Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incoming OOC concerns?

Incoming OOC concerns?

This is an entirely OOC posting:

I see a bit of a problem. I really dont understand all the details surrounding why RP took a huge swan dive off the face of AO, but something needs to really happen. I've read posts about the Omni-tek Board of Directors having issues, and I've seen firsthand some of the problems that can and neutrals have been facing down for about 3 months now, or sometime thereabouts the last OOC meeting with the ARKs.

LTC's that dissapear in the middle of important meetings?
    Many dropped storylines and plot arcs that never get resolved, or even started.
    The lack of LTC support for IC actions and ongoing events (see this thread on atlantean side for information)
    ** considering the clan side on rk2 needs this issue dealt with, its really bad that rk1 seemed to be getting all the love while many of us on rk2 are just sorta standing around.
    The lack of LTC support has gotten so bad, that we've had meetings in the CoT with just Alan Jacobi or Aideen Landau in attendance.

We had a big meeting on it, but sadly the ARK's never seemed to really give us any of their insight as to how they intend to approach our situation. We talked, we nodded, we discussed, but not much resolution was really handled. I know that ARK's arent going to give away storylines and plots they are weaving, but when there is complete silence at the end of a sesssion like this, followed by a few months of 'guests to talk to', tend to get a lil... stale perhaps?
    Im not quite sure this is a bone your throwing at us, but its really nothing too truly worth biting into it seems. I've tried to throw alot of my IC theories and crazy ideas into the mix, hoping that one of the ARKs would pick it up and totally run with it, as thats the kinda player I am. Roleplaying to me, is not just one person running around and doing something, its a team effort to me. When I RP around the circle of friends I play with, we are intensely team oriented. My GM takes time to learn our characters, and try to get us involved in the happenings around the world as they come.. but lately, whats really come?? Alot of cool ideas, but its all scooby doo effect... the only interaction is with things that are static.. and that's not really fun at all. Linear plotlines are basically just players along for the ride, and while it could definitely make a nice story arc, its not really a group effort.

So, alot of concerns about how things have progressed have left many of us on RK2 to feel like were just 'fending for our own'. And plotlines that are getting serious love are going on rk1 and progressing at their own speed while were waiting to hear back from the ICC guy for almost 3 months now. Don't get me entirely wrong, because we have met and interacted with some interesting NPC's but it seems that they are there just to chat with us, and not give us something we can sink our teeth into. Either that, or whatever their purpose is has gotten so colvoluted that its taking months just to get that one thing off the ground.

So, I gotta ask this... are our characters on rk2 just untinteresting to the ARKs? What would it take to get into some interesting hooks? Is there a magic word that were just not seeing? A secret handshake perhaps? There is so much going on, and so little of it being looked at as a whole and entire plotline that I am really wondering if there is anyone even really throwing some effort into it. I am not angry or anything, but I am rather curious as to why we appear to have been jilted by the LTC's lately.

From what I've been told around the fire, things have been on a descending spiral for quite some time now, and since the legionnaires tried to have their way on RK, nothing really meaty has happened since. In the meantime, there are some of us chomping at the bit with some real whoppers of our own, but it just seems that things are rather overlooked.

The straw that got me the most was when Aideen Landau appears to have just /quit in the middle of the CoT meeting. Where I come from, leaving the gaming table is kinda rude. Especially, if you didnt even give a reason.

Since the onset of this particular thread, I've been kinda internalizing exactly what the deal is, considering many of the roleplaying community in general have come to a consensus that things are not well in river city, and no ARKs are talking about how this is so, and why.

Can we have a conference on this, or??? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Netwerk View Post
    On your last topic, I am a little disappointed that there was no real RP introduction to the new content. Apart from that Omni guy taking off to join the DB way back when, there has been no real news about their increasing activity or anything. Are we supposed to bring it up? "So, like, I was zipping through PW, eh? Then I saw one of them there DBers and figured I'd wack the dude. Did that and found some cave and some uber guy that had a lot of cool phats when he died." (Ok, I haven't actually done it, I'm too gimp) I would have preferred some DB terror attacks or assaults to lead us into this content, rather than something in the update notes. It makes sense for SL content since it's all about exploring and discovery, but when one of the oldest enemies on RK rears it's ugly head?

But then I suspect this is an issue for both servers.
    This is basically what does it for me...time was, something like arrival of the battlestations would have had a sequence of RP and PVP events leading up to them. I'm not talking about borealis and 4holes randomly changing hands during a patch, accompanied by 2-3 posts in Editor News--I'm talking about a month of weekly events where the gas in a major city is dropped to 25% for an hour or two, and ARK-controlled unicorns storm Borealis and seize or kill unfriendlies, with an orbital strike (or the best approximation ARKs could manage under the previous patch) concluding the final battle before release date.

Instead, we get:
    • A whole new "expansion" with not a single mention in the "recent news" part of the launcher, let alone timeline updates. And not a single RP event either...a few years ago we would have had maybe 6 events just building up to the battlestations, and another 1 or 2 to introduce dreadloch camps.
    • Major additions in patches (new SL playfields and Dust Brigade missions)--each one of these deserved at least one major event, not to mention space in the launcher news.
    • Existing storylines were abruptly cut off (Micee5, anyone?)
    • New player involvement actively stifled by Funcom (cancellation of Borealis city council elections)
    • ARK events disconnects from existing player RP groups (no presence in NRPB, LTCs still can't make it to scheduled NLC council meetings nine months after the confusion from the fall clock adjustment should have ended)

I also can't help but notice that after I bring this up in a previous thread (mentioned by Bubbacrush), an RPer from RK1 tells me we should be satisfied with clicking menu options in quest dialogue--and within a week RK1 gets a major ARK event or two, while RK2 still has a couple of LTCs who make idle conversation, and nothing more. (Not even anything that hints at a possibility of future events. Hadrensen may be working for the Dust Brigade, since that would fit into the context of the newer game content, but you have to watch him really close to see anything su****ious at all--and even then it doesn't tie him to any ongoing plot, since there isn't any ongoing plot to be observed on RK2.)
    Edit: I hesitate to refer to these characters as LTCs, because they're not mentioned on the official LTC list, even though they've been here a while.
    Last edited by Keldros; Aug 19th, 2007 at 00:48:12.

All good points. I hand out freely a good round of kudos to trousers for setting up rpnet so we can talk send out mass messaging about whos about and who we can interact with, but for 2 weeks we had stalked hadrenson down... and thats about it.

I was taken aside by one NPC and we had a nice conversation, although it was rather interesting that the guy in question wished to many primarily the CoT reps (perhaps to gain some inside information about us, who knows? *shrug* was a fun talk either way).

I liked that, even if I know it was gunna screw me later.. i was hungry enough for some RP that of course im gunna get suckered in. :P

But, just like the reasons described above, the silence is getting more and more deafening by the day. NRPB is a great resource, and quite frankly not enough of us use it. When I have free time, I jump right into it.

As for Rimorians teaching our own, yes... I agree wholeheartedly on this. Problem is... training them for what? So they can chomp at the bit right beside us, waiting for the start whistle? It is almost a waste of time, because i've tried to get many of my own org involved who might not do it on their own, and quite literally... no results from the world angle at all.

There is so much rich potential in this game, and I am eager to dig in and bite down on it. But I literally fear that rk2 being the 'ugly RP stepchild' is pretty much lining up to be true.

Who knows... im waiting... getting tired of waiting. I know Im not alone, either. Nulion's player is out of town at the moment, or he would have a whooooole lot to add to this, of that I am quite sure.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Hehe, I may be on vacation....but I still have access to a computer that I can on occasion use

I read the things here, and yeah; a lot of them are genuine concerns....that's why, maybe a week ago, I wrote an e-mail to Funcom support, practically begging for some help...

And it's legitimate to worry that much, too! I mean, to literally get down on hands and knees and BEG for some assistance!

We've all got to realize that FC is of course bogged down by the much noisier and much more popular leet-SK-twinkiepants-OMGZINEEDTHISNEWITEMNOWTOMAKESELFBETTERTHANOTHERZP VPOMGZ type of crowd, that seems to make up much of this game. (No offense to you guys; some of the most awesome guys I know fall into this category )

....but even though FC is bogged down, we do need our loving from them. We haven't gotten it in forever, and the entire point of my e-mail was to plead for some help.

I'm not beyond getting up close and personal, and laying down the straight facts, and letting them know that what SHOULD be the gateways to roleplay in this game, the Board of Directors, the Council of Truth, and the Newland Council, feel like tacked-on extras that are rotting and dying, and are about to fall off the body of AO like a diseased limb.

I stick steadfastly by the Council of Truth, despite my not being able to be there for this month, because I do care for it...as do a lot of us. We all care about our respective organizations, but I've come to realize that we as players simply do not have the power to do these organizations justice with the "tools" available to us...

As long as the three factions' storyline council organizations offer no form of reward, then nobody will want to join them. If nobody wants to join them, support for them peters off, and as a result the whole of the RP community suffers.

We're like a group of people hidden in the background....and nobody can find us or see what we do. The Council, BoD, and NC are the most visible parts of the RP community, and as such should serve as gateways for those looking to have some RP fun.

That was the point of my letter to FC, and thankfully I recieved a mail in return (Short mail) from a GM saying that he would forward the letter to the developers, and that my words did not fall on deaf ears. I really hope he was telling the truth there, and that it'll make some form of difference. No doubt the same thing has been attempted a lot of times before, but who knows? I gave it my best shot.

Anyway, I've gotta get running. See you guys later
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

I'm not going to join the crowd and say what I think is wrong with RP today. Instead, I will try to describe an ideal role playing environment I would love to see in AO.

I would love to see a not necessarily big, but strong role playing community based on cooperation, not competition. A community, where players help each other create events. Communication, both OC and IC is quite important to achieve that, in my opinion.

I would love to see regular updates in Editor News by both ARKs and players which would serve as an information tool informing players, who for example missed an event, about the ongoing plotlines as well as one time events. That way people would not feel they're left out.

I'd love to see ARKs supporting players and players supporting ARKs in events. It's already happening (NC, CoT, BoD), I'd like to see more of it.

I'd love to see events, both ARK and player run, which are not centered on one person but more open. Events where most or all participants feel they contribute to the outcome in some way.

I'd love to see more IC chat both with players and LTCs. In my opinion, this is the best way to develop your RP character: through interaction with other players (kudos to Hadrensen for hanging out with us .)

Newbie role players come to AO from other MMORPGs, or with experience from tabletop RPGs. They want to RP, but they need a bit of encouragement. They need to see an event in action, to participate in one.

Both we, the players and ARKs are capable of achieving that. It's just a matter that we want to.
    Last edited by Llesa; Aug 20th, 2007 at 14:28:36.
    Anamelle Marecki, adventurer, leader of Lumen Orien
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Alossa Laurence, beaurocrat, director of Newland News
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Daeranne Smith, engineer, Last Ditch Academy scientist
    Lumen Orien

gah, maybe its just me ranting perhaps.. I do feel kinda bad that FC is getting alot of crap from others especially since the onset of 17.x patch stuff. I am not quite sure exactly who is playing the NPCs/LTCs at the moment, considering they could be anyone from the FC stable. It could be no different than us, waiting to get a free moment. I will continue to always be patient, but every now and then I gotta vent.

I hope I am not coming off as a jerk, but this is a rather big concern for me. It seems a bit of a downward spiral because in fact we do all need to work together to get this done. If we could get more interaction, we could get more involved, which would promote interaction, which would get more involved. Sadly, without one or more legs of this wheel, well never get anywhere.

Kudos to llesa for saying it the nice way, which I should have done. Im too tired from work this week to be as nice as you, *laughs* Im sorry for that, but your version is clearly alot more tactful than mine. So, ill just support you instead.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

More interaction from the FC side promotes more interaction from us, which promotes more interaction from them, and so on. With nothing to kickstart it, both sides stagnate and RP just sits on the back burner.
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    ** considering the clan side on rk2 needs this issue dealt with, its really bad that rk1 seemed to be getting all the love while many of us on rk2 are just sorta standing around.
    Bump.. Its kinda sad to see nothing cool happening on Rk2 side. Sure i may not be an rper, but if the opportunity presents itself, wouldnt mind getting into the storyline.. but havent heard much on RK2's side.. just RK1.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Llesa View Post
    I would love to see a not necessarily big, but strong role playing community based on cooperation, not competition. A community, where players help each other create events. Communication, both OC and IC is quite important to achieve that, in my opinion.
    The AARP (Alliance for the Advancement of Role Playing) is a joint effort between Foos and I to get this communication going on Rimor. As some of you know as bubba mentioned RPNET has been up and has had mild success; notably with Hadrensen. RPNET currently is down because it's being re-worked into the larger AARP network so keep your ears open because news likely will come from the underground.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Llesa View Post
    I'm not going to join the crowd and say what I think is wrong with RP today. Instead, I will try to describe an ideal role playing environment I would love to see in AO.

I would love to see regular updates in Editor News by both ARKs and players which would serve as an information tool informing players, who for example missed an event, about the ongoing plotlines as well as one time events. That way people would not feel they're left out.

I'd love to see ARKs supporting players and players supporting ARKs in events. It's already happening (NC, CoT, BoD), I'd like to see more of it.

I'd love to see events, both ARK and player run, which are not centered on one person but more open. Events where most or all participants feel they contribute to the outcome in some way.

I'd love to see more IC chat both with players and LTCs. In my opinion, this is the best way to develop your RP character: through interaction with other players (kudos to Hadrensen for hanging out with us .)

Newbie role players come to AO from other MMORPGs, or with experience from tabletop RPGs. They want to RP, but they need a bit of encouragement. They need to see an event in action, to participate in one.

Both we, the players and ARKs are capable of achieving that. It's just a matter that we want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nulion View Post
    Hehe, I may be on vacation....but I still have access to a computer that I can on occasion use

I read the things here, and yeah; a lot of them are genuine concerns....that's why, maybe a week ago, I wrote an e-mail to Funcom support, practically begging for some help...

And it's legitimate to worry that much, too! I mean, to literally get down on hands and knees and BEG for some assistance!

We've all got to realize that FC is of course bogged down by the much noisier and much more popular leet-SK-twinkiepants-OMGZINEEDTHISNEWITEMNOWTOMAKESELFBETTERTHANOTHERZP VPOMGZ type of crowd, that seems to make up much of this game. (No offense to you guys; some of the most awesome guys I know fall into this category )

....but even though FC is bogged down, we do need our loving from them. We haven't gotten it in forever, and the entire point of my e-mail was to plead for some help.

I'm not beyond getting up close and personal, and laying down the straight facts, and letting them know that what SHOULD be the gateways to roleplay in this game, the Board of Directors, the Council of Truth, and the Newland Council, feel like tacked-on extras that are rotting and dying, and are about to fall off the body of AO like a diseased limb.

I stick steadfastly by the Council of Truth, despite my not being able to be there for this month, because I do care for it...as do a lot of us. We all care about our respective organizations, but I've come to realize that we as players simply do not have the power to do these organizations justice with the "tools" available to us...

As long as the three factions' storyline council organizations offer no form of reward, then nobody will want to join them. If nobody wants to join them, support for them peters off, and as a result the whole of the RP community suffers.

We're like a group of people hidden in the background....and nobody can find us or see what we do. The Council, BoD, and NC are the most visible parts of the RP community, and as such should serve as gateways for those looking to have some RP fun.

That was the point of my letter to FC, and thankfully I recieved a mail in return (Short mail) from a GM saying that he would forward the letter to the developers, and that my words did not fall on deaf ears. I really hope he was telling the truth there, and that it'll make some form of difference. No doubt the same thing has been attempted a lot of times before, but who knows? I gave it my best shot.

Anyway, I've gotta get running. See you guys later
    All good points. I hand out freely a good round of kudos to trousers for setting up rpnet so we can talk send out mass messaging about whos about and who we can interact with, but for 2 weeks we had stalked hadrenson down... and thats about it.

I was taken aside by one NPC and we had a nice conversation, although it was rather interesting that the guy in question wished to many primarily the CoT reps (perhaps to gain some inside information about us, who knows? *shrug* was a fun talk either way).

I liked that, even if I know it was gunna screw me later.. i was hungry enough for some RP that of course im gunna get suckered in. :P

But, just like the reasons described above, the silence is getting more and more deafening by the day. NRPB is a great resource, and quite frankly not enough of us use it. When I have free time, I jump right into it.

As for Rimorians teaching our own, yes... I agree wholeheartedly on this. Problem is... training them for what? So they can chomp at the bit right beside us, waiting for the start whistle? It is almost a waste of time, because i've tried to get many of my own org involved who might not do it on their own, and quite literally... no results from the world angle at all.

There is so much rich potential in this game, and I am eager to dig in and bite down on it. But I literally fear that rk2 being the 'ugly RP stepchild' is pretty much lining up to be true.

Who knows... im waiting... getting tired of waiting. I know Im not alone, either. Nulion's player is out of town at the moment, or he would have a whooooole lot to add to this, of that I am quite sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Netwerk View Post
    Continuing in the OOC vein:

I'm not online as much as I'd like due to RL concerns but I do agree that there does seem to be some dropped storylines and plot arcs. It's possible it happens as ARKs running these particular arcs and lines retire from the ARK world.

That being said, your link to the "Freelance: ICC rebukes CEO Zora..." article doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ARKs ignoring Clan. The BoD on RK2 did get a visit by Reichstain as well. He said the same speech (similar to what he gave RK2 CoT I believe) as was in that post. Notice that Nadab is a freelance writer, meaning he's an RK1 player in the BoD that happens to report publicly what goes on in the meetings (see his summaries of the BoD meetings, wonderful stuff). Maybe RK2 Omni are just more secretive?

In this case it could just require more RK2 players joining the RSS and writing more of our own stories. I was thinking about doing so previously, but my time has become quite limited of late.

On the other hand, there seem to have been many IRRK (and other "official" non-player) reports that have been posted on Atlantean of late. Whether these are reports of ARK generated events or of player generated events I don't know (you'd have to ask RK1). Was the Neutral Rights Day, for instance, a player driven event that happen to have had ARKs attend? Or was it an ARK event? If the latter, why was it not on RK2 (or if it was why was there no report)? If the former, how were they able to swing getting ARKs involved in their event?

I suspect that RK2 might very well be considered the ugly step-child of AO RP amongst the ARKs. And just from personal observation, Omni-side RP seems to be in more trouble than Clan side (we generally get about 2-3 active players at BoD meetings). Not only have we seem to have far fewer RPers than RK1, we've had some pretty poor RPers (which stand out more with our low numbers), but there have also been some major personality conflicts between top tier RPers and the ARKs. There seems to be a lot of bad blood around that is taking it's sweet time clearing up.

That being said. It might be up to us, as Rimor players, to step up and create some good low-level (i.e. non-story-breaking) events ourselves. We also need to recruit (and perhaps train) other players into the RP community. Get more of us into the RSS and write some interesting stories.

On your last topic, I am a little disappointed that there was no real RP introduction to the new content. Apart from that Omni guy taking off to join the DB way back when, there has been no real news about their increasing activity or anything. Are we supposed to bring it up? "So, like, I was zipping through PW, eh? Then I saw one of them there DBers and figured I'd wack the dude. Did that and found some cave and some uber guy that had a lot of cool phats when he died." (Ok, I haven't actually done it, I'm too gimp) I would have preferred some DB terror attacks or assaults to lead us into this content, rather than something in the update notes. It makes sense for SL content since it's all about exploring and discovery, but when one of the oldest enemies on RK rears it's ugly head?

But then I suspect this is an issue for both servers.
    This is an entirely OOC posting:

I see a bit of a problem. I really dont understand all the details surrounding why RP took a huge swan dive off the face of AO, but something needs to really happen. I've read posts about the Omni-tek Board of Directors having issues, and I've seen firsthand some of the problems that can and neutrals have been facing down for about 3 months now, or sometime thereabouts the last OOC meeting with the ARKs.

LTC's that dissapear in the middle of important meetings?
    Many dropped storylines and plot arcs that never get resolved, or even started.
    The lack of LTC support for IC actions and ongoing events (see this thread on atlantean side for information)
    The lack of LTC support has gotten so bad, that we've had meetings in the CoT with just Alan Jacobi or Aideen Landau in attendance.

We had a big meeting on it, but sadly the ARK's never seemed to really give us any of their insight as to how they intend to approach our situation. We talked, we nodded, we discussed, but not much resolution was really handled. I know that ARK's arent going to give away storylines and plots they are weaving, but when there is complete silence at the end of a sesssion like this, followed by a few months of 'guests to talk to', tend to get a lil... stale perhaps?
    Im not quite sure this is a bone your throwing at us, but its really nothing too truly worth biting into it seems. I've tried to throw alot of my IC theories and crazy ideas into the mix, hoping that one of the ARKs would pick it up and totally run with it, as thats the kinda player I am. Roleplaying to me, is not just one person running around and doing something, its a team effort to me. When I RP around the circle of friends I play with, we are intensely team oriented. My GM takes time to learn our characters, and try to get us involved in the happenings around the world as they come.. but lately, whats really come?? Alot of cool ideas, but its all scooby doo effect... the only interaction is with things that are static.. and that's not really fun at all. Linear plotlines are basically just players along for the ride, and while it could definitely make a nice story arc, its not really a group effort.

So, alot of concerns about how things have progressed have left many of us on RK2 to feel like were just 'fending for our own'. And plotlines that are getting serious love are going on rk1 and progressing at their own speed while were waiting to hear back from the ICC guy for almost 3 months now. Don't get me entirely wrong, because we have met and interacted with some interesting NPC's but it seems that they are there just to chat with us, and not give us something we can sink our teeth into. Either that, or whatever their purpose is has gotten so colvoluted that its taking months just to get that one thing off the ground.

So, I gotta ask this... are our characters on rk2 just untinteresting to the ARKs? What would it take to get into some interesting hooks? Is there a magic word that were just not seeing? A secret handshake perhaps? There is so much going on, and so little of it being looked at as a whole and entire plotline that I am really wondering if there is anyone even really throwing some effort into it. I am not angry or anything, but I am rather curious as to why we appear to have been jilted by the LTC's lately.

From what I've been told around the fire, things have been on a descending spiral for quite some time now, and since the legionnaires tried to have their way on RK, nothing really meaty has happened since. In the meantime, there are some of us chomping at the bit with some real whoppers of our own, but it just seems that things are rather overlooked.

The straw that got me the most was when Aideen Landau appears to have just /quit in the middle of the CoT meeting. Where I come from, leaving the gaming table is kinda rude. Especially, if you didnt even give a reason.

Since the onset of this particular thread, I've been kinda internalizing exactly what the deal is, considering many of the roleplaying community in general have come to a consensus that things are not well in river city, and no ARKs are talking about how this is so, and why.

Can we have a conference on this, or??? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    these are long posts you know......

enough said ^^

If you feel the original posts were so long.. why did you JUST quote the whole thing without any comment? You have any suggestions or ideas? The original posts have a lot of points both good and bad. Any comments other than they are long?
    Dr. Alexsey Tereskov, Major, Medical Services
    Omni-Tek Armed Forces, Urban Division

OT-AF Urban Division

I like the game, and its story, i PvE, i PvP, i do silly stuff with friends and for sure i would participate in cool events involving RP when i can, the other day i wasn't doing anything i got in the mid of the Neutral rights day manifestation (not actually knowing what was going around) and spent several minutes debating the whole Omni-neutral situation.

The role playing community may not be that big, but a lot of non RPers also like to know and see the happenings of the RK plot and storyline every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterwind View Post
    If you feel the original posts were so long.. why did you JUST quote the whole thing without any comment? You have any suggestions or ideas? The original posts have a lot of points both good and bad. Any comments other than they are long?
    No.

-Newsflash is pretty depressing - something happens on RK1 only, so not only have I missed it, but I've missed it by a server difference. Someone needs to release teasers to events on this, so people know something is planned, and know roughly when its going to happen. Unrealistic, but come on - I don't think I've ever seen anyone RP in SL (barring a tour) and certainly not near any hecks.

- ARK usage of a Bot to send warnings that events are happening (or about to happen) would be nice. In fact, ARK warning that anything was going on would be nice. Last time I saw anyone in blue (3 weeks ago), they were being accosted by someone thinking they haX0r'd their name. I RP'd a bit, and sent a polite ((tell)) asking whether an event was happening or not.

No reply, the ARK just walked into Bor and didn't do anything for 15 mins I sat there twiddling my thumbs, nothing seemed to be happening. I wandered off, bored.

Same thing happened in OA.

Some kind of time table / head's up has to be going on - relying on the random population is all well and good, but you need access to actors / a crowd to start it off.

Other than that, Char transfers are about to go live. RP on RK2 is a bit dead (sorry NRPB) - I might migrate to somewhere where events at least are getting some love.

ok-- you guys want them to announce events via bots-- which they cant even use, or tell you what is going on with an OOC tell- which they cant respond to.

Hum...

You might want to check out this a bit.. it has good info and may explain why you arent getting a response when you are OOC to a strictly IC character...

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=467592

It also I think addresses you SL comment as well...
    Dr. Alexsey Tereskov, Major, Medical Services
    Omni-Tek Armed Forces, Urban Division

OT-AF Urban Division

Ok LTCs, "the blue names" walking around, do not break character. So sending them a tell asking if an event is about to happen isn't going to work or get any responce. To quote for the LTC thread in Rimor Buzz, "...these individuals are residents of the planet. Their lives and personalities reflect this. In other words. They NEVER go out of character. So please remember that when dealing with them."

Also keep in mind just because a LTC is on, does not mean an event is going to happen. There's has been a LTC on like everyday for the past few weeks. Most of the time when a LTC is on they are just there to talk and walk around. If you want to RP with them just walk up and talk to them, that's what they are there for. Just remebmer to stay IC.

Currently there is a player system in the works to help alert players as to when events are happening, when LTCs are on, and whatever else might be going on that is RP related. It was running fine before the last few patches, then the bot bugged out. But it should be back up and running soon.

So the professional program isnt the only thing that is dying.. sad to see
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Staying in character is commendable.

Staying in character and not actively encouraging RP / events is just retarded.

Its like creating content, but hiding it where perhaps 5 players will ever find it. Do I have time to spend constantly searching through OA / Bor etc for a blue name who may or most likely won't be RPing something fun?

No.

Do I expect a blue name to mean that maybe... just maybe something non-grind like will happen?

Yes.

And I've never seen an RP event organised by FC on RK2. Plain and simple. Spawning mobs in a city doesn't count. Oh. wait. I did once see one in OA, we were all supposed to go somewhere and kill some omni, but nothing happened. I mean literally. We got organised for ages, went somewhere but there weren't any omni to kill. So we all left.

RK1 at least has events. Knowing that *something* is going to happen prior to it happening is vital - otherwise anyone vaguely interested is in the middle of SL missing it, and just gets to read about it on the newsflash. Basic fact - there's not enough server population to spontaneously generate mass events, let alone a mass populace who get what RP is anymore.

Thus the guy asking 'did you hack your name' rather than knowing what a blue name meant - and the toon was level 209 / 12. Blue names or events are so uncommon they're not even recognised anymore.
    Last edited by Pip; Aug 26th, 2007 at 19:07:18.

Good posts - aside from the usual waste-of-space trolls.

My view on RP stuff is that it just isn't visible.
    Gawd knows I play the game enough, am online an insane amount of time, and yet I get very, very little clue that any RPing is going on at all.

I don't particularly look for it, but if whatever there is passes under my radar then I know the same goes for the majority of players. Which is a shame, as I for one would be interested at least in bystanding and maybe taking part from time to time.

Once or twice I have seen blue-names walking through bor. They are usually being hassled by players wanting to know what they are doing or how they get a blue name etc, but their strict in-character replies leave the majority confused. Especially when nothing happens except the person walks into an apartment block and that's the end of it.

A simple "I'm roleplaying- see this thread..." type macro would be a start.

An rpc event bot would be good, as has already been suggested, so at least those interested can hear of stuff happening.

I know how hard it is to RP, having played many RL RPGs and even the odd LARP, but it must be nigh on impossible, not to mention heroically unrewarding, when 90% of your audience has no clue what you are doing.

The mechanism and channels for the RP information must be primarily in-game. Not many people read these forums, and can you blame them when the mods leave them in the state this forum is usually in. And that won't change. Unless I get to be a mod :-).

LoR should be a home for news and opinions on RK2 RP. But the unmoderated attention-seeking tosspots and their sycophants that make up the majority of posts here make for a small and unhelpful audience and keep many potential viewers away.

Rimor Buzz is OK for chatlogs of events and copies of ingame stuff, but the bulk of RP should be done in-game and in such a fashion that everyone online at the time knows it is happening.

Here's hoping there's life yet in RK2 role playing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast