Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17.7 Dust Brigade Quest Guide

17.7 Dust Brigade Quest Guide

This following guide to the new questline is written for my org forums and is posted there, but it would benefit even more people if I posted it here as well (plus, it has maps). I don't know the slightest thing about HTML, so this format will be basic. If there are corrections or things that need to be added, let me know or leave a post about it, and I'll do my best to keep it updated. This guide is updated to include the changes of 17.7.2.

First off, no part of this quest is soloable (except for "Dust Brigade Questchain, Part 4: Obtaining your 3rd Nano"), so grab some buddies or get in a random team.

NOTE: When I talk about Renfred, I'm talking about myself, a lvl 217 Clan Soli Crat with 2.2k AR and 2k debuffing/mezzing/charming nanoskills.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 23rd, 2007 at 05:50:55. Reason: included that there's a soloable part to the quests. Updated with 17.7.2

Dust Brigade Questchain, Part 1: Obtaining your Nanodeck

Overview of NPCs you'll need to deal with:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ne-pt1copy.jpg

To start off this chain of quests, speak to Peacekeeper Constad in ICC near the whompahs (he looks like a non-Trox Newland City guard).

He'll send you to see Priest Fontain in CoH, who in turn will ask you to dispose of Priest Atalas.

[NOTE: A tank with good reflects and a real Doctor are needed for killing Priest Atalas, as he has incredible evades and NR and hits for ~3k even with RRFE. On Renfred, 2.2k AR isn't enough to hit him even 20% of the time, and 2k in nanoskills won't land consistently land debuffs that have 100% NR check unless you spam them 10+ times. The good news is that UBT will land eventually.]

Changes in 17.7.1 and 17.7.2: Priest Atalas supposedly has been toned down.

Upon killing him, return to Priest Fontain, who will direct you to go see John Solare

John Solare is a tough Trox and won't cooperate, so speak to him as aggressively as you want. He'll aggro you, and after killing John, start a conversation with his little friend standing next to him, and you'll receive the quest, "Home Again: Riding the Waves."

Changes in 17.7.2: Only one person on the team needs to speak to him in order to update the whole team

[Unlike Priest Atalas, John is very perkable and everything lands on him]

Talk to the communication tower before meching up (since you can't talk to it when you're meched), and it doesn't seem to matter which options you choose; in the end you'll be forced to destroy it.
    Be careful, as it spawns around 3-4 red turrents that hit for ~1.5k damage and procs nano damage for 1k. You only need to destroy the communication tower, not the turrents. If you have 10k or less HP, mech up to take on the tower or get out of range when the countdown is active, because once it reaches zero there will be an area nuke that affects everyone not in a mech. For those who can take the punishment, it's possible to destroy the tower before the turrent spawn and nuke become unbearable.

[A Crat using a boss mezz can give a few teammates extra time to talk to the tower]

Report back to Peacekeeper Constad in ICC, who will give you your nanodeck and your next set of missions for your first profession nano.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 23rd, 2007 at 05:48:46. Reason: Included information provided by Cheapthrill. Updated with 17.7.2

Dust Brigade Questchain, Part 2: Obtaining your 1st Nano

Upon speaking to Peacekeeper Fontain after finishing up part 1, you'll receive this new chain of quests in Mort, located between Sentinels grid exit and the Neutral city of Hope.

NOTE: Having a real Doctor is recommended for the 5/5 quest, as each turrent hits for ~2k dmg every two seconds or less.

Changes in 17.7.2: The turrents should "now have reasonable NR"

This starts off as a relatively easy "find item and apply hacking tool to it" type of quest, but on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th parts of this quest a turrent will spawn after you apply the hacking tool. Destroy the first turrent spawn, but you can ignore the second turrent spawn in segments 2 and 4 of this 5 part quest (although they warp).

The 5th segment of this quest (it'll say "Xxxx: 5/5" in your mission window) will spawn three turrents that you will need to kill in order for the final turrent (Gamma) to spawn. If the three turrents all focus fire on you, consider yourself dead even with a real Doctor.

