Thread: Watchmen - The Movie

Hm. Super-silly costumes (tho I admit doing a little "HELLO!" at the chick with the here's-what-sells outfit on), but the movie looks very fun, lots of eye candy. Director's sticking to his guns on the cinematic style of 300. I'll wait for DVD, but it'll probably be worth a purchase.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Ok.. maybe you're not familiar with the title....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

Not your garden variety superhero story.. This one is the only graphic novel ever to win a Hugo award in amost 100 years...

PS: that was the actress who played Xena
    Last edited by Xaun; Jul 27th, 2008 at 01:01:01.

I'm not a big comic book guy, but I'm sure it's a powerhouse. Regardless, my familiarity with the title wouldn't make the costumes less silly-looking or the cinematography less 300-ish. But I'm not saying it's going to be a bad movie. Quite the contrary, I'm sure it'll be pretty durn cool. I'm just very picky about what I bother dropping theater-money on, and this might not make it (unless I get free tix through work, of course) :P
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Wacthmen is a good read and was highly influential, but I think there is a tendenccy of the fans to overstate it's merits. Just becasue it has more sex and violence does actually make the comic any more worthy than classic Stan Lee & Jack Kirby books. And an argument can made that if the author really wanted to talk about serious topics ****, introducing costumed crimefighters and nuclear-powered superheroes is not a great starting point.

Ultimatley it still a trashy comic book. Better than most trashy comic books, but I would not say its in a league of its own.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabblez View Post
    Wacthmen is a good read and was highly influential, but I think there is a tendenccy of the fans to overstate it's merits. Just becasue it has more sex and violence does actually make the comic any more worthy than classic Stan Lee & Jack Kirby books. And an argument can made that if the author really wanted to talk about serious topics ****, introducing costumed crimefighters and nuclear-powered superheroes is not a great starting point.

Ultimatley it still a trashy comic book. Better than most trashy comic books, but I would not say its in a league of its own.
    o.O?? Trashy comic book.. ? LOL.. it deals with the failures of the archetype superheroes.. hardly comparable to anything ever produced by Stan Lee or Jack Kirby..

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. As far as this being in a league of it's own.. name me another comic/graphic novel to win a hugo award..

This story is more akin to a novel than that of a comic..

The likes of a few are what determine awards, that doesn't make anything nessecarily better or worse in the eyes of other people that might not agree with the people that give out the awards.

Its like critics. Some people listen, some don't care.

well i thought it was one of the better comics i've read also and I was highly skeptical when my friend told me to read it so long ago. I just hope the movie can do it justice, it might end up having to be 3 hours long to do so but I wont mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

I remember seeing the preview for this when I went to see The Dark Knight-about half the theater started cracking up. Just can't take it seriously when it's all epic and 300-looking with comic book heroes =/
    ~~
    RK2 Guernica - 220 (18) Mp
    RK2 Taotou - 180 (12) Doc
    + Assorted old toons I don't play anymore
    ~~
    ╞╤╧╪♥Gue♥ ╪╧╤╡
    [Vantura]: guerni can I get ssome loving
    To [Vantura]: I'm sorry, but you're clan. I'm omni. It would never work. I'm high maintenance. I need towers above TL 4. And none of those gay animal hats you guys wear.

Yet you can with the dark knight?
    I am the baron.

I saw the preview today @ Dark Knight. All I can say is:

1) It looks like they're getting Watchmen right ... in which case it will destroy similar movies, costumes or not.

2) I'm kicking myself in the ass as I type once AGAIN for being so broke and poor in '91 that I had to sell off my comic collection. I had first runs of Watchmen, Dark Knight (though it wasn't the same story as the movie), all the X-men that covered the first Phoenix saga, some TMNT (not #1 though) and Fish Police #1. I wouldn't be rich but I would be happier if I still had them

3) Spirit? That's one I'll be missing. I hated Sin City and Spirit looks to be much much more like Sin City than Watchmen will be like 300. Besides, 300 rocked.

PS. Dark Knight? Worth it.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Hm. Super-silly costumes (tho I admit doing a little "HELLO!" at the chick with the here's-what-sells outfit on), but the movie looks very fun, lots of eye candy. Director's sticking to his guns on the cinematic style of 300. I'll wait for DVD, but it'll probably be worth a purchase.
    Costumes are perfect!
    Taken right outta the comic.