Thread: Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates

Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates

This attack has gone through several revisions since the original concept posted here in the ma forums. I don't know how often the devs browse the professional forums, so I figured I'd post the final version here:

Attack of the Three Fates

"The Fates did not abruptly interfere in human affairs but availed themselves of intermediate causes, and determined the lot of mortals not absolutely, but only conditionally; even man himself, in his freedom was allowed to exercise a certain influence upon them. As man's fate terminated at his death, the goddesses of fate become the goddesses of death, Moirai Thanatoio."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clotho (spins the thread of life from the cosmic forces; sings of the present): given Clotho's nature as the 'spinner of life', a sizable short duration heal delta buff would be appropriate, plus a chance for 1-2 sec stun (perhaps somewhere in realm of 25-50% chance - has to be low enough to justify the short recharge).
    locks MA; relatively short recharge, so as not to conflict with FoL
    icon: spindle

Lachesis (measures the thread with her rod, assigning each man his destiny; sings of the past): an attack damaging the target while also returning hp to the ma, where the amount of hp returned (and possibly the dmg to target) is directly proportional to the ma's last fist attack. This attack reflects the personality of Lachesis by alloting the MA a measure of life (i.e. the heal) with consideration for the past (i.e. the most recent fist attack).
    locks parry; moderate recharge
    icon: measuring rod

Atropos (inevitably cuts the thread of life with her abhorrèd shears; sings of the future): a finisher attack damaging both the target and the ma by an amount directly proportional to the HP gained by Lachesis. This attack could potentially damage the ma more than the target, but both should feel as though fate has caught up to them. In keeping with the definition of Atropos, which literally means, 'cannot be turned' or 'inevitible', this final attack in the chain should be very difficult, if not impossible, to resist.
    locks riposte; moderate-long recharge
    icon: shears

These attacks should be MA only, and are intended to occur as a chain in the order listed (just as Fate is spun, measured, and cut), so followup attacks must occur within a certain amount of time, or the chain is lost.

I would really enjoy seeing a quest developed that would allow you to meet each of the three Fates, in conjunction with passing a test/trial of some sort, in order to acquire their respective attacks...perhaps something similar to the book quests for the ToTW/IS attacks.

These attacks could theoretically come in various ql's, but this is by no means necessary, nor aesthetically pleasing imo, since the strength of each attack, with the exception of the heal delta buff, is already determined entirely by the strength of the MA's most recent fist attack. (actually, even the heal delta buff could be adjusted according to the fist attack if desired)
    Some possible ql modification ideas are described within the original concept, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the multi-ql idea.

Three Fates Wiki & Moirai link for those interested.
    Last edited by Vlain; Mar 21st, 2007 at 02:47:35.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

OW!...just stubbed my toe on a bump
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

~Lewis Carroll

Bump for well researched/thought out suggestion
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

sounds good to me; i like the idea of having 3 attacks in a row and if the MA has all 3 attacks they can actually do a chain move... unlike most chain perks....
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

dont sound to bad.. although afew questions

1. what kind of recharge would you be looking at
    2. what kind of ATK vs DEF are we looking at for each? seems the def shoudl probably get higher as you go up the chain
    Nanomage Meta-Physicist : Squad Commander [Famous Last Words] [RK2]
    Interested in applying? [Click Here]

I left the alot of the specifics out like recharge times, attack/def skills, & actual damage ratios, because if FC decided to use the idea they'd have to do all the stat balancing anyway. My hope is that Clotho would be somewhere between 30-60 sec (ape fist is 19s for a 50% chance @2s stun), while the other 2 attacks I would hope to be at least less than 3min.

There are alot of variables that could affect what recharge times should be. For example, if the dmg to the ma on the last attack ended up being higher than the dmg to target I would expect a shorter recharge time because of the drawback. On the other hand, if they decided to make the final attack do more damage to the target than to the ma I would expect a longer recharge time.

Plus, I just think its more interesting to read about a concept than a bunch of stuffy stats.

~Lewis Carroll

"The morning sun rises to greet him, and in its low, warm light he stands like some sort of pagan god, or deposed tyrant, staring out over the city he's sworn to...... stare out over. And it's evident, just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind." ~The Tick

~Lewis Carroll

"And so, may Evil beware and may Good dress warmly and eat plenty of fresh vegetables."

~Lewis Carroll

I'll bump this because I'm bored

heh, thanks for the bump, but I think Sil hates me, so we'll prolly never see anything like this ingame.

ooh, almost forgot a Tick quote:

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."

~Lewis Carroll

Been a long time since I bumped this, but I just stumbled across Izolenta's suggestion that FC add some new profession specific quests, similar to the old prof ring quests.

If FC ever did do a new set of prof specific quests, I think something like this would make an appropriate ma reward.

~Lewis Carroll

tyty

~Lewis Carroll