Thread: Lower nanocost on short term fixer HoT's

Lower nanocost on short term fixer HoT's

It's not such a problem for everyone but especially at lower levels and especially for those that are new to the game and can't afford to wear a new set of carbonum at all times, the nanocost is just to high.

I just made another fixer on my second account and at level 8 I uploaded a new short term HoT. At level 14 I still only have 268 max nano and the HoT requires 301 to cast. I got all abilities and nanopool maxed and the char is opifex. I could cast it if I put on a set of carbonum armor but I don't really see a reason why it should be so hard to cast.

I'm guessing the nanocost is high so that using it becomes a matter of strategy while in combat but its too much.

At least lower the nanocost of short term hot's below ql 50 by 50%. The higher ql ones are probably not such a big problem.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Carb is so hard to get? Implanting nanopool is difficult?

I'm leveling my second Fixer now and see no problem. As I see it, FC don't want Fixers having a free, low cost heal, which repeated casting of the short HoT would allow. Look at the nanocost on the new end game short HoTs.

The game should encourage more twinking and getting better gear, not less.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Carb is so hard to get? Implanting nanopool is difficult?

I'm leveling my second Fixer now and see no problem. As I see it, FC don't want Fixers having a free, low cost heal, which repeated casting of the short HoT would allow. Look at the nanocost on the new end game short HoTs.

The game should encourage more twinking and getting better gear, not less.
    I agree with the sentiment that the short term HoT shouldn't be "free" or possible to cast repeatedly without huge sacrifice in setup.

However, I think a fixer that uploaded a nano at 8 while only wearing selfbuffed implants should be able to cast the short term HoT ONCE. Especially by the time he is 13+.. I mean, just one time. I'm not talking about casting it over and over. Just one single cast.

This particular HoT that I'm referring to is one of the absolute lowest QL HoT's in the game. It's one of the very first nanos you get to deal with as a fixer. I don't expect new players to have easy access to any carbonum or to be implanting nanopool instead of other skills only to be able to cast this nano. By the time they have farmed enough cash to get the gear needed to cast this nano for example, they would have leveled past it in the process. I know I did.

Again, I do agree that the short term HoT should be relatively painful to cast but it should never be a problem to cast it once. If people were to use nanokit while in combat to cast it twice, then they wasted that HP by not using a HP-kit instead. So it comes down to nanocost vs max nano.

I don't think it's fair to base basic nanos on "twinking" or "getting better gear" when we are talking about such low levels. Which is the reason I'm only talking about low ql HoT's.

Anyway, this is my view on it and this is my suggestion. I suggest this because I don't think there's any point in having new fixers get slapped in the face by such a nanopool requirement. I think it would be much better to actually let new fixers try out the tools they have access to in a reasonable manner and let them worry more about nanocost and skills-planning for the slightly higher levels. You know, when they actually got more than 2 hours worth of gameplay experience under their belt.

Also, keep in mind what kind of nanos we are talking about here. The one I'm referring to heals 20 hp per tick. It's not going to discourage twinking/gear-gathering or produce the next generation of super twinks or anything by lowering nanocost on this one for example. This is a nano for new chars and basic nanos like these should be balanced for new players.

Btw, my fixer is wearing full set of implants from the fixer booth plus a few self designed and self made implants and +12 buff to all abilities. This is more than I expect a new player with a level 8-14 fixer to have.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 18th, 2009 at 23:16:10.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that the short term HoT shouldn't be "free" or possible to cast repeatedly without huge sacrifice in setup.

However, I think a fixer that uploaded a nano at 8 while only wearing selfbuffed implants should be able to cast the short term HoT ONCE. Especially by the time he is 13+.. I mean, just one time. I'm not talking about casting it over and over. Just one single cast.

This particular HoT that I'm referring to is one of the absolute lowest QL HoT's in the game. It's one of the very first nanos you get to deal with as a fixer. I don't expect new players to have easy access to any carbonum or to be implanting nanopool instead of other skills only to be able to cast this nano. By the time they have farmed enough cash to get the gear needed to cast this nano for example, they would have leveled past it in the process. I know I did.

Again, I do agree that the short term HoT should be relatively painful to cast but it should never be a problem to cast it once. If people were to use nanokit while in combat to cast it twice, then they wasted that HP by not using a HP-kit instead. So it comes down to nanocost vs max nano.

I don't think it's fair to base basic nanos on "twinking" or "getting better gear" when we are talking about such low levels. Which is the reason I'm only talking about low ql HoT's.

Anyway, this is my view on it and this is my suggestion. I suggest this because I don't think there's any point in having new fixers get slapped in the face by such a nanopool requirement. I think it would be much better to actually let new fixers try out the tools they have access to in a reasonable manner and let them worry more about nanocost and skills-planning for the slightly higher levels. You know, when they actually got more than 2 hours worth of gameplay experience under their belt.

Also, keep in mind what kind of nanos we are talking about here. The one I'm referring to heals 20 hp per tick. It's not going to discourage twinking/gear-gathering or produce the next generation of super twinks or anything by lowering nanocost on this one for example. This is a nano for new chars and basic nanos like these should be balanced for new players.

Btw, my fixer is wearing full set of implants from the fixer booth plus a few self designed and self made implants and +12 buff to all abilities. This is more than I expect a new player with a level 8-14 fixer to have.
    You should roll a Keeper and try casting nanos "when you're able to get them".
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

You should roll a Keeper and try casting nanos "when you're able to get them".
    If keepers have the same problem, for the same reason, at the same level range, then those nanos should have their nanocosts lowered as well.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    If keepers have the same problem, for the same reason, at the same level range, then those nanos should have their nanocosts lowered as well.
    Or, accept that just meeting a level requirement or a casting requirement, doesn't mean you're able to cast said nano, without some twinking or without some help.

Not exactly sure what level range has to do with it.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

well there is a big difference between using nanopool pool gear to cast buffs which last 4hours to one that lasts a couple of minutes, which makes so very diffucult for new players to cast.

also at the level ranges it has the most effect on, it would even be worth hotswapping armour and implants to cast buffs which last hours on a keeper, and by time you need to recast you could have gained 20+ levels.

the option to hotswap implants is impossible for a buf with such a short duration.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    considering how many ranged advies omni has, clan did quite a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Ive rolled NT and rarely make it longer than 3-4s vs fixers.
    Talking whats OP and whats not by people who have never really played so told OP profession is just lame.

Or, accept that just meeting a level requirement or a casting requirement, doesn't mean you're able to cast said nano, without some twinking or without some help.
    (Long post! Skip to the last 2 paragraphs if you don't feel like reading it all)

I do admit that there is good logic and reasoning behind your statement. In general I have no problem agreeing with it either.

The only thing about these fixer HoT's that is a (tiiiiny) bit different for me though, is the very notion of having to deal with such things before you even leveled past using your startup guns. I mean, It's not a bad thing having to get good gear or outside help to cast one specific type of nano in your toolset but I simply feel it's to early to start that before you even reach TL2.

I guess this whole thing is based on my perception of one very specific type of player. I'm referring to someone that just started playing AO for the first time and fixer was his first character. He levels to 7 in the RK-startup area, joins clan and goes to west athen. He has 1500 credits, startup guns and some random armor pieces from the startup area.

He hangs out in west athen a bit and talks to some people. He visits the shop and has a look around at the nanos and implants and weapons. He can't really afford much of anything so he either does missions or enters subway. He kills some stuff and gets a few more k's of credits and levels to 8-9. He buys the new short term HoT but finds that he can't cast it on himself until he is level 17 (because of the nanocost) or until he figures out how implants work and buys some implants for +nanopool that he has to farm credits to afford, but wouldn't want to use at higher levels as nanocost isn't such a problem then. Or until he gets enough credits for carbonum armor, which given his success so far, is a tall order. We can't expect every new player that comes to AO to go farm cushion-missions for credits before they can continue on their actual adventure.

So he either don't buy the nano until he is 17+ because he noticed the nanocost or he buys the nano and cant use it until level 17.

My question regarding this is.. why? I mean, wouldn't it be better for this fixer to cast the short term hot and see that it takes away most of his nanopool, so that he can get a hang of it? I don't really see any point in such a low level nano requiring so much nanopool because by the time a NEW player figures out enough to know exactly what it takes to cast that short term hot in its current form, he would most likely have moved/leveled on and set his eyes on the higher level hots. Not just because his skills are so much higher than the cast-req at that point but also because by the time he can finally cast it, the HoT heals for so little compared to his HP that it's not worth the hassle any more. This nano is pretty good at level 10. At level 20+ it's not so good any more.

So basically, to me personally, the nano feels a bit like a waste. Those that could get some use out of it don't really get to use it because it's only useful for a short period of time and the setup required to use it in that very short timespan requires much more effort than the nano is ultimately worth.

It just seems like the designers of that nano made it seem a lot more important than it really is. It's short lived, short lasting and not very effective past level level 15 or so. I don't see the big gain in having new players deal with something like that.

The main reason this is a problem, is because of title cap. You could have been able to cast that nano at a reasonable level and even at a reasonable cost if it weren't for the fact that you hit title cap just when you are about to get enough nano to cast it. So you have to wait several levels for that title cap to end so you can raise your nanopool some more. Once that happens you have to level a tiny bit more to get past the actual nanocost. All in all, this nano is a victim of having to arbitrarily do a bunch of extra leveling just to get past the damn caps.

So I want the nanocost to be lowered at least on these very low ql hots so that they aren't so affected by the title-cap (level 12-15) and general poor availability of good gear for new and poor players. Once players get past that troublesome area, the nanocost can afford to stay where they are. Maybe "ql 50" was a bit of an overstatement in my OP. I at least want nanocost lowered on this one specific short term hot that I'm referring to. I guess the rest are ok as they are not so affected by title cap and bad equipment

PS: Having this said, I realize that this isn't exactly the worlds most important topic. I only make this thread because I often feel a need to point out things that are nagging at me, no matter how small they are
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 19th, 2009 at 03:34:08.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Difference is that keeper nanos last like an hour or two, sometimes more.
    Fixer short hot lasts like 5 mins. And yes, it is painful for atrox fixers

Fair enough Wrangle

Quote Originally Posted by Zencor View Post
    Difference is that keeper nanos last like an hour or two, sometimes more.
    Fixer short hot lasts like 5 mins. And yes, it is painful for atrox fixers
    Troxes are supposed to have trouble with nano. Wrangle at least has room for complaint, being Opifex.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

The nanocost is always an issue on the short hot, I've had to use a slightly lower version of a few fixer buffs then I had the skills for through out my career, however the upgrade in the healing doesn't tend to be so much that its absolutely necessary unless your jumping a few nanos up.

It is a tad annoying but its not game breaking and it prevents people getting mochams and running around with a ridiculously high short hot on by themselves...

Once you start putting in decent implants and armour you'll probably find you no longer miss the nanopool to cast (as long as your raising your nanopool) and that it just starts taking up large amounts of your nanopool instead.

Thinking outside the box helps. Fixers aren't a nanoskill oriented class. All professions' implant booths are open to you. If you have a problem with some stat, use another profession's implant(s), preferably ones that are (logically) connected to that stat. What do you do ? Check the NT, MP or doctor implant booth for nanopool buffing implants, or if you have the time check all other professions' booths and pick whatever implants suit you best all 3 stats wise.

The nanocost on fixer hots is just fine.

If you did your early levels in solo missions you could get a max token board. That would take care of your nano pool problems by level 15.

signed

sure, token board, implants, etc all take care of the problem. look back to when you were a complete noob. everyone was at one point or another. there were two things I did when I first got off noob isle:

1 - talk to the annoying guy that wants a cloak or something... sydney finn. the item he wanted was in omni trade. the first thing I did? started to run. all. the. way. for the record, that's one hell of a run! specially at level 8.

2 - go into the subway, cause after a random mob killed me while I was happily on my way to trade, I wanted to kill something having invested around 40 minutes to running.

so count out token boards.

later, I heard tell of these things called "implants" and farmed in the subway to buy a full set of QL 70s. that was what people told me I could get on with alot of work. having farmed for hours on end, I promptly put in my implants without any trouble at all.

little did I know that implants without clusters don't do anything.

the OP's point of view is that low levels aren't meant to do anything except familiarize yourself with the most basic functions of the game. I'm inclined to agree. a profession should learn his/her toolset as early as possible and WITHOUT putting forth a great deal of effort. at minimum, the first buff from each line should be FAIRLY easy to cast, to get the point across what it is exactly what your prof can do.

the nano's you have access to at the start of the game if your not twinking out to raise nanoskills and that should have no problem with nanopool (as so far as your able to cast them) the issue comes when you start maximizing the skills per level and using nano's of a higher quality then you would otherwise have access too

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    the nano's you have access to at the start of the game if your not twinking out to raise nanoskills and that should have no problem with nanopool (as so far as your able to cast them) the issue comes when you start maximizing the skills per level and using nano's of a higher quality then you would otherwise have access too
    Partially this.

But on the other hand, the cost is still prohibitive, especially vs. effectiveness. Lower cost or higher healing would make this a completely functional line... but I don't use it much before 100 because the healing is just pitiful.
    A lot of fixer nanos cost a LOT of nano, even after % reduction from gear. backslot, smg, long/short hot, slip, SL runspeed etc.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

its not meant to be a permenant thing, its for those times when you need the extra healing, and for that its fine how it is at the moment. Faster ticks for smaller amounts when you need it most.

I know it used to save me plenty (even the low level ones that look like they heal awful amounts) it really is surprising how a quick but low tick amount does against normal RK mobs. Granted if you've got a lot of modern gear buffing your HP up your not gonna feel em as much.
    Last edited by Xenotric; Dec 20th, 2009 at 21:21:07.