Thread: Jet Pack (Actual Flight)

Jet Pack (Actual Flight)

Before the flames, or the "impossibility" comments. I would like to ask if anyone has ever played Tribes, or Tribes 2. One of the greatest things in that game was the use of Jet Packs. And I think they implimented it perfectly.

I would like to ask if anyone besides myself would actually enjoy something like that in AO.

I personally would LOVE to have AO's PvP/PvM system somehow jive with a functional, in combat Jet Pack. But I don't imagine anyone would ever really consider it (Still hoping), and I would hate to deal with the flames.

So Instead...

How about an item, or nano. That when worn/cast allows you to (when not hovering your mouse over a useable item) slowly start to "fly" with your right mouse button. It would of course use your nano in the process. And whether it would be useable while in combat, or not would be up to the devs/players. Camera angle, and direction could still be controlled in the same way while jetting.

Why a Flight Pack instead of a "Hover Board/Yalm"? So when you use it from just the ground, you slowly go up, picking up more speed, while loosing nano.

If you were to be running, and jumped, with your jet pack, you would still be traveling at the same speed, in the same direction. Able to slowly change your direction, at the cost of nano.

It would not be like meta wings, or yalms. When you stop "jetting" (or run out of nano) you stop going up, or to the side. You just start to fall in the direction you were falling, at that speed. Till you hit the ground. Where you can either stop or keep running.

Could be used for getting on top of buildings, flying over mobs, avoiding bridges. Not having to run around a big object, ect ect. Or if you were to fall, and happened to have it equipped/quickly enough jetted, maybe make it back to where you fell from.

Would you have people on top of buildings shooting you? Yea. But if it was not allowed "in combat" it would be no different then a yalm. Once that person got on top of a building, they would have to recharge their nano anyways. People could still be rootable/perkable/stunable ect while jetting, just like a yalm.

People would use it to run away, yea. But its not a rocket booster, if you have them on follow you can do what/as they do. Or root them. Or follow them from the ground and hope you catch them with no nano.

Well, this is a wall of text, will be amazed if anyone reads it all the way through. No flames please. If you think of a problem, try to think of a solution to go along with it. Generally there are solutions. 8p

WTB Tribes Style Jet Pack's for Anarchy Online! (Maybe in combat too 8p)

Edit: This would not be something that lets you jet for 1 minute solid. You get a couple good seconds of thrust before your nano is gone, (unless you have loads of nano). And the cost is expensive.

Edit: This is the future supposedly. 8p
    Last edited by Wantsumore; Mar 14th, 2009 at 23:16:39.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Holy crap, this thread made me want to go play Tribes.

And yes, it would be a very nice thing to have indeed. I'm assuming the jetpack would be a back item, no?

off-topic edit: http://www.tribesnext.com <--- holy crap yes
    Last edited by gergiskoo; Mar 14th, 2009 at 23:59:02.

I assumed it would be a backpack or a nano.

Backpack because a fixer with its back item and jet abilities = zmg.

Nano because a fixer giving up their back item, and an enforcer givin gup their back item result in two different things.

I would rather it be a back item though, because it would force people to make choices. Having two good options like a fixer, shouldnt be much of a problem. 8p
    Last edited by Wantsumore; Mar 15th, 2009 at 00:31:27.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Game already got gayer with the chair, do not want jetpacks.

sorry man, don't want to ruin your kd ratio or nothin

Very easy to implement now, but very hard to fix the bugs.

All it would need to do is hit you with knockback (coming from behind) so that you fly forward through the air.
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

Not enough knockbacks around to be an issue. But if it's something you are worried about it shouldnt be too hard to have an "affected by" ncu block the jet pack action.

Or like I said earlier, just have it as a non-combat tool.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

thing with enabling combat while in flight is pet users. I'm sure everyone sees the xployt now.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Don't missunderstand, this is not something you can use to hover for any length of time. You can use it while running to jump, jet, and get on top of a building. (Or over some mobs for example). At which point, you would be out of nano (or mostly out of nano).

The most someone could do is "jump up" and jet up, steer a little. And be out of nano. At which point, they fall back down, or manage to get somewhere "safer". Ranged can still blast em out of the sky, melee just have to wait, or follow them.

Would post a link of the original jet packs and how they worked (minus the skiing) But tribes is so old and there are so many mods that its hard to find an good example of an original "basic" jet maneuver.

Edit: Btw Gerg, did you get that working? I can't seem to get it up and running. I am on vista though. 8x
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu