Thread: New graphics?

New graphics?

You mean just a bunch o' new textures, and maybe some models? You should rather overhaul your graphics engine IMO, it's laggier than the last time I played (yea, I'm back because I got holidays, last time was 14.2). Oh, and I hope this implies new clothes too.

And by the way, the Closing Anarchy thing, well, if you'd know the NT kernel and process management, you'd know that it can clean up stuff by itself, so a suggestion would be disabling this on 2K/XP and let Anarchy exit directly.
    Add new clothes! More sexy stuff! More rubber stuff! ASAP!!! :P

They are giving leets a makeover to make them for frightening :O

Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

What me annoys is if they wanna improve graphics, that implies more polygons and/or bigger textures, which translates in even less framerate with the current engine.

Originally posted by Bonk
    They are giving leets a makeover to make them for frightening :O

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO000000000000000000000000OOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0000000000000000OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

but maybe give the supa leets capes at least

Lets hope for a better written graphics engine, and a changed client. I am lagging on a Amd Xp1400+, with 256Mb and a GF3 Ti200, and some people have had no lag with worse computers, so there has got to be something that isnt right with this engine.
    (Ugh, i remember the swaying trees in Eq...)
    "There is a storm coming! Our storm! - Paul Mua'dib"
    ---------------------------------------------
    Randomize argument in scripts!

The magical pony, scene1-5,6

Im glad there are trolls and whiners, gives people something to compare with. Makes the rest of us look better.

"Spam is not just something you do, its a way of life."

OOGA BOOGA.

I think the graphics lag has more to do with their laggy netcode than anything else, because I get it in exactly two places:

Loading a new zone (understandable, new textures being loaded)

Areas with lots of people, hence lots of network lag.

Given that my lag improved when I went from narrowband to broadband, I'm suspecting this has more to do with it than the graphics engine.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

about graphics

One of the main reasons I enjoy playing AO is that I can have decent graphic imagery in my laptop's 16MB mobile card. I just hope that new packs offering better graphics don't require a 32MB video memory limit ( like some other MMORPGS I won't name). This could be a serious reason for ppl leaving the game , no kidding. And there r a lot of us laptop users in.

Im sure there will be an option to turn of the nifty graphics if you like.

If not, dont matter me.
    "There is a storm coming! Our storm! - Paul Mua'dib"
    Randomize argument in scripts!

The magical pony, scene1-5,6

Im glad there are trolls and whiners, gives people something to compare with. Makes the rest of us look better.

"Spam is not just something you do, its a way of life."

OOGA BOOGA.

Well, take SWB for example, it was finished loading, it was empty (except of the NPCs), from the Whompa till the center it didn't go over 6fps, and that of a Geforce3. Heh.

I'm not expecting much in the way of *new clothing*. I don't think they want to add to the strain. I'm expecting things more like higher poly models (I'd love to see higher poly player models, personally) and higher quality versions of already existing textures.

That's all client-side, so it's only a matter of your comp, not your connection.

Still- I'm hoping for alot more ambient sound as well.

(crowd noises... please have crowd noises)

Arrow

Its deffinitly not your network lag causeing the frame rate drop. their 2 completely seperated enviroments. i notice anarchy hates any computer with less thatn 512mb ram. and is even alittle iffy on sub 1.5Ghz systems. <-- hoping the new engine both looks nicer and runs smoother ...
    high spirits wont compensate for 800 rounds a minute...
    LucidTrance . imps . Gear

Originally posted by Joramon
    Lets hope for a better written graphics engine, and a changed client. I am lagging on a Amd Xp1400+, with 256Mb and a GF3 Ti200, and some people have had no lag with worse computers, so there has got to be something that isnt right with this engine.
    (Ugh, i remember the swaying trees in Eq...)
    I have one PC with only AMD Athlon 700, 1st Gen GeForce Pro, and not much lag.

THe main difference is... I have 512 MB of RAM.

256 is definitely not enough.. u will get lots of harddisk swapping and slows down the game A LOT.

DURRRRRRRRRRRR...

WHY DON'T THEY USE THE QUAKE 3 ENGINE?!

Netlag is NOT seperated from graphics lag.

Go to Tir at two seperate hours. At one time of day, 60 people at Tir grid. At another, 20. Tell me there isn't a lag difference; visually. There is, and it's a function of netlag.

That said, I play with 512MB of RAM, so I pretty much only get graphics lag as a function of netlag.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

I don't understand what you mean, Kiryat. Sure you're going to have lower performance when there are 60 people on your screen vs. 20. The engine is drawing alot more.

That same crowd is also going to create more netlag, as you download all the various info needed to display what those 60 people are actually doing/saying/wearing.

They're compounding each other in that case, but they're still separate things.

Maybe that's what you said... I'm tired and my brain is mushy. :P

Hehe.
    Last edited by Blue Cat; Sep 5th, 2002 at 07:40:56.

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    Go to Tir at two seperate hours. At one time of day, 60 people at Tir grid. At another, 20. Tell me there isn't a lag difference; visually. There is, and it's a function of netlag.
    I'd be surprised if that's netlag. More likely, it's texture loading, just like when you zone. Take a look at your character: how many different pieces of clothing are you wearing? How many buffs are running?

Each of those 60 characters is just as visually complex.

Arrow

No, there is extra load caused by players (as opposed to NPCs) on the network, its not just loading lag as that would go away after the textures had loaded and it doesn't.

More detailed models would be OK, larger textures wouldn't - texture loading can be painful enough as it is.

Well, i have tried many different setings on my config.

I have a Duron 800Mhz, Asus V7700 GF2 32MB, and 1024MB RAM.

I must say that the difference is mostly in the amount of system memory.

I run AO in 1024x768x16 and full detail on in 16bit.

My gameplay is most of the time smooth with only lag in populated cities, but everytime i enter a city i set my viewdist to 30.

The thing with new ambient sounds like crowdnoises would be cool!

Originally posted by Martov
    DURRRRRRRRRRRR...

WHY DON'T THEY USE THE QUAKE 3 ENGINE?!
    erm, because this is a completely different kind of game than quake 3?

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

From what I've seen, the engine only redraws when the gameworld gets updated, means the graphics lag is bound to the netlag. This happens too on ready loaded scenes. By the way, Unreal 2003 uses at least 3x the poly amount of Tir with lots of people, and I get 40fps there, not 2fps.