Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: increase melee range

Quote Originally Posted by dododo2 View Post
    Being a professional and all, I guess you know what profs have what buffs, and what profs have roots/snares..

..don't you?

Look, I know we could all go and roll fixers.. and we'd probably be a lot happier too. Many have rolled ranged toons, others have just quit AO altogether. But, some of us still hope that our melee toons will be able to function properly in this game.
    carefully read what i say, for my words never mean what you may imply.

FC has always stated PVP is about team and guild situations. not one vs one. if you dont have a root/snare you then do this thing called "working together" with someone who does.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    I dunno what other meaning can be in 'get a faster runspeed then, and/or utilize roots/snares. and move on' Didn't sound like you were saying 'work as a team' anyhow.
    Dodo0 220/30 Clan NM Fixer - the first in AO!
    Dododo1 220/30 Retired
    Fixzorr 75/8 Retired PvP vid

EX-President of SPARTANS
    Guide to raiding Pande

- currently inactive -

FC has always stated PVP is about team and guild situations. not one vs one. if you dont have a root/snare you then do this thing called "working together" with someone who does.
    FC may "State" that PvP is about teams, but reality is with the current title mechanics, FC discourage people from teaming. Whether that is right or wrong, choice or necessity is irrelevant, fact is title system stops a large number of people from teaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Loul View Post
    FC may "State" that PvP is about teams, but reality is with the current title mechanics, FC discourage people from teaming. Whether that is right or wrong, choice or necessity is irrelevant, fact is title system stops a large number of people from teaming.
    I work in team pretty good and yet, I'm unteamed. There is no need to actualy team someone to "work as a team".

I see lots of melee people around me using my ability to stun or root people. The kill might not be mine, but what a hell, it's fun.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Counterweight

Flags Visible, Can Be Template Item
    Can Carry, Wear, Can Wear With Social Armor
    Patch 15.6.1
    QL 1
    Change QL:
    Type Perk

Requirements

To Equip User Profession == Adventurer or
    User Profession == Enforcer or
    User Profession == Shade or
    User Profession == 0

Check it out.

Full frontal -> Range 20 m
    Confinement - > Range 20 m
    I don't see MA's/Keepers in that list, please try again.
    Maopic 2202670
    Mypetrocks 2202370
    Drmao 2202467
    Sirmao 1741242
    General of Asgard

Quote Originally Posted by maopic View Post
    I don't see MA's/Keepers in that list, please try again.
    But I see Adventurer, Enforcer and Shade and they are melee.

Req. attack skill is odd tho. It should be changed.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

But I see Adventurer, Enforcer and Shade and they are melee.

Req. attack skill is odd tho. It should be changed.
    Yet you quoted dododo2... that's an MA.
    Maopic 2202670
    Mypetrocks 2202370
    Drmao 2202467
    Sirmao 1741242
    General of Asgard

Quote Originally Posted by maopic View Post
    Yet you quoted dododo2... that's an MA.
    So what? The "melee world" is not revolving around MAs only.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

bump for a fix of any kind to the 1st post in this thread !

Not like anyone could ever land counterweight perks on anyone ever though. Ever ever
    Mazdawk 220/20 Advy

First of all this is the main reason i quit AO .. the stupid desyncronization because of an old game engine. So i couldn't stay and watch this kind of thread without saying anything.
    For players like MPs and NTs who got alot of love lately, making some improvements for melee classes regarding desync is like taking their toys. You are nothing but whiners, sry to say that but when i see ppl that want to have an overall advantage and want to keep it that way because they don't like to die, it makes me puke. Instead of accepting a challenge u choose the easy way.. very nice pvp spirit..

Anyway... looking at all kind of other games including WoW, there is something FC should also take into consideration: SPEED
    There isn't any other game (except EVE-Online) in which characters have so much speed when they are moving. Because AO is an old engine, the data procesing and the world rendering is done very slow when ppl are just "flying around". Not to mention the CPU is the main renderer. So you want fast building textures, models, calculations, data transmissions from 1 CPU? (maybe 2).
    For example take 50 vs 50 players encounters on a towersite. What happens when 1 side rushes the others? yeah the game almost freezes. Same reason. There is too much data transmission at once because of the speed. Haven't u ever heard some raid leader telling the raid to walk? Do u know why? yeah because of the speed. CPU has more time to load stuff.
    Nobody is perfect, I'm Nobody

Dont have the energy to read all previous posts atm but BUMP for a fix of the sync issues in PVP(and other places). It really gets to me when I try to pvp.
    Sleincour 220/30/70 Opifex Martial Artist
    Patientis 220/28 Solitus Doctor
    Ingha 220/30 Solitus Bureaucrat
    Zizzla 150/20 Opifex Martial Artist
    Grobian 142/12 Atrox Enforcer
    Svengoran 127/15 Atrox Soldier
    Illxlll 102/10 Nanomage Nanotechnician
    Psicharpax 100/6 Nanomage Metaphysicist
    Sleina 100/7 Opifex Fixer

Veteran of the Scandinavian RK1 clan guild ..:Nordic Alliance:..

Quote Originally Posted by Taikwandodo View Post
    First of all this is the main reason i quit AO .. the stupid desyncronization because of an old game engine. So i couldn't stay and watch this kind of thread without saying anything.
    For players like MPs and NTs who got alot of love lately, making some improvements for melee classes regarding desync is like taking their toys. You are nothing but whiners, sry to say that but when i see ppl that want to have an overall advantage and want to keep it that way because they don't like to die, it makes me puke. Instead of accepting a challenge u choose the easy way.. very nice pvp spirit..

Anyway... looking at all kind of other games including WoW, there is something FC should also take into consideration: SPEED
    There isn't any other game (except EVE-Online) in which characters have so much speed when they are moving. Because AO is an old engine, the data procesing and the world rendering is done very slow when ppl are just "flying around". Not to mention the CPU is the main renderer. So you want fast building textures, models, calculations, data transmissions from 1 CPU? (maybe 2).
    For example take 50 vs 50 players encounters on a towersite. What happens when 1 side rushes the others? yeah the game almost freezes. Same reason. There is too much data transmission at once because of the speed. Haven't u ever heard some raid leader telling the raid to walk? Do u know why? yeah because of the speed. CPU has more time to load stuff.

wow! its great to hear we finally found the source of all problems here... who'da thought it was something as simple as "its old" would be the culprit!

you've really saved the day here!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

I play a fixer a shade and an agent.. guess witch one gets the outa range msg the most? sure the fixer might get some "your outa range" msg's but then again i can just run up a few paces and i blow them away.. the agent wow hah yeah if you get outa range msg's on your agent your doing something very very wrong :P

I agree that 10 meters is way to much would be like one of those extendy boxing glove things you see on cartoons.. but 2-3 would make it so when im on my shade and /following an agent that i can actully perk them when im right on top of them.. its nothing really game breaking unless your a dirty bastard that likes to keep stuff unfair..

Btw it might sound like all i play is melee but really i bearly do anymore :P (because my shade sucks and this doesnt help ><)

Edit: lolol why is a proffesional flaming in this thread like a noob thats only played 2-3 months?

wow! its great to hear we finally found the source of all problems here... who'da thought it was something as simple as "its old" would be the culprit!

you've really saved the day here!
    Your sarcasm fails really... if u are just going to be sarcastic because u don't have an issue with ur MP, then u're nothing but one of those "skilled" players who are based on profession advantage and no skill.. gg..
    Nobody is perfect, I'm Nobody

Well guys it is quite simple for me... If FC release to modify the range of melee upwards, then dmg output of melee chars should be nerfed a bit... We all now that generally melee chars deals more dmg then ranged ones (I do not count soljas, thats another story) as their disadvantage is low range and higher dmg compensate it. I used to be a melee on my advy from 1-220 but I decided to nerf my dmg and went ranged as I wanted to enjoy standing at one place and just fire around without need of running (I was too lazy to run...).

I have to say that my ranged perks suxx (thats a well-known fact) in comparrison with melee ones and thats why I am speaking about this. If you want to improve the range you should consider that it would not be ok to let your dmg output how it is now. As for now, melee perks hits harder (and thats quite ok as it is much harder to land them properly) and on the other hand range ones are weaker as you can land them from the distance.

I can understand you melee guys, who want to change this thing but you have to understand that melee range changes without tweaks of your dmg output (in pvp) would totally ruin the six year old concept. So in my opinion you have to choose between higher range with smaller dmg output and lower range with dmg how it is today. It is not acceptable for me to have both - higher range with the same dmg from perks.

Just my two cents.
    Stabajzna 220/30 Vanguard, Proud veteran of Czech Anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabajzna View Post
    Well guys it is quite simple for me... If FC release to modify the range of melee upwards, then dmg output of melee chars should be nerfed a bit... We all now that generally melee chars deals more dmg then ranged ones (I do not count soljas, thats another story) as their disadvantage is low range and higher dmg compensate it. I used to be a melee on my advy from 1-220 but I decided to nerf my dmg and went ranged as I wanted to enjoy standing at one place and just fire around without need of running (I was too lazy to run...).

I have to say that my ranged perks suxx (thats a well-known fact) in comparrison with melee ones and thats why I am speaking about this. If you want to improve the range you should consider that it would not be ok to let your dmg output how it is now. As for now, melee perks hits harder (and thats quite ok as it is much harder to land them properly) and on the other hand range ones are weaker as you can land them from the distance.

I can understand you melee guys, who want to change this thing but you have to understand that melee range changes without tweaks of your dmg output (in pvp) would totally ruin the six year old concept. So in my opinion you have to choose between higher range with smaller dmg output and lower range with dmg how it is today. It is not acceptable for me to have both - higher range with the same dmg from perks.

Just my two cents.
    I can only agree with what you are saying, but...

The current scaling between damage and range is based upon the assumption that people are able to land their attacks when you are within (visible) range.
    Trouble is that due to lag you can not land your attacks even if you are visibly standing on top of your opponent.

What I think they could try to do is change melee range upwards by 1 meter (On test ofc), then see how that works out, if it's not enough then 1 more meter and so on, until something appropriate compromise is found.
    Upping range straight away to 10 meters or something like that would be ludicrous.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I'm not sure where this magic 10m number came from, I think the majority of us would be happy (aside from fixing the lag) with an extra 1m or 2m.. we're not asking to be made ranged.
    and regarding melee vs ranged damage, that gap narrows every day.
    Maopic 2202670
    Mypetrocks 2202370
    Drmao 2202467
    Sirmao 1741242
    General of Asgard

Bumpage + some late night rambling...

This is a Science Fiction MMO, and within that context, melee classes in year 29500 should have slightly larger range than just "arm length + weapon"... And why do melee perks have to be the same range as melee weapons? Before you (ranged) guys start ranting & raving, this is a purely rhetorical question... (When done reading this post you will prolly need more ammo or a bigger flamethrowers anyhow...)

For those of you that cannot figure out the runspeed issue, try to imagine one large and one small circle, each with a target "dot" in center. The problem isn't the difference in speed. It is the fact that the faster they BOTH move, the small circle has a radically less chance of being within valid range of target than the big circle, at least for a long enough time to fire off perks and attacks. I play this game to relax and have fun, not to get tennis elbow and wankers wrists from molesting my keyboard...

"Get more runspeed" isn't a solution. Players do not move along the same axis (same direction) - they move in three! X, Y & Z movement / direction changing + random lag/sync issues = a HUGE problem for the melee classes compared to ranged. If you cannot see and acknowledge that, then I am at loss...

I hope FC is testing a SLIGHTLY higher melee range on test server, including melee specific perks. I am thinking of a 25 - 40% increase, ie. 1-2m as quite a few has mentioned. It would be well within Nanobots and Science Fiction context range... And NO damage nerf would be needed, because what we are seeing now is hardware/software related problems that shift balance in favor of ranged classes. What is that, if not a nerf...

Taking into accounts the limitations in game engine and internet lag / ping issues in general, increasing any range just a little will affect gameplay, server sync and CPU workload. I gotta say that a sniper rifle with 40m range is giiiiimp when compared to RL, but this is a GAME. The purpose of this game is to entertain -> which is why certain limitations and rules have to apply. Some of those are aimed at solving or evading technical limitations.

As a matter of fact, with evades now being less effective, I would rather see a range decrease for ranged classes than an increase for melee... It might help people stay alive longer, will reduce lagg & ease up on hardware workload. The fact that you ranged classes experience this problem as well, tells me that it is a very serious matter. Introducing new items and more variables to calculate, thus more data to send back and forth, that is NOT the solution.

Buffing isn't fun. Neither is being killed even or losing battles due to lagg or the fact that you chose the wrong profession...

I want the fun back! Plzzz, FC: Do something!

Btw:
    Have been on a lil break the last few days... Are the new servers up and running? And if so: Has any1 noticed an improvement?
    Proud Member of The Roots ----- Neut 4 Ever!! ----- Oh, btw: Here's The Story of Stuff & the Most Terrifying Video You'll Ever See.
    My goons: Luzengie 220/30/70 engie ----- Luziciona 220/30/70 MA ----- Luzolja 220/30/70 Sold ----- Fixxii 220/30/70 Fix ----- Nerfentehs 200/29/62 NT ----- Luztrox 200/30/68 Doc ----- Luzargh 199/22 Shade ----- Keepluzia 174/24 Keep ----- Luzidoxa 150/20 Doc ----- Luzee 150/10 Shade ----- Bancorotta 150/20 MA ----- Luzillian & Luzimeta 60/6 MPs ----- Luzibank 45/5 Enfo ----- Luztrader 32/3 Trader

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast