Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: increase melee range

not really - i don't get much damage from perks, most damage comes from fists - by far, there's really no comparison between fist & perk damage for ma's anyway

no matter what you say though, it remains a broken mechanic in need of fix, and I see no reason why they couldn't adjust weapon & perk range independently
    Last edited by Vlain; Jun 27th, 2007 at 14:55:27.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

I think the problem is much bigger than it's led on to be in this thread... it's also not just a problem that 'picks on' melee professions... it affects everyone playing the game... melee are just more likely to notice it given, then proximity of their attacks... a ranged user experiencing the same problem may just think they are at 42 meters rather than the fact that they are really at 35 meters....

Through six years of playing, I have on MANY occassions been playing a ranged profession and had a player standing right next to me and been able to shoot them because they are out of range this has occured most often at Notum Wars PvP. I have also been getting the beat down on me, by melee professions while standing at what on my client shows as the back off the pack of omni, far away from any clan.

The solution you suggest is as unfair on the other side of the coin.... the player whom is running away from you, who sees himself on his screen as quite a few steps from you is still getting beaten by fists. They may even have you as synched incorrectly and see you as further than 40 meters away....

Synch issues work both way.

Funcom needs to dedicate resources to figure a better lag free means, by which to handle Synching and PvP. Even if it doesn't fix the lag... synch issues can be very frustrating... as all the posts above have a heavy sense of frustration

The suggested fix, may make PvP more fun for melee professions, but is a nerf to all ranged users and most specifically ranged support professions that are foreced to rely on a toolset that requires them not to have to tank damage.

It does make it impossible when you client doesn't know where your opponents are in multi-player combat. Regardless of whether you are the ranged opponenet showing the melee opponent well behind you and yet still getting beaten.. or are the melee opponent who's screen shows you standing on top of the ranged user and yet can't hit them....

Quote Originally Posted by el33tist View Post
    I think the problem is much bigger than it's led on to be in this thread... it's also not just a problem that 'picks on' melee professions... it affects everyone playing the game... melee are just more likely to notice it given, then proximity of their attacks... a ranged user experiencing the same problem may just think they are at 42 meters rather than the fact that they are really at 35 meters....

Through six years of playing, I have on MANY occassions been playing a ranged profession and had a player standing right next to me and been able to shoot them because they are out of range this has occured most often at Notum Wars PvP. I have also been getting the beat down on me, by melee professions while standing at what on my client shows as the back off the pack of omni, far away from any clan.

The solution you suggest is as unfair on the other side of the coin.... the player whom is running away from you, who sees himself on his screen as quite a few steps from you is still getting beaten by fists. They may even have you as synched incorrectly and see you as further than 40 meters away....

Synch issues work both way.

Funcom needs to dedicate resources to figure a better lag free means, by which to handle Synching and PvP. Even if it doesn't fix the lag... synch issues can be very frustrating... as all the posts above have a heavy sense of frustration

The suggested fix, may make PvP more fun for melee professions, but is a nerf to all ranged users and most specifically ranged support professions that are foreced to rely on a toolset that requires them not to have to tank damage.

It does make it impossible when you client doesn't know where your opponents are in multi-player combat. Regardless of whether you are the ranged opponenet showing the melee opponent well behind you and yet still getting beaten.. or are the melee opponent who's screen shows you standing on top of the ranged user and yet can't hit them....
    Yes, synch issues works both ways but not equally so, ranged toons are a LOT less affected by them, because of the extremely larger area the ranged person can cover with ranged perks...

If lag makes a person "warp" anywhere above 3 meters or so due to lag, then melee can not perk, but for the ranged person to not be able to perk, the "warp" has to be 22 meters or whatever range the ranged perk has. That is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

When I experience these "warps" on BS, they are usually (like 99% of the time) a lot smaller than that, probably just a few meters, which is enough to make me unable to perk the person I'm after, even if my screen shows I'm on top of the person or even in front of... While at the same time the ranged person could be half-way or so out of my max. possible viewdistance (40meters?) and STILL perk me...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post

If lag makes a person "warp" anywhere above 3 meters or so due to lag, then melee can not perk, but for the ranged person to not be able to perk, the "warp" has to be 22 meters or whatever range the ranged perk has. That is a SIGNIFICANT difference.
    they never truly 'warp'.... only your client doesn't stay on pace with the server. It's like that guy you see run ahead in a beast raid and then suddenly his dot disappears back to the group...

and a ranged profession running from a melee profession will equally have the same problem.... because they may think they've outrun someone who continues to pummel them.

an increase in range is a nerf to all squishy support professions.

I suppose you've never played a support profession... rooted someone across the room from you and then BAM, they've warped right next to you and your dead...

It sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by el33tist View Post
    they never truly 'warp'.... only your client doesn't stay on pace with the server. It's like that guy you see run ahead in a beast raid and then suddenly his dot disappears back to the group...

and a ranged profession running from a melee profession will equally have the same problem.... because they may think they've outrun someone who continues to pummel them.

an increase in range is a nerf to all squishy support professions.

I suppose you've never played a support profession... rooted someone across the room from you and then BAM, they've warped right next to you and your dead...

It sucks....
    I know they don't truly "warp", that's why I wrote it like I did.... However, whether it's a true warp or not, the outcome and effect is the same...

An increase in range is a nerf to everyone in the sense that everyone will be hit easier by melee professions, also melee professions.
    This is not a ranged vs. melee issue really... melee also fight other melee.
    The issue is that the lag issue effects short ranged attacks a LOT more than long ranged attacks, which I think is quite obvious.

As it was just announced today it seems that AO will be moved onto newer servers... We can hope that will help with the lag issue, but if it does not then I think they have to do something about it, I do not care what is done to help it, as long as it helps.
    As I have said before.... Fixing lag is the perfect way to solve this issue, but if that can not be fixed, then something else must be done.
    So far the only other way of helping with this issue I have heard is increasing range.

Only support prof I have played is Doc and I would not count them as squishy... But I would wish I had the option of rooting people (Grafts can only be used twice per BS round or so)... THAT would help with the lag issue too....

This is not a ranged vs. melee issue really...
    you are right... it's a damage vs support issue... some professions are not made to be hit hard... all melee professions can take damage better than MP's, Traders, NTs, and Crats can.

As it was just announced today it seems that AO will be moved onto newer servers... We can hope that will help with the lag issue, but if it does not then I think they have to do something about it, I do not care what is done to help it, as long as it helps.
    As I have said before.... Fixing lag is the perfect way to solve this issue, but if that can not be fixed, then something else must be done.
    Yep, fixing the problem for 100% of the playerbase whom are all affected at times is better than creating a work around for 25% (enf/keep/shade/MA) of the playerbase, and making PvP worse for 23% of the playerbase (crat/MP/Traders/NT)
    stats from: http://auno.org/ao/stats.php

I can't go along with this at all. The sync issues affect everyone, and as I play my keeper a bunch in BS I share the frustrations the melee people have, but on the other hand, you can't have ma's and keepers pounding docs and crats and mps and nts from 20 m away. That just isn't fair and while syncing and kiting is frustrating, melee users don't have to reload while running and can still do damage on the move.

I've had constant issues with my ranged toons thinking I was far enough away from a melee toon and all of a sudden finding myself in S&D range, or getting a backstab, etc.

Watch what happens if I'm on my crat and I send pets, I mean a player just has to hop on a platform to escape.

So while the sync issues are frustrating, increasing melee range would be highly imbalancing and any support class would be even more vulernable to instaganks than they are now.
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

nerfing ranged specials, and increase the damage ranged do from normal shots would force range to stand more still if they wanna do dmg .. just another suggestion to the sync problem, mostly melee player is on the reciving end. (fun run ahead of target spam brawl and ma attack stunn and perks, but not really when defense is nerfed and chase is suicide =P)
    woofwoof!

Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    25 m at least.
    Wish granted.
    /bump
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

This is NOT about 'warps' like the dot in pande that runs ahead..

..this is about f.ex. 2 melee profs, one runs in circles, the other follows.. nobody can perk.. if you're lucky u might hit now and then.. its pathetic.

And I am suggesting 1-2 metres increase here (obviously needs testing).. not 20 metres or whatever some ppl mentioned. It is NOT a ranged nerf, nor is it a support nerf.. (omgz just root and run a little bit further away..?? too hard??).. its just about melee having A BETTER CHANCE to hit stuff THEY SHOULD ALREADY BE HITTING. Have a think about that plz before you get all defensive..
    Dodo0 220/30 Clan NM Fixer - the first in AO!
    Dododo1 220/30 Retired
    Fixzorr 75/8 Retired PvP vid

EX-President of SPARTANS
    Guide to raiding Pande

- currently inactive -

i say...

if these people who've chosen to be melee have a need to be whats that stretch guy in fantastic 4...

then lets just equal the playingfield for all and make every single weapon in the game have a range of 50 meters.

i know i'd welcome an increased range on my nukes. oh and my pets... i'd love for them to beable to run further away from me without getting the "pets out of range" message.

yep.. this is the best solution, lets just forget about distance all together, lets make anyone beable to hit anyone no matter where they are... even across zones. now that'd be fun. multi-zone tower battles... it could be the new rage.....

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

I appreciate the type of reply from lain. Calm. Non Abusive. An example to follow.

In response, I do understand the client/server sync issue and yes, it is totally a work around. How do I know this? I do BS now on my Keeper, and run into the same problems as everyone else. He's right there, he's right there, but I just can't hit the SoB.

Aside from solving the sync issue, the only fix I see is, and I agreed with the thread starter on this, Increasing the range, just the slightest bit. Not 20-40 meters as has been suggested. That's just silly. A few, even 5 would probably put most people in range to be hit on the fly.

I just happen the think that changing the range on a slew of weapons is not going to happen. Adding an item is much more likely, and the thing has got to go somewhere.

Speaking of, hit on the fly. Thats what I actually loved about being melee. Running right past some sorry fool, hitting my specials, and all of them going off, without having to stop. A benefit ranged users don't have. The ranged attack bar doesn't even move when in motion. So there is a benefit to being Melee in that respect. Sure they can cue up all their specials and let em fly all at once when they stop, but they can't attack on the run the way Melee users can.

I don't think I need to add any thing else to this. It is beat to death now with a number of solutions. Some good. Some bad. Mine may be the worst in someones eyes, but it's the best in mine and I am all that I care about.

/harls
    Let's argue about you. It's so fun to hear all about you and the you things you do. Tell me what you want because you are the most important and only person who matters to you.

yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...
    Last edited by Vlain; Jun 28th, 2007 at 03:56:58.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    i say...

if these people who've chosen to be melee have a need to be whats that stretch guy in fantastic 4...

then lets just equal the playingfield for all and make every single weapon in the game have a range of 50 meters.

i know i'd welcome an increased range on my nukes. oh and my pets... i'd love for them to beable to run further away from me without getting the "pets out of range" message.

yep.. this is the best solution, lets just forget about distance all together, lets make anyone beable to hit anyone no matter where they are... even across zones. now that'd be fun. multi-zone tower battles... it could be the new rage.....
    1) his name is Mr. Fantastic or Reed Richard, ya jock :P

2) the items that increase range says WeaponRange, they don't say RANGED WeaponRange. or THROWN WeaponRange or HOTSEXYBEAST WeaponRange...just WeaponRange, which means they should apply to ALL weapons.

3) All weapons have a WeaponRange wether its 2 meters or 200 meters a 10% increase should affect them all.

4) Fine nanobots help your pistol shoot halfway across the continent, well those same nanobots create a field around my hammers that smacks you senseless while you hide in the building across the street from me.

5) you ever tried swinging at something while runing then shooting at something while running? Anyone can hit something while swinging and running. It takes a true markesman to shoot something while running.

6) yes my pets need new range so they can hit the mob they were supposed to be aiming for while they do thier striptease in the next room.

7) I'm a freaking diety! Fire and brimstone should be following my hammers smiting all who stand in my way.....
    Last edited by Davias; Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:34:01.
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Portulis View Post
    I can't go along with this at all. The sync issues affect everyone, and as I play my keeper a bunch in BS I share the frustrations the melee people have, but on the other hand, you can't have ma's and keepers pounding docs and crats and mps and nts from 20 m away. That just isn't fair and while syncing and kiting is frustrating, melee users don't have to reload while running and can still do damage on the move.

I've had constant issues with my ranged toons thinking I was far enough away from a melee toon and all of a sudden finding myself in S&D range, or getting a backstab, etc.

Watch what happens if I'm on my crat and I send pets, I mean a player just has to hop on a platform to escape.

So while the sync issues are frustrating, increasing melee range would be highly imbalancing and any support class would be even more vulernable to instaganks than they are now.
    bump

Excuse me, but, how can u bump something which says it doesnt agree with a 20m range increase, when this thread isn't about increasing the range by 20m. ?? That's basically 10 times more than what is suggested. Ofc it would be too much.
    Dodo0 220/30 Clan NM Fixer - the first in AO!
    Dododo1 220/30 Retired
    Fixzorr 75/8 Retired PvP vid

EX-President of SPARTANS
    Guide to raiding Pande

- currently inactive -

Bump for a range that allows us to hit without......well.... a range that lets us hit..
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

1) How long is ur arm?
    2) how long is ur sword?

This is ur range.
    Wasnt so tuff, now, was it?
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    1) How long is ur arm?
    2) how long is ur sword?

This is ur range.
    Wasnt so tuff, now, was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Davias View Post
    ...snip...
    4) Fine nanobots help your pistol shoot halfway across the continent, well those same nanobots create a field around my hammers that smacks you senseless while you hide in the building across the street from me.
    ...snip...
    Now that ain't so tuff either, now, is it?

What is Anarchy Online
    Anarchy Online (AO) is a science fiction themed massive multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG).
    I like this definition of Fiction:
    imaginative narrative in any form of presentation designed to entertain, as distinguished from that which is designed primarily to explain, argue, or merely describe; specifically, a type of literature, especially prose, as novels and short stories, but also including plays and narrative poetry.

RL != AO
    Last edited by Mekh; Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:44:21.

Oh do they really.... cause pistols today shoot farther than 50 meters...
    so nanobots must actually dampen the distance players can shoot since ranged users in game are capped at 40 meters...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast