Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE make the game more PvP oriented!

Originally posted by Naraya
    Hehehe...wow...flamage going back and forth...time to jump in...

Polls have been taken, opinions have been expressed...the PvPers want PvP improvements, the PvMers want PvM improvements. Being that these two take place (primarily) in completely different playfields, what's the problem?

What most fail to realize is that the human mind can only take so much repetition before your patience starts to wear thin. Compound that with the many problems of the PvM game and you have a breeding ground for insanity. The only 'content' PvM needs now is functionality fixes and maybe a tweak to the ridiculous level curve (yes...ridiculous). Consider:

It took me 13 million+ XP to get from 149 to 150.
    To get from 199 to 200, it will take over 74 million XP.

I say it is ridiculous after considering that traversing from TL4 to TL6 requires repetitive killing of the same kinds of mobs over and over again. You can add all the outdoor content you want, you will still won't remove the tedious boredom of getting from TL4 to TL6.

PvP is the ONLY chance this game has at keeping its higher level players around. The ONLY chance. The current PvP implementation will fail that task almost 100% of the time....

For there to be war, there must be a motive...a reason. There is no reason to PvP in this game other than Tarasque lewts or PvP Titles. LAME.

In the real world, the bastards who run this world have induced war after war over black gold (read: OIL). Our cars need this. Our planes needs this. Our boats need this. Our frying pans even sometimes need it. Without some valuable resource like that in Rubi-Ka (and some mechanism which generates the need for it by consumption), there's no basis for conflict, no reason for war.

The different professions were all made with a purpose that I think FunCom has lost sight of...their role in the war that does not exist on Rubi-Ka. Consider:

If it were such that PvP-viable weapons no longer dropped off mobs, but were obtained purely via tradeskill, Engineers might have more of a reason to put themselves through leveling hell.

If it were such that certain organizations within the alignment contained a few top notch Engineers who needed Traders to deal the goods they produce around to other organizations, Traders might have more of a reason to put themselves through leveling hell.

If it were such that war was costly and diplomatic solutions were favorable, Bureaucrats might have more of a reason to put themselves through leveling hell.

If there were environments that REQUIRED some sort of useful map reading / navigation ability to which only the Adventurers were capable of possessing, Adventurers would have more of a reason to put themselves through leveling hell.

PvP should not focus on one versus one combat. This was not supposed to be some martial arts tournament where combatents faced each other in a civilized artistic manner. The storyline reeks of war, and when I think war...when I see war...I don't see anyone trying to make the fighting grounds "equal". I see carnage....lots of it.
    Well. Point taken on the 'motive' part, but. I mostly pvp for the fun of it...i don't mind whether we have to 'take an outpost' or not i just find it fun. There just needs to be more taste to it so it has a longer lasting appeal and more tactics are used for it.

Hehe...but traders...trust me, they do not suck in PvP They have a debuff nano that is even further proof that most nano lines in this game were designed for PvP, as skill debuffs do not have much effect on mobs. Hell, professions dont seem to have much distinction when fighting mobs. Just raw dmg is all thats needed.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

I'm not saying Traders suck in PvP, gawd no. What I am saying is that the game could be 1000% more interesting if the PvP system made use of more than just combat and utilized the special non-combat skills which we do have in a crucial way.

No, I don't have any experience in game development specifically, yet I have been programming computers for nearly 18 years (BASIC, Java, and for the last few years now C++) and been playing video games for nearly 22 years now. I'm no older than 30. My entire life has seen video game after video game since Pong and it's snazzy little graphical update (who would have thought something as simple as Pong would have been any fun 20 years later?).

PvP can be completely implemented without any PvMers really noticing. In the last month of PvMing, I have seen no more than 4 playfieds (NLC, NLD, Grid, BS). Factor in Tir/Athen/Rome/Ent/Trade/20k and you have all the PvM zones you need...

So what of Mort, Perpetual Wastelands, Avalon, Belial Forest, Artery Valleys, Andromeda, Milky Way, Clon****, Southern Foul Hills, Eastern Foul Plains, Varmint Woods, The Longest Road, Greater Omni Forest, Omni Forest, etc??? When was the last time any of you PvMers stopped to smell the roses in any of these zones?

The game can already facilitate PvM and PvP at the same time. PvP hasn't seen an improvement in ages and could use a complete overhaul cause what's there right now simply don't cut it and that's the main reason why people leave a game of this nature once they've finished developing their characters: All the time spent developing a character and for what? So I can go around and brag about how my tolerance for boredom is superior? Bah....
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by Flak "Stromm" Tempest

LOL! You admit you do not pvp but you claim that you know more about what 'ganking' means. You're a good example. IN A WAR ZONE if a level 75 zones into 25% why wouldnt the level 200s kill him? The object of that zone is war, and they will shoot whoever they wish. You also admit you do not pvp and you say that 'most pvpers are *******s.' Lets hear some more of your 'good examples,' eh?
    Again Stromm, you just jump in and make the same strawman argument. I never said that PvP zones were lame. I never said that a person being killed in a PvP zone was a bad thing.

What I said was that unrestricted PvP- that's *unrestricted*, is the sort of the thing that appeals to d00dz. It's a harrassment playground.

I was responding to Jynne's comment:

"It sounds like the people who want PvP anywhere at any time in a 'balanced' way would love Neocron. Myself, I haven't logged in the beta again after I got ganked by two very well-armed and higher-level characters at a zone line with my brand-new character while I was "synchronizing" with the server (ie, I had zone loading lag). Forgive me if that's not my idea of a good time, and don't tell me it wouldn't happen here on AO because we all know it already does. Given the chance, aka, given highly unrestricted nonconsensual PvP, the bad will drive out the good from any online gaming environment."

She is right. Your PvP issues are fine. I was originally responding to the idea of unrestricted PvP, not friggin' 2HO or MMD, which are clearly PvP zones.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Look Stromm, I don't like flame wars, so this will be my last post on this subject. But you're a blatant hypocrite, and against my better judgement, I'm not going to let it pass. You launched lengthy and unprovoked personal attacks on me and on anyone else who doesn't agree with you, and then say you think other people are too sensitive. You make an appeal to your authority as a PvPer when the real issues are game design and business models - which you have little-to-no idea about. You change subjects and set up straw-men rather than facing the real points people make in counter to yours.

I spent four years as a designer, developer and administrator of a PvP oriented MUD. That's relevant experience to the subject at hand. I know for certain that PvP cannot be balanced in an online game environment because every time you change one thing, it interacts with other things and ends up changing everything. Including the nature and behavior of the PvP community.

I also know from experience it'll be you who complains the loudest when PvP is expanded (like say in the booster pack) and more people do it and you find that your precious PvP community is overrun with people who don't share your opinions or sense of sportsmanship.

And the funny thing is, I never said PvP should go away or that people who like it shouldn't do it. I didn't even say that it couldn't be improved. All I said is that it doesn't make business sense to improve it at the expense of the majority of people, because it's impossible to balance it, which will always make a lot of people unhappy with it.
    Last edited by Jynne; Sep 20th, 2002 at 05:59:15.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Actually pvp CAN be balanced.

I spent nearly five years on Medievia before it too became a carebear game. It was and is to date the only online world that had a truely working pvp system I've every used. And I've been online gaming since 91.

But that's besides the point.

Unrestricted does indeed invite the d00dz etc. But any pvp does. In fact, most pvp now IS done by the d00dz because quite frankly, walking to omni/tir arena to duel someone is far far far from many people's idea of pvp. Yet to use d00dz as an excuse not to improve or widen pvp is a farce. They aren't the only people playing this game, and if you wish to center all your attentions on them and outmanuvering their whinings, you ignore the hoardes of non-d00dz who very much would like to pvp.

