Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CoT Has Fallen...

In my mind, anything that reduces the amount of guards I have to keep track of is a good thing. Why, with this new development, I can strut around and do anything I want- and who's going to stop me? Nobody. Just think of the outrageous things I'll be able to pull off...*walks away giggling insanely*

I would just like to point out, that with the fall of the COT, OTRK is now legally back in control of 100% of the terraformed areas of Rubi-Ka. It only remains to be seen how long go's by before Omni-Pol, and Omni-AF are ordered to move into the north and enforce this.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Sol Banking Corp

Clans

We have fought the yoke of tyrranny for too long. We are a group of civilians being used to fight a corporate war. We cannot afford this war, nor are we trained well enough, nor do we want to use the same evil practices as omni tek.

The time has come for us to consider Asking for help of someone who can help us. Omni is not the only major company out there. Sol Banking Corp can stand against omni, and has been seeking for a place to land on this planet for a long time. We must consider if our ideals about individuality are greater than our need to remain alive. I propose we enter negotiations with Sol Banking Corp, Or Myiocom Genectics, or The Engergia Conglomerate or any number of major powers, maybe even one of the great feudal clans. That way we can have the backing we need. We can have a voice. We should ask if in exchange for backing, we can give them lands that are presently held by Omni.

We can negotiate a better deal. Instead of an extermination campain, omni would have to have a full out legal declared war. We would do better under the rules of war than the garbage rules we have right now.

The ICC has bungled our planet, and is not protecting us as they should. They are misguided idealists, greater than our former leaders. They are being manipulated by Omni, and have lost my trust. If they wanted to bring peace, the only way I would believe them is if they claimed the full planet for their control, not just clanner areas.

I for one want peace for me and my guild, my clan and my children. We want peace, but Omni wants war. We need more power to fight this battle, We should contact the major companies to find a corporate or feudal sponcer as an ally.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

False Hope

Animosity,

Although your plea is truly touching, your failure to grasp the dynamics of the situation, in light of both history and the present, is illustrated in the futility of your rallying cry.

The assumption implicit in your statements is that Sol Banking Clan (“SBC”) would be a golden saviour to your people; they would rid the planet of the dreaded Omni-Tek of Rubi-Ka (“OTRK”) and grant the Clans exclusive and all encompassing rights of title and possession over Rubi-Ka.

Foremost, what you fail to realize is that, for all intents and purposes, Sol Banking Clan IS currently on Rubi-Ka. As the principal supporters of the ICC resolution authorizing peacekeeper intervention, and the corporation on which OT’s allegations of favouritism and impropriety by the ICC were based, it is of little wonder that the peacekeepers currently stationed on Rubi-Ka were transported in SBC ships. These “peacekeepers” would certainly not be members of the OT corporate structure, as that would entail a severe conflict of interest and one to which SBC would undoubtedly and vehemently object. Furthermore, given OTRK’s objections to the arrival of these forces, you can be quite satisfied that the ICC is certainly not being “manipulated” by OT as you claim. It is far more likely that these forces are operating under the au****es of SBC.

Your greatest delusion, however, lies in your assumption that whichever corporation the Clans elicit as their “saviour” will indeed prove themselves as “saviours”. There is only one principal reason why the ICC and its constituent corporations are involved on Rubi-Ka: notum. The profound revenue stream garnished from this mineral’s refinement and sale is perhaps the most enviable commodity in the galaxy.

Granted, any “saviour” corporation would certainly rid the planet of OTRK if given the opportunity to do so. However, such corporation would certainly not do so out of sympathy or compassion for the cause of the Clans. You would rid the world of OTRK, only to replace your dreaded enemy with another of its kind. You would instead have Sol Banking Clan of Rubi-Ka or some similar monstrosity, whose only reason for existing on Rubi-Ka is notum. Given the chaotic and anarchist nature of the Clans, do you truly think they would consider such organization(s) as viable commercial partners? No, I think not.

All that the fulfillment of your pleas would accomplish is that you would find yourselves subservient to yet another master – one potentially less likely to negotiate than OTRK – with one key caveat: the Clans will be decimated in victory of any war against Omni-Tek. The “saviour” corporation would ensure it. After all, it is much easier to permanently and absolutely secure control of a resource-rich planet when its indigenous biological “resource” is in its weakest state.

The answer to the choice before you is clear: lay down your arms and take your place within Omni-Tek. Let us together rid the planet of these ICC scum.

Originally posted by lilnymph
    I would just like to point out, that with the fall of the COT, OTRK is now legally back in control of 100% of the terraformed areas of Rubi-Ka. It only remains to be seen how long go's by before Omni-Pol, and Omni-AF are ordered to move into the north and enforce this.
    Lucky for us the ICC has deployed troops throughout the north inorder to prevent exactly this situation. However, our lovely clan brothers seem to think the ICC is "invading" and so shoot their protectors.

It's painfully clear that the majority of the populace on Rubi-Ka is in dire need of a history lesson. SBC is arguably worse than Omni-Tek, based on what happened on Rubi-Ka durning the Corporate Wars. And regardless, what makes you think the rest of the hypercorprations would let any other corporation take control of Rubi-Ka? Nobody likes the fact that one corporation controls the whole planet, and they sure as hell would not allow another corporation to displace Omni-Tek and take over the planet for itself.

While I'm sure SBC wants a piece of the pie, they are not controlling the ICC by any stretch of the imagination. At least, if they are, there isn't any good proof. SBC may have supplied some of the ships to send over the Peacekeepers, but TSN supplied some as well, and Omni-Tek supplied the shuttles from geosync. The ICC is a group effort.

The situation really isn't that complicated. Omni-Tek is unable to contain a terrorist threat. The Clans are rapidly losing any semblance of structure. This implies an escalation of aggression which Omni-Tek is not doing enough to control. The ICC steps in to make sure things stay in check because they want to make sure the notum is not jeopardized.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Post Consequences.

If the criminals (All CoT Members) don't give themselves up to Omni-Tek willingly and accept their fate by the end of this week, we ARE coming into Tir and bringing an ass-whooping with us.
    So it has been stated, so it shall be.
    Alot of Omni-Tek is really getting fed up with these terrorists, their lies, and their betrayals and I thank the clans for empowering those of us in Omni command whom wish to obliterate them.

And as far as the DB is concerned, the CoT dug their own grave and now they have to suffer the consequence. If we go easy on them, undoubtedly they'll just end up screwing us over again.

They have to be made an example out of for all the wannabe-power-hungry clan leaders out there.

You screw Omni-Tek, you get screwed, and we ain't packing vaseline.

*stares out his office window and watches the troops march in unison*
    pres. Ted Shakkles Ganes
    -=Omni-AF=-

Listen, Ted.

This is the 'Story' forum. If you would, kindly stay on topic and keep your friggin Roleplaying where it belongs?

I've right mind to contact a forum admin to help police some of this trash that appears in every damn thread where people are trying to discuss the story.

At least if you want to Roleplay in the Story forum, use the [IC] tags, please?

Your posts do nothing but annoy those of us who realize that your in-game character is a loyal Omni-Tek fanatic. Keep it where it belongs please.

There are people here who are trying to discuss the Story and don't appreciate your childish and ill-conceived attempts at roleplaying disrupting otherwise fine discussions.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Luxxan

Lucky for us the ICC has deployed troops throughout the north inorder to prevent exactly this situation. However, our lovely clan brothers seem to think the ICC is "invading" and so shoot their protectors.
    The Main problem with these ICC "Peacekeepers" is where are they going to go now? Their original mandate was to protect the neutral areas. Legally there are now no neutral areas, as the Tir accord is no longer in effect, so, as far as I know, The legal document now in effect is the updated lease agreement. These ICC troops are there for Trespassing on Omni-Tek land, and there could be very good grounds for a renewed appeal, or even legal or military action by the Omni-Tek Corporation for breach of the lease agreement (as I am guess that landing troups in areas directly control by Omni-Tek is a breach of the lease).

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Omni-Tek must first declare the agreement void. They have the right to novate the terms to another party or parties if they see fit.

And voiding the agreement so soon after the Council has disappeared and the ICC moved in would make Omni-Tek look extremely bad in their eyes. Which is why everyone's stuck sitting on their hands. Is it just me, or does this seem too neat? The real question is, who's playing whom here?

Unfortunately Bionitrous, you are incorrect on both points. To clarify the legalese of the Tir Accord, it is most certainly null and void, notwithstanding that it has not been officially repudiated by Omni-Tek.

The Accord clearly states in paragraph 5 of the “General Framework Agreement” foreword that “[t]his agreement is between Omni-Tek and the Council ONLY” [emphasis added]. Given that the Council has effectively dissolved and is no longer recognized as the leader of the Clans, the counterparty to the Accord no longer exists. It follows that since an agreement obviously cannot be of force and effect with only one subsisting signatory, the Tir Accord is nullified.

Furthermore, as no Agreement exists, it cannot be assigned to a third party. Even if the Accord was of force and effect, it would still be unassignable, as no provisions within the various annexes declare that assignment is permitted.

To clarify an additional point, any rights granted to the Clans as a result of their affiliation with the Council pursuant to the Tir Accord do not transfer to the individual Clans upon termination of the agreement. Such contingency was not covered in any of the annexes. The continuance of Tir Accord rights could only be facilitated through new agreements, negotiated and entered into on a per diem basis between the respective individual Clans and Omni-Tek.

lilnymph is correct in her statement that the “legal document now in effect is the updated lease agreement”. The socio-legal dynamic now present on Rubi-Ka is akin to that prior to the establishment of the Council of Truth. For all intents and purposes, it is OT, the ICC, and a number of rebel factions. The “amendment” to which she eludes is the presence of peacekeepers (aside: their actual mandate was to “stabilize the political situation”. See Rubi-Ka Headline Services article “ICC Rejects Omni-Tek’s Formal Protest”. Still not quite sure why they would send soldiers and not diplomats to accomplish this mandate, though…)

What is keeping OT from officially reclaiming the north is the fear of another civil war. Given that the Clans are picking fights with all of the ICC personnel, how do you think they would react to Omni-Pol soldiers running around? One thing you can bet on with reasonable certainty is that, if OT hasn’t done so already, they at least have a plan to repossess the notum mines. Even the ICC wouldn’t object to that.

Well, you best get a lawyer. Couple points:
    "Given that the Council has effectively dissolved and is no longer recognized as the leader of the Clans, the counterparty to the Accord no longer exists. "

- I have yet to see the CoT declare themselves as dissolved. Unless Radiman and the Council say they are disbanding, then they still exist. What clans have removed themselves from the CoT? I saw Sentinels and Knights as I recall. That was it.

- It would take an petition to the ICC by Omni-Tek to declare the CoT 'irrelevent' to void the document if Radiman and friends will not dissolve the CoT. Just because they are on vacation underground does not mean they don't exist.

- The contract is indeed between CoT and O-T. I do not recall a clause stating that the contract is not specifically eligible for transfer to CoT successors or obvious replacement parties. Certain contracts have specific clauses prohibitting transfer. This situation would again require lawyers to work out in 30th century legal terms.

- It may not be in Omni-Tek's best interests to have to care for all the land that the Clan members have been caring for. Omni-Tek may very well be looking for other parties to assume the rights and duties formerly held by the CoT assuming they are declared 'dissolved' by ICC or in fact dissolve themselves.

- Omni-Tek has the right to negotiate with the individual Clans who hold influence over the various sectors. Assuming the CoT becomes de facto a non-player, O-T may decide to deal with the individual clans to secure peace and prosperity for all parties involved.

- Omni-Tek had best tread lightly when it comes to acting in violation of the Tir Accords. The ICC is on Rubi'Ka to make sure the situation is stable. The Tir Accords provided a reasonably stable Rubi'Ka. The CoT, while underground for unknown reasons, has yet to issue a statement regarding its position. Violations of the Tir Accord would not likely be looked at or spun in a favorable light by the ICC at the next emergency meeting of hyper corporations.

The list can go on and on. As long as we don't have players in this forum going 'haha! now you all die, dirty clanner!!11' it's all good and fun.

I think the main deal for us to find out is where the CoT members have gone and why. We know that several have gone underground and other Council members simply went back to their local headquarters.

Basically, we await Omni-Tek to act on this or not. We await the influential CoT members to leak a statement. We await detailed charges from O-T and name naming regarding those they seek.

It's almost drama.

You know, it would be quite a great player event if Omni-Pol were to release the names of the two Council employees sought for questioning, with a reward offer for information about their whereabouts. Funcom could provide an email address (like events@anarchy-online.com or something) in a web article detailing Omni-Pol's offer.

Then a pair of greenie characters could go 'on the run' in various Clan and Neutral cities and the Clan players who were aware of this and happened to spot them would be faced with quite the ethical and legal dilemma... and if they can confront the greenie it is a chance to RP with someone directly 'from the story.' These events characters would keep moving around, trying to avoid detection but obeying some restrictions on where they can hide and how they can travel. But they'd also intentionally get spotted a few times in public, hurrying from a whompa into Tir, or into Newland, or into the Mort desert from Hope, etc.

To turn in the suspects you'd email that address with who your character is and where you spotted them, the address serving as Omni-Pol's tip line. Web updates could be written up, "Former CoT secretary and alleged Dust Brigade supporter Joe Blow was reportedly sighted hurrying from the Hope whompa into the desert." And that would give people a place to go look, and get the story involvement going.
    Last edited by Jynne; Sep 24th, 2002 at 19:16:34.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

From a legal perspective, in order to repudiate a contract, a counterparty thereto need not be de jure dissolved (i.e., by declaring "itself" irrelevant"), so long as they fail the de facto test of reasonable control of confered benefit. The CoT has actually fallen, and this is an "indisputable fact" according to the most recent news article. To prove this point vis-a-vis your claim that the Council must delare itself irrelevant, consider this: if all Council delegates have been murdered or killed in coincidental freak accidents, then no one exists to declare the Council a non-entity de jure; it certainly can't exist perpetually, which is what would be the case in the event the delegates were too dead to declare otherwise (caveat: I know what you're thinking about the assumption of control ex post morte to an "underling", and you're right; but this is far beyond the scope of this amusing little debate ).

Who says the ICC has to cosign a petition nullifying the CoT's capacity as a negotiating entity? Assume that suddenly the suppression gas on the planet was replaced by omni-happy-gas, and everyone loved each other and joined OT, except the CoT. Would an entity which effectively comprised only 0.0001% of the population (how many delegates does it have? 16?) still be considered a viable legal entity to which the entitlement of the entire northern section of a planet prevailed?

As for the assignability of the Accord, you are correct in stating that no claus exists prohibiting such act. At the same time, the wording of the foreword does state that the Accord is between OT and the Council ONLY (reference not repeated). Thus, it would be a matter of arbitration for a court, or the ICC, to determine the capacity and degree to which the Accord can be assigned by the Council to a third party. Principles at North American Common law (which could be irrelevant in lovely Robu-Ka) automatically void the right to assign specifically because of the inclusion and context of the word "only".

I never once disputed the capacity of the individual Clans to negotiate with and enter into Accords with OT. Would they do so, though? They will be forced to do so unofficially, once the booster pack and its incipient land control features hit market .

I agree that we are waiting. And it is quite dramatic, but only because (with the exception of some of the more moronic rants) the boards have been thriving with intelligent debate. All we have to do now is get this in game! There's a power vacuum in Rubi-Ka now, and someone from the Clans will have to fill it sometime. Otherwise, OT will continue to sit on its hands (not wanting to draw ICC ire for any action and not wanting to risk degrading the situation further) and ICC peacekeepers will continue in their role as replacement security guards.

But there's still one factor which has thus far been neglected by most discussions: the Dust Brigade. Any thoughts?

I'm a firm believer that the Dust Brigade (at least it's current inception) is funded/supplied/trained/modified by Roland Drake under orders from 'the others' (those who gave the Omegas immortality.

I believe their function is simply to manipulate the political climate on Rubi'Ka suit the agenda of those who are pulling Roland Drake's strings.

I think their end-purpose is to instigate an 'end-game' Armageddon which is somehow 'needed' by these super beings. The timing and rules of the 'game' are yet to be laid out to us as the pieces on the game table. It's obvious that David Marlin lays in stasis in his spaceship waiting for some sort of 'trigger'. I feel that the Dusters will have a key part in making sure the games begin.

Interesting thought. One thing that's indisputable is that there is a great deal more occuring behind the scenes than anyone knows. The so-named "coup d'etat" from the most recent article, which was never even conceived of before, was undoubtedly part of the DB's manoeuvering.

Even though its end-game strategic intent may be clear, what do you think the DB will do in the meantime? The void of leadership among the Clan populace provides ample opportunity to wreak havoc on RK, but I don't see them acting as any kind of unifying force against OT. They indiscriminately targetted Clan, neut and OT alike. Perhaps we are slowly encroaching the brink of RK's fourth civil war?

Jynne - brilliant suggestion, but I don't think FC pays too much attention to what players suggest. It's that kind of involvement (which I think was eluded to in another forum) that players are dying for. I can just picture it now: thousands of OT, neut and Clan roaming the country side and running around cities searching desperately for fugitives...they could have NPCs around the world giving random tips, too. Then again, if they have gone into hiding with the DB, or whomever else, you could walk into a room and accidentally face hundreds of reds with really big guns and dirty nasty nanos That would actually be fun...

As for new article postings, FC seems to be having enough of a problem turning out one a week as updates to the story. What's worse, no matter how many times players in these forums state that they're pervasively lost because of the lack of updates, we don't get any guidance as to the why or the when.

Until then, and until the DB unleashes whatever it's been planning for, I'm going to grab a pint, find a nice cosy spot high above Rome, and sit, watch and wait. I'm sure something's bound to blow up at some point...

I give them a little leeway on article publishing around patch time. I know around my office, when we've got a major install going in a lot of other work gets put on hold until we have everything up, running, and confirmed to be working as designed. It never does work entirely right the first time, so it usually takes a few days to a full week to truly finish a large install to our production system.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't expect heavy story activity through any channels until the patch-to-fix-the-patch is applied.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Originally posted by Alamexis
    lilnymph is correct in her statement that the “legal document now in effect is the updated lease agreement”. The socio-legal dynamic now present on Rubi-Ka is akin to that prior to the establishment of the Council of Truth. For all intents and purposes, it is OT, the ICC, and a number of rebel factions. The “amendment” to which she eludes is the presence of peacekeepers (aside: their actual mandate was to “stabilize the political situation”. See Rubi-Ka Headline Services article “ICC Rejects Omni-Tek’s Formal Protest”. Still not quite sure why they would send soldiers and not diplomats to accomplish this mandate, though…)
    I was actually refering to the reduced lease following the corporate wars, as I hadn't realised that the peacekeepers actually altered the lease in any way ( I thought it was a seperate resolution, made to enforce the Tir accord). However, I would also say even if the Peacekeepers where part of the altered lease, OT would have a case for having them sent away if their reason for being there is to stabilise the political situation, as there is now only 1 legal political force on Rubi-Ka (Omni-Tek) so the political situation must be pretty stable

Also Omni-Tek has stated that it will not allow peacekeepers into Land controlled by OT. As, in my view of the legal situation, this now includes the entire of the terraformed areas, I would think the ICC's position would be getting a little hairy, legally. I would think that somewhere in the ICC constituion was something against landing troops on a legally leased corporate territory. I think it is usually called invasion if the governing body (in this case OT) doesnt want you there. So from one point of the view, the ICC is now invading a legally leased and run OT Corporate Colony.

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Cool

Well, as far as I know, the Council of Truth disapeared, but since no one knows what happened, it cannot be considered as dissolved... There, I join Bionitrous... Bring me the dead bodies of Radiman and others, I mean the permanent dead bodies, or a proclamation from the council itself, and I'll give up. Now here is a little history lesson, gentlemen...
    On Earth, in the 2th century, there was a war in a little european country... People and govcernment flew away, and thus there was no possibility to declare he war ended. The land was occuped, but when the war ended the people and their governors came back, and thus the war was never lost...
    Yeah, Radiman and others are hiding. With ICC peacekeepers and omnipol around, better hide. Remember that Omni tek, completely breaking the laws here, does have permanent death weapons. They rarely use it, but who knows...
    My point here is that a government that you cant' reach is not an inexistant government. The interesting thing is that Omni tek is legally FORCED to wait for the council to move. I have to say that any omni entering the clan territories does it in violation of the Tir Treaty, but it seems that no one cares, even the peacekeepers...
    He never knew that it was impossible, so he made it...

Ok, lets put it this way. There is a treaty between OT and COT. The COT has disappeared. What is to stop OT moving troops up? the only legal thing is the Tir Accord. Now if OT did move troops who would appeal, under the Tir accord, since the COT Truth is no more? no one. Also, who is up holding the COT's side of the Tir Accord at the moment? No one. Therefore the Tir accord is null and void, as it has been broken by the council of truth (by disappearing and not leaving a recognised body behind to take over its resonsibilities).

By the way, in this discussion I am neutral, I am just saying things the way I see them.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast