Do Guardbots Dream of Electric Leets? An interview with Harland "Retoolkit" Bregetty
September 04, 29481 - Brad Talamer [Rimor]

IRRK - Many people have been protesting against the Omni occupation at Borealis, but few have been seeking to provide alternative solutions to the city's security. However, one local engineer has been working on such a concept: a city defense force filled with robots designed for protection against hostilities within the city, be they alien or human.

Shortly after a parade around the streets to demonstrate a series of prototype robots that could be of use in creating such a unit, IRRK spent some time with designer Harland "Retoolkit" Bregetty, discussing the plan as well as its potential implications.

IRRK: Often seen are unveilings of new technology and protests to the Borealis occupation, but rarely one to benefit the other. You've made it clear that you've intending the prototypes here to be the start of a possible automated army to reduce the need of the Omni-Tek forces to defend the city; what made you want to do it?

Retoolkit: The people can watch our bots and decide for themselves their use. They are only prototypes, but will defend Borealis soon. The bots will not look away when the aliens come, like the Omnis usually do.

IRRK: Even with the most optimistic view, moving from the prototype stage to building the city's defense force is a significant step; particulary with the fact that the city is currently under Omni occupation. Do you have any plans set up for making the move happen?

Retoolkit: It will take some time and a lot of effort. We have little resources but a lot of enthusiasm. When the aliens attack and the Omnis don't do anything, that's my motivation to finish the bots.

IRRK: For the benefit of our readers, we've got to ask - One of your robots, "CaptainHook", believes that he's a pirate. A mistake on your part or has he already been...a ship missing a First Mate?

Retoolkit: Captain is working fine, and he's never had any malfunctions despite his eccentricity. Captain is Tinker's personal assistant - he won't be used to patrol the city.

IRRK: There are fears that these robots, if put in charge of this city's security, will be unable to distinguish between friend or foe or may have their perceptions politically biased against other factions. Have you any response to this?

Retoolkit: The bots will have advanced scanners to identify aliens and discriminate them even from people using a lot of alien technology - language detection is one primary key. The bots are here to protect every citizen of Borealis regardless. Their programming will make sure that they protect especially children and older people - Look at Bea or Edna, some of my prototypes. Some more improvements and they will possess cutting-edge combat experience for fighting against the aliens.

IRRK: There are growing concerns with such a plan, where it is believed that these robots, while capable of sentient thought, will basically be enslaved to those in charge of the city. There has been some weight to their argument due to skepticism that the robots decided on their own to grab placards and wave them around the city. For the benefit of those in favour of robot rights, what is your view?

Retoolkit: They are bots, tools programmed to serve man - no more or less. Their programming limits them to protect Borealis and all citizens - They won't do anything but serve us. Unlike the Omnis that take our rights, they will be here to protect and serve only.

IRRK: What is your next step for after the parade?

Retoolkit: We will do what we always do - spend a lot of time in our workshop to improve the bots we have and build new ones. We need more and better bots to patrol the entire city. You see Miss Vein here? She told me I must not hold up a placard. My bots won't forbid anyone to parade.

We have not yet received any outside fundings, all the resources needed to build the robots were raised by Tinker and myself from our personal pockets. Borealis is our hometown and we won't watch as the Omni guards let us die when the aliens come.

IRRK: Do you have a message for those reading the article?

Retoolkit: Everyone should make up their own mind. We neutrals have rights and we don't want any Omni or Clan oppressing us in Borealis. We can care for ourselves.

Attached Images:
Image #1
Image #2
Image #3