In order to prevent someone from being targetted by all three turrents simultaneously, here are some tips provided by fellow players:
    1. Have mechs hold aggro of turrents that the team is not attacking, or
    2. Move to the max attacking range possible so only one turrent can attack you (works only for ranged toons, of course)

The Gamma turrent will spawn ~5 minutes after the three turrents are dead. Kill it, then return to ICC to speak with Peacekeeper Constad to receive your 1st profession nano and the quests for the 2nd nano.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 23rd, 2007 at 05:50:27. Reason: Added information provided by Achknan, tasker_healer, Galilei, and Lorna. Included 17.7.2

Dust Brigade Questchain, Part 3: Obtaining your 2nd Nano

You will receive this sequence of quests after receiving your 1st profession nano.

NOTE: A Fixer for fgrid is nice to have, or two Engis who warp back and forth, as you'll see from the following overview. Also, I didn't get the Fgrid, so I might have missed out on killing something before the Tag Item mission. A Doc is highly recommended, although my team did it with two Shades, an Agent in FP Doc, a Crat, and an fgridding pocket Fixer (and two SBs).
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ne-pt3copy.jpg

The first part of this mission is a Tag Item mission. You'll need to tag three terminals inside the camp; one is hidden underneath a tent. After tagging all three items, return to Peacekeeper Constad who'll update the mission.

This mission is in the same place as the last one, and will require you to kill the four named mobs there who are guarding the Primary Device (well, it's Primary something). Careful pulling is required, as they are ranged and hit for 4-7k damage, and can also make the person they're attacking rooted or stunned.

This is where things might get messy, as it's an OD fest (you need to get the loot for all four mobs) while staying alive (my team fired off two SBs for the last two named mobs after another team came in guns ablazing). There are also some Dust Brigade mobs walking around here, and it would be wise to kill them first so you can focus on killing the bosses later.

Fortunately, these mobs and the bosses have low NR and rather low evades, so debuff or perk them as you wish.

After the kill mission, you can complete the hacking mission. Give the hacking tool to the Primary Console, and wait for the countdown to complete. You'll receive the "Hacked Data Chips" to return to Peacekeeper Constad and get your 2nd profession nano, as well as the quest for the 3rd nano.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 15th, 2007 at 15:28:33. Reason: clarified my definition of "needed"
    Renfred - 219 Clan Bureaucrat
    Reniant - 167 Clan Doctor
    Renlage - 201 Clan Nano Technician
    Renrak - 70 Clan Meta-Physicist
    Renameta - 55 Clan Meta-Physicist

All are proud members of Angels of the Night

Dust Brigade Questchain, Part 4: Obtaining your 3rd Nano

This line of quests is all "Tag/Feed Item," but you'll regret it if there isn't a pocket Fixer on the team for Fgrid and GSF.

First terminal is located in Lush Hills
    You'll need to enter through where the valley opens, indicated on the map
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e-pt4tag-1.jpg

Second terminal is located in Perpetual Wastelands:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e-pt4tag-2.jpg

Third terminal is located in Mort:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...4tag-3copy.jpg

Fourth terminal is located in Southern Foul Hills
    Careful here if you aren't an evade profession, because there are Dust Brigade Snipers ready to gank you. The terminal is up on a little pathway built on a tree, so you can still complete the quest on foot.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...4tag-4copy.jpg

Fifth and final terminal is in Milky Way, where you'll need to enter through a cave entrance.
    Flying is mandatory here, because in the later parts of the cave there are plenty of red/orange mobs ready to attack you.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...4tag-5copy.jpg

Return to Peacekeeper Constad for your 3rd nano and get the mission for the fourth nano.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 14th, 2007 at 21:33:24. Reason: fixed the location of the PW terminal

Dust Brigade Questchain, Part 5: Obtaining your 4th Nano

NOTES: You need a real Doctor for this, as well as a tank/area mezzer. Sean Powell can only speak to one person at a time, and do let the people with "Out of the Frying Pan..." quest talk to him before those with "The Informant" speak to him.

Upon speaking to Peacekeeper Constad, he'll tell you about an informant that has information he needs, located at:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ne-pt5copy.jpg

For the first part of this mission, "The Informant," you DO NOT kill Sean Powell. Rather, you need to get the loot rights for the two named DB mobs that spawn ~5 minutes after the horde of Dust Brigade mobs (around 30 total) starts to spawn. You can keep them all mezzed, or try to whittle them down before the boss spawns. To start the spawning process, feed Sean the ID card you received from Peacekeeper Constad. Survive the swarm, but keep an eye out for Ground Chief Aune's placeholder that will spawn in the last 'wave': a low-level (aka: green) Dust Brigade Commando that's holding a gun.

The first boss is Ground Chief Aune, who hits an average of 3k. Kill her, and a turrent will spawn. This turrent has effects similar to the Dust Brigade Security Drones, as it can snare and wipe NCU, so keep those reflects up. Upon getting loot rights for both bosses, you'll get the quest "Out of the Frying Pan..."

Changes in 17.7.2: The Gamma turrent should "now have reasonable NR"

At this point, DO NOT go back to ICC and report to Peacekeeper Constad, or else you'll get "The Informant" quest again.

NOTES: Watch out for the Dust Brigade Security Drones (which spawn at the entrances to this mission, much like the HI eremites, after someone feeds Sean the ID card), or stay out of their Line of Sight because they will wipe your NCU and proc a snare on you. Also, the regular Dust Brigade mobs that spawn here are charmable; Renfred managed to charm a lvl 245 mob, but it went berserk and attacked Sean Powell so I freed it before I got aggro. Pet commands work slow here, because of the many mobs, so don't expect your pet to do anything until 20 sec. after you issue the command.

Changes in 17.7.2: Sean should no longer AoE, so damage shields can be used again.

Now that you have the "Out of the Frying Pan..." quest, have each member of the team talk to him. Be warned that other players might attempt to feed him the ID card, meaning you'll have to wait for another whole round of the quest above (which takes at least 30 minutes), so tell them politely to back off until your whole team is done talking to Sean Powell. This will give you "...into the Fire?" quest, and Sean will give you some encrypted data to turn in to Peacekeeper Constad.

Changes in 17.7.2: Sean should now be able to speak to the kill team without needing to respawn

Return to ICC, give Peacekeeper Constad the data, and he'll reward you your 4th profession nano as well as another item which will probably be used for 17.8 quests.

This concludes the DB guide for 17.7.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 23rd, 2007 at 05:50:42. Reason: Found out there's a placeholder for Aune. Included 17.7.2

much appreciated!
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

temp sticky plx!
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

I soloed a part yesterday. Finding some towers and stuff.
    Verwooks 220/27 Soldier
    Naprapat 220/21 Doctor

General of Ragnarok

DBQuestline-pt4tag-2copy.jpg Image is wrong, the tower is just above the 205 dyna in PW, image shows it futher east.

If you use the "image code" from photomucket it will post the picture instead of the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Verwooks View Post
    I soloed a part yesterday. Finding some towers and stuff.
    Included now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by onack View Post
    DBQuestline-pt4tag-2copy.jpg Image is wrong, the tower is just above the 205 dyna in PW, image shows it futher east.
    Fixed now; thanks for noticing!

Quote Originally Posted by Oujikage View Post
    If you use the "image code" from photomucket it will post the picture instead of the link.
    It's what it's formatted as at the moment, and it shows up fine on my org's forum. I think FC has it disabled it in case someone were to have a picture of something inappropriate, since I've even tried copying and pasting FC's example that they have on their FAQ about embedding images in posts, with the same result.
    Last edited by Renfred; Dec 15th, 2007 at 04:59:14.

You say that FGrid fixer is needed, is that "needed" as in the timers are too short if you have to fly over there, or "needed" as in convenient to save the running around?
    Lorna, 209/13 Trader on Die Neue Welt
    Jaegerin 220/21 Adenturer equip
    Yeuh 220/20 Doctor equip
    General of Midnight Syndicate

- Live long and prosper, but not at the expense of your comrades

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    You say that FGrid fixer is needed, is that "needed" as in the timers are too short if you have to fly over there, or "needed" as in convenient to save the running around?
    Ah...I hadn't thought about my use of "needed" when writing the guide, but it's for convenience. Included this in the guide, as well. Thanks for pointing it out!

Nice guide.

I would say you don't really need to mech up for the comm relay tower. Dunno how bad it gets with alot of people there but the times ive done it its been enuff to have one doc and all the people with less than 10k hp stand back. You can pretty much kill the tower before more than one turrets spawns.
    GlaDos: There was even going to be a party for you. A big party, that all of your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, 'the Companion Cube'. Of course, he couldn't come, because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either, because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are. It says so right here in your personnel file; 'Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned.' SHALL NOT BE MOURNED. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny too.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Renfred View Post
    Also, turn off damage shields as Sean will constantly AoE everyone in the field for 1 damage, unless you like being on the receiving end of one of Sean's nukes.
    Does anyone know why Sean still likes to aggro Docs, advies and enfs even when no-one in team has any damage shield running? We had crat that calmed the dusties, only attacked the dusty that Sean was targeting and almost every time when the mob died, Sean swapped target to team's doc/adv/enf - usually one of them ended up dead from Sean's huge hits and soon whole team got wiped. That caused lots of frustration to people since we had to spend hours trying to get that fight done (got it done finally with multiple teams).

When you go for your first nano, with the three turrets, I've noticed something that works.

My team of six did it last night, and I can confirm it today, that if you mech up and go in first, two turrets will keep aggro on you, while the other turret will aggro the designated tank.
    Achknan || 220/17 MP, Vice President of Annihilation
    Enfitroxar || 217/18 Enforcer, Squad Commander of Annihilation

Quote Originally Posted by Achknan View Post
    When you go for your first nano, with the three turrets, I've noticed something that works.

My team of six did it last night, and I can confirm it today, that if you mech up and go in first, two turrets will keep aggro on you, while the other turret will aggro the designated tank.

did it this way also team of 5, the crat and other meched and each took 1 turret 2x sold and doc killed 1 than move to next person in mech on that turret, unmeches and helps kill than move to last and that person unmechs, helps kill than we all were on gama, btw i died tanking gama, but was saved at clan outpost in zone so made it back for kill,,,, highly recomend saving there if clan, if omni, not sure where u save
    Proud Advisor of Spartans

Taskersolder Level 220 Soldier
    Taskdoc Level 220 Doc
    Jarew Level 220 NT
    Tasker1 Level 220 Fixer
    Taskcrat Level 220 Crat
    Tasky Level 220 Trader
    Taskmann Level 220 Adv
    Healer01 Level 220 Doc-semi-retired TT dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by tasker_healer View Post
    did it this way also team of 5, the crat and other meched and each took 1 turret 2x sold and doc killed 1 than move to next person in mech on that turret, unmeches and helps kill than move to last and that person unmechs, helps kill than we all were on gama, btw i died tanking gama, but was saved at clan outpost in zone so made it back for kill,,,, highly recomend saving there if clan, if omni, not sure where u save
    We didn't use mechs at all, just moved around turrets so that ranged people were still in range for one turret but the other 2 turrets were far enough not to hit us, moved after each turret to similar position and after all were down all attacked center turret. Was easy fight. Keeper got bored while ranged were killing the turrets (no-one thought about mechs in this mission).
    [220/30/70] Fixer, [199/24] Shade, [150/20] Trader, [150/19] Crat, [136] Fixer, [71/6]Agent, [60/6]Enforcer + bunch of other alts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast