Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212253 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Island clearance

MASSIVE bump from me.

Add me to the list
    Distort 217 Solitus Doctor on RK1

Leveling and trying to stop being poor.

Go ahead and add me as well.

I really think AO lost something important with the changes to Newbie Island.
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW

There is a lot of grey beween usefull and useless.
    Mortiigs of SL UNITE! We WILL fling poo at you!

Hmm, lotta posting about this with no FC reply. Is there a formal reason this can't be done?

It seems to me that restoring Noob Island is a win/win for players/FC. We get our fun little island back, FC gets a better entrance to the game. First impressions are important! An Alien Invasion on your player city is really cool looking, but people will never find out if they are turned off by the ICC Shuttleport area.

I guess the word I've been looking for is "castrated." That's what Noob Island feels like now.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsix View Post
    give all old items back ti NI, please.
    I remember myself being noob. on NI:

I learned the difference between +AR and +Dmg - because there were rings adding them.
    I found +%XP ring, and learned about +XP modifiers.
    I found different kinds of armor, and tried them on different mobs. (Newcomer's armour is good, but without 'AC-holes', and doesn't show you the difference.)
    I've found some implants, and could prepare myself 'a bit' better for mainland. When you lvl 10 and with no money - even ql 5 imps count.
    I found some low-lvl AI guns, but couldn't equip them. (and finally bought SL/AI)
    I even found http://www.aomainframe.com/showitem.aspx?AOID=207260 , and had an 'UMPF!' thinking about using it.
    I've made some NI-weapons, and it opened the world of crafting for me.

But I could NOT take all this with me.
    Now I have backpack for all those items. But don't have the items! Please return them back.
    I think this post says everything that I want to say. I actually learned so much by playing on Noob Island. Also I remember thinking how "good" Metaplast armour was looking at the AC values, and working hard to make enough money to buy my newcomer armour. Oh, and I also liked my friendly nurse on the shuttle, why move the respawn point? swimming wasn't that big an issue.

Bump for sticking all the stuff back onto NI! Add me to the list.
    Main
    Forek 220/30

Alts
    Dreadoc 220/27
    Mellifluous 220/27
    Forefix 178/18

Nice point about the missing drops each having valuable lessons to teach noobs.

Please read this thread, FC... it's the most sensible suggestion I've seen in forums since "Balance BattleStation to 1:1, plz."

This isn't a matter of us getting used to a new addition or facet of the game, this is a matter of something that was actually fine on its own being removed for self-defeating purposes. You want new buyers, but you're destroying your own well-built point-of-purchase display.

It's my understanding that AI drops were removed to eliminate froob confusion. If you don't want new players confused, you better get to work on a first person shooter, because it's ineveitable for a MMO. Worst case scenario, the confusion built brand awareness for the AI expansion and encouraged people to buy it. Now bring back your own good marketing idea!

As for take me to the shop, it seems the concern might have been AO economy: Too many players with too much money. My answer to that is that the lowbies aren't the problem. Any veteran player simply transfers his credits from his main to his alt. The only players you handicap when you remove lowbie fund-raising schemes are new ones. You're on the right track with the new endgame money-sinks in the coming patch, but there's no point in making the game tougher for a brand new player.
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Back to page one!

WTB Old newbie area back with Arrival Hall, Shuttle crash and all the good loot from NI!

The arrival hall gave a new player good info about Rubi-Ka and a little background to what's happening and the shuttle crash was also very good thing story-wise.

Now you just make your character and *poof* youre in some strange beach where everyone is referring to some mysterious crash etc. "how the hell did i get in here and what is this place anyways?" now those are questions that aint answered in there anymore.

The list's getting nice, I might send the list to Funcom support if we don't get attention from Funcom. I think we'll need about 10000 people or more, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfclaws View Post
    The list's getting nice, I might send the list to Funcom support if we don't get attention from Funcom. I think we'll need about 10000 people or more, though...
    10000 sounds like a whole lot for a forum that I doubt 1000 people read regularly.

Maybe send the list now and see if they respond with what you've already got, then grow the list if they don't. We can always roll new toons and promote it on newbie island:

[Islandrestorer1]: Excuse me, sir, are you SATISFIED with the drops after your most recent beach leet conquest?
    [Ubern00ber42]: ?
    [Islandrestorer1]: Many moons ago, you COULD have had a tmts or even a +xp% ring! But FC doesn't WANT you to have those!
    [Ubern00ber42]: ineedcredzplx!!11!@#!
    [Islandrestorer1]: That's right! More credits for you at the beginning of the game. Go to forums and search for our topic to add your name to the petition! Do your part to save Newbie Island.
    [Ubern00ber42]: wat r forumz? U giv credats or not?
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

I'll do it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
    10000 sounds like a whole lot for a forum that I doubt 1000 people read regularly.

Maybe send the list now and see if they respond with what you've already got, then grow the list if they don't. We can always roll new toons and promote it on newbie island:

[Islandrestorer1]: Excuse me, sir, are you SATISFIED with the drops after your most recent beach leet conquest?
    [Ubern00ber42]: ?
    [Islandrestorer1]: Many moons ago, you COULD have had a tmts or even a +xp% ring! But FC doesn't WANT you to have those!
    [Ubern00ber42]: ineedcredzplx!!11!@#!
    [Islandrestorer1]: That's right! More credits for you at the beginning of the game. Go to forums and search for our topic to add your name to the petition! Do your part to save Newbie Island.
    [Ubern00ber42]: wat r forumz? U giv credats or not?
    Haha, bump for buyable protest signs from vendors on newb island that say "Save Newb Island" ^_^
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Signed.

Newbie island was a load of fun when AI was launched, and when ranged AI weapons were added it was great, now its dull and boring, please restore the fun stuff!
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

I understand WHY they did away with all the extra phats on newb island, but I must admit that for nostalgia I'd like the old newb island back with the cool arrival hall, and the swimming to the mainland and all that jazz.

I remember when I first started playing the game. I was on a quest to figure out how to get my implants that I found on the island in so I could become uber and go around killing all the boss mobs
    Rootcommand Level 219/28 Omni Solitus Fixer
    Diosdemuerte Level 213/18 Omni Solitus Soldier
    Dicenslice Level 220/21 Omni Atrox Keeper

~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~

Add me to the list, please
    Serial Mekakurg tradeskiller,
    Engineer 220/25/68
    Proud General of Athalantes

Swapping isnt playing !!

*jots her name down on the list*

bump for NI restoration
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

definately add me to zi list also, please.

bump for restoring Newbie Island
    RK1
    "Send Pics Plz". Meta-Wha? Noodz plz. 83/8.
    "Eye Makeshiz Foryou". Pimpin' Eng Of Doom. he's the SHIZ. 174/18.
    "Jack Grafter Torrence". I Like To Boom Boom Booooom. 220/zomg. AI30! .

RK2
    "Perk Grafter Reset". 216/22. RK2's Retired Bukkake Doc. idle since 2007.
    "Perk Graftor Reset". 142/15. RK2's Retired Pvp Doc idle since 2006

Sign me up too

I missed out on the funky stuff so I had barely any idea of the actual game at all once I left the newbie isle. For example: newbie armour depended on your level, had even stats all round so there was never any figuring out tradeoffs between high AC of one type versus a low AC of another; and you upgraded your weapons rather than acquire new ones. Neither of these concepts exists to any real extent off the island, so I had a bit of a screwed up idea in my head about how AO worked.

At least I got to experience the arrival hall and the crash, cheesy as it was. I thought they really helped to explain the setting of AO, go into detail about the Clan vs OT mess, the current alien situation etc.

Bump and support from me too!

/signed
    Noorb: 220 Keeper
    Retention: 217 shade
    Hawtpants: 210 trader
    Osker: 210 MA(may re roll)

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212253 ... LastLast