Thread: What am I supposed to do to survive in this situation?

What am I supposed to do to survive in this situation?

I'm playing my 130ish MA on a solo mission. I have about 3300 hps.

I'm fighting an orange NT mob. He's only hitting me for 150 so I'm pacing myself and the NT is losing badly.

I know enough to keep myself near max hps at all times vs NTs. So after it's hit me 4 times (600 damage), I start to heal myself. I get a message saying that Nanobots are unable to execute.

A couple lines down from that, I'm nuked for 2400 and it double hits (lag related?) me a couple more times for 150 and all my buffs scroll by and I realize that I'm dead.

My problem is this:

1) How often does lag have to kill you before Funcom will synchronize damage between the client and the server?

2) Why do mobs get to deal melee/ranged damage while they are casting nano's?

3) I presume the healing nano failure is because the game had decided that I was dead already. I've never seen that particular message before.

Lag and crashes is why I'm going to cancel my account again. It's too bad because there aren't any other MMORPG's that I want to play that are on the market right now.

This is going to sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

Lag is a way of life in ALL MMRPGs. Period. Better get used to it, or move on.

I've dealt with lag in EQ (where the results are far more serious than AO), DAoC, and even games like D2 and NWN. AO certainly has it's downside in this regard, but compared to the above (except maybe for NWN), it's far more "user friendly" when it comes to lag deaths and the like.

FC certainly does have some client/server issues (like the oh-so-annoying special timers), but so does everyone else. This sort of thing has happened to all of us at some point. You just have to get past it and go on with the game.

Pretty simple, since it is just a game after all.

Yep. sometimes my computer lags and kills itself without the internet. If you thought computers were some sort of super-stable fortress of lag-less fun, welcome to the unstable shack in the backwaters of Rubi-Ka, where lag is fatal.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Lag, bugs, etc. all suck. Sorry you got screwed.

I have no idea why people tell you to get used to it or leave. You just came here to let off a little steam. That is why the forum is here. Imagine this buggy game without a place to vent. The planet of Ruki-Ka would be empty.

Ya, it is just a game and a game should be FUN.

Shake it off, ignore people who don't understand the point of your post and get a new mission.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

What type of connection do you have?
    I have DSL and I'm only half a mile to the BellSouth switching station which has only one hop to a major Internet backbone so I hardly ever get lag in a mission. Perhaps once every other day.
    There are methods of optimizing your connection depending on what type it is.

Arrow Re: What am I supposed to do to survive in this situation?

Originally posted by Terradrim
    1) How often does lag have to kill you before Funcom will synchronize damage between the client and the server?

2) Why do mobs get to deal melee/ranged damage while they are casting nano's?

3) I presume the healing nano failure is because the game had decided that I was dead already. I've never seen that particular message before.
    1) Whilst there are some sync issues FC could probably improve, they acn in no way shape or form 'fix' them - that's a large network for you I'm afraid (and the Internet sure is large ).

2) They don't, but lag can make it appear as if they do.

3) Possibly, either that or your last heal had got 'stuck' - that's one of those ones FC should be able to improve btw... If this happens (nano cast bar stuck on), then you usually need to cast a different nano first before casting that one again. Can be *very* annoying...

What you experienced are not just lag, its two common bugs introduced by 14.4 (or some patch later).

1) "nanobots are busy". Seen this often, happens mostly on the first execution for some reason, but I've managed to heal after getting this message. Try to move left/right a few times as this seems to break the deadlock.

2) Double hit by mob after nano. Happens after every nanoexecution from a mob (heal,debuff,nuke whatever). Asked for a confirmation on this bug a while ago from Cz, but have not received an answer yet. One of the hits does not trigger response from reflect/damage shields. Have several screenshots of this.

My best advice would be to do a test heal and keep first aid kits ready at all times.

I'm SO glad enforcer mobs dont cast nanos while fighting...

Edit) Darkbane: Your 2) is a bug. Its even consistent and not situation dependent. I think it was introduced somethimes after 14.4
    Last edited by Snublefot; Sep 9th, 2002 at 15:09:46.

Arrow

Hmm, it may be server side latency in getting the messages out, or even double-sending the same message... Will pay mor attention when it next happens...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper