Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Updated AO engine movie

Yeah, if your hardware doesn't support dx9, it's probably time for an upgrade anyhow.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

Geif Now Plx!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Venachar View Post
    Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Well Duh lol.

I have chronic dyslexia of the keyboard..

Zen.

Quote Originally Posted by agentgimpy View Post
    Yeah, if your hardware doesn't support dx9, it's probably time for an upgrade anyhow.
    Well there are some pretty cheap-o cards that support DX9...Could you really get by with a low-end GeForce 6000 series on the new engine for example?

*edit: I play with bootcamp on an imac, which uses shared vram and is too slow to play even KoTR1 for example. So I am putting a video card in my PC which was previously only a server, but since AO is the only game I play I want to squeak by with the minimum.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

95% of all video cards manufactured since 2002 support DX9 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trypha View Post
    Well there are some pretty cheap-o cards that support DX9...Could you really get by with a low-end GeForce 6000 series on the new engine for example?

*edit: I play with bootcamp on an imac, which uses shared vram and is too slow to play even KoTR1 for example. So I am putting a video card in my PC which was previously only a server, but since AO is the only game I play I want to squeak by with the minimum.
    Well since noone but the devs have ever played the game with the new engine it's kind of hard to say for sure what kind of hardware you need to run ao smoothly with it. A Geforce 8800gt 256 mb or a Radeon hd 3850 should be plenty though and I think you can pick up either for under $100.

Are we there yet?

*starts handing out pointy sticks*

actually, anything like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102785

(SAPPHIRE 1028 Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card for $17.99)

should give excellent performance under the new engine. I have a number of friends with essentially this sort of video card who play the game extensively and tey are looking forward to a jump in performance when the engine arrives.

There are lots of dirt cheap PCI/AGP PCIe cards with anywhere from 64 to 256mb of memory that should all work well with the AO under the new engine. Since the engine will rely on DX9 then newer, more powerful graphics cards will do even better but I expect that any cheap graphics card will easily run AO at 15-20 fps anywhere in the game - something that many modern PC/video card combos can't do right now.

Radeon (ATI) might be cheaper then nvidia but nvidia has less problems with games, although on the flip side nvidia has -too- many drivers.

ATi/nVidia not the point - point is the engine isn't something demanding real gpu muscle to run AO smoothly - just essential DX9 functionality - both brands have plenty of cards that fit the bill. That one above I pulled at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    There are lots of dirt cheap PCI/AGP PCIe cards with anywhere from 64 to 256mb of memory that should all work well with the AO under the new engine.
    But how do you KNOW??!
    Are we working from the assumption that since the game is several years old, and has polycounts and texture details accordingly, that once the engine is written properly it will be about as demanding as a game of similar gfx quality from ages past?

It's probably safe to assume they're not redoing the models or the environments, at least not for the forseeable future. So we are going to have a semi-modern engine pushing a relatively light load...is that why you think a $20 card will be enough for the new engine?
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

Nope, don't know a thing. Sil did mentioned in an interview with MMORPG back in January that they didn't want to alienate the current playerbase with stiff requirements and that graphics eye-candy could be turned on/off to help cards handle it. Those $20 cards from circa 2003 (and most 'integrated' video chipsets) can do fine rendering realistic water and shadows if properly coded - no need for 256mb AGP/PCIe. I'm sure they know their standard is WoW - if it can run WoW, it darn well better be able to run the new AO engine. That will keep those $20 cards and integrated video chipsets safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trypha View Post
    But how do you KNOW??!
    Are we working from the assumption that since the game is several years old, and has polycounts and texture details accordingly, that once the engine is written properly it will be about as demanding as a game of similar gfx quality from ages past?

It's probably safe to assume they're not redoing the models or the environments, at least not for the forseeable future. So we are going to have a semi-modern engine pushing a relatively light load...is that why you think a $20 card will be enough for the new engine?
    my old 20$ card used to run oblivion on low settings which still had over 100 times more polys and actual shaders

Bamp.. New trailers plox. More than just one shiny new pic.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/anarch...epreview-2.jpg
    SmokeX 210/23 Neutral Opifex MA General of Spirit Walkers
    SmokeKillsU 81/3 Neutral Opifex Agent
    UraniumX 101/2 Neutral Nanomage NT
    BruteForceX 61 Neutral Opifex Fixer
    SmokingGunsX 43/2 Neutral Solitus Soldier
    SixOfNynex 42/2 Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    Jiroieyoshi 12/2 Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    EMHMarkX 32/2 Neutral Nanomage Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    2. The vast majority of the old engine has now been cut out of the new AO client. I thought this would take much longer than it did. Damn. I'm really hoping to get another video to you guys within the next 3 weeks. SOOO exciting.
    That was posted on Feb 19th, 2010.

WTB updated video with the current new engine please.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    That was posted on Feb 19th, 2010.

WTB updated video with the current new engine please.
    Damn, Feb. 19th?! I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and thought it had only been a couple months, but it's actually been almost 5?! LOL
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

1m creds on the video coming today.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Quote Originally Posted by reids View Post
    Oh? Sir... We have a bet...
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Do you know something we don't, or is it just that your main has 1B Creds and you have 5 other bank alts with 1B each that 1M creds is basically the same as a nickel to you?
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Oops

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 44 seconds.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

You lost 1m creds to Rktim.
    Sad day for you.

Now let me try:
    I bet there will be no release until next year. &, still, everyone will be disapointed.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast