Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Breeds - A Complete Look

Retired Doc Professional

Doctor Breeds - A Complete Look

A Guide to Doctor Breeds

I felt it was important to write a guide, as there weren't any stickies available on breeds of doctor. All of this information should be in one place and easily accessible for newbies rolling a doctor and thinking of making them their main, or simply just a hobby.

It should be said that, for any profession, the ability to sustain one's life is vital. However, the role of a doctor is very important. Whether it is his own life or that of his teammates, the role of the doctor is "healing and protecting." According to the doctor description, "When chaos descends on the team in combat, its survivability usually lies squarely on the doctor's shoulders."

That’s quite the load of responsibility, and here I hope to provide a guide on the best breeds of Doctor, as they relate to both level ranges and style of play. And I'll do it all without mentioning weapons, I promise.

I. Level Ranges

For each level range, I describe as many pros and cons as possible for that breed. They might be seen as a ranking in some respects, but I encourage you to read each description and choose based on your play style, and not necessarily my ranking. The advice given here is based on a regular doctor and not necessarily a stationary pvp twink in that level.

1-109: The developmental stages

Nanomage - Nanomages are the best breed for this level range. The every little bit of nanoskill you can acquire in this level range means higher nanos (heal, debuff, etc) and thus a better survivability for the team. They also have more of what all other professions want - nano pool. The hp difference at this level is not as important as the pros for this breed, thus making them the best choice.

Opifex/Solitus - Opis and Solis in this level range are in the same boat. They both have relatively the same nanoskills and nano pool, which are the defining factor. A slight edge could be given to opis in this range because of higher sense and agility, which appear in a lot of implants. Still, the difference at this level is not great enough to make one vastly superior to the other, especially with all of the twinking opportunities that are available.

Atrox - This level range is by far the most unforgiving to the atrox. A combo of bad nano pool, bad nanoskills, and low sense, intelligence, and psychic all make this for a bad breed in the early goings of a doc's life. Couple that with the fact that their major advantage - HP, can be overcome by other breeds with a set of omni/storm carb and some good implants, there’s nothing desirable about being a TL 1, 2, or 3 atrox doctor.

110-174: Growing and Maturing

Solitus - This all-around good breed is getting better in this level range. While their sense and agil aren't as high as the opifex, ability-based rings, armor, and LE research in these areas all help and provide as much as the solitus doc might need to get into symbiants. They are also just as efficient with HP as the opi. Their naturally higher psy and intel give them the edge over the opifex, as far as squeezing into slightly better armor is concerned.

Opifex - The opifex is very good in this level range because of the ability to get into symbiants easier than other breeds. This is because of their high sense and agility, which are the primary 2 skills required in all support symbs. This makes their twinking ability in regards to nano skills and everything else required by a doctor high, making them one of the more optimal breeds in this level range.

Nanomage - This breed falls back some in this range because of the lack of HP, and also loses its advantages in nanoskills when you come to the last non-shadowlands heals - Lifegiving elixir and Complete Heal. Still, they can twink to UBT faster than other breeds, and the natural nano regeneration rate is better than other breeds, which is a plus. Finally, they can twink into Merlin armor (Reqs 750 Intel and Psychic) late in this level range, which gives them an advantage in the armor department.

Atrox - The atrox gets a huge boost here because of 1 important perk - Genius 2. Genius 2 has an automatic Regain nano of 1000 points every 2 minutes, which is vital on the battle field and solves some of the nano pool problems for this breed. The difference in HP starts to come into play in this level range, which elevates this breed even more. Even though at early to mid tl 4 Livegiving Elixir and Complete Heal come into play, they are hurt still by a low nano pool which might prevent chain casting these heals like the other breeds can. They are also hurt somewhat by not being able to cast Uncontrollable Bodily Tremors as soon as the other breeds, although there are other debuffs available below this one. They will cap sense, intel, and psy much quicker than other breeds, which his a huge negative, both in the armor and symbiant categories. The atrox improves in this range from the early stages, but still has these notable problems.

175-220: Outlive, Outlast, Outheal.

Atrox - With all kinds of nanoskill increasing components available to this class, between perks, LE research, AI and LE armor, and the ever-popular Nano Controller Unit, this class can make some its weaknesses null and void. It might take alot of work and some sacrifices, but eventually, the trox doctor should attain the ever-popular 2 second nano tick midway through TL 7 with a bit of effort. This compensates somewhat for the atrox's lower than average nanocost cap, 45%. Due to the fact that all breeds strive for maximum HP in the final stages of the game, to utilize the very powerful shadowlands heals to their maximum capacity, the innate HP of this breed, added to all of the HP-increasing items ingame, make this a very popular choice as an endgame breed. (The more HP you have, the less you will 'overheal' your HP, thus making the most of it and maximizing your chances at survival). Their natural amount of nanopool is still less than any of the other breeds, which could be a hinderance in the eyes of some.

Solitus - The mediocre nature of this breed, although it is not exactly hindered by it, exudes no such huge benefits. The Con is also a pro, in that there are no huge weaknesses to be overcome, and you can focus on maximizing your strengths. You can, with a bit more work, still equip very high symbs endgame. Much like the opi, you can afford to work moderately hard to stay on par with the reqs of the SL heals. Your hp can be twinked to very high amounts, although not quite as high as the atrox. What is higher than the atrox, though, is the nanocost reduction cap on this breed, 50%.

Opifex - The agility and sense differentials can no longer be ignored in this level range. The opifex are the best at equipping symbiants. Some may argue that other breeds can equip the top symbiants, but the opifex can do it much easier. One of their own weaknesses can be overcome (the lack of strength and stamina available) by many items available exclusively both to this breed and to doctors, in order to twink these skills. Their HP, although not as good as the atrox, is almost on par with that of the solitus. This breed has a nanocost reduction cap of 50%.

Nanomage - Due to the level lock on the SL heals, your huge nano skill boost isn't much of a factor. With every other class also gaining the highest nano regeneration rate in this level range (55% reduction), your nano pool advantage becomes less of an advantage as well. Still, with a higher nanocost reduction cap and larger nanopool, problems with high-cost healing and Damage over Time nanos becomes that which this class won't worry about. Your HP is less than any of the other breeds, which hinder your ability to solo somewhat. Still, many have tried and succeeded with the HP "difficulties" of this class late game

II. Endgame Symbiants and Armor

Opifex - Symbiants are the main reason one would roll an opifex doctor. With their high sense and agility, the endgame symbiants are most easily equipped on a 220 opi doc. Some people prefer to take the time and equip ql 300 symbiants (which have only slightly increased stats), whereas other people choose to utilize their strength by being able to swap in and out symbiants for buffing implants to change their gear around as often as they want. Armor wise, opi docs aren't the best for that which requires Intel and Psychic, but they are good enough with a little bit of work. With the introduction of Lost Eden, a lot of doctor armor has high stamina requirements, which make opi's less appealing.

Solitus - Solitus docs can equip almost the same symbiant set as an opifex can these days, except it does take a little bit more work. Solitus docs usually go for 1 step down in symbiant ql, as most of them don't usually see the insane twinking time required worth the small gains that they would achieve. Because they have no deficiencies in basic skills, they can really choose to twink on whatever sets of armor they desire.

Atrox - Base skills must be mentioned. With Ofab being used more and more, the atrox doctor would probably have the easiest time with the high stamina requirement. The positive is also a negative, as their intel and psy are lower, which make other armors a bit harder if one chooses to go against the normal choices. Even though the psychic requirements on the ofab aren't as high as the stamina, they are the only armor that usually goes along with a doc's final setup in which strength or stam. are required, which are an atrox's best stats. As far as symbiants go, you might have a little difficulty, but nothing too major. Still, it seems that most endgame atrox doctors stop at symbiants around ql 250/260 because they're good enough and harder to twink on larger.

Nanomage - The one major factor that can be said about this breed is that they like to self-equip a lot of their armor, and possibly even symbiants. This is a huge advantage that can't be overlooked. This is one of the main reasons that people choose Nanomage docs - aside from their great nano skills, their high psychic and intelligence go along perfectly with many great sets of armors. However, with more ofab armors being used, their deficiency in stamina, like that of the opi, might hinder them a bit.
    Last edited by Mmba; Sep 7th, 2007 at 22:27:45. Reason: added more descriptions
    Invincible1 - 220/22 - Opi doc...................OneBullet - 76/5 Opi agent
    Mmba- 175/12 - Soli fix.............................Pownstar - 120/9 NM NT
    ....................Omni-RK1..........General of Hands of Fate....................

Doctor Wishlist/Doctor Buglist

Retired Doc Professional
    III. Style of Play

Nanomage - Possibly the easiest road for a doctor to take, the nanomage is for those doctors that want to be able to easily concentrate on their healing ability and get the most out of your advantages, specifically in the beginning and middle of your life. Although they lack in HP, which makes endgame docs what they are, they still have their high psychic and intelligence, which allows them to twink into very nice armor early.

Solitus - The 2nd easiest to play as a doctor and probably the most common, the solitus is great for the casual player who will work on their character enough to get good amounts of hp and nano skills. Their lack of a weakness makes them good at many things and bad at nothing.

Opifex - The opifex is for those who like to twink and personalize their character with lots of cash and general goodies. They can achieve great symbiants all throughout their life, which is nice for those players that like to twink. Their HP is on par with that of the solitus. However, they do have weaknesses in strength and stamina mostly, which can be overcome with a little bit of work.

Atrox - By far the hardest breed to play is the Atrox. The atrox has a hard life all through his 219 levels. In a profession based in the beginning on nano skills and nanopool, the atrox doc lacks these skills and is destined to struggle along. If you make it through the hard times, and are willing to twink into all kinds of heals and better nano regeneration rates, the Atrox becomes, arguably, the best endgame profession because of his massive amount of HP, which compliment his ability to heal boatloads of hp just the same as any other breed.

Good luck with your new doctor. You will find that no matter which breed you choose, you can make it your own. There is no such thing as a bad breed of Doc, only ones that can be played much different than others.
    Last edited by Mmba; Feb 2nd, 2007 at 18:31:12.
    ....................Omni-RK1..........General of Hands of Fate....................

Retired Doc Professional
    reserved for future use.
    Last edited by Mmba; Jan 31st, 2007 at 23:00:42.

Red face owned.

Solitus is the best, you are both very wrong! Solitus is the sexiest so they are automatically FTW.

Close thread now, I win.
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

Retired Doc Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by mardman View Post
    Instead of writing replies that in fact dont help what your done, spend some time talking to nanomage/atrox/solitus/opifex docs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mardman View Post
    Maybe you should research a little more.
    Not that i need to prove myself, but its generally agreed that a good nano delta setup is preferred and will suffice over the extravagent nanopool of a NM on most occasions.

at least thats what this thread that i started says.
    Last edited by Mmba; Jan 31st, 2007 at 06:48:06.

I personally think Atrox are far overrated. It's true that troxen have most HP all the time, but that's a max of 1.3k compared to Soli, 1.6k compared to Opi and 2.7k compared to Nano (at 220 with maxed abilities but no gear). While it's true that the difference to Nanomages is quite big but still I do think rolling a Trox for being a Doc is a bad idea and was only arised due to the max-HP-wagon.

The disadvantages of a Trox can't be twinked away easily and requires a whole lot more camping and zerg raiding, which you might have to mention. The nanodelta (most important in my eyes) is soo hard to get for troxen that I see many Atrox Docs running around with not-effective Psychic guns to get the 2s tick while rendering themself completely useless and are plain healmonkeys.

My ranking for breeds is: Opi>Nano>Soli>Trox
    Soli lower cause everyone rolls a Soli Doc, so mainstream and mainstream is bad by natural definition. Opi so high cause you don't really need to twink to stuff good symbs in him while he has only little disadvantage to Soli. Trox so low, cause we can easily buff ourselfs +2.3k HP plus the short HP buff from the SL heals, so in my eyes HP from the breed is not that important to have a hard time with a fast nano delta.

That are my 2 cent on this topic
    Do you see the horizon?
    Immediately above the ground the skies seem to begin...
    and if I were there I'd bet I could reach the sky...
    but here it appears I am too small

Researcher of AO-Universe

First, love the concept of the guide, it is indeed true we don't have an in depth look at breeds. My only concern would be you should maybe have asked people in private who play certain breeds to give some personal experience of levelling them. It's not that you're wrong, just that little things can make all the difference, for example missing the early breed cap on trox which caused me more problems than nano pool ever did

Maybe allow people to comment for a while, and update the main post as information trickles in from people?

But lets not knock the idea chaps, if you don't agree with something, tell us why and maybe we can end up with a nice well rounded guide for the stickies (I'll let Regi deal with that, I haven't had my "sticky health and safety" video yet).

I'd like to be supportive of this though, so here are some thoughts on trox and the reality of playing one.

1-109

Perfectly accurate. You eat nano chargers like they're going out of fashion and you look terrible in the reanimators robe. It's not as bad now as it was, back "when all this was just fields" teams would kick you for being trox. Now there are so many trox docs that teams accept it, which makes life easier.

110-175

With a bit of work, I was casting LE at 90 with CI, however my nano pool wasn't really able to support it properly. I was selfcasting every RK nano at 132 when the new symbs went in (none of which I had any problem with) that includes UBT.

The biggest problem in this range is breed caps. You'll breed cap sense, intel and psy around 135-140 and that's it until 201 which is one hell of an obstacle to overcome for symbs and armour. I didn't manage to upgrade the level from 132 chest symb until 216 due to the sense req and having to meet it without sense in chest. (although I didnt have Enhanced DNA trained when I did it, so probably possible a few levels earlier).

If anything other breeds move further away from trox in this level range just due to the early breed caps. On the plus side it means trox saves a bucket load of IP, and with a nano controller unit I was able to happily self CR at 175.

175-220

The struggle for nano delta and2 second tick is now on. You breed capped psychic at level 140ish and you see no natural increase until 201. You'll begin obsessing about items that boost sense, intel, psy. I didn't manage a 2 second tick without sacrifices until 215. Prior to that I'd had enhanced DNA10 trained, sleeves of the servants of eight, anything to boost psy. It's possible a little earlier, but not easy (a lot depends on items like hadrulfs belt).

The first SL heals aren't hard, you'll be selfing everything up to the 216 heal if you built a decent NCR at 175 and took the time to get enough aliumz levels for CoNC10. With the additional nano skills from LE, you should have no trouble selfing the 216+ heals now (I did, but then LE hadn't been released).

Naturally lower nano cost cap means you still need one eye on nano at 220 if you want to chain DoT or need to spam BI hard (only doc in APF for example). Depending on towers and org contracts, you'll probably need CoNC, Nano doctorate maxed for nano skills.

Mongo rage will be useless, or at least no trox doc has found a use for it worth 10 perk points yet. You'll have higher HP, but not by as much as some people seem to think, especially if the other person has a higher chest / leg symb in. So although you'll come out top on HP, it really is open to debate as to how much difference that makes. If anything doc is the prof where final max HP has the least impact as we're capable of raising our own HP by such a large ammount. A trox with 25k compared to a solitus with 23.8k for example wouldn't suggest to me that trox was a far and away better choice, because that 1.2k HP hides a lot of other differences which are argueably more important (higher nano cost reduction, higher symbs, better genome perks?)

Trox is currently flavour of the month for docs, I would personally never change, but then I loved the challenge of doing it when very few already had. Some would say the rewards are worth the effort, I would say you'll end up with a better overall doc on solitus (higher nano cost reduction, not much difference in HP, higher symbs) or opifex (just for the symbs).
    Last edited by Siorai; Jan 31st, 2007 at 10:37:54.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Grumpy "Siorai" Oldgit - 220.25 Clan Atrox Doctor - Screenshot - Equip (old)

First trox doc on RK1 using Blades of Boltar.

My Spirit Shroud Hell - Over 1400 kills with no drop.

Bump for a good guide!

I'd like to add as Opifex that Opi's cap Int+Psy pretty early too which is annoying in the late tl4/early tl5. (and opi will cap strength as early as a nanomage).

Implants and symbs are easy though so its not that big of a problem.

Atrox doctors and "Maximum HP!!!" is a stupid fad and should be squashed by those of us in the doctor community that actually know what they're doing. The fact that the doctor professional is an Atrox is sad. I usually keep my mouth shut 99% of the time in forum matters, but seeing "Atrox 5/5" makes me want to slaughter some kittens while making my way to the toilet to vomit violently for hours on end before finally stabbing my eyes out to hopefully never see words like that again.

My guide would probably consist of:

Nanomage/Solitus - go for it
    Opifex - cool, but not as cool as nano/solitus (do the pvp thing with them)
    Atrox - delete your character and roll an enforcer, keeper or soldier immediately. If you can't kick the healing with an atrox phase, roll an adventurer and save us the shame of seeing ANOTHER, worthless Atrox doctor.

To say "This is a complete look" at breeds available to a doctor is to say "Really you should play these classes for this reason or another." I am flat out telling you, stay away from Atrox as a doctor. It's a painfully bad choice and will phase out eventually when (maybe) people realize that they really do suck compared to an equally geared nano/soli doc or that Funcom says "Why are people doing this? I know, lets make loot Class = Doctor; Breed != Atrox"

/prays for the day that happens.
    Olivia "Haminie" Nguyen - Current Setup - 220 Doctor
    "Intrauterine" Device - Current Setup - 220 Shade

Haminie - Slightly less than twice as uber as Chanelle

To [Destromane]: I'm not a horrible player ;p
    [Destromane]: just a horrible person

Quote Originally Posted by Haminie View Post
    The fact that the doctor professional is an Atrox is sad.
    Being Atrox makes me no less a doctor, but you're entitled to your opinion so I'll say no more

Quote Originally Posted by Haminie View Post
    Atrox doctors and "Maximum HP!!!" is a stupid fad and should be squashed by those of us in the doctor community that actually know what they're doing. The fact that the doctor professional is an Atrox is sad.

Atrox - delete your character and roll an enforcer, keeper or soldier immediately. If you can't kick the healing with an atrox phase, roll an adventurer and save us the shame of seeing ANOTHER, worthless Atrox doctor.
    *logs in to roll a Trox doc immediately after seeing this post*

This thread is funny.

You have a guy who doesn't play a trox doctor saying "ZOMG TROX DOCS OWN", another who doesn't play a trox doctor saying "LOL TROX DOCS SUCK" and the only intelligent post so far regarding trox doctors comes from (surprise surprise) the guy who actually plays one.

Also, how does that make him a bad professional?
    Angelmed - 220/20/64 - F1, UBT, AFK
    (stuff) - (more)
    Bigdumbnoob - 150 Alium Killer
    And the alt army

Mmba, appreciate the effort, and hope you won't let the feedback deter you from working on the guide.

What I would find helpful is a much more extended discussion of the role of (endgame) symbiants in breed selection.

Which symbs will you not be able to get in as a Trox/Soli/NM/Opi depending on playstyle? Depending on playstyle here defined as ranging from "fanatic with loads of credz who can afford all twinking items to casual Doc who wants to get to 220 but isn't fussed about not getting the highest Symbs in."

From reading the forums I have the sense that breed has a pretty major impact on how far you can go with symbs without major effort, and that may well be a pretty big factor for some players.

So what symbs do you give up as a casual 210-220 Trox/NM/Opi/Soli and does it matter in your effectiveness in the endgame?

Cheers,

Saw
    Sawbones2 220/22 NM Doc, General of Pantheon
    Rootntootm 220/25 Soli Crat
    Rockmsockm 212/19 Trox Enfo
    Swaptioneer 175/13 Opi Tradah
    Sliderule 134/11 Soli Engie

I only origionaly intented to point out problems but you seemed to be more concerned with defending your guide than correcting it. True your effort should be congratulated, and I do appologize for reacting and maybe not being contsructive.

I also would like to see your guide updated a lil and then post a reply simply saying good work.

Maybe it would have been better for me to say that I have had a tl7 atrox doc and the problems that arise and means of correcting them actually negate the hp bonus, a proffession that has high nano init, nanoskills, nanopool, nanocost can afford to put gear and armour on that concentrates on HP, whereas an Atrox has to use gear and perks that help nanoskills,nanocost and nanopool, when you create a breed that has to work to acheive something that its proffesion should achieve fairly naturaly i beleive you are on a bad start. This is why my tl7 atrox will stay retired and never lvl, because i dont want to work on him? ... no because he simply doesnt cut it when things are bad and you realy need a good doc.

Your guide is generally good and helpful but you cant lump a nanomage doc as the worst ( which is effectively what you points system does) breed for a doc. Nanomage can heal and heal and heal..........Dot repeatedly, solo just about anything, actually acheive very high HP and more than some other proffessions simply because of the gear and buffs available to them. perhaps list their benifits and disadvantages without scoring them?

I would also say I was not saying any breed was better than any other, I beleive they all have strengths and weaknesses and all are fun, I have played atrox nanomage and solitus to tl7 one to 220 (yes I love my Docs and I intend doing opifex next). My point was simply that the information was incorrect. The true meaning of a good doc to me is the player behind the toon.

Once again I do appologise for not being more constructive and congratulate you on the idea of helping people with a breed guide well done.
    Last edited by mardman; Jan 31st, 2007 at 15:22:47. Reason: lil to add after rereading

Retired Doc Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Siorai View Post
    First, love the concept of the guide, it is indeed true we don't have an in depth look at breeds. My only concern would be you should maybe have asked people in private who play certain breeds to give some personal experience of levelling them. It's not that you're wrong, just that little things can make all the difference, for example missing the early breed cap on trox which caused me more problems than nano pool ever did

Maybe allow people to comment for a while, and update the main post as information trickles in from people?
    i suppose it would be a good idea to get some opinions from others on docs and edit the guide, so i will do that. for now, i'll let the discussion go on and interpret as i see fit. ill repost when i edit the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmba View Post
    i suppose it would be a good idea to get some opinions from others on docs and edit the guide, so i will do that. for now, i'll let the discussion go on and interpret as i see fit. ill repost when i edit the guide.
    I think thats the best idea. Your effort into getting the ball rolling is comendable, and I do hope you will continue to work on it, would be beneficial for a lot of new docs.

Lets just hope some people can add some constructive information about breed for you to work with and not just "breed x sucks, breed y is perfect" etc.

I think the guide is pretty good. For someone who has never played a doc before, the information is as accurate as it needs to be. My opinion.

I want to throw in that Rockempire is nanomage but I don't feel like being NM was guaranteed gimpage. I would prefer to be solitus or opifex but no biggie. For my playstyle nanomage is perfect. I can self-equip without outside buffs **every single piece of my gear** including ql300 chosen pads, MBC, ql300 paramedics, ql240 symbs, etc. I can self cast BI and I'm at 15,265 HP self buffed so far. A few more items will push me past 16k.

The way I see it, the only disadvantage of being nanomage with my style of play is the loss of some HP. But I still have absolute gobs of it, so it's not that big a deal to me.

Retired Doc Professional
    i removed the scores which i orignally had in there. I still have the breeds ranked in the order in which I think they are good, but removing the scores seems like the best idea, and adding some more descriptions from some feedback here can only improve the guide.

Retired Doc Professional
    edit: thanks mardman
    Last edited by Mmba; Jan 31st, 2007 at 23:01:31.

lol at all the atrox flames to funny keep up the good work siorai
    Pawsofury - 220/70/16 Adv
    Dont suffer from insanity..enjoy it

1 out of 4 people in this country are mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem ok, Then your the one.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast