Thread: Tips for surviving in a ground vehicle.

Lightbulb Tips for surviving in a ground vehicle.

As anyone who has a vehicle knows, you cannot unequip if attacked to defend yourself, and I was nearly killed several times by pursuing greens and yellows, until I learned to focus on a defense strategy. Hope these tips help you, as I have not died once, even to reds, since employing them.

1. Set up a quickbar for driving buffs.

2. Buffs are:
    a. shield ac buffs
    b. + hitpoints buffs
    c. runspeed buffs
    d. evade, dodge, duck buffs
    e. health and nano regeneration buffs
    f. agility buffs to jump higher

3. Take off all bracers of shielding/reflection and damage shields buffs because everytime a monster gets hit by one it restarts his chase-you-down timer.

4. Take off all aggro enhancers, since the aggro enhancers enrage your selection even if not in combat.

5. Set agg-def slider all the way to def, so you will not be spinned around to face your opponent, and it increases your evades.

6. Stay on autorun and steer with your right mouse button instead of arrows because you will turn smoother and not risk turning to far and getting into range of the monsters jaws.

7. Try to run in a straight line, even jumping over objects if you can, as monsters can pass thru alot of items even if you cant.

You may think this is alot of trouble but after a couple of runs it becomes habit and quick to set up.

Note: Don't forget to reequip your bracers and whatnot and reset the agg-def slider before next mission!
    • Shenhiroko: Martial Artist: RK1-OmniTek: Entropy Dawn Org
    • Codewitch: Nano Technician: RK1-Clan
    Main Profession: Explorer of Rubi-Ka
    Latest News:My NT is dual wielding Leet dolls until I can find Fazeka Crystal...Phear the Leets!

Not sure what level of people you are talking to here. Before lvl 20 or so the IP is too expensive to permit the use of a Kodiak (The Mid is pretty useless in outrunning something). The most important trick to stay alive in the wilderness was being alert for me, this can be a problem in areas with hills and valleys. You can spot the creature way before he can spot you and this makes it possible to take the long way. The monster upgrade to the map but also people upgrade is vital plus that you have the map of the zone to begin with

The concept of groundcars and implementation of runspeed makes groundcars almost not worth the investment in IP. Runspeed at 65 with generic +30 buff as compared to a Kodiak bonus = total 240. Will your travel times go from 10 minutes to 2,5? I have not checked this but it sure does not feel like I'm going four times faster.

Vitnirs

PS, Oh and turning the slider to full def don't turn off autoattack anymore. I have not found the syntax ingame so when they remove 14.4 patch forum I don't know where to find it.
    It's /option AutoAttackMOB 0 (and it's case-sensitive too) DS
    Last edited by Buelothe; Sep 6th, 2002 at 08:25:55.

Post Autoattack..

Look up the Options (or press F10) and see Misc. On the lower part of the menu you'll find the options for autoattack.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

DOOOHHH!

I don't know how many times I have gotten the message: Can not find option blabla with new rerolls.

Vitnirs

Ground Vehicles are not a waste of IP. I go waaay faster and I also use runbuffs as well. My Kodiak is a ql 35 and gives me over 200 runspeed bonus, on top of my +30 buff and my base runspeed which is maxed. It only cost 50k. Besides, when you upgrade to a Yalm, if ever, you can reset those IP to Vehicle Air. It helps to have vehicle skills in your implants also.

And I was not refering to any character levels, that has almost nothing to do with this. Use of a vehicle is decided mostly by credits. 50k vs 4.7 mil for the same runspeed (minus the altitude) seems a good standby until you can afford a yalm. Some professions have green vehicle skills (they are lucky ones).

And yes the agg-def slider to def has made a difference I can notice. I do have autoattack turned off but it still swivels me around to face my attacker, which I don't understand. Sliding the bar all the way to def has stopped that from happening so far.
    Last edited by Codewitch; Sep 6th, 2002 at 11:59:36.
    Latest News:My NT is dual wielding Leet dolls until I can find Fazeka Crystal...Phear the Leets!

Originally posted by Shenhiroko
    And yes the agg-def slider to def has made a difference I can notice. I do have autoattack turned off but it still swivels me around to face my attacker, which I don't understand. Sliding the bar all the way to def has stopped that from happening so far.
    You might need to turn off AutoTargetMOB as well (?)

best tip i can say is to save up to buy a yalm. =) that is to much work to try to stay alive on the ground, take to the air and leave the evil MOB's far behind.
    just my 2 cents.
    Proud member of TAG
    Zedtheknife - Keeper Equip
    Weapons I use on Zedtheknife
    Gelids
    Copy of the Excaliber
    Frost-bound Reaper
    Zed "Doczed" Dabucho Equip
    Zedthepimp MA
    Zedddd (120) Trader
    Zedthekiller (115) MP
    Zedtheone (105) Enf

And I was not refering to any character levels, that has almost nothing to do with this. Use of a vehicle is decided mostly by credits. 50k vs 4.7 mil for the same runspeed (minus the altitude) seems a good standby until you can afford a yalm. Some professions have green vehicle skills (they are lucky ones).
    Altitude isn't the only benefit of a yalm, I've heard that they have an inherent(sp?) +1000 speed buff, don't know if that's true or not. What I know is that you can't compare a yalm to a car. Try one and see it for yourself.

Personally I've never cared about cars, because I could use adv's reet form and later fixer's runspeed buff line, being an agent. Everything changed after I starved to death to buy my first yalm.

yalm do not use the normal run speed. they have some weird flying bonus. i do not know how it works but i do know that a yalm is 5X as fast as a ground speed. + you can fly =)
    Proud member of TAG
    Gelids
    Copy of the Excaliber
    Frost-bound Reaper
    Zedthepimp MA
    Zedddd (120) Trader
    Zedthekiller (115) MP
    Zedtheone (105) Enf

Alright I had to do this to see for myself. I took a route in Greater Tir County with different characters, runspeed and vehicles.

First my Fixer:
    runspeed / time
    711 (buffed) / 6'37 min
    401 (unbuffed) / 8'33 min
    572 (in Yalm) / 3'18 min

Then I took my slow NT out for a jogging trip:
    runspeed / time
    65 (buffed) / 11'28 min
    270 (in Kodiak) / 9'01 min

The Yalm was supposed to give a +171 runspeed bonus but obvioulsy gave a lot more (Nerf the Yalms!!!! ) Otherwise I don't feel that there is any point in spending IP either on Run Speed or Vehicle ground if all you care for is how long it takes to get to a mission. If you want to outrun that pesky Hammer Breeder however the difference between 65 and 270 in runspeed is a lot more real and can sure motivate a Kodiak.

Vitnirs

lol stay away from my yalm(will come looking for you Vitnirs if Funcom nerfs it hehe)
    Proud member of TAG
    Gelids
    Copy of the Excaliber
    Frost-bound Reaper
    Zedthepimp MA
    Zedddd (120) Trader
    Zedthekiller (115) MP
    Zedtheone (105) Enf

You used to be able to 'land' a Yalmaha. Just hit <backspace> and you were on the ground like a Kodiak. That's where the Runspeed buff of the Yalm came into play.

They couldn't fix some bug or some players were exploiting something, so now you can't 'drive' your Yalm anymore.

(Correct that, if you manage to die with your Yalm equipped, and rez shock disables yer Yalm, and then sit down and wait out the rez shock, then log out and log in again, you will be 'landed' in your Yalm when you log back in to the game.)

Higher quality Yalms are faster than low qlvl ones. A fixer running GSF will outpace you in his Yalm even if you are in one as well.

It's just that flying is faster. Planes are faster than cars. For the IP cost of a Kodiak, you might be better rolling up a Sparrow Flight symbio graft and hacking it. I got at least two of those that float around my alts until I like 'em enough to buy 'em a Yalm.

This thread was not started to debate whether a Yalm is better than a Kodiak. Of course it is. I wrote this to help all those people who CANT AFFORD A YALM yet like me, and so are using ground vehicles, yet all you ppl do is come here and bash the Kodiak which totally negates my hard work and post in trying to make them safer and more viable for use. The Kodiak has made a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of the game and are so totally worth it for 50k. What is the issue here? You think running across Andromeda on foot to get to a mission and back is a good idea while you save up for a yalm? Fine then, suit yourself.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread.

I didn't even buy a Kodiak for my fixer, I bought The Mid instead since I had gotten the idea that it would be good to sneak past evil mobs. Eh that didn't work I can tell you. He had his ground vehicle for a long long time and it worked just fine. I was one fast Mid user zooming around. The best way to sightseeing around Rubi-Ka is on ground I think.

I never used any elaborate ways to get away from monsters other than learning where they were if possible. Travel in a straight line away from the mob and it will grow tired pretty soon if it can't catch you. A moments stop against a tree or rock is a bad thing so don't let the adrenaline get to you. Another bad thing during a pursuit is to run over yet another spider or doggie

Vitnirs

When I was too poor to afford a car (I don't even wanna admit how long that lasted ) I used to use obstacles to shake an enemy.. It usually worked pretty well in the woods.. basically I would run in a straightish line and weave around trees and rocks. Often the monster would get stuck behind the tree and I could lose them. Even if he got away that would slow him down some and the next tree or two might put enough distance between us. Now it seems that the mobs just warp up right behind you if they start to get far though so it may not work any more.

Also, when travelling long distances, I would run near rivers and if something came after me I could dive in the water to get away. That worked great 90% of the time.

Hehe.. it *almost* makes me wish I didn't have a Yalm now. It's actually pretty fun to run around the planet.

Actually if you are sitting when you put on a yalm, it will be in drive mode, you can't fly.

This thread was not started to debate whether a Yalm is better than a Kodiak. Of course it is. I wrote this to help all those people who CANT AFFORD A YALM yet like me, and so are using ground vehicles, yet all you ppl do is come here and bash the Kodiak which totally negates my hard work and post in trying to make them safer and more viable for use. The Kodiak has made a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of the game and are so totally worth it for 50k. What is the issue here? You think running across Andromeda on foot to get to a mission and back is a good idea while you save up for a yalm? Fine then, suit yourself.

And these are great tips for people who purchase a ground vehicle. Heck I owned one until I realized what a yalm really was And oh boy.. did I die a lot in that thing. "That monster wont catch me!......"

Thanks for this though. I hope some people can put it to use.
    Shattered Dreams
    http://www.shattereddreams.org

Smile

Thanks JackSwift.