Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Doctor Breeds - A Complete Look

As a 218 Opi Doc, ther aer some ups and downs...

For stam, yes that is a topic of concern becuase (for ex) our LE armor is Stam based >.< (Curse you FC) BUT.. there are many stam buffing items ingame over the rest.. if you are concerned with high lvl items, then one benifit as a doc is the Star of Recovery (SL) wich adds 60, for mid level, there is the Doc Pill Pack (20 iirc). If you go pistols you can gain another 50 (2x G2 pistols, or is if 40? at work so can't verify).. I can easily get 1100 Stam with help and perks... (of course soli would be able to do it soner)... I don't much prefer PvP hence my lack of Ofab gear (though I only care about back and helmet.. 60k VPs YIKKKKES)

Things that are effected... that we docs love and need:

HP (STAM)
    MM (multi Mellee for you mellee toons) STAM based (str too?)
    MR (Multi Ranged for us pistol wearers) AGI Based (and I think sense? really wish I was at home to check)

BUT!!! as Opi, it is easier to get SUPPLE on (If you have AI) and the trickle from AGI really helps when you nned the MR (I just put BOTH my doc pistols on this past weekend with only 3x pieces of supple and NO pande loot the MR is the kicker :/

I have had a blast with my doc atm.

Ranged or Mellee? well there are MBC/SHEN/Pistol/Dread panther (good job by the way )/ and various other wpns... I would say the doc has the better variety of wpns to wear (or attempt to wear) because we are masters of none but can hold our own with most.

Shadowbreed... don't based your dicision on SB!!!!! if you are thinking of soli for the perception... forget it.... you can find some one to pop it, if you need to get the scope on... but you will see there are many things that also are great in that hud3 spot as well that fight for contention (1k HP attunement device is my pref with a 5 hr recharge... you actually forget to ever use it... except during raids/PvP for any proff. I have used my 3 times (once just for show) in the past 8 months...

Sorry so long but Bottom line: (If you have played a while) Go with how you like to play, or envision playing your doc. (If new) You can't go wrong, both are solid, as there are many ways to compensate for the differences.

Just my 2 cents worth... Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

GL!
    ~Ittle OUT
    (Man I hope spellbot is working)
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

Retired Doc Professional
    having an opi doc, i can say from experience that, although it might pose a little bit more of a problem for tier and ofab, in the end its not all that bad. i was able to equip my ql 300 symbiants with alot of work, but i did it without a burden, which is a huge plus. if you are going to go with high level symbs like that, then opi is a good choice. its convenient to have a higher skill. that being said, soli is a very good choice, especially if you plan at stopping at ~260ish symbs.

ittle makes a good point about stamina: theres a ton of stamina buffing things for docs. and now theres Ibehe for 54 too, along with IC, pill pack, fred sleeves, etc. etc.
    Invincible1 - 220/22 - Opi doc...................OneBullet - 76/5 Opi agent
    Mmba- 175/12 - Soli fix.............................Pownstar - 120/9 NM NT
    ....................Omni-RK1..........General of Hands of Fate....................

Doctor Wishlist/Doctor Buglist

I'd like to throw in my two cents too. My main is 220 Opi doc and now i just love it, but i had a lot of problems in the beginning (mostly because of the lack of experience though).

Now i also have lvl 150 solitus doc and to be honest it was a lot easier in the beginning. But now... well soli doc is just... average. No real advantages and no real disadvantages.

I don't want to discourage anyone from rolling opifex but there is a few things that's good to know about Opifex.

For me the lower stamina was never a real problem in the lower levels because it mostly affects the ql of armor you can wear (and also your max hp and healdeta rate (tick)). But because doc is not supposed to tank on team situations (allthough doc can be very good tank after lvl 120 or so) it's usually not that much of a problem if you have a couple levels lower quality armor on etc.

The real problem for me as opifex was psychic. Opifex has about the same psychic cap as Atrox. And psychic affects your nanopool and nano tick (the rate of your natural nano regeneration). If you plan to level with teams, nano pool and nano regeration (through stims, perks and the natural nanodelta) are a lot more important things than some hp you loose with lower stamina.

Symbiants are much easier for opi because all support symbs require agi+sense and they are green for opi.

Opifex also gets more Pistol (and some other weaponskills like shotgun iirc) and Multiranged through tricle from agi and/or sense. And base evades are higher for opifex. (the debate wether evades are important or not on a doc is a different issue/topic but i think at lower levels evades are good to max when you can spare the ip).

And regarding the question about ql300 armor and symbs, yes its possible. ql300 armor is actually quite easy to get on even without the expensive or rare stuff. And ql300 symbs are possible too. I've never bothered with them though because the difference between ql270 and ql300 symbs is not that big. (ok maybe some day i will eguip the 300's)

In my opinion opifex is still the number one choice but it is more of a challenge at lower levels than solitus.

-Ael

Ittledoc, Mmba, Aeliniyah, thank you so much for the replies and answering my questions! My original liking to Opifex was as silly as it sounds purely esthetic (guess I am superficial!). But this has helped a lot, and I am really glad we are not forced to pick Solitus (as it is the recommended breed) unless one wants to pick Solitus of course!

Thanks again!

Retired Doc Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemeras View Post
    My original liking to Opifex was as silly as it sounds purely esthetic (guess I am superficial
    understandable.... opi docs are sexy... especially mine
    ....................Omni-RK1..........General of Hands of Fate....................

Quote Originally Posted by Mmba
    understandable.... opi docs are sexy... especially mine
    Especially not male
    Reziukas 220/30 Soldier Equipment Screenshot Epeen
    Squad Commander of Riders of the Lost Org
    First omni owner of Superior Rebuilt Perennium Blaster on RK1
    Aide Rezidoc 220/25 Doctor Equipment Screenshot Epeen++
    The first and only doc on RK1 to do 200k DPM on LoTV!
    First owner of Alien Combat Directive Controller on RK1
    First doc to OD a clan zergbot twice.
    First TL7 doc to get 3rd and 4th solo titles.
    [Jagfixarinte]: think u got lootrights:P
    [Questra]: did you just get loot on Libra?

All my Opis are spring heads
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

As an Opi doc as well, lemme toss in my own two creds: As was previously stated above, the psychic/nanodelta/nano tick is a big(ish) issue as you level up especially when you get into team situations where you are nearly constantly chain healing. Getting to the golden level of 110 for the genius perk action is like a serious breath of relief, cuz that 1200 nano every 90 seconds HELPS! a the lower levels.

Stamina as has been mentioned isn't as much of an issue, even at 220 to get the 300 symbs and 300 AI armor on, due not only to stam buffing items but also due to our research lines (Thank you FC for Diagnosis! =D).

My own personal opinion is that even though solitus is the "recommended" doctor breed, opifex and nanomages are the ones that truly shine in the profession in an overall sense, while solitus and atrox have their more specialized specific benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

well. my doc's just still levelling so i can't really tell for sure, but i think trox is the way to go. a doc lives of its hp, and trox got a fair amount more of that. nano wise it's less a about how much you have but how fast you can regenerate anyways. i had some nano probs in the very beginning no more at least since i got the genius perk but i hear that's no different with other breeds, never probs with nano skills whatsoever, was ~lvl 110 when i could self pretty much all the rk nanos and ~130 when i could nearly self the 175 heal.

the hp is a huge advantage. i can't say for sure when i was able to solo hecks but when i tried with 113 i didn't have much of a problem. also when i throw in a ch i can tank the crowd for some time before going down. it might need some more twinking in the end but i'm fairly sure i can do all the nanos self with 220 plus i'll have a huge hp advantage. didn't look into pistol twinking though yet.

opi is easier from the ip cost point of view, symb twinking as well as nano skills and cost but will always be more fragile. honestly i don't really see the point of solitus or even nanomage.

ps. i'm not much of a twinker :P
    Last edited by Xootch; Feb 8th, 2008 at 21:42:36.

Retired Doc Professional
    thats exactly why i say in the original guide that theres no such bad breed. equally equipped, a trox doc will have 1300 more hp than an nanomage, and ~650 than opi/soli. however, opi/soli's will generally have better symbs, which makes up for that, and you also get 5% more nano cost, and 10% more with nanomage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmba View Post
    thats exactly why i say in the original guide that theres no such bad breed. equally equipped, a trox doc will have 1300 more hp than an nanomage, and ~650 than opi/soli. however, opi/soli's will generally have better symbs, which makes up for that, and you also get 5% more nano cost, and 10% more with nanomage.
    True. But given the fact that my 220 troxdoc doesn't even need IP in nanopool and can do all the nano spammage he wants with the new amounts of nanodelta we have now, I just don't see that being a big deal except for the times until you have research done. Only time I wish I had IP in nanopool was against the occasional nanodrain, but between things like DB boss and GTH nanodrains don't drain slowly enough to be a big deal.

And without -too- much gimpage a trox doc can self ICH just like other breeds. The difference is nano (and maybe soli/opi) can self it without changing out so much gear.

TBH its kind of ironic ... the place where troxdocs have the biggest "lack" today is in AR. Pistols = more AR as Opi or Soli and not -much- more AR than NM. And we definitely have less AR for casting DoTs and debuffs. Everyone assumes troxdoc AR is great (and for Shotgun we do and for MA its not much of a loss) but if you're a pistol+dot doc we're the worst. Unless you train mongo rage. And I didn't suggest that with a straight face.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567