This last patch had filled me with a lot of anticipation. High level content. Yes, I already knew I could care less about outdoor xp camps. I think I can speak for most high level players when I say that when it requires killing 1.5k-3k mobs to get one level..you really could care less where or what you're killing. What excited me and many others was that there would be mobs dropping nice equipment (supposedly) located throughout the normally barren 25% zones. This would allow high level players to pvp out there. It'd give them a reason. Something to fight for, even if it is just a piece of eq. I was dissapointed to say the least when I found out that these zones had become 75%. Now when I sat there at a camp with omni and clan, all we can do is stare at each other. And just have massive people sit there and shoot something hoping your side wins. What fun.

Stromm is looking for improvements. I merely bump in support even though I don't much like him. :P While I suppose any opinion is a valid opinion, I'd think if you weren't supporting pvp, you'd start your own thread, instead of crying here. *shrug*

If you don't enjoy pvp, you aren't forced to participate. Those who don't enjoy pvm, are. Just thought I'd throw that out.

Originally posted by Zylina
    It'd give them a reason. Something to fight for, even if it is just a piece of eq.
    That is EXACTLY what PvP in this game is missing....something to fight for.

I've given up on PvM already. 3 bad experiences in a row doing missions at this level, blackholage, mob AI too stupid and the outdoor hunting XP is definately not worth the risks.

I don't care if never reach 200. With the current state of the game, what's the point of getting there anyway? I don't know the 200s who did it honestly could survive the insanity...I really don't.

Originally posted by Jynne
    Look Stromm, I don't like flame wars, so this will be my last post on this subject. But you're a blatant hypocrite, and against my better judgement, I'm not going to let it pass. You launched lengthy and unprovoked personal attacks on me and on anyone else who doesn't agree with you, and then say you think other people are too sensitive. You make an appeal to your authority as a PvPer when the real issues are game design and business models - which you have little-to-no idea about. You change subjects and set up straw-men rather than facing the real points people make in counter to yours.

I spent four years as a designer, developer and administrator of a PvP oriented MUD. That's relevant experience to the subject at hand. I know for certain that PvP cannot be balanced in an online game environment because every time you change one thing, it interacts with other things and ends up changing everything. Including the nature and behavior of the PvP community.

I also know from experience it'll be you who complains the loudest when PvP is expanded (like say in the booster pack) and more people do it and you find that your precious PvP community is overrun with people who don't share your opinions or sense of sportsmanship.

And the funny thing is, I never said PvP should go away or that people who like it shouldn't do it. I didn't even say that it couldn't be improved. All I said is that it doesn't make business sense to improve it at the expense of the majority of people, because it's impossible to balance it, which will always make a lot of people unhappy with it.
    DAOC? Red server EQ? Those had balanced pvp environments, as well as the one zylina pointed out(though i do not know anything about it, ill take the word).

'Personal attacks'...Um...When you create an argument, talk what you know not of, and generalize the pvp community i will respond with that. I'm sorry if i'm not one of those people who are afraid to express their opinion, and say 'oh well, our opinions differ. I'll just ignore, cant change that fact anyway.' The forums are for debate, i only contended with my side. This thread was originally asking for improvements to PvP, i am only returning fire to those saying that the 'pvp envrionment' completely sucks, those who are saying its 'fine the way it is,' those labeling me as an ******* because i dont agree with them on this subject (yes its come to me also) and those who are speaking up about things they need to do more research on. Response and expression of my standpoint does not in any way mean i am sensitive. If people cannot stand dying in this game they should not play period. Same goes for the direction of the game, as i pointed out a majority of the nano lines and profession difference are pinpointed in the direction of pvp, and even though i could care less about the 'storyline' there is 2 factions, each one is enemy to the other.

You're mistaken if you think i adore everyone in the pvp community. There are still plenty of people who don't share my opinions (And i have no problem with that, on the forums i debate it, ingame i keep any post-differences out.) and there is a good amount of people without my sense of sportsmanship. The great thing about PvP is instead of complaining about 'too many griefers' 'too many arena gankers' you have the ability to strike back at these people. When there is a ganker in tir arena he will usually be killed by people in sight of this. If there are plenty of people ganking in the arena, clanners will band together to rid the arena so dueling can continue. I participate in this counter-ganking, so to speak, fairly often. There's *******s everywhere, no matter what you do. In no way am i trying to say the pvp community is sin-free, rather i am trying to say that the misconception among many people that hold similar positions like you is that 'all people in pvp are *******s looking to just 'ownzor people.' Simply put, that statement is false.

As far as buisiness sense goes i already told you that more people will stay/come back in AO if PvP is improved. That boosts that so-called 10% of the database you claim it to be. As far as carebears and pvm'ers go about leaving, i don't see why you can't understand that i am not saying to remove mobs, remove missions, remove hunting zones, im saying that PvM and PvP should exist equally fun and that the entertainment gap from high levels to low is way too big.

I honestly think that since carebears and pvm'ers are so afraid of not being able to go anywhere (despite the fact they dont seem to travel much..) the neutral side needs to be reworked so player combat interaction can never take place until a side is chosen at higher levels, which is probably what will be done around the levels that pvm gets boring, a stage many people are in for a surprise for. I also know, from experience that you will either PvP or quit at the higher levels, after you tire from killing mobs like many of us have.

By the way, don't put pvp'ers on a 'whine scale.' I believe it was PvMers that were 'whining' more about the mission problems, because that is what is most commonly done until now. Although, i notice many more people are going back to missions because the exp is better...You can not get decent experience points when there are 3-4 teams leeching off the same mob that takes over a minute to kill, only to get minimum exp compared to what you couldve got in that time in a mission. If an aspect of your preference of game is not fully implemented, we, as paying customers of Funcom have the right to speak up about it. It seems this attitude of 'My preference is improved; i can call anyone i want a whiner because im not whining anymore' is so rampant in this game, the subject has been also common among the new professions that got their improvements putting down other people who haven't got an improvement for months and months, for 'whining.'

I posted all this to you mostly because those who leave threads usually check the last response to what they posted. You may think that the way i go about debating makes me an '*******' or whatever, but some people hold strong standpoints about things and defend them better than other people do. I have debated with people on the pvp forum on several occasions and at the same time i am friends with these individuals. But if you want to make judgements about people just based on what you see them talk about on the forums, go right ahead.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."

damn and here I thought you had to goto Camelot to get the really phat lewt and that that place was 25%.... well guess im a newbie that know nothin....
    First player with all characters 100+ and still a newbie....

bump

What I don't get is why the carebears even give a crap. You know that the majority of them spend most of their time in the same two or three zones. And let's say you do make it to level 150+ and still have no interest in PvP (which tells me you're very easily entertained and distracted by shiney objects), what are you going to do in all these 75% gas zones? Walk around looking at all the grey mobs that won't aggro you in complete safety? Hug trees (which would fit)?

What it basically boils down to is that people who completely loathe and despise PvP are just too sensitive. They can die millions of times at the hands NPC mobs without too much aggrevation but dying ONCE to a human player completely enrages them. Pretty sad.

When I read Stromm's post, I find nothing to disagree with. More content for people who want to PvP? Sounds good to me. Why not, I'm not losing anything. So, no disagreement with what he originally wrote.

A specific disagreement with Peisinoe's post:
    The whole world should be 25% or less. People talk about ganking and danger. Do you realize how large this planet is? Do you really think there is going to be someone ganking you on every spot of the map?
    Of course. Of course there would be. There are exactly 3 ways to get from Ent to Omni Forest and Greater Omni Forest. There are exactly 2 ways to get to Galway Shire from Rome. There is exactly *1* way to get to Lush Fields if you don't have the Complit for Harry's.

There would usually be newbs to gank at NW Mines, any of the Pipes, Virusbuilders, 8x8, SoM, etc.

I could sit outside of Old Athen, away on the road, and pick off 5 newbies an hour. Wartorn Valley would be a shooting gallery. Crisscross over with Yalm, see a newbie with 200 runspeed, land and chase.

Hehe, there is a SINGLE TUNNEL coming out of ICC headquarters. Watch the bodies pile up there. Woo, good times.

Whatever changes occur, it's important to remember that not everyone is looking for a fair fight. However bored you are at 160, remember that getting ganked at level 10 is only "exciting" for a small minority.

And remember that *you* didn't have to worry about it.

Bhaaz:
    I've "killed" dozens of people in PvP, and gotten killed dozens of times. Sometimes its fun, sometimes it's just 2 hours of playtime with nothing to show for it.

Maybe I'd rather get new armor than kill Joe (noob) or be killed by Tom (gangsta).

It's not necessarily a sensitive thing.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Exclamation PVP idea

I know that PVP is desireable and based on the whole "Conflict" issue, I think that it is desireable if implemented well. If players don't all like PVP, setup missions that will allow them to become PVP without changing any suppression zones or areas.

Idea:

Add a third set of mission booths everywhere, let the missions be the PVP option. Once you take a mission that is PVP, you must go to a hostile area, or enter a mission area where PVP is the rule. In the mission description or on the icon, show how many "enemies" are ready in this mission. Once you have accepted a PVP mission, you are flagged somehow as being a "target" for the opposing team.

When the mission is selected, because you have multiple slots for misssions, you can put one up as "on hold" until it is full. This way, while waiting for the other players to "Queue" up, you can do other things, like other missions, whatever. When the mission is full, and ready you get a chime or some sound file played that lets you know "mission is on". (This will help with balancing, so you cannot take a mission that is not at your level, preventing the lvl 200 killing the lvl 10 character scenerio.)

Have the missions do something critical, for example, plant a bomb in a public area, or disable mission terminals in a given area. Make the dammage real to a degree, don't necessarily destroy the item, but either have an effect that lasts for a period of time, or something that players will have to actively repair. (Imagine the effect if the insurance terminals in Omnitech Entertainment are taken off line for a while, causing all players to spawn in their original back yard and their remains are either lost or delayed two or three times longer!)

Set the mission such that one team attacks and one defends. Have missions where some political figure crash lands in the wastes somewhere and the two teams have to rush in to capture/save the personage. If captured, then the other teams now have rescue missions available. If saved, then assasination attempts can be made.

Throw in optional NPC's to the game that will move, give them a pathing that will keep them moving through different zones, (at a reasonable rate, so they can be captured) and announce the zone changes to the mission groups so they scramble to get to them. Use this again as a zoning and load balancing option, if too many people are in the area of a mission, have the character move to an empty or low pop zone.

Have chained missions, so that when you save your NPC, he tells you of some other thing that all characters are now tasked with, something that again brings them directly in conflict with the other side. This would be a great way of tying into the video's, books and other roleplaying hooks in the game.

Have Neutrals defending their neutrality, put in missions that seem like black mail from one side or the other. Give them a reason to maintain the status quo. Have them protect or attack area's based on other missions intruding on their area. Neutrality doesn't mean placidity or weakness, it just means they have other agendas. Give them some off planet incentives to stay where they are, and let them be more powerful in the struggle, either fighting for full peace, no CLAN no OMNI, or put up their own government that is intended to supercede both Clan and Omni.

Lets have a "Power Bar" in the interface that shows the effects of the struggle, for every completed mission for any side, shift the bar in their direction. (Ok it won't be a bar, perhaps a bar chart added to the controls, next to the STATS button, which shows 3 bars, with missions completed on each, showing who is winning the struggle or who is more "powerful". IF the bar ever reaches more than two thirds in one area, then give all the players in that area some kind of bonus, like add Health or NANO or something to all players. Make pricing in the shops better for all in that area even, showing some effect of supply and demand due to the dominance. THis will motivate all sides to get into the fray.

IF a side is below 10% then make it harder to level or harder to find choice items, again, motivating them to get their buts in gear and do something.

Anyway, just an idea, hope it gets used in some manner.

WCMedows
    "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."

"Money is truthful. If a man speaks of his honor, make him pay cash."

Robert Anson Heinlein

Exclamation Further PVP thoughts

In addition to what I posted last, I have a bit more to say on the effect this could have on game play.

Players that take part in these missions would have obvious bonuses and opportunities for unique items.

Now on the subject of how this might effect overall game play, think about this:

In the RW, warring states often take on missions while remaining completely neutral in thier outlook. Take the example of "Moles" that are living in a community as part of that society. When they reach the point when their mission is going to happen, they act, otherwise they stay incommunicado, acting as though all is well. This keeps you from having to change the current "gas" state.

Today we choose faces, we act normal, doing what we always do so that we keep the facade of what is normal life, but when we are on a mission, the mask comes off. Non PVP'ers will not be affected by this method, they can continue doing what they always do, and it also lets lower level characters grow unitil they feel they are effective enough to take these critical missions.

Accidentally walking into a fray will not be harmless, if there is open battle, non PVP'ers should take some dammage, but should be able to take to their heels and get the heck out of dodge...

This method I have proposed would allow for unlimited conflict, while letting the sheep continue to eat grass until they get bored.
    "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."

Robert Anson Heinlein

Originally posted by Rogoff
    Of course. Of course there would be.
    First off, if you're in a yalm and get killed, no offense, you suck. Take insult if you wish, but it's the truth.

There are a small minority of low level players who don't use yalms. Frankly, since many of them will get killed anyways by monsters in many zones, imho, I could care less what they think about being killed by a player.

If we still had our old 25% zones with these new boss camps, we'd have a lot of fun out there. 'We' meaning high level players. I'm sorry if your level 2 character can't participate. Life goes on.

Now there is the argument that people who wish to see the world shouldn't have to worry about someone killing them. Yet I don't see these same people cry about monsters that are deep red and killing them. What's the difference? Please, inform me. IMHO, it's ego. Some people can't take it dying to another human being while they laugh when they die to a monster. And they say pvpers are the highstrung ones. *snicker*

The truth of the matter is that pvp is being ruined because of lower level players. It's always very amusing to watch a lower level player carebear turn level 162 and do a complete switch around in their beliefs. People raise in levels in this game. Advance you could say. Not decrease. Yet Funcom seems to think it's the lower level people who know everything. *shrug*

And yes it is sensitivity. As you pointed out, some people don't care about pvp. No one forces them to pvp. No one forces them to enter 25% gas. Your argument is silly because I could switch it around and claim that I'm being forced into 75% zones in which I might have to xp. But I don't want to. Cry. What a silly argument isn't it?

Bah, getting way off topic, just another bump towards anything that slows the pvp nerfing of this game.

PvP Checklist.

Step 1: A reason. Titles do not cut is a reason.

Step 2: Mechanics. There are some things about the mechanics of PvP in this game that don't make sense (for instance, why do all DD nanos do 50% damage without dropping the cost to 50%?)

Step 3: Level restrictions. Yeah, they may have made sense in the beginning but not anymore. What I envision is a complete free-for-all environment (anyone can kill anyone) with the point reward for killing being level restricted by 10 levels up or down.

Step 4: Implementation without interfering PvM. As long as the care-bears cry, FunCom will be very hesitant to do anything to PvP. Best thing to do would be to make an item which you can wear that would enable PvP anywhere at anytime.

Originally posted by Peisinoe

The truth of the matter is that pvp is being ruined because of lower level players. It's always very amusing to watch a lower level player carebear turn level 162 and do a complete switch around in their beliefs. People raise in levels in this game. Advance you could say. Not decrease. Yet Funcom seems to think it's the lower level people who know everything. *shrug*
    Where do high level players come from? Yeah, low level players. High level players get bored and leave. You have to replace them. You can say hasta la vista to new players if you want. Hope you enjoy AO's final year.

The post I responded to suggested that all zones be made 25%. Do you or they know what levelling up in that sort of environment would be like? Maybe you do. Maybe you've been bind-camped. Maybe you've been corpse-camped. Maybe you've been sniped at level 10 by some high-level who knows where to hide.

If so, it didn't happen in this game. You always had the option of levelling in 75%. Why should new players be subjected to unrestricted PvP, when current players were allowed to carebear to 150+?

Personally, I'd love to see a new 0% server. Anyone who could level to 200 there would truly be a big dog. I'm less impressed with anyone who levels to 200 THEN wants to turn off the gas.

As I said, new PvP zones is all good. Strictly speaking, I'm fine with anything that doesn't impact the leveling rate of new players - that includes acquisition of necessary gear. If PvP becomes an obstacle to leveling, AO has gone hardcore, and all the most powerful players would have gotten a free ride.

EDIT:
    I think all Naranya's points are valid.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

That one again

The PVP switch has been asked times and times again on these boards. But it's normally the Non-PvP who ask for it and the PVPers object cause they are afraid of having not enough likeminded ppl to fight (the EQ servers being the model here).

There are a couple of problems with PVP that people should be aware of. Despite what's been said in this thread AO is in no way a "PVP game". Game mechanics are centered around gaining xp, money and items, PVP being an extra option with no other consequences than titles.

Special about AO PVP:

- Unbalanced professions for PVP - you risk to only see certain profs doing full PVP.

- Scanners - The fact that you can safe your items and xp at any moment gives the attacker a no risk situation. He/she has nothing to lose while the guy being jumped will loose xp and items when killed. If he/she manages to kill the attacker there is no reward. The attacker can come back 5 minutes later and try again. Peeps trying to level up a bit under these conditions might get frustrated.

- Stupid and offensive behavior will happen when giving a chance to happen. Remember that guy who posted on the boards about being respawncamped over and over in Omni Ent cause FC dropped gas for an event? Customer service will have alot more of such things to sort out. Full PVP would mean you could follow someone around for example and attack him over and over for hours.

I don't think Non PVPers will object such a PVP switch as it doesn't really concern them (not counting the fact that FC would be investing YET AGAIN lots of time and resources to rework PVP AGAIN), but the question is, will it work for PVPers and Funcom?

Val ( don't call me carebear unless you want to be called a egocentric bigmouth)
    Xandro, neutral bureaucract

Stromm, you're a lot like me. Too bad, cause that makes you an *******.

Just gimme a pvp server

I want a PvP Server.

The other mmorpg's have them.

Why cant Funcom?

I want ANARCHY online. Right now i can only find TRUE ANARCHY online is if i play on DAOC PvP Servers or AC Darktide server.

Those are True ANARCHY online servers.
    Originally posted by Jekyll
    read my sig:
    Kristopher Jecc Vallegos - RK1
    170+ Nano Technician
    Unit member of Lost Chapter

- Make pure PvP server. 25% suppression in major cities, 0% everywhere else. And no level restrictions

- Remove PvP titles from the game

Red face Without PVP this is rather a boring game

I mentioned some ideas earlier about making Mission PVP. Perhaps I am just tooting my own horn here but it seems to make sense. If there were a third set of mission terminals that were oriented to PVP, then we would have a simple solution to the PVP issue.

I want to have missions where I will be up against other players!

I am not interested in having to run from other players all the time, but if we had a mission booth that queued up players from each side, we would have a possible solution.

You get a mission, then all the players who accept that mission on both or all three sides of the mission are flagged as PVP against each other until the mission is complete.

This takes care of the balance issue. In the same way that currently you cannot have a team whose members are of vastly different levels cannot take a mission, this PVP option would cover it.

Make the mission area's 0% inside, and only those who accept the mission can get into this mission. If one team enters without the rest of his or her team, it will cost them the mission because the others are all in. Simple solution?

Robert Anson Heinlein

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast