Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Updated AO engine movie

Very very nice Sil and Co.

I assume that we'll eventually see more bits of it trickle in throughout the coming time before it is released on live?

Edit: After looking at it again, and yes I know its alpha rendering so I won't be too harsh about it .

With the water looking all pretty, as well as some grass areas, I assume that everything will receive a face lift(buildings, player models, armor/weapons)?
    Last edited by Spartanx9; Jan 20th, 2008 at 00:03:19.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Quick question: what would be the minimum reqs to run that properly?
    Just for those of us who don't have a high end machine...
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Spellseeker - Nanotechnician
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Socializer 80%, Explorer 53%, Achiever 53%, Killer 13%

Some questions..

First off I have to commend Funcom for showing such interest and hard work in keeping our favorite game "Still Alive" and constantly improving!

I have a few observations and questions about this trailer and new engine:

The skies are completely different than the ones currently in the live version of the game. They look like static skyboxes actually... but: am I wrong and is this an actual dynamic sky system? If so, I am amazed and very excited about it. If not, will AO be changing to using static textures for skies or were textures placed in the trailer mainly for dramatic effect, and those will not be in the final version?

Secondly, will we be able to dual/triple log as we do now, using the new engine? I have seen some Directx8/9 games that struggle or crash even if you simply go to the desktop. Hopefully we will still be able to dual-log in windowed mode!
    Last edited by witekr; Jan 20th, 2008 at 00:18:26.
    RK2: Duren, Faker, Duker, Fujarus
    http://www.freakmod.ca - my music

moar... gimme moar!

Small detail at the end of the Video: Still Alive. Nough said

This... is... oh my... god... ...so ....incredibly awesome!

Any existing character pic/video from the new engine??

*Bumps Tokrika*

-gimmay mooore-

When this hits Testlive, the live servers are going to go dead...

For all those people worrying - practically the only way you won't experience better performance is if you don't have a video card that support the dx version they are using.

(My opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumifly View Post
    For all those people worrying - practically the only way you won't experience better performance is if you don't have a video card that support the dx version they are using.

(My opinion)
    Exactly, and as sill pointed out it will be DX9, if you got a DX8 or 7 card start saving cash today... (Actually a DX9 card is "only" about 200 bucks... max..)
    If your using vista and dont have a DX10 card yet aim for that becouse DX10 cards still have DX9 compatibilety...
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    Exactly, and as sill pointed out it will be DX9, if you got a DX8 or 7 card start saving cash today... (Actually a DX9 card is "only" about 200 bucks... max..)
    If your using vista and dont have a DX10 card yet aim for that becouse DX10 cards still have DX9 compatibilety...
    You can find DX9 cards for 79 bucks. I can't see the new engine being anymore harder to run than WoW, so everyone should see an improvement.
    Youtube
    Twitch

AO
    Rakhabit 220/20 Agent FINALLY
    Halfempty 220/16 Engineer/Evade Negator
    Primatene 168/20 Original Doc Twink

TSW
    Myyah "Read" Hawwa
    Shadow Dominion
    Cerberus

Really sweet stuff

And I loved the "Still Alive" at the end
    pwetty

love the video.. and the still alive sign in the end.. <3 <3 <3. just hope it will be running before the end of 2008
    For the funz....

I'm in love...
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

It's sweet

I hope we'll hear about what plans there are for future updates to the graphics. As it is, we see a new rendering engine, but all the original textures and models are still in place. Modern texture technology can do a lot of things to old models with the right work on the bumpmapping/normalmapping (even better if they still have the original renders for the game's models).

Will we see updated textures for the world and items be patched in as we go along? Or is that something that might come as a "megapatch" at some might? The visual jubmle between highres and lowres a patchwork implementation would produce would perhaps be disturbing to some... personally I would find it nice to slowly see everything sharpen up and discover texture updates here and there...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Cathael View Post
    Osman is my hero!!
    Yes, Osman is indeed a hero - He deserves cheques for drinks. I've sent mine to FC Oslo, have you?

On a serious note, I wouldn't be surprised if this got submitted to Kotaku or other places really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskarin View Post
    I'm so confused. Who are you?
    He be Cathael, Tools Programmer at FC & resident mime.
    Coordinator J.C.Orion
    Team Leader, Media Productions
    ARK Community Relations

Read the Rules / Learn about ARK / Book a Wedding / Contact the CR Department

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    It's sweet

I hope we'll hear about what plans there are for future updates to the graphics. As it is, we see a new rendering engine, but all the original textures and models are still in place. Modern texture technology can do a lot of things to old models with the right work on the bumpmapping/normalmapping (even better if they still have the original renders for the game's models).

Will we see updated textures for the world and items be patched in as we go along? Or is that something that might come as a "megapatch" at some might? The visual jubmle between highres and lowres a patchwork implementation would produce would perhaps be disturbing to some... personally I would find it nice to slowly see everything sharpen up and discover texture updates here and there...
    Yeah that would be awesome!

However theres some models that needs upgrading also...

Maybe they could like start off by adding new models and textures for vegitation the same or afew patches after the new engine hits live and then slowly start upgrading the models of houses in Citys etcetc patch by patch while upgrading the textures ^_^
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Wow when I thought of the new engine I thought of no more lag and general performance boosts.

But this.... is... amazing... I love you all!!111111

And I love the Still Alive thing at the end ^^
    Eseb

Luckyspawn: spartans know all about pvp in BS /macro sparta /s THIS IS... SPARTA!!! \n /afk

This looks fantastic.

I always thought the render engine upgrade was purely for the performance, but this is just.. amazing. Good work, Funcom!
    Suited Techno Wizard Freshman 'Disco "Icoyce" Duck' - Main and a slow leveler
    Mediocre Master 5th Dan "Eriphyle" - Hard-hitting redhead
    Intermediate Union Man "Eena" - Chick with a stick
    President of TheOrderOfChaos.

Also haunting testlive.

Preview looks amazing but I just hope you got some advertising dollars as well and start getting new people in the game or it will looks like the previews, pretty pictures but no one in it.

what shader model is it running 2.0 or 3.0 ? bc i orgamsemmming but wont be if its 3.0 bc running x800 pro gto ;/
    Last edited by souldeep; Jan 20th, 2008 at 05:44:00.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast