixed" or improved. And there should be certain risks in owning property in game world.
    You think city raid mechanics are non-logical. That doesn't make them non-logical. How about backpacks? I think buying them is too easy. They should be removed from the shops. You should only be able to get one after finishing a 4 hours long quest. And owning one should cost you 200m/day. Yeah. Because they work in a non-logical way.
    /sarcasm off

Eating 1 ICE a day, stocked up with 10 ICE max and disabling org advantages if it gets to 0 (and maybe disabling gms shop) might be reasonable.

Random raids depending on the % that the CC is full, a undefended raid draining at most 1 ICE worth.

Random raid can happen at (100 - CC/5)% per day, if its a -% then no random raids are possible. (CC = amount of cru in CC, max of 1000 or 10 ICE)

Given that it would be 5 days before random raids were possible, in very worst case scenario it would take 2.5 days more to be completely dry. So just over a week from 1000 to 0.

For active organizations it means very little extra work, for organizations that are somewhat idle it isn't to bad, and for organizations with no one maintaining during that period they lose the benefits of org and gms shop.

But the real question is, why bother making this change. The game needs much more urgent changes in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by drops View Post
    You think city raid mechanics are non-logical. That doesn't make them non-logical. How about backpacks? I think buying them is too easy. They should be removed from the shops. You should only be able to get one after finishing a 4 hours long quest. And owning one should cost you 200m/day. Yeah. Because they work in a non-logical way.
    /sarcasm off
    A little overboard there...
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet