Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director – March 2008

Letter from the Game Director – March 2008

With the 17.8 update now live and being enjoyed across the dimensions I thought it would be a good time to tell you all a little more about how we are feeling about the recent changes and what we have in the works here for upcoming content.

Firstly I just want to say a few words on the latest game update and take the opportunity to answer a few questions. We are very pleased to see the positive reaction to the new PVP systems we introduced in 17.8. It is always a little bit of an anxious time when you overhaul a major part of the game and we have been delighted to see players enjoying the new dueling system as well as taking part in more group based PVP. It has always been our aim to encourage people to explore group tactics and learnt to work together in mass PVP scenarios and I’m very happy to observe that already people are starting to put together new strategies and tactics for taking each other on.

Quite a few people have asked if the new systems will support PVP based rewards. As I mentioned last time out this is something that is on the drawing board as it were. We will consider PVP based rewards associated with either your ranks or possibly some other associated goal. We won’t be doing it in the short term however. We want to give the new systems some time to settle in and see if we need to make any further tweaks or changes before we add rewards into the mix.

Next up, I have received a few questions on why did we decide to include a duel mode when we don’t balance for one on one PVP? Well, mainly it was to try and provide something for everyone in the PVP update. While as we have said in the past there are indeed too many inherent imbalances between the professions to try and balance them all for one on one combat, we do recognize that there was an active community who enjoyed just challenging friends (and enemies!) to single combat.

So when we decided to look at the PVP system it seemed a logical extension to also include something for those people as well. It was I think a fun addition to the game that allows player to have another, safer PVP option and one that isn’t as open to anti-social behavior like ganking and trying to trick people into PVP. I think it’s a great thing to be able to offer options that cater for as many preferred game styles as possible, so the dueling system was a small addition that would make that kind of PVP more appealing and more fun. If we encourage those people who were previously put off this type of PVP due to the negative elements mentioned above then I think the system was more then worth it!

So what about the future?

The render engine upgrade is coming along nicely and we are still hoping that we will be able to launch it later this year. We are soon starting full testing on the engine itself, and will them move on to the upgrading of the visual effects that have to be reworked or converted for the new engine (Nano-casting effects and such like). This is a lengthy part of the process but the progress so far has been excellent and we will be sure to keep you all up to date as we progress.

In terms of game updates the current plan is that the new engine upgrade will be the 18.0 update, which will also hopefully have some great new booster content at the same time. We are working towards completing a playfield booster for high level players to launch around the same time as the engine. That might change however as we might not want one to hold back the other and vice versa so we really won’t be sure until we get the engine into full beta testing. That then brings us to what will come before the new engine in the form of the 17.9 update!

The 17.9 update will be a chance for us to add a lot of little additions we have wanted to do for some time and make some small tweaks, changes and fixes that have been lower on priority lists up till now. There will be some more changes to NPCs and quests on Rubi-Ka, including some that will point players to existing content and locations and flesh out the game world a little more as well as providing some more information about the current Dust Brigade storyline as you learn a little more about what they might be up to with their sudden interest in Xan technology. You should also find some new encounters out in the wilds of Rubi-Ka that might just be of interest. There will of course be the usual selection of fixes and changes to existing items and perks in the update.

We will have a full preview of the update in a few weeks time, and then hopefully have the update on the test-live dimension not long after that.

Please continue to keep the suggestions coming through your feedback mails and posts to the game suggestions forum. Many of the recent changes and features have come directly from your feedback and we are always on the lookout for the ideas that might work their way into the coming updates!

The main code feature we are currently working on is the addition of a true raid interface for the game. This will allow for up to six groups to be linked into one raid group that is considered a single entity and allows for its own chat channels, loot rules and visibility of members health and nano status. It’s currently in development and we haven’t slotted it into a specific update just yet. It might make the 17.9 update but we haven’t reached the testing stage with it yet so we will have to wait a little while before announcing which update it will be included in. This will also allow us to produce raid instanced playfields in the future just for the members of the raid and balanced for the numbers involved just as we have done with the single team instances.

So that’s a quick update on where we are at the moment. With the new engine and continued content updates I think it’s going to be another exciting year on Rubi-Ka! For those of you who celebrate it enjoy the Easter vacation and we will see you all on Rubi-Ka.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

I like the sounds of new Nano Effects with the new engine.
    And the raid interface/instances will be great.

Anything specific on that long-standing "to do" list that will make us smile Sil?

The future looks great Sil.

I think the fact that FC is actually going to the effort of creating a new game engine says alot about the company's commitment to supporting AO in the future.

Question about the raid interface - any idea how compatible it will be with Sector 42, where multiple (3) raid forces are necessary? On RK2 Siegie has done a superb job coordinating the loot system & multiple chat channels, but I'm sure it would be easier to get that Sector more active if the new raid interface supports it.

Will the new raid interface support omni/neut & clan/neut exclussive raids similar to how Pand & APF are currently run, or will global-mixed (i.e. clan/omni/neut mix) be the only option?

edit:

Meh, I don't want to clutter this thread with all my other raid interface concerns, so here's a separate thread on the issue:
    New raid interface: questions/comments/concerns

Last edited by Vlain; Mar 21st, 2008 at 18:19:18.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Heh, if FC keeps up with the speed it churns out patches, 18.0 could be as soon as just 11 weeks.*

Kinda scary how fast time flies.

* Based on the current six week patch cycle thats been in place since 17.0. Don't go starting rumours, dummies.

Great stuff both past and present!

Looking forward to all of it!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

"The main code feature we are currently working on is the addition of a true raid interface for the game"

So what we need it for Sil?? Sector 42 hardly moves tbh, and The Beast can be killed by 16-18 people.
    The Zerg raids of 80(?) players have perfected itself, I don't see what we need that spanking shiny new interface for?

Give us a raid that lasts more than 2 hours before it is beaten, and require more than 6 people instead.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

This sounds great and really promissing, here's to hoping the PR machine goes in to full steam once 18.0 hits test.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    "The main code feature we are currently working on is the addition of a true raid interface for the game"

So what we need it for Sil?? Sector 42 hardly moves tbh, and The Beast can be killed by 16-18 people.
    The Zerg raids of 80(?) players have perfected itself, I don't see what we need that spanking shiny new interface for?

Give us a raid that lasts more than 2 hours before it is beaten, and require more than 6 people instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sil
    We are working towards completing a playfield booster for high level players to launch around the same time as the engine.
    Fingers crossed!

It's sounding awesome like a possum, though
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Seeing how Org's are not needed in this game anymore, why don't FC make some Org instanced raids to go with that shiny interface?
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

So what we need it for Sil?? Sector 42 hardly moves tbh,
    Well S42 moves on RK2, and has a rather complicated 4 channel bot to do it with. Although some days the longest part is the raidleader sorting everyone in to teams before we start....

Theo
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.

Could we skip 17.9 and go straight to working on 18.0? and move 17.9 to 18.1

You know what's going to be really interesting though.

If the raid interface takes off (for institutionalised raids, I dont think so. Everyone would have a big stupid cry about their precious points.) with instutionalised raids.

Ie, raids that tend to have 80 people, but only need 36.

And then those 36 people use the new interface. And your presence at this raid is determined by merit, rather than just appearing with your hand out.

I didn't say good or bad. I think it would be interesting. Nothing more.

One thing that does concern me is the engine.

Pretty water aside, I know you folks are trying to boost performance for us here. But remember, perception is reality.

And the current perception is that every six week, Funcom gives us an encounter beaten within an hour, and a whole tonne of bugs. The more code heavy the patch, the more bugs we get. Doesnt matter if you have an ocean of reasonable excuses, all we see is the bugs.

If AO, with the new engine, does not function flawlessly in regards to dual-logging, you're going to have a serious problem on your hands. The worst thing about AO right now is having to tone down all your settings, no matter how good your gaming rig, in order to dual log. Because both clients want to use 99% of the processor, and will bicker amongst themselves bouncing from 55/44 to 44/55.

Water is great and all, but I'm going to go bananas if my dual logging (which is already crap beyond belief) is made even worse with a new engine.

And I'm sure I'm not alone.

Now clearly, with an enginey update that is so massive. There is going to be problems. But before there are problems, theres going to be a much more intensive bug sniffing period. When you're doing all that, please, for the love all that is good and holy, allocate some resources to really thoroughly testing this aspect of it.

It's so ridiculously important.

Everyone has a bank toon. And those who dont have a bank toon, have two real accounts. Even the froobies dual log. Everyone does it. And if it isnt totally perfect, or worst; even more crappy than now, there's going to be protests, fire and brimstone, maybe even some lynching of the minorities.

Don't forget the stonings and point blank head shots.

There will be blood.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Mar 21st, 2008 at 18:25:31.

Thanks for the update Sil.
    The raid force instance sounds iffy but i'll wait to get more info on that before judging. But glad to see a new Booster for playfields, i've really enjoyed those thus far.
    And the BIG thing i've been waiting on is the new engine! hope to see some screenies or more videos soon.
    Kamikaze "Kaitoujeanne" - 220/30/70 - Doctor
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.•`
    Ice "Shivaz" Crystal - Meta-Physicist
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆`.¸.•

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    You know what's going to be really interesting though.

If the raid interface takes off (for institutionalised raids, I dont think so. Everyone would have a big stupid cry about their precious points.) with instutionalised raids.

Ie, raids that tend to have 80 people, but only need 36.

And then those 36 people use the new interface. And your presence at this raid is determined by merit, rather than just appearing with your hand out.

I didn't say good or bad. I think it would be interesting. Nothing more.

Why would there be an end to raidsbots and points because of this?

cause raidbots were made due to AO's lack of a raid interface.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Sounds good Sil, I'm looking forward to all of this

It may take some time but once people figure out that a raid interface makes multi team raiding so much easier to coordinate and pull off then I bet you'll start seeing more smaller groups contest the bots. I see this as a huge boost to orgs and co-op raiding. People will realize that you don't need a zerg to raid pande and apf and that doing so with friends and orgmates will be more challenging, fun and rewarding. Initially, some people will dismiss it (especially those with a lot of time invested in their points) but things will change. Once that ball starts rolling, it will only gain momentum. Pointsbots will start losing loot and that will drive people away from them in a hurry.

Think about it, we could end up seeing multiple raidgroups actually contesting raid content instead of just grinding through it in a zerg until they have enough points for their turn to loot. It's going to be a lot of fun I think.

All the raid interface is said to do so far is allow teams to be linked. It has nothing to do with points or a chat bot etc. The current raid bots would not be affected and it would simply make it easier to link Damage Team 1 with Damage Team 2 and Tank Team and Target Team. It will have no affect on the raidbots, chicken littles.

Quote Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
    All the raid interface is said to do so far is allow teams to be linked. It has nothing to do with points or a chat bot etc. The current raid bots would not be affected and it would simply make it easier to link Damage Team 1 with Damage Team 2 and Tank Team and Target Team. It will have no affect on the raidbots, chicken littles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    This will allow for up to six groups to be linked into one raid group that is considered a single entity and allows for its own chat channels, loot rules and visibility of members health and nano status.
    So it will link chat and it sounds like there will be some sort of raid group loot rules added in. What that will mean exactly for loot remains to be seen but other than for the recording of raid points the need of current raid bots will reduced a good bit at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    cause raidbots were made due to AO's lack of a raid interface.
    Mhm but now we are at a point where alot of people actually think FC made the current raidbots, they work out real good, people get loot.
    No new raid interface is gonna change that, people won't stop !join because of a interface.
    Bots won't go out of business because of it, because the majority of the player base is dependent upon the bots to tell them when to assist and when to move.

That is what needs to be changed, peoples ways of thinking "How do I get a BoC?"
    A new interface will not do that.

Hey Sil, hopefully this is already in the plans, but if it's not....

Any chance of improving player character facial textures and maybe upping the facial mesh polygon count just a little?

Would be a shame with a new graphics engine but the same old "low rez" face look.
    I think you guys have some higher resolution player character facial textures laying around? So hopefully no need to remake them. Tweaking player's facial polygons might be a bit more work though...
    "AO is like the ugly duckling, slowly turning into a swan as time goes by."
    Lance Orbin aka Gridfan of GridStream Productions

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast