Thread: Funcom: Problem with Mob AC? (not the advent/soldier thing)

Funcom: Problem with Mob AC? (not the advent/soldier thing)

Ok, myself and someone else had a long conversation that had a lot to do with how mob ac works. I did some tests, and found something that doesn't seem right, not to me at least.

When in combat with deep red mobs, there is a definite AC reduction to the damage you are doing. My level 20 fixer fighting a nano architect that was deep red to me in a level 35 mission using a ql16 micheal patriot and various self buffs, out of about 75 hits, his highest damage hit without a critical was 33. Using the same buffs etc, when fighting a dead even yellow human mob in a 50% mission, his highest hit without a critical was 47. Using the same buffs etc, when fighting any grey human mob, his highest hit without a critical was 47. So according to this small series of tests, a yellow mob's ac was no better than a greys. I could run around one of the backyards all day at level 20, and never do more than 47 damage on a non critical hit to leets and reets. But fighting red mobs there is a damage reduction from ac.

So this tells me that any mob you con yellow/green/grey to (excepting the weird advent/soldier mob thing), effectively has 0 ac. How can this be right? It totally removes the purpose of using a weapon with different damage types like fire or radiation, or weapons with a high minimum damage but low maximum damage for good armor penetration against anything yellow or lower.

Here is another situation, my level 65 fixer with a ql75 nova flow vs giant cryptthorns in clon**** that are yellowish/greenish to him. If I remember correctly, a ql75 nova flow does about 1-120 base without criticals. With hasty augmentation cloud, a +5 energy ring and a +2 energy ring, and about 310 attack rating, he could do around 210-220 max damage to giant cryptthorns. Thats about 100 damage over the base damage of the nova flow. I don't know any formulas for converting attack rating into extra damage, but it sure seems like he is getting the FULL bonus from it vs a mob that is just a teeny bit lower than him, which again seems to point toward the mob having 0 ac or an ac that is effectively 0 for whatever reason.

Is this the way it is supposed to be? The only time you want to use a weapon with fire damage or high minimum damage is when you are up against deep red mobs where there is an actual damage reduction? Granted, mob difficulty is pretty tough as it is right now and I DON'T want to see it made harder by changing the way things appear to work right now. But maybe you need to look into this for when/if you consider doing the overequipping changes and parallel mob difficulty changes.

Before anyone tells me i'm wrong, go out and do some tests yourself. If you find that you think i'm wrong, tell me exactly what you did so I can duplicate it to see for myself. So how about it Funcom? Is this the way it is supposed to work? Maybe you could give us an article on why mob ac seems to drop to 0 when you are equal in level to it.

Well I fight next to an MA doc. I watch his numbers just about every day. There are two things I have noticed.

If ac absorption exceeds damage done then he is capped. Same hit every time. Against different mobs he gets different caps (ie they have more or less ac that lower or raise his minimum damage)

If the doc is NOT capped then his damage is very variable, BUT I do notice that against greys he does more damage than greens wich he does more damage than yellows.

Personaly opinion based on many hours of observation, all mobs DO have ac.

if you want to test mob ac then I suggest you use ma, they hit a lot an have pretty consistant damage.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL