Thread: VERY Extensive Newb Guide (Froob)

VERY Extensive Newb Guide (Froob)

Not sure if this guide has gotten any publicity or not, but I wish I had this guide starting out. It is up-to-date and a work in progress and last time I checked I think it was up to 50(ish) pages.

Anarchy Online Newbie Guide

I'm not the author of the guide, but feel like such a good newb guide needs some exposure.
    Rootcommand Level 219/28 Omni Solitus Fixer
    Diosdemuerte Level 213/18 Omni Solitus Soldier
    Dicenslice Level 220/21 Omni Atrox Keeper

~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~

Awesome guide : hats off to the author, it holds all the little tips and tricks I learned bit by bit during more 2,5 years on AO....
    Someone sticky and/or html this please .......

Must be new. I scoured gamefaqs when I started last year and found nothing useful on AO.

And yes, sticky it.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Yes, it is new and the author is good about adding content and expanding it. I read it once several months ago and then again a couple weeks ago. It had grown quite a bit just in that short time.

I read through it and its a great guide.

But it should be noted that it is really intended for Froobs.

There is virtually no mention at all on perks, SL armor/weapons, etc. I also saw a few minor errors... nothing worth noting and some outdated information. ie: Adventurer weapons (pain of patricia)

I'd say its a great start for a froob TL1-4. If you dont meet that definition you would be better served reading some other guides here pr at aouniverse.
    2004-2006, 2009 briefly. And back again in 2013 !

Quote Originally Posted by _Diemex_ View Post
    I read through it and its a great guide.

But it should be noted that it is really intended for Froobs.

There is virtually no mention at all on perks, SL armor/weapons, etc. I also saw a few minor errors... nothing worth noting and some outdated information. ie: Adventurer weapons (pain of patricia)

I'd say its a great start for a froob TL1-4. If you dont meet that definition you would be better served reading some other guides here pr at aouniverse.
    I have made the author aware that I posted the guide on the Official Forums and he is monitoring this thread; however, he does not have an account to reply to questions directly so he has asked I relay this reply.

From hahnsoo:

"The guide is a work-in-progress, and as such, it contains many errors and possibly outdated content. I would appreciate ANY feedback that you folks have. My email is listed in the guide for corrections, comments, etc.

I'd also like to note that it IS a Froob guide. Since the vast majority of the new players in AO will be Froob anyway, I felt it was appropriate to only list content that is Froob-usable. This doesn't mean that I won't recommend expansion content (some expansion content is Froob-usable), but there will be no discussion of perks or expansion-exclusive content in the guide.

There is a thriving and large Froob community that co-inhabits the world you live in. By and large, everything written about the game that is available on a Google Search focuses squarely on folks who have all expansions. This guide is written for those of us who are Froob, whether by choice, curiosity, or necessity. And yes, there are TL6 Froobs running around. I'm one of them. *cheesy grin*

On a side note: For a -froob- pistolero adventurer, it is difficult to get better damage output than a Reign/Pain of Patricia combination. I know that with expansions this is no longer the case (lordy, if I had expansions, I wouldn't be using those!), but since the guide is written in the context of Froobs in general, I stand by that recommendation. Of course, that doesn't mean they are the best pistols for a froob pistolero in all situations and contexts. I personally don't like RoP/PoP as they are slow as molasses, but I believe they are worth mentioning."

An excellent froob guide. Anything that helps keep froobs around is good in my books. They do so much for our community.

Without them our economy would be in sad shape.... and the cities would be awefully quiet.
    2004-2006, 2009 briefly. And back again in 2013 !

Bump for page 1

Another bump for page 1

Note: The author now writes articles at ao-universe.com

Very nice guide, should help out new people a lot
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

I have to bump this thread just because i'm a big fan of that guide. Print it out on a 2 sided printer, bind it, kick back and read.

Heck of a guide, that. Stuck.

Breeds
    ======
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | * Solitus is well-rounded, and can do well with any class.
    | * Opifex is agile and great for ranged combat and martial arts.
    | * Atrox is the strongest and toughest, but suffers later in nanoskills.
    | * Avoid Nanomage for your first character.
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    gah... I wish I'd had this info when I started, although I'd edit the description to "Avoid Nanomage for any character"

Great guide though, awesome job Hahnsoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrien View Post
    gah... I wish I'd had this info when I started, although I'd edit the description to "Avoid Nanomage for any character"

Great guide though, awesome job Hahnsoo!
    Nanomage is pretty much AO on Hard mode
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Why i made a trader and nt both nanomage trader sure is hard since the low hp makes it tough when draining up.

Quote Originally Posted by IT_Ninja View Post
    Not sure if this guide has gotten any publicity or not, but I wish I had this guide starting out. It is up-to-date and a work in progress and last time I checked I think it was up to 50(ish) pages.

Anarchy Online Newbie Guide

I'm not the author of the guide, but feel like such a good newb guide needs some exposure.
    That's the guide I used to get me from 1-40ish and learn the basics. I'll admit that I've since deleted all the toons I rolled in that time, but I guess that's to be expected with all the IP/profession choice mistakes you can make in AO.

I've rolled and deleted 4 engineers, 3 MA's, 3 NT's and 3 soldiers... RIP.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Another bump for a great guide

Bumpage for first page!

Thumbs up

Wow.... Amazing piece of work that guide...

Wish I had found something like that, when I started out
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Bump to keep on first page