Thread: Newbie Island clearance

Nope. This will make a great relief on them. Noone will post bug reports, noone will detect new bugs, noone will bother ARK's with "damn, stuck again in Inferno graphics" petitions....finally they could rest.
    220/22 Clan NM/Engineer
    220/27 Clan Soli/Doctor
    ... and some others.

Enormous bank-sell. You ask it - I have it. (most probably)

Quote Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
    It's clear that the majority want a restoration (if only by representative percentage of regular forum posters), but is there some issue we haven't touched on?
    Well, we're fortunate enough to have Sil's view on the posters in general from previous cases:

>>
    The active forum population is insignificant in relation to the overall population and the people posting against such excruciatingly beneficlial moves as auto-afk, no zoning with aggro, destroying ICC Island and such are simply ignorant whiners who haven't seen the light and need not be considered at all.

All the players not posting are extremely happy with any and all changes - including froobs without posting rights..
    <<

Don't get me wrong, I wan't the playerbase kept happy and I recognise that not everyone is happy all the time - it's just that it isnøt possible to get across when something works against that from the player's PoV. Someone needs to put a lot of IP in his listening skill..

Unfortunately it seems the only way to get any FC attention is indeed to cancel - that wakes up the beancounters and they have the moxie to use the internal nerfbat.
    Incidentally, people really should remember to cancel their froob accts too - due to the statistics. Beancounters do use them to predict future income.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

I wish Conan never came to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfclaws View Post
    I wish Conan never came to exist.
    Even if it does, it will have so ugly starting zone that noone will play it!
    220/22 Clan NM/Engineer
    220/27 Clan Soli/Doctor
    ... and some others.

I'm of the opinion that FC does a pretty good job maintaining the game. Usually the folks most upset by them have endgame, dedicated PvP toons that have lost or are losing their edge due to a patch. This is a different issue.

I've taken up the "restore NI" cause because it is such a clearly unnecessary removal of fun at low levels, where there's not a lot of balance to upset anyway. My looting things on Newbie Island and enjoying my first 15/2 levels wasn't hurting anybody, and I want it back. Is it ruining AO? Probably not, but it's not a good precedent to set for maintaining the rest of the game, and it's easily fixed.

I'll even make a deal with them... if they fix Newbie Island, I'll carry it in my sig (see below) with the words "FIXED BY FC, THANKS" next to it. Solid PR, eh?

And just so it's out in plain English:

The forum represents a small percentage of AO players, but just like a survey or political poll, it's a fair cross-section of paying players. If a great number of people on forums have signed Wolfclaws's petition, one can only imagine that a solid chuck of AO's population agree. Read: Fix it.
    Last edited by Clamdigger; Jun 6th, 2007 at 14:49:14.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

66 votes so far, guess that's far from enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfclaws View Post
    66 votes so far, guess that's far from enough.
    Post the link on AO commercial billboards for 24 hours. After this, it will be 6600 votes here.
    220/22 Clan NM/Engineer
    220/27 Clan Soli/Doctor
    ... and some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    At least put in a half-crashed ship into the dock area that they're scuttling out of, so players can see that they're ALIENS.
    That's actually one thing still there, I guess someone missed it:

If you backtrack the scouts you'll see the dropship they're coming from, just as what you'll see during a "real" attack later on.

They all come bounding out of a tunnel like opening, go through it and there's the ship.
    Did it several times, mostly they tend to aggro me when I'm close to the spawnpoint. Still fun and dieing is no risk in ICC Island anyway.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

Wink Wrong Wrong Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Kahava View Post
    Well, we're fortunate enough to have Sil's view on the posters in general from previous cases:

>>
    The active forum population is insignificant in relation to the overall population and the people posting against such excruciatingly beneficlial moves as auto-afk, no zoning with aggro, destroying ICC Island and such are simply ignorant whiners who haven't seen the light and need not be considered at all.

All the players not posting are extremely happy with any and all changes - including froobs without posting rights..
    <<

Don't get me wrong, I wan't the playerbase kept happy and I recognise that not everyone is happy all the time - it's just that it isnøt possible to get across when something works against that from the player's PoV. Someone needs to put a lot of IP in his listening skill..

Unfortunately it seems the only way to get any FC attention is indeed to cancel - that wakes up the beancounters and they have the moxie to use the internal nerfbat.
    Incidentally, people really should remember to cancel their froob accts too - due to the statistics. Beancounters do use them to predict future income.
    Actually I LOVE the auto afk function, why should leechers prosper when good hard worken folks die ! I am very happy with most the changes, new missions, new bosses, new nanos, heck new game almost. Haveing said that..the AI weps where alot of fun and actually did encourage me to convert my second account to AI...since I am not a pvper I think the second account will NOT have LE though...

Exclamation Wauw

I'm suprised Funcom has not replyed.. We are theyre customers..

I so vote for this idea.. My start on NI was just like your guys.. seeing ai weapons, wanting them on.

A collgue tryed starting in ao.. and didn't even make it off noob island.. since it was to boring.. And I told him about dyna's and the cool stuff they drop there.. But no dynas.. no special hunting.. just grinding xp.. and boring stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by cureyall View Post
    Actually I LOVE the auto afk function, why should leechers prosper when good hard worken folks die ! I am very happy with most the changes, new missions, new bosses, new nanos, heck new game almost. Haveing said that..the AI weps where alot of fun and actually did encourage me to convert my second account to AI...since I am not a pvper I think the second account will NOT have LE though...
    Hehe, I won't start the auto-afk argument up on this thread (we should all resist the urge, there's a fine thread for that in the update forum). I'll just leave it that I disagree.

I am happy with the addition of new content, and the fact that it is being added at all is a testament to the good side of FC. That said, it's my (well documented) opinion that we need this issue fixed. Diverse content is your friend at any level, so why erase it when it already exists?
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Quote Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
    Hehe, I won't start the auto-afk argument up on this thread (we should all resist the urge, there's a fine thread for that in the update forum). I'll just leave it that I disagree.

I am happy with the addition of new content, and the fact that it is being added at all is a testament to the good side of FC. That said, it's my (well documented) opinion that we need this issue fixed. Diverse content is your friend at any level, so why erase it when it already exists?
    You can also find it in my sigi; and my opinion on auto-afk there.

When I was a wee little froob (wtb Scottish accent) first playing the game, not only did I wander to a player city and thought this was a cool town, but where were all the people? When I was first on newb island I was there with my bf (at the time) who had encouraged me to play. He had expansions so we camped out for some low ql AI weapons. Seeing them drop I could remember saying to myself I'd upgrade soon as I got the money cause those weapons totally out damaged the one I started with.

Low and behold I have all expansions now; not because of the big player city that I thought was Rome, not because of the great world of the Shadowlands which I thought was some palce to go after ToTW. I upgraded because I saw those powerful weapons just dropping right at the start of the game and I wanted them.

It was a very very dumb move to nerf newb island; and denying/avoiding the situation will not fix it. In the name of newb friendly it was done, but the newbs aren't staying; because it's no fun.

Bump for a change for the (real) better.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

I became a subscriber no less than 3 years after playing, but being a perfectionist, I constantly reroll my toons and thus see Newbie Island more than you would believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiyrau View Post
    You can also find it in my sigi; and my opinion on auto-afk there.

When I was a wee little froob (wtb Scottish accent) first playing the game, not only did I wander to a player city and thought this was a cool town, but where were all the people? When I was first on newb island I was there with my bf (at the time) who had encouraged me to play. He had expansions so we camped out for some low ql AI weapons. Seeing them drop I could remember saying to myself I'd upgrade soon as I got the money cause those weapons totally out damaged the one I started with.

Low and behold I have all expansions now; not because of the big player city that I thought was Rome, not because of the great world of the Shadowlands which I thought was some palce to go after ToTW. I upgraded because I saw those powerful weapons just dropping right at the start of the game and I wanted them.

It was a very very dumb move to nerf newb island; and denying/avoiding the situation will not fix it. In the name of newb friendly it was done, but the newbs aren't staying; because it's no fun.

Bump for a change for the (real) better.
    Ha, I think I quoted your fine argument on Auto AFK in that thread, as a matter of fact.

I reroll my toons to relax after frustrating tasks in the later parts of the game. It's fun to roll a MA and just go around brawling everything, without having to buff 30 nanos and hit perks/procs/heals just to survive. There's something to be said for having the first part of the game playable and worthwhile.
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Nanos often work really frustrating- always keep a toon around with that anti-nano perk, nothing relaxes like having a big, dumb atrox bash on things for a while.

bump!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    HEALTH WARNING: This reply was made on equipment that also produces sarcasm. Reply may contain bits of sarcasm as a result.
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Please give us solo LE missions, FC
    Xaun's Big List O Suggestions

I wonder if any new people come to post.

we can help with that by putting links in our sigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    HEALTH WARNING: This reply was made on equipment that also produces sarcasm. Reply may contain bits of sarcasm as a result.
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Please give us solo LE missions, FC
    Xaun's Big List O Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeBurma View Post
    we can help with that by putting links in our sigs.
    Private Clamdigger, reporting for signature-based link disepersal duty, SIR!

(see below)
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303162 ... LastLast