Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hardware info

Hardware info

This new hardware being installed atm, what kind of hardware is it exactly and what kind of improvement will we see?

I had this wet dream of being able to run through OA without stopping for 5 seconds every 10 feet to load peoples and surroundings. That will never happen though.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

actually is'nt that client side? server wont help that.
    Nanomage Meta-Physicist : Squad Commander [Famous Last Words] [RK2]
    Interested in applying? [Click Here]

yes yes, wtb tech specs on this new farm we are gonna be playing in a few days.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    This new hardware being installed atm, what kind of hardware is it exactly and what kind of improvement will we see?
    Turbo Hamsters
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Still laughing
    AO's MOTD
    There does seem to be problems with the internet itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Too good!

Halp, I can't breathe!
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

lol at all the hamsters

Wtb info on hardware update
    Veteran of Equilibrium

instead of the hamsters running around a wheel they are now getting treadmills, as FC has had recent problems with punctures on there wheels.

I really think they are just adding restraints to the wheels to keep the poor little guys from falling out/escaping.
    Decedent 124/AI 7 Adventurer
    Lacunapsyco 130/AI 8 Doctor
    Lacunasoul 220/AI 14 Meta-Physicist
    Lunatic359 182/AI 7 Fixer
    Psyco359 164/AI 17 Engineer
    Gummieworm 88/AI 2 Soldier

I had this wet dream of being able to run through OA without stopping for 5 seconds every 10 feet to load peoples and surroundings. That will never happen though.
    Those stops is a client side problem, not server side. So they can upgrade servers to kingdom come without it helping you with the issue you describe.

The "stops" you are encountering is your client loading textures and resources from your harddrive into ram. People with fast systems are experiencing much less problems of this kind.

I experienced it somewhat myself, till I upgraded to Vista (better non-blocking disk handling than XP), and another noticeable improvement when getting an even faster harddisk (10000 rpm Raptor). Rest of my system remained the same (3GHz P4, 2GB ram, ATI Radeon X800XT 256MB).

Why are we experiencing the "stops" ? It's the result of client design done when the game was made. Some changes to it was done last year to improve on the issue, but there is always room for improvement, albeit probably quite hard to do as a result of "sins" from the games original design.

Regards
    - Emp
    Last edited by Emporium; Aug 7th, 2007 at 15:22:19.
    Emporium (220/16 Broken)
    Judgejones (220 Adv), Heroess (217 Fix), Sgtsnorkel (215 Sol), Atrocious (215 Enf), Nanostim (212 Doc), TommyBALL (206 NT), Papirtiger (104 Crat), + a bunch of others

"I'll reveal that Traders are among the top professions on my personal concern list." - Cz
    "Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games." - Marius Enge

I agree, upgrade your Pc.. i did and noticed huge improvements.

New PSU (for power)
    New gfx card
    New sata hard drive fast rpm/sata connection, with huge mb cache.

Though, it might improve lag?.. if they have a new connection at their end pushing out more power?..

Other than that the biggest improvment you can make is improving your pc than proboblies FC improving theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdogg421 View Post
    I didn't know they were implementing a new chat protocol!

On topic:
    I think that we will see less of the mobs sloping around, teleporting here and there while in fight.
    I hope we will get less overall lag.

Clarification: "graphics lag" isn't lag, it's poor graphics engine performance. (client side). Several workarounds are available, like loading AO into a ramdrive.. Sil mentioned they would be working on improving the gfx engine though, and I honestly can't wait to see that happening
    Last edited by Demoder; Aug 7th, 2007 at 15:25:56.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by legion84 View Post
    I agree, upgrade your Pc.. i did and noticed huge improvements.

New PSU (for power)
    New gfx card
    New sata hard drive fast rpm/sata connection, with huge mb cache.

Though, it might improve lag?.. if they have a new connection at their end pushing out more power?..

Other than that the biggest improvment you can make is improving your pc than proboblies FC improving theirs.
    no no that is all wrong.
    if u want more performance in AO u will need:
    A CPU with MAX mhz, dualcore is prefered.
    Then u will need all the RAM u can put in ur machine.
    And then u need a lightning fast Harddisk
    SSD come to my mind, or that 10k rpm raptor disk.

That will boost the performance in AO

The best option would be to run ao off a ram drive. But since ao is over 3 gig now you will need a 64 bit os and at least 6 gigs of ram to do it.

Anyone tried running ao off a fast flash drive?

Didn't someone try with loading up AO on a ramdrive? *confused about wth it is*

Was something that made that dude zone almost instantly atleast

So I take it no one knows what kind of hardware upgrade FC are making atm and what effects we can expect from that?

This is a bit semantics but I would say the "stopping" problem is the graphics engine and not the system I got. Sure it can get better if I buy a new computer but if the graphics engine wasn't 90% poo then this game should have been running smoothly many years ago.

If AO still don't run smoothly on a system that was state of the art 4 years after AO was released then I wouldn't say the problem is my system but the graphics engine.

I have 3.2 ghz, 2gig ram, Geforce 6800GT 256 MB and blablablabla.

If you can run any modern mmorpg with no "stops" like these but you cant run AO that is over 6 years old on the same system.. then AO is the problem, not my system. I understand fully that a server upgrade wont solve that problem but I do want to know more about this upgrade. It must be improving some kind of performance or they wouldn't do it. Im guessing the uninformed answer would be "lag" but I need to know what hardware we are talking about here. Is it parts of the servers, is it the entire servers, is it the network components. If this helps lag then what kind of lag are we talking? Doorlag? Zoning? Rubberbanding?

I just find it strange that there is a hardware upgrade and no one knows wtf it is Yet everyone goes "yeeey hardware upgrade!"

I know that any kind of upgrade can only be positive but I want to know exactly what it is
    Veteran of Equilibrium

I'm sorry to disappoint you love, but they will never tell you what kind of hardware their server farms are running. Nor how many servers each farm has, what bandwidth they have or any other revealing info about their servers. All they'll tell is that it probably generates alot of heat and that the techs doing the hardware work probably will sweat while doing it
    Fjording, 220/22 Doc
    Sevaline, 215/12 MP
    Clavi, 219/22 NT

So I take it no one knows what kind of hardware upgrade FC are making atm and what effects we can expect from that?

This is a bit semantics but I would say the "stopping" problem is the graphics engine and not the system I got. Sure it can get better if I buy a new computer but if the graphics engine wasn't 90% poo then this game should have been running smoothly many years ago.

If AO still don't run smoothly on a system that was state of the art 4 years after AO was released then I wouldn't say the problem is my system but the graphics engine.

I have 3.2 ghz, 2gig ram, Geforce 6800GT 256 MB and blablablabla.

If you can run any modern mmorpg with no "stops" like these but you cant run AO that is over 6 years old on the same system.. then AO is the problem, not my system. I understand fully that a server upgrade wont solve that problem but I do want to know more about this upgrade. It must be improving some kind of performance or they wouldn't do it. Im guessing the uninformed answer would be "lag" but I need to know what hardware we are talking about here. Is it parts of the servers, is it the entire servers, is it the network components. If this helps lag then what kind of lag are we talking? Doorlag? Zoning? Rubberbanding?

I just find it strange that there is a hardware upgrade and no one knows wtf it is Yet everyone goes "yeeey hardware upgrade!"

I know that any kind of upgrade can only be positive but I want to know exactly what it is
    You've obviously never been around when I make an upgrade to my system. Unless of course your a member of my local fire department or crisis hotline.

Is it parts of the servers, is it the entire servers, is it the network components.
    As far as I understand we are talking brand new servers, as in entire servers.

However don't quote me on that, I have been mistaken before and I am sure I will be again. Only thing however I do know is what DB software they use, and nope I am not telling.